Home
Preview
FIFA Soccer 13 Preview

Being the most popular sports game in the world should come with heavy burdens of trying to top release after release. But for FIFA 13, it’s just another opportunity to improve on what is already considered great.

Plenty of new is headed to FIFA 13. Revolving mainly around gameplay, there are plenty of new and different ways to play on both sides of the ball. But let’s start with offense.

FIFA 13 wants to “deliver unexpected moments” this year. And with new freedom and creativity at your attacking disposal, they just might succeed. You are now able to use a new feature called Complete Dribbling, which allows you to control how you receive a pass, how you dribble and how you shoot. Plus, depending on each player’s ratings, more moves could be at your disposal. It also allows you to dribble in every direction, including backwards. The FIFA Street dribbling mechanics are also in the game, as it is entirely controlled by the analog stick.

Also, the AI has improved on offense. You will no longer see teammates run without turning into what could be a perfect pass. They will know think two plays ahead, and run into the prefect through pass for a striking opportunity. The FIFA team really pushed team play over individual.

Also, players will be able to realize when they may be running offsides. Once they notice, they will slow down, giving you more time to get them the ball. And in order to make passing lanes, you can now create your own by curving through players; something that gamers have been asking about for a long time.

Ultimately, the control on offense has been greatly enhanced. Along with shooting and passing, things such as shielding and bullying will be tools at your fingertips. It also introduces tactical free kicks which you can edit on your own.

On the defensive side, all the total body control from the offense translates directly to the defense. The AI knows where to be and how to counter attack. Also, tackling has been improved. You won’t be able to just run up and mash your buttons anymore. Tackling needs to be timed, and timed well.

There is a little bit of optional cheating in FIFA 13. On defense, it’s easier to bully the ball carrier if you’re using a big-bodied player; your strength could possibly shake the ball loose. But if you’re not careful, you’ll knock him down and get flagged. Also, you can slowly and sneakily move closer when formed in the wall. But again, you get caught, you get flagged.

Overall FIFA 13 sounds like it’s working on becoming another solid game.

FIFA Soccer 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 02:15 PM
I REALLY hope FIFA does a better job off the field.

You can expect that the Player Impact Engine is going to get better. The tweaks make great gameplay greater.

HOWEVER, in Manager Mode, FIFA somewhat lacks.
Player scouting seems interesting, until you realize that you can't sell the players you signed through your youth program.
Scouted players are also ALWAYS slow, or have no stamina at all.
After 5 or so seasons in, there is a noticeable absence of amazing young talent, as the best scout player you can find is rated at 69 overall. Player progression is somewhat slow and seemingly unpredictable.
Unfortunately we can't find the next Neymar, and after a while, all of the top talent gets old and there is no youth to replace it. At 6 years in, I searched for the best player under the age of 19. The player's overall was 71, entirely unlike the game we see today.

# 2 Wavebird99 @ 06/13/12 04:01 PM
^ yea, totally agree. scouting young players needs to be overhauled completely. i did find a Brazillian kid who was really fast and had great striking ability, but he progressed soooo slowly. He had a 91 potential but was only a 70 at the age of 20. Itd be great if you found some kids who could actually progress fast

# 3 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 04:16 PM
I believe in FIFA 10 or 08 you could scout instant starters for a mid-level european club (Bolton, Udinese), players that had similar statistics to the real players. I remember scouting a Brazilian with 96 sprint speed, and a Moroccan striker with 78 overall. Perhaps if player progression improved, we'd have a much better time with the youth academy system.

# 4 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/13/12 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metronomymarkus
i often had difficulty passing to the players i wanted to. this would REALLY upset me. i hope that the passing has been modified so that i pass EXACTLY to the player i want to.
Or you could just turn on manual controls which does exactly what you just described?

# 5 sikolec @ 06/13/12 05:11 PM
I'm interested to see what added leagues are in FIFA 13. Rumors of the Saudi Arabia league thus far, but we shall see...

# 6 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/13/12 05:17 PM
I love the sound of these new gameplay improvements but we really need to see some big improvements to manager mode, namely like others said in scouting. I don't even bother scouting any more because the players are usually rubbish and never seem to reach their potential, I think it should be possible to find the next Messi or the next Ronaldo providing your staff and facilities are good enough.

By facilities I mean that your youth facilities are actually good enough to develop your player and good enough to attract him in the first place. Note how in real life teams like Barcalona of course produce heaps on young talent due to La Masia. However note how a lesser team, Sporting Lisbon also produces a lot of great young players. This is due to their training facilities and leads me to my next point...

I think that FIFA should borrow some ideas from FM for their manager mode, namely a deeper interaction with the board and the ability to improve your youth facilities etc. This way you could really focus on growing your team rather than buying players. You could try and create a state of the art youth facility like La Masia or in other clubs.

Finally I think another simple but key change should be the transfer negotiations, at the minute they are too basic. You send in a transfer and its either accepted or rejected, same with contracts. If its rejected you keep submitted bids until it's accepted. There are be a system of real negotian, where you can submit counter offers and things like that. In fact I think I remember something a bit like this in an older version of FIFA.

# 7 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/13/12 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
I'm interested to see what added leagues are in FIFA 13. Rumors of the Saudi Arabia league thus far, but we shall see...
Hopefully the argentinian league and I would love to see the Carling premiership as well as a few others. Maybe try and get a few more international licenses, namely Brazil but maybe Poland a few others as well.

# 8 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyEdgeworth
By facilities I mean that your youth facilities are actually good enough to develop your player and good enough to attract him in the first place. Note how in real life teams like Barcalona of course produce heaps on young talent due to La Masia. However note how a lesser team, Sporting Lisbon also produces a lot of great young players. This is due to their training facilities and leads me to my next point...

I think that FIFA should borrow sme ideas from FM for their manager mode, namely a deeper intereaction with the board and the ability to improve your youth facilities etc. This way you could really focus on growing your team rather than buying players.
I remember in an older FIFA game having to level up your stadium to maximize revenue, and having to level up your coaches, your negotiator, and your scout to improve the chances of developing that next great player. It was always fun to bring a team like Sheffield Utd or another lower tier team up to the level of Man U or Barca with these investment-style improvements

# 9 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/13/12 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOwusu
I remember in an older FIFA game having to level up your stadium to maximize revenue, and having to level up your coaches, your negotiator, and your scout to improve the chances of developing that next great player. It was always fun to bring a team like Sheffield Utd or another lower tier team up to the level of Man U or Barca with these investment-style improvements
Yeah this is what I love, I'm a huge football manager fan as well and its great to that, way more fun that just playing as a top team. You can build up a team in FIFA 12 but not in the same way, for the me the only way you can do it is by buying and then selling players off for a profit and then slowyl rebuilding your team. However, its not very realistic and its very basic. At the minute in my FIFA career I have brought Swindon Town to the Premier League and I'm in 2017/18 season, it was quite fun but gets pretty boring and like I said the realism just isn't there, it should be very difficult and take much longer than that.

Although I guess the other way of looking at it is, FIFA is for the gameplay and if you want a deep career then just stick to football manager.

# 10 MachoMyers @ 06/13/12 05:28 PM
Hopefully more fouls are called this year.

# 11 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyEdgeworth
Although I guess the other way of looking at it is, FIFA is for the gameplay and if you want a deep career then just stick to football manager.
But FIFA could have BOTH. And it has in the past. Adding something simple like realism in scouting could seriously benefit the series.
It's so awesome being able to play more than just 3 or 4 years without having the game "break" in my opinion.

# 12 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 05:36 PM
And I totally agree with the fouls thing, but I hear the tweaks with the player impact engine should help improve referee awareness.

# 13 BlingBling19 @ 06/13/12 06:44 PM
The CPU better not be able to just crash into you and take the ball at will with no fouls being called. I have NEVER EVER EVER seen a CPU get a red card in a match.

Hopefully foul frequency gets a overhaul. Really the only thing that is holding this game back from being the best game out there I think.

# 14 Matt10 @ 06/13/12 08:39 PM
I think instead of freeing up the players, FREE UP THE BALL.

Gameplay for the user controls is great and all - but heavily tweak the AI and pin point clearances straight to offensive player. That is just too unrealistic, and can't seem to be fixed honestly.

The ball physics are also the same they've been since 2001 (2000 was a great fifa year) - it's hard to explain, but it seems like everything is on a string no matter what; like a predestined event. I loved this game at first, and it's only 2 points away from over-taking PES in my opinion.

# 15 ronaldo9 @ 06/13/12 08:47 PM
I constantly find it amusing that people clamor for new leagues in the game (Saudi league?!) or new commentary over gameplay enhancements!

# 16 tizorch @ 06/13/12 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier12
Hopefully more fouls are called this year.

Amen to that brother!

# 17 nvinceable1 @ 06/13/12 11:18 PM
Quote:
hmmmm manual controls...ill give that a try! r u saying that this entire time i've had AI direct my passing, and that's why i've been getting frustrated?
Full manual control is the only way to play a proper game of FIFA! It can be frustrating at times but it's so much more rewarding when you hit that perfectly placed though ball or place a shot just so. One word of advice, the game will be forever ruined should you choose to play full manual versus full assisted. Don't get me wrong, I can hold my own against assisted players but you'll experience the pain of getting robbed time and time again by the exploit-esque goals that go along with assisted controls. The best solution is to play other full manual players, it's an entirely different and more realistic game. Luckily, we've built up quite a large community of full-manual players, including several full-manual clubs.

# 18 kasa @ 06/14/12 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
yes, finally the Saudi Arabian leugue, for years everybody was asking for it!! (hopefully everybody understands this is cynical)

# 19 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/14/12 06:44 AM
Quote:
hmmmm manual controls...ill give that a try! r u saying that this entire time i've had AI direct my passing, and that's why i've been getting frustrated?
Yes, that is what I am saying. You ca turn everything from shooting to crossing into manual, the ball goes at the excat spot you aim it and with exact amount of power.

# 20 ps3veron @ 06/14/12 01:27 PM
People, this, The Show and 2K are the last 3 games you will need in your life. Can't wait!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.