Home
Preview
NBA 2K14 Preview (Xbox 360)

The demo of the current gen version of NBA 2K14 I played at gamescom feels and plays a lot like last year’s game with a couple of refinements and tweaks that hardcore fans will definitely appreciate. I was expecting something similar to 2K13 due to the next gen release but honestly I was a bit disappointed to see almost the exact same presentation even down to the same camera angles before tip off.

After a couple of games you do see the gameplay improvements shine through a bit more. 

The most noticeable change to this year’s game and probably a real game changer is the new blocking system. Not only do you get to see awesome block animations, the feel and reward of playing defense is much higher than last year. On one possession, I played great defense against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs until the end of the shot clock, at which point I blocked his shot because he couldn't get a good one off. You really feel the presence of good shot blockers around the rim this year. Great addition.

Defense on the whole felt a lot stronger as offensive players tend to lose the ball when going into traffic and a lot of contact animations are triggered around the rim. Defense movement seemed improved as well – all in all I really liked playing defense, it was a lot more fun than in last year’s games.

On offense there are some great improvements as well. Passing animations and speed are noticeably improved plus the addition of the stick as a passing trigger felt great too. Shooting is a lot more responsive as well – unfortunately there are still those very quick release points where you don’t have the opportunity to really hang in the air while shooting. Shot releases did feel disconnected again for me which was very disappointing to see.

Another thing I didn’t see a lot of improvements in was the floor spacing. You can tell that they were trying to address the issue (which has plagued the series for years) and the faster passes and jump shots did help a bit – but the main problem with help defense being too one-dimensional and defensive recovery being too quick still exists. Also the teammate AI doesn’t space the floor well enough when penetrating. On one occasion I had Parker of the spurs on Chris Bosh in the post & paint and no Spurs player came to help.

Hope they can fix this issue in the next gen versions.

The new Pro Stick needs a little getting used to at first. I had some instances where I wanted to dribble but went up for the shot. Overall I liked this setting more than holding down LT for a shot or drive. There are a couple of nice new dribbling animations as well.

There were other positive aspects as well. Biting on pump fakes can cause very realistic looking animations where players fall over each other. Contact animations in the paint seemed more varied but you can´t really tell how good or varied they are from playing only a couple of games. I did see some familiar contact drive animations from 2K13 a little too much. I saw a one handed dunk by Lennard on Haslem which looked almost exactly like the one in he NBA finals against Miller. I had the feeling that dunks were a little bit more explosive as well.

Playing the Euroleague teams feels a little different as a result of different defensive schemes. 

Overall I liked the improvements a lot after playing for a while but was disappointed to see some issues I had with the last couple of games still existed (jump shots & spacing). This is the year of the first next gen version of NBA 2K so I can understand that the wheel won´t be reinvented with the last big current gen effort. NBA 2K14 will may very well be the best version of NBA 2K to date – just don´t expect a  very different game.

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 vannwolfhawk @ 08/23/13 05:46 PM
Great read and write up! Thanks!

# 22 Da_Czar @ 08/23/13 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
How was the spacing in the version you played Czar? And defensive closeouts.
Spacing was great and the recovery was close. A tad to fast still but nothing like what wolf is describing. That has me concerned as it's probably his build was much later than the one I played. If they left the option in I am not concerned about the spacing... IF.

# 23 jersez @ 08/23/13 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Spacing was great and the recovery was close. A tad to fast still but nothing like what wolf is describing. That has me concerned as it's probably his build was much later than the one I played. If they left the option in I am not concerned about the spacing... IF.
Wolf or Czar either of you can answer this lol, can you beat a defender if he's closing out too fast, like in real life.

# 24 DaWolf @ 08/23/13 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
What option do you mean? Like telling my guys to space the floor with the d pad?

# 25 DaWolf @ 08/23/13 05:52 PM
Quote:
Wolf or Czar either of you can answer this lol, can you beat a defender if he's closing out too fast, like in real life.
I would answer with a simple "no" - or not like we want it to be

# 26 Aviator S @ 08/23/13 05:58 PM
Hello DaWolf:

How is the post game? Are Post Fadeaways and Post Hooks usable like in NBA 2K12? Also did anyone get any new jumpshots? I know LeBron got his mo capped and all but did wade, bosh, parker duncan get anything new? Thanks for sharing

# 27 DaWolf @ 08/23/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator S
Hello DaWolf:

How is the post game? Are Post Fadeaways and Post Hooks usable like in NBA 2K12? Also did anyone get any new jumpshots? I know LeBron got his mo capped and all but did wade, bosh, parker duncan get anything new? Thanks for sharing
Post game hard to answer dont know what you mean with usable. Didnt use it much tbh. New jump shots are included. Duncan for sure, Wade a little different, lebrons was a lot better, bosh the same. they all feel a little better because of the faster reaction times.

# 28 Aviator S @ 08/23/13 06:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. What I meant when I said usable was that in NBA 2K13, the post play/game has been diminished and not effective as in NBA 2K12 it was a strong point and made folks want to play in the post. As for sim players this is important to establish a post presence because you can orchestrate your offence from that spot and work the defense around.

# 29 Rawdeal28 @ 08/23/13 06:15 PM
Quote:
Hello DaWolf:
How is the post game? Are Post Fadeaways and Post Hooks usable like in NBA 2K12?
i second this question. i hated the feel of the Post game in 13. Hooks rarely would go in and Fadeaways were tough to do on command.

# 30 jersez @ 08/23/13 06:17 PM
Speaking of 2k12, are dribble pull-ups back like 2k12, or is it the same slow pullups from 2k13?

# 31 DaWolf @ 08/23/13 06:36 PM
Quote:
Speaking of 2k12, are dribble pull-ups back like 2k12, or is it the same slow pullups from 2k13?
You mean momentum shots/ leaners?

# 32 jersez @ 08/23/13 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
You mean momentum shots/ leaners?
Like the one two pull up shots, in 2k12 you held the LT or L2 and pushed the right stick the direction you want to pull up from. Think of the dirk signature one foot shots.

# 33 thedream2k13 @ 08/23/13 06:52 PM
Quote:
Hello DaWolf:

They are "useable " in 2k13! They are ratings based and have specific release points like jumpshots

# 34 tonyt8605 @ 08/23/13 06:55 PM
What do we know about the next-gen version? Is it supposed to be a completely different game (presentation, modes, etc.)?

I mean what should make us by the next gen vs. the current gen one?

# 35 thedream2k13 @ 08/23/13 06:55 PM
Sucks that we keep getting preset quick release jumpers instead of the fully controlled ones we had in 2k8. Seems like they want to keep jumpshots "accessible " also like in 2k12 and 13. SMH

# 36 sweatyteddytaco @ 08/23/13 07:05 PM
I want Crew info so I can know if I'll cancel or keep my preorder. That is all.

# 37 NINJAK2 @ 08/23/13 07:07 PM
Quote:
Man playing defense sounds like you don't have to catch a bullet with your teeth anymore LOL

What about signature dribbling?
Catching bullets with your teeth..Man that ain't nothing Jersez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Ll9h7EPTA

playing D in 2k13 was much harder

Thanks for the impressions DaWolf- In your short play sessions did 2k14 feel like a neccessary pick up if you already have 2k13? I think the defense alone may justify it..

# 38 thedream2k13 @ 08/23/13 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyteddytaco
I want Crew info so I can know if I'll cancel or keep my preorder. That is all.
If u like bball you should get 2k regardless if created players can be online unless u casual player of course

# 39 Gramps91 @ 08/23/13 07:28 PM
Got to say although I was disappointed at first that there didn't seem to be much new in presentation, the fact that the gameplay has been improved is really starting to grow on me. Still in heavy debate about whether to get this gen or next.

# 40 ForeverVersatile @ 08/23/13 07:52 PM
Two part question.
Did the dribbling on the pro stick flow better? I felt it was a little stiff and slow just to switch hands back and forth while standing still. Was there anything signature about the dribbling unlike last year where everyone did the same animations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.