Home
MotoGP 09/10 REVIEW

MotoGP 09/10 Review (Xbox 360)

MotoGP 09/10 is a game which tries to straddle the line between arcade racing and true simulation. The game not only does an admirable job of mixing the two the styles of play, but it can be tweaked to be either/or, so MotoGP 09/10 might just appeal to a broader sect of racing fans than the average racing game.

The meat of this game is the very in depth career mode. Career mode allows you to own and operate a racing team which your duties include hiring staff members such as press officers, who help you find sponsors and engineers to help you upgrade your bike. The career mode is built on a reputation system, the better you qualify and place the more your reputation increases. The better your reputation the better staff you have available to hire.

The ultimate goal of course is to work your way up from the 150cc bikes, to the 250cc bikes and then finally the MotoGP series. This takes quite a long time to do. And while I don’t have a problem with making a player work their way up through career mode I do have a problem with the upper classes being locked in the other modes until you’ve earned them in career mode. There is no playing through a MotoGP season or 250cc season unless you’ve made it to those series in career mode. This is a major complaint of mine, but one each potential gamer can make for themselves when considering purchasing MotoGP 09/10.

While that can be considered a design flaw, on the track the game is sound. The bikes have a good feel to them, even if they are a bit a twitchy through the turns. A gentle touch will have riders leaning though the turns flawlessly. A big plus to the game is the ability to tune it to your style of play. If you want to have a brutally realistic experience you can turn off all the assists, like traction control or anti-lock brakes. This makes the bikes incredible hard to control, but will offer a rewarding challenge to those who desire the realism. Going in the other direction, you can turn on all the assists and maybe turn the difficulty down a notch and turn on the excellent racing line overlay for a little more help and still have a good time. There is also a rewind feature like the one found in Forza 3 which allows you do redo a part during the race where you made a mistake. The game is fun and challenging either way, usually the races are very close -- possibly due to some rubber band AI -- and feature lots of tight pack-racing.

On the track the only real issues to be found are the aforementioned rubber band AI, which sometimes just seem to have more horsepower than you for no real reason other than to catch up and make the races close. It’s a little annoying, but not too big of an issue.

The game shines graphically while on the track.

On the track, the game also shines graphically. The game looks great; the tracks are detailed, very smooth and offer good variety. The game also sports some really good looking rain effects though the rain doesn’t seem to affect the bikes handling. The drivers do look a little stiff in their animations, but that is not something that comes to light often. The game’s best aspect graphically is the true sense of speed it delivers. At top speed the sides of the screen black out just a bit to create a slight tunnel vision effect, which really emphasizes how fast you’re going and gives the gamer the feeling of being just on the edge of control. Unfortunately there is no damage modeling on the bikes, though being motorcycles I do not see much damage that could be done anyways. Still, without being able to damage your bike there is no really punishment for having an in-race collision since they do not often result in wrecks.

In the audio area there is not all that much to talk about. There is a small soundtrack that plays during the menus and races which I found not to my taste and very repetitive, but that’s something easily remedied with an MP3 player and a USB cable. The sounds of the bikes are fairly standard fare, with the high pitched whine of the engines sounding dead on accurate to my ears. In a career mode you get a race manager to guide along your career both during the race and outside of it. He’s helpful at the beginning, but pretty quickly wears out his welcome with his repetitive advice. After racing a full season does he really think I need help understanding the concept of qualifying?

If you want to take the game online you can race in a standalone race using either a real GP rider and their bike or you can use your own bike from career mode. That’s pretty much it aside from a leader board for lap times. Its pretty bare bones fare, but at least it is there.

MotoGP is sure to please motorcycle racing fans.

Final Thoughts

MotoGP 09/10 should please fans of motorcycle racing, since it provides a very realistic experience if you turn of all the assists that are on by default. It has plenty of tracks and riders and a very deep career mode, all of which should satisfy fans of this type of racing. It does have broader appeal to those just looking for a new experience. The assist and difficulty customization will ensure a gentle curve for newcomers and will allow them to jump right in and have fun.

On the track: Realistic, but not too twitchy or unforgiving.

Graphics: Great looking game, tremendous sense of speed and nice rain effects.

Entertainment Value: Very high with the deep carrer mode, even higher for fans of motorcycle racing.

Learning Curve: Perfect. It’s incredibly adjustable and racers of all skills should find a mix of settings that is challenging but not frustrating.

Online Play: Bare bones, with only single races available, though 20 bike fields are a plus.

Score: 8.0 (Good)

MotoGP 09/10 Score
Deep career mode.
Great looking game.
Very adjustable difficulty.
Higher bike classes locked from start.
Some rubber band AI issues.
Limited online features.
out of 10
MotoGP 09/10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bash @ 05/06/10 11:23 AM
Is there a demo?

# 2 Kruza @ 05/06/10 01:20 PM
This is a well-written review. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
Is there a demo?
The MotoGP 09/10 demo has been out for several weeks.

Kruza

# 3 Bornindamecca @ 05/08/10 06:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm TERRIBLE at this game. Any tips? I searched for tutorial vids but came up empty.

# 4 BIG CAROLINA @ 05/08/10 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Hey guys, I'm TERRIBLE at this game. Any tips? I searched for tutorial vids but came up empty.
http://www.xboxliveaddicts.co.uk/for...showforum=500&

Check out this site Born. You may have to register though. Best site on the net for 2 wheel racing IMO.

# 5 Bornindamecca @ 05/08/10 07:11 PM
Thanks a bunch, man. I hate being this bad at a game. Hopefully I can get some technique from here. Much appreciated.

# 6 BIG CAROLINA @ 05/10/10 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Thanks a bunch, man. I hate being this bad at a game. Hopefully I can get some technique from here. Much appreciated.
No problem. I just picked this up for something different until my copy of SBK X arrives.

# 7 texbuk84 @ 05/11/10 05:35 PM
I was thinking about getting this game and this review will definitely help with my decision. Thanks

# 8 Ronin05 @ 05/12/10 10:47 AM
Ok guess I'm going to be the only one who says it but I can't believe we played the same game. MotoGP 09/10 is terrible. plain and simple. It's not hard and it's not a matter of techinque, point blank the game is bad. It controls bad and it plays bad. It is designed badly and executed even worse. I guess that is if you are actually looking for a motorcycle game that plays like a motorcycle (this isn't a question of sim vs arcade either). I really tired of people making excuses for bad motorcycle games, because if it were Madden or NBA live you'd nail EA to the cross if they dropped anything like this on the public.

Great graphics? The only thing great about the graphics is the frame rate. The bikes are designed wrong, the bikes/riders/tracks are out of scale. Tracks lack elevation changes. you don't really need to use the brakes. The sounds aren't bad....they are HORRIBLE. Non mappable controllers, 3 lap only races..... the list just goes on and on.

If there were Capcom's Super Streetfighter MiniMotoBike GP then the game still would be bad. But at what is supposed to be a game based of the MotoGP series this is truly pathetic. I am not a hard core sim guy either. I loved Namaco's MotoGP series which was as Arcade as you can get. Huge fan of Sega's Super Hang On & Manx TT, as well as the Motoracer PC game. MotoGP 09/10 is an insult to any fan of motorcycling, motorcycle gaming and MotoGP. The sales of this title have proven that

# 9 BIG CAROLINA @ 05/13/10 02:27 PM
Ronin my man you are correct. The only thing I will disagree with is the fact that there are elevation changes but other than that Monumental needs to stay away from Moto GP.

# 10 Ronin05 @ 05/15/10 08:40 PM
Big Carolina, when I said no elevation changes what I meant was this....At Mugello for example, it has lots of elevation changes. In the game when you are going up or down a hill, you see the changes, but never "feel" the changes. The bike never reacts to the changes. Uphill the motor doesn't work harder, downhill you don't gain speed, suspension never reacts, etc........ and this is the same for track surface in regards to bumps or surface types, so for the most part the game feels like you are riding on flat pool tables. You take MotoGP 08 for example you the bikes react to the different surface types and elevation changes.

# 11 BIG CAROLINA @ 05/16/10 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin05
Big Carolina, when I said no elevation changes what I meant was this....At Mugello for example, it has lots of elevation changes. In the game when you are going up or down a hill, you see the changes, but never "feel" the changes. The bike never reacts to the changes. Uphill the motor doesn't work harder, downhill you don't gain speed, suspension never reacts, etc........ and this is the same for track surface in regards to bumps or surface types, so for the most part the game feels like you are riding on flat pool tables. You take MotoGP 08 for example you the bikes react to the different surface types and elevation changes.
Ohhh ok I see what you are saying. Yeah I dumped this game quick and went back to GP 08 and SBk.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.