Home
Backbreaker REVIEW

Backbreaker Review (Xbox 360)

When you see the number 12, what do you think of? A dozen eggs? The months of a year? Well, how about my first 12 possessions in a Human vs. CPU game of Backbreaker: fumble, fumble, fumble, interception, interception, field goal, interception, interception, interception, interception, fumble and interception.

Simply put, Backbreaker has turned a sports gamer’s nightmare into a reality by failing to live up to its hype.

During the last couple of years, everyone in the football universe has been talking about whether or not Backbreaker would serve as a solid alternate to the EA franchise. The game was delayed multiple times while wars were waged on message boards all around the world, but now that the game has finally been released, it is clear that not even an extra year of development time could have fixed this title.

I say that because the gameplay in Backbreaker is its biggest downfall by far. It does not even feel as realistic as an old NFL Blitz title. Yes, the game is something new, but it cannot hide its major flaws.

One problem deals with the amount of turnovers that are committed in each game. I’m not talking about three turnovers a game. No, I’m talking about turnover numbers that can range from 10 to 20 per game. Here are just two quarterback stat lines I have witnessed:

(5-28), 7 INT
(1-16), 12 INT

That's really bad.

The game feels like it is moving at a lightning fast speed, which can very frustrating when you first start out. However, after you get the hang of the speed, you will start to understand how to cope with it much more easily. The camera angle also adds to the initial confusion. (For those who have not seen any media for the game, the camera zooms in on the player you are controlling.) Since the camera is so close to your player, it is hard to see what is going on around the field, which is both good and bad. It adds to the realism of an actual football game by giving the AI a chance to blindside you, but when you’re on defense, the camera angle makes it tough to keep up with the ball.

On offense, passing the ball is easy right up until you throw interception after interception. And if you don’t throw an interception, then you’ll get sacked and drop the ball while attempting a forward pass -- but have no fear, that forward pass will be ruled a fumble. When running the ball, expect a loss of five yards or a 50-yard touchdown.

While playing defense, the general issue is the aforementioned camera angle. I do enjoy the camera angle to an extent on defense because it really feels like a brand new experience, but again, it is hard to see what is going on during a play.

The graphics in Backbreaker are nothing special. All the stadiums and player models seem identical sans a few different traits. The players do not really stand out as individuals because they are just a bunch of athletes running around with visors. Basically, the graphics do not really hurt the game, but they do not help the game either.

Beyond the experience on the field, there is actually a reason why Backbreaker will be a huge hit one day: the customization options. If you have the desire and patience to create anything, from your high school team to a college team to even the entire NFL, then you have tapped into what Backbreaker is all about. You get to create and re-create anything you want. When you start a season, you create your own league, add in your own teams or the pre-made ones, and then you place them however you see fit. It is hard to give the customizable features just one short paragraph in this review, but this is one area of the game you just need to appreciate and explore. Make sure you call in sick to work or skip class to toy around with this element of the game.

The other mode in this game that will make Backbreaker a force to be reckoned with (assuming the gameplay gets overhauled in the future) is Tackle Alley (TA). TA is one of the most intriguing and addicting game modes I have ever played. You are faced with the challenge of reaching the end zone while using various dodge moves to avoid your opponents. There are 100 waves in this mode, and these waves begin to get very complicated once you make it to wave 50. If you beat the final wave, you unlock a hidden team, which is presumably the best team in the game. (For those of you with the Backbreaker iPhone application, TA is identical to it -- this version just has a ton of added flare.)

Beware of playing Backbreaker online because it has already turned into a big cheese fest. While the servers are very impressive and stable, the opponents really ruin the online experience. "Cheesing" in Backbreaker is very easy to do because of the game speed. After you snap the ball online, you will be sacked early and often. However, turnovers are not as rampant online because you are playing a real person rather than the unintelligent CPU-controlled teams.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Backbreaker is another game that had all the hype in the world, but now that it is out, it cannot get out of the way of its own hype train. I do think the game could be a great game in time, but the little errors and glitches really add up in this one. In addition to that, TA is one of the best mini-games I have ever played. But even with that mini-game and all of the customization options Backbreaker has to offer, the lack of quality gameplay really knocks it flat on its back. If you want sim, do not even look at this game. If you simply want to play a fun football game that is emulating an arcade experience, just boot up NFL Blitz again.

On the Field
: Don’t remind me how terrible it is.

Graphics: Not good or bad, just bland.

Sound: Awesome at first, but by the third game, you will be sick of P.O.D.

Entertainment Value: It can be fun with a friend, but the frustration will take hold sooner rather than later.

Learning Curve: There is a surprisingly steep learning curve to the game. Getting used to the camera angles is a big part of that curve.

Online: Great servers, but bad opponents.

Score: 5 (Average)

Backbreaker Score
Customization.
Tackle alley.
Tackle animations.
Gameplay.
Turnovers.
Rushing offense.
out of 10
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 161 TombSong @ 06/11/10 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrooks111
Even though the game has released and has turned out to be garbage the Backbreaker supporters are still angry if anyone calls it less than stellar.

A shocking turn of events.
I was a critic of the game before it was released, and during the first few days of the demo. After I learned how to play the thing, my opinion of it changed. No one is saying the game is the end all be all. Its however better than these reviews. How can you judge a games worth based on your inability to play it well ?

I will fault the Devs of the game for not including a better tutorial and a practice mode. The game needs it badly because it does have a big learning curve.

# 162 boooey @ 06/11/10 01:51 PM
So who actually wrote this review? Was it Chris? or someone else form OS?

Whoever it was should at least post here where they were coming from when writing that review.

If nothing else, it will stop all the speculation and wild accusations of the motivation behind this review.

I would really like to know what they think of all the negative feedback from their review, and if their stance may have changed as a result of some of the comments being posted about the time spent actually playing the game.

# 163 mestevo @ 06/11/10 02:17 PM
Why would their stance on a game change because people disagreed with them? Only in the world of the Backbreaker fan does cornering a reviewer about their negative review result in the revelation for all that the game is actually better than the dozens of reviewers and posters in the impression thread have indicated.

# 164 boooey @ 06/11/10 02:36 PM
Some people here are saying that the reviewer did not play the game long enough to get past the initial learning curve.

The reviewer may then take this into account , and go back and re-review the game based on these comments.

Either way, I'd like to see a reply from Chris or whoever wrote the review.
I'd like to hear their response to all the negative feedback.

# 165 debauchlord @ 06/11/10 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
Some people here are saying that the reviewer did not play the game long enough to get past the initial learning curve.

The reviewer may then take this into account , and go back and re-review the game based on these comments.

Either way, I'd like to see a reply from Chris or whoever wrote the review.
I'd like to hear their response to all the negative feedback.
This will never happen. Only in the universe of internet obsessions would any of that make sense. Negative feedback? I want the "concept" of this game to succeed. I hate Backbreaker in its current incarnation. I do not want this particular game to be an alternative. I'd rather have it fail and some company with any greater concept on how to craft a viable game to do so. Basically, I'd rather stand alone in the corner at the dance than choose between two ugly chicks.

# 166 Valdarez @ 06/11/10 03:08 PM
I just read this review. I wasn't going to post this, but then I read the comments. The review has extremely poor analysis, lacks details of the game, and contains a ton of filler. This review doesn't live up to the quality of reviews we expect from OS. It needs to be removed, and someone else needs to review the game.

# 167 Phobia @ 06/11/10 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I just read this review. I wasn't going to post this, but then I read the comments. The review has extremely poor analysis, lacks details of the game, and contains a ton of filler. This review doesn't live up to the quality of reviews we expect from OS. It needs to be removed, and someone else needs to review the game.
Agreed

# 168 debauchlord @ 06/11/10 04:03 PM
Quote:
Journalistically, there can't be a retraction; the best you'll get is a "second opinion". If the game takes off or the patch fixes everything, the likelihood of that happening gets greater, but don't count on it. As an aside, not sure why anyone on OS cares anyway, many of us are well within their minds to formulate their own opinion. People who go to OS for reviews seem more to be of the "Ha, that in/validates my own opinion!" rather than the "looks good but...." type.

# 169 domovsdomo @ 06/11/10 05:57 PM
The reason people voted BB a 10 is because they are excited. They have every right to be. 505 Games and NM has introduced us to a new and exciting football game with an amazing amount of promise. WOW!! BB is getting a lot of attention....very very nice. Keep spreading the word!

I gave BB a 8.

As we all know and can agree on, there's a lot of issues with this game. I mean A LOT! What we're

gonna do is put all of those issues in a box. Then write on the side of the box, "Things the good

ol patch Doctor can fix." Forget about those things for now and focus on things that can not be

patched.

Balls.

EA has been making their version of football for over twenty years. For whatever reason, Maddenis King of video game football. With that being said, you must have a great set to have the nerve to compete against them. For me that speaks volumes and NM deserves way more respect then what we've been giving them.

Concept.

Concept is a very important aspect of a game. Concept can't be patched. If you have bad concept, you have to wait until next time. This is where BB shines.

Backbreaker sports a very very exciting and unique way of playing football. It's very different from Madden, 2K, or any other football game you've ever played. There is a steep learning curve. But with an open mind and some patience, you'll be OK.

The game is played in a total 3D third person view (over the shoulder at the QB). It's kinda hard to explain...just one of those things that you have experience for yourself. Once you get the hang of playing, it's CRAZY MAD fun!!

Game play.

Backbreaker's game play is second to none!!! This is the BEST football gaming experience EVER!!!!!! EVER!!!!!! SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

Imagine your at the LOS calling the plays. You're scanning the field checking out the defense. You make your 1st read and then 2nd and 3rd reads. Snap the ball, drop back in the pocket....you check read 1 and it's cover. Then you see read 2 open and you turn and hit em for a 12 yard game. That's how the game feels when your playing it. It feels like your in the middle of the action.

Running the ball is completely sick!!! It really feels like your in the back field following your blockers.

Defense?? CRAZINESS!!!! It's a rewarding feeling to user on defense in BB. It really feels like you're shooting the edge or A Gap. Getting a user pick is awesome too. Especially if you controlled the player the entire time without switching. Big hits and QB sacks...it's just CRAZINESS!!!!

BB is definitely a MUST to play. Play and get over the learning curve, and I promise you'll have an amazing time!

Thanks for reading.

Domo

# 170 Bellsprout @ 06/12/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Would you have said the same thing if the review lacked details of the game, contained a ton of filler, and gave the game a 9 out of 10?

# 171 Knowlegist @ 06/12/10 01:12 AM
This game is just plain aweful. Reviewer had it right.

# 172 ofdman @ 06/12/10 02:25 AM
I agree 100% with this review. The game stinks. BAD! What were the developers thinking with that HORRIBLE camera view? Lame. Lame. Lame game.

# 173 Bellsprout @ 06/12/10 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I love the camera view....you really feel like you are down there....I really do hope the devs don't change anything regarding the view, just because some want to turn this game into their Madden/2K alternate game.....

I'm sure we will see another football game that will use Euphoria..but will have a Sky cam and face bottoms for passing it to receivers...and then everyone who complains about this game can feel right at home...

where as again I like this view....I also liked playing in 1st mode on 2K5.....I like the challenge of playing other gamers in this view.....

I know some want options...but that is just not how the devs want to go about it right now...again just wait for another football game, you don't have to bash the game just because you are not getting what you want....camera view wise.
The camera is such an integral part of the game and one's ability to enjoy it that he has every right to bash the camera if he doesn't like it. It was stupid of the devs not to include options. It's probably cost them sales. Just like people can bitch about what's not in Franchise in Madden, people can bitch about what's not in Backbreaker, and there being no other camera option is a huge omission.

# 174 TombSong @ 06/12/10 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
The camera is such an integral part of the game and one's ability to enjoy it that he has every right to bash the camera if he doesn't like it. It was stupid of the devs not to include options. It's probably cost them sales. Just like people can bitch about what's not in Franchise in Madden, people can bitch about what's not in Backbreaker, and there being no other camera option is a huge omission.
How many camera options does Madden and NCAA have again ?

I do agree, they should have had some camera options in BB though.

# 175 dickey1331 @ 06/12/10 06:15 AM
I think the review was good. I agree with most things he said and after playing the game for awhile I would say its a 5/10 and I did have more fun with Blitz than this game but I cant comment on if its more "sim" since BB doesnt have a league to compare it to.

# 176 RaiderKtulu @ 06/12/10 07:17 AM
I'm probably going to get in trouble for this post, but what the heck..

All of the classic football games appeal to one very specific group - the Armchair Quarterback. If you're a football fan, you've experienced this scenario: you're watching your favorite team on TV, you see the TE break open... and then you scream obscenities at the screen or throw something at your cat because your team's QB forces a pass into double coverage on the other side of the field. Every other football game lets you relive that scenario as the fan - you see the open guy, you throw it to him. That's what a majority of people want. People don't want to play football as a player, they want to play as a fan or maybe as a coach. Even those who claim they want realism are generally talking about removing things like LBs sliding 5 yards to make a play or players clipping through each other. They want the type of player interaction that Backbreaker has, but they want it wrapped up in a glossy TV broadcasted box. Madden or 2k are for the armchair QB - what would happen if the players on the field could actually hear me yelling at them from my couch. That appeals to people...and it can be kinda fun - I actually liked Madden 10 for the most part. But that isn't what this game is about. Backbreaker is the annoyed QB saying something like "if you think it's so easy, you do it" and handing you a helmet. As it turns out, it isn't very easy and people don't like that.

Thus, many people are predisposed to not like Backbreaker purely because it doesn't provide the experience they want. So... they turn on Backbreaker.... they instantly don't like the camera or the concept of being on the field, so they don't really bother to try to learn the game. They hop in, they fail, they say screw it and move on - like this reviewer.

He doesn't review the game as a football game, he just whines about not being able to play. Does he mention the limited playbooks? No. Does he mention the lack of user catch/swat/interception buttons? No. The poor clock management AI? No. The physics and tackling? No. He doesn't even bother mentioning that the game has 2 distinctly different franchise modes. He just complains about turnovers and online cheese and then gives the game a lousy score because he doesn't care.

For a "sports gaming site" it's pathetic.

# 177 -pillBOXhat- @ 06/12/10 09:28 AM
I knew people who had high hopes for this game and even sold their Madden 2010 games earlier than they would just to get a good prize for it.

# 178 Pared @ 06/12/10 10:29 AM
Very well thought out post.

Guys, get back on track. QUICKLY. You're free to post your opinions but these rabid, nonsensical comments are not welcome at this sight.

# 179 lasthour @ 06/12/10 12:11 PM
The reviewer sounds like like he has not learned to play BB. From his comments, he sounds like he thought he should be able to pick up the game and play it like the other game. Mistake.

In a sense, this game is Rainbox Six: Vegas and the other game is Halo 3 in god view.
These are just really two very different games. Changing the view in BB would completely change the category/genre of the game. It would then just be Madden with great physics and less plays. Right now every position has it's advantages and disadvantages of play because of this viewpoint.

I wonder if any of the OS guys who have a grip on the the gameplay of BB can maybe upload a complete game on OS and YouTube so that maybe the others can see what they are doing wrong. Or maybe just a half game.

Also before someone chimes in with another it's an OPIONION theory, do you use that that to make yourself feel better about a BAD CHOICE? I'm just asking. I don't think I understand the point of those comments. Just sounds like you're saying opinions can't be wrong or something. Peace out.

# 180 kehlis @ 06/12/10 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknam6
Great post man, you nailed it.
LOL, most previously banned users change more in their new username then just a number at the end.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.