Home
OS Scores Explained WWE '12 Overview (Xbox 360)
Pros
Feels more like a wrestling game than its predecessors; Greater degree of difficulty; Universe mode improved greatly.
Cons
Spotty AI at times; Some strange glitches; Online is a mess.
Bottom Line
A leap forward, but a few things are still holding WWE '12 back from the championship.
out of 10
WWE '12 REVIEW

WWE '12 Review (Xbox 360)

Anytime a game improves, it should be considered a success. That’s exactly how I feel about WWE 12.

Gameplay

A marked improvement over Smackdown vs. Raw 2011, This year’s game has a new control scheme that harkens back to the basics of the series. The initial grapple buttons are mapped to A and X respectively based on the system. From there you can use the right stick to chain grapple. This will set up different moves based on the position you are relative to your opponent. The animations of these moves are similar to previous years, but still look great. THQ did a good job making sure that every superstar has all the moves in their repertoire.

THQ also added a new limb targeting system. This helps especially with superstars who use submission as finishers. So if you are Alberto Del Rio, it is probably a good idea to target your opponents arm to set him up for the cross arm breaker submission. 

New this year is the comeback moment. If you are taking a beating in a match you just might get the chance to mount a comeback and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. A button prompt will appear over your head, and once pressed it will become a quick time event as your superstar progresses through his authentic comeback routine. It gives you the sense that you are never out of a match and they just look flat out awesome.

Another cool addition is Wake Up Taunts. When you use your finisher, instead of doing it immediately, either you or your opponent will go into a cut scene where they wait for you to “wake up” before they apply their finisher. 

But with the good, there is the bad.

AI issues hold the game back in some ways. Sometimes they disrupt the flow of the match. For example, the AI could have me on the ropes (no pun intended) and might stand there looking into the crowd for a moment. This might allow me to recover and go back on the offensive. There are times when The AI will apply their finisher yet they won't go for the pin. This could end the match, but instead you get a reprieve. I don’t want to win cheap. 

Some of the worst gaffes happen during multiple man matches. It seems your teammate(s) are lost. They jump up and down of the ring apron for no reason at times. If you have a match where more than two superstars are in the ring it gets crazy; mo one seems to know what to do at times. This has me playing more one-on-one matches -- it shouldn’t be like that.

I have also seen some strange glitches that also effect gameplay. Sometimes my opponent will lose his finisher as he tries to apply it, yet somehow wiffs. This isn’t a good wiff, this is a glitch wiff. I have only seen it a couple of times so it’s not some pressing matter that will infuriate gamers. 

Other glitches include some clipping and minor resolution issues. 

Overall, the gameplay as a whole has made strides this year. At the very least it shows the commitment THQ and Yuke’s have made to us as gamers. 

Presentational Realism

This is where THQ nailed it. I seriously feel like I’m watching WWE television. With the 25 new camera angles during gameplay I feel fully immersed. The superstars theme music now has a reverb effect which only adds to the authenticity. And the entrances come complete with authentic pyro. 

Also, the superstars (and diva’s) are represented well. The character models are pretty well done. 

There are a couple quips I have about how some things related to presentation work in Universe mode. You are supposed to be able to choose which superstars you want on which show. The only problem is, when you put someone on Superstars for example they tend to pop back up in the other shows. I haven’t been able to figure out how to fix this issue, but I am sure if there is a work around it will be found by my OS brethren. 

Simulation Realism

One thing I have to say is that in Universe mode the simulated matches come out, for the most part, realistically. You will rarely see a guy like John Cena losing to Heath Slater, if ever. In fact, you will rarely see that match even happen. The AI does a fine job setting up feuds. They tend to make sense. I have seen the Rock attack John Cena, Alberto Del Rio feud with CM Punk, and the Undertaker and Kane team up. The cut scenes add a lot to the spats between superstars. There are supposed to be over 100, but to be honest I have seen some repeated scenes. Overall though, the Simulation Realism is impressive.

THQ is having some serious sever issues which has prevented me from playing more than a couple matches online. When I did get to play it was smooth with only a very minimal amount of lag at times.

I also attemted to download some created wrestlers, but was shut out after only getting one. Every time there after the screen froze on me. 

I am sure THQ will get this issue straightened out. But it is troublesome due to the fact that other titles have experienced significant server issues at launch.

Final Thoughts

If you are a wrestling fan then you owe it to yourself to at least give WWE 12 a spin. If you are a hardcore wrestling fan like myself, the game is a must own. While the game isn’t perfect it’s the best we have seen this console generation. 

Learning curve: The new controls might take some time getting used to. Other than that everything is pretty straight forward.

Visuals: The graphics look great and the colors pop, It is the best looking wrestling game ever, by far.

Audio: While the sounds such as themes and effects are great, the announcing is once again ghastly. This is something THQ really needs to hash out for next year.

Roster: There is just a fantastic selection of superstars this year. Some are immediately playable, some unlockable, and some DLC. There are over 60 when it’s said and done.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

WWE '12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Fiddy @ 11/30/11 02:19 PM
just curious as why WWE 12 stuff is in the actual WWE forum? all video game talk goes to main wrestling forum, not this sub forum.

# 2 Skittles6547 @ 11/30/11 03:37 PM
Great Review Phil!

# 3 Tomba @ 11/30/11 03:38 PM
Game DESERVES a 9. presentation gameplay and graphics are the best i have EVER seen in a wrestling game. And the Dreated a whatever you want is simply amazing and will give TONS of longevity to this game.

# 4 Gramps91 @ 11/30/11 03:46 PM
Really looking forward to getting this game for Christmas. I just really hope they can get the online things settled by them cause I want to download some community creations. Looking real forward to it though. Looks like the best wrestling game since SVR 06.

# 5 Rawdeal28 @ 11/30/11 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Game DESERVES a 9. presentation gameplay and graphics are the best i have EVER seen in a wrestling game. And the Dreated a whatever you want is simply amazing and will give TONS of longevity to this game.
i agree. its like their afraid of giving any game a 9.

this game is totally awesome.

# 6 Jukeman @ 11/30/11 03:55 PM
I personally give the game a 7.

SvR '11 would be a 5 btw

# 7 DJ @ 11/30/11 05:19 PM
I'm still on the fence, mainly because of the A.I. issues that have been brought up. I've played wrestling games for over 20 years and the challenge from the CPU over the long haul just isn't there. I'd be OK with that if the CPU vs. CPU matches looked good, but from what I've read so far, they are a sore spot.

I do have a few games to trade in, so I could get it for well less than the $60 price tag, and who knows, perhaps I'll find the CPU to be harder than past years' games? Universe Mode does sound improved from last year, and I'm happy to hear that.

# 8 Jukeman @ 11/30/11 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm still on the fence, mainly because of the A.I. issues that have been brought up. I've played wrestling games for over 20 years and the challenge from the CPU over the long haul just isn't there. I'd be OK with that if the CPU vs. CPU matches looked good, but from what I've read so far, they are a sore spot.

I do have a few games to trade in, so I could get it for well less than the $60 price tag, and who knows, perhaps I'll find the CPU to be harder than past years' games? Universe Mode does sound improved from last year, and I'm happy to hear that.
From someone who have been frustrated with the AI in the last 6 WWE games.

WWE '12 is much better in that department and this is the best Nex-Gen wrestling game (which isnt saying much tbh)

AI vs AI matches are still bad but playing against the AI is enjoyable. Yes there are still some things in the gameplay department and AI that needs work but this game is better than SvR '11,'10 and '09 combined.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

# 9 DJ @ 11/30/11 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
From someone who have been frustrated with the AI in the last 6 WWE games.

WWE '12 is much better in that department and this is the best Nex-Gen wrestling game (which isnt saying much tbh)

AI vs AI matches are still bad but playing against the AI is enjoyable. Yes there are still some things in the gameplay department and AI that needs work but this game is better than SvR '11,'10 and '09 combined.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk
Juke,
I definitely respect your opinion when it comes to wrestling games (and wrestling in general), so thanks for the reply. If you have good things to say about the game, that is a good sign.

# 10 DJ @ 11/30/11 11:58 PM
Phil: good job on the review. Easy to follow and you touched on all the main areas of concern, which I appreciated.

# 11 Culture Rot @ 12/01/11 03:03 AM
Online isnt a mess. It's not available. Online play is why thousands of people bought this game.

# 12 truintellectplaya @ 12/01/11 01:56 PM
My brother likes it but he still thinks it is behind the Day of Reckoning titles we enjoyed on Gamecube. It is sad that this generation has really not grown much in most series except NBA 2K. He even thinks the graphics are no better than those of Day of Reckoning 2 for Gamecube. Sad, that we let series get away with weak updates for 5 years + now.

# 13 Gramps91 @ 12/01/11 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
My brother likes it but he still thinks it is behind the Day of Reckoning titles we enjoyed on Gamecube. It is sad that this generation has really not grown much in most series except NBA 2K. He even thinks the graphics are no better than those of Day of Reckoning 2 for Gamecube. Sad, that we let series get away with weak updates for 5 years + now.
The DOR series was AWESOME!!!!!!

# 14 MJHSpanda57 @ 12/03/11 12:00 AM
does anybody have an online access code they won't be using? I bought the game used and the previous owner had already used it : / thanks for any help

# 15 DBMcGee3 @ 12/03/11 05:52 PM
The online problems are completely unacceptable, but I really am digging this game overall. The CPU is still pretty easy/dumb, but it's still fun and I'm sure the online play will be really fun if they ever fix it.

Maybe this is a petty gripe, but I hate how you can't keep your same entrance when you win a belt of any variety with a created wrestler. All you pyro, lighting, custom entrance routine, etc is basically all null and void when you're a champ. Am I missing something or is this just really, really bad?

# 16 sportskid84 @ 12/05/11 09:26 AM
Its great game,I just wish they could had create a belt and fixed the CC server issue. I tried to put belt on wrestlers that are not active in my universe but the belt still show up for some reason.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.