Home
OS Scores Explained MLB 12 The Show Overview (PS3)
Pros
Outstanding Physics upgrades; New input mechanics; TruBroadcast camera work
Cons
Modes are nearly unchanged; Commentary is too often too familiar; Online is not good at this point
Bottom Line
This is the best MLB: The Show yet. If you like Baseball, or if you own a PS3...go get this game.
out of 10
MLB 12 The Show REVIEW

MLB 12 The Show Review (PS3)

The best sports games, at least on the simulation side of things, are those that best reproduce the sport they represent. We can hopefully project that one day a perfect sports game will be produced; one that completely mirrors its real-life counterpart in every way.

Here’s the problem: because the game it so closely imitates doesn’t change from year to year, this perfect reproduction -- the same down to the smallest detail -- doesn’t change either. And because we expect big innovations in our virtual sports, but not the real ones, it’s called “stale,” “repetitive,” and “boring” by both users and critics.

To be clear, MLB 12: The Show is not that perfect game, and has a long way to go until it is. However, I believe MLB 12: The Show to be the closest and truest representation of a sport on consoles today. You, like me, may find parts to be lacking, and I think that “stale” does accurately describe certain aspects of the game. But taken for what it is -- another step in the quest for the “perfect game” -- MLB 12: The Show is one of the best.

Gameplay

The biggest and best improvement in MLB 12: The Show is the reworked physics engine. Now reproducing accurate spin and deceleration, this feature alone makes The Show worth checking out.

I outlined some of the best places to see the physics in action during my initial impressions, and you really must see it to fully appreciate how this improvement changes the game. You’ll see a larger variety of hits, more realistic bounces and deflections, and various plays unfold in unexpected but believable ways. The physics makes defensive positioning and ratings more crucial and make you think twice about taking extra bases.

I may be overstating it a bit, but I think this under-the-hood change is one of the best ever advancements in virtual baseball.

Of lesser impact are the two new control methods, both of which I’ve been using relatively exclusively.

First is Pulse Pitching, which isn’t that innovative if you’ve ever played a baseball game on iOS. Once you select a location, a contracting circle indicates the pitch zone; properly timing a button press will keep that zone small and your delivery accurate.

I like this system for a couple of reasons. First, it’s easy to see when and how badly you’ve missed your location. It’s also a little harder to paint the black, resulting in an increase in walks. I also like that the speed with which the circle moves is affected by a number of factors, including pitcher fatigue and confidence.

I imagine that this mode might get a little easier as I get better at timing, so it’s nice to know that the other control options are still in place. There also is no way, that I can see, of controlling velocity while using Pulse Pitching.

The other new input mechanic is Zone Analog Batting, a tweak to the analog controls introduce last year. It essentially mixes zone interface and analog controls, making you “aim” while you are swinging.

It works well enough, as I can immediately tell if I jammed myself or simply missed a pitch, but it is a bit more difficult. Right now, I tend to be late on everything, even though the default pitch speed seems to have been reduced a bit. I’m not sure if it’s the batting interface, hitting camera, or pitch speed, but I am finding that I can read pitches a bit better this year, increasing my walk rate.

Other gameplay improvements include collision awareness, new animations, and more bullpen options. These, like the other improvements, are subtle but effective. The animations, in particular, work exceedingly well with the new physics.

Presentational Realism

If you only play exhibition games, this game is going to sound very familiar. It seems that all of the commentary changes are found in Franchise mode. I will still argue, though, that despite its year-to-year repetitiveness, the commentary still ranks among the best in sports game (trailing the MLB and NBA 2K series).

However, many sound effects have been enhanced, especially the sound of the ball off of the bat. You can clearly tell how well the ball was hit just based on sound.

Regardless of what mode you spend time in, the game will look a lot different, thanks to the TruBroadcast Presentations. Essentially, the game reproduces the camera cuts you’d find during a television broadcast, from dugout shots to pitcher/batter reactions. Oddly, I’m seeing fewer replays this year, which is a little disappointing. Otherwise, the visual elements look great, including (presumabely) improved faces and redesigned on-screen graphics.

Simulational Realism

Without messing with sliders, I think The Show plays a fine game out of the box. I would say that the games tend to lean toward the defensive side; I’ve seen lots of games end with low scores and sub-10 hits for each team. Again, I’m struggling a bit pulling the ball, which no doubt decreases my power hitting. But I’ve seen the computer jump on bad pitches and take walks if my pitcher is struggling.

I would also say that my pitchers seem to tire a bit too quickly. On the other hand, the CPU pitchers are pulled at opportune times, though I've see the managers go to their closers at weird spots.

Simming in Franchise generated more varied scores. And while my sample size is small, simming through a season produced no red-flags. Again, as more users experience the game, problems may pop up.

Speaking of which, there is a large bug/glitch thread in our forum. I’ll say that I experienced no huge problems during my time with the game. I saw the occasional statistical oddity: errors charged to players didn’t show up in the box score or an incorrect line score reading by the commentary team. But in my time with the game, jumping between the three main modes and exhibitions, I didn’t see any larger issues. This isn’t to say that they don’t exist.

Modes

I broke these modes down in my previous article, but to sum up my feelings:

Diamond Dynasty is interesting, but not necessarily as innovative as its marketing would suggest. It is certainly fun, but limited by it’s reliance on budgeting decisions and bad online play.

Road to the Show hasn’t seen many true improvements, other than a change at the beginning of the player’s career. It’s a bit more streamlined, potentially allowing you to skip the slog through the AA league.

The improvements to Franchise are minute, but I’ll defend this mode as one of the deepest out there. Still, it’s going to seem awfully familiar to anyone who spent a lot of time here in the past. Trading with the CPU is refined, but you may still see some wonky CPU/CPU transactions.

Additionally, there are some nice broadcast and UI upgrades; the stat screens and main menu have seen some nice revisions. It's great seeing in-game stats from other games, or the fact that your batter is leading the league in stolen bases.

Online/Move

As I mentioned earlier, my online experiences haven’t been good. I’ve seen a number of disconnects, quits and laggy games thus far. I’m not sure if they can be remedied, but it’s enough to steer me away from online play at this point.

If you are primarily an online user, browse the forums for a wider view of how this game plays against others. This has traditionally been a weakness of The Show; I was (and still am) hoping the focus on Diamond Dynasty might lead to improvements.

As for Move compatibility, it’s neat, but really just a novelty. I can’t see myself or other serious enthusiasts spending a great deal of time playing this way. It’s worth showing off at a party, but certainly won’t replace your controller.

Final Thoughts

It seems to me, that because The Show already represented baseball so well, its upgrades may go unnoticed by the casual baseball fan. But dig deeper and you’ll find the physics, broadcast and control enhancements really take this game to a new level.

While I’d love more innovations to its main modes, I’m not sure that console baseball has been better than this. From first pitch to last out, this game is as close as it gets.

Learning Curve: With so many options and difficulty adjustments, new players should have no trouble jumping in. Tutorial movies help a bit.

Control Scheme: Horray for The Show: when they add a new control scheme, they don’t take all of the old ones out. The new ones are my preference for now, but I like that I can switch at anytime. Move is an interesting novelty.

Visuals: The new broadcast elements really show off some good-looking faces and environments. I wish there were more replays.

Audio: I think it’s time for some adjustments to the broadcast team, but what’s here is good. Probably the aspect most longtime fans will have issues with, but you’ll occasionally be wowed by some timely and surprising commentary.

Lasting appeal: I’m having a blast playing one-off games, but look forward to investing more time in Franchise and Road to the Show. Diamond Dynasty is good too, but mostly if you are playing the CPU. Great gameplay and three deep modes mean that you'll have plenty to due until next March.

Score: 9 (All-Time Classic)

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Armor and Sword @ 03/16/12 01:37 PM
A fair and balanced review.

For Baseball junkies MLB 12 is the best console baseball game ever made. The ball physics are groundbreaking. The sound effects off the bat and into the glove are just amazing. This year hitting feels so much more "real" than ever before. Also the new collsion detection was a huge addition. It is something that has been asked for for years. And it makes a huge difference especially on your 6-4-3 and 5-4-3 DP's. I am now able to break them up sometimes and it looks.....AWESOME.

Out of the box the game plays great. But veterans of the series have a way they want games to unfold over 162 games. The slider adjustments are slight....but if a player takes some time they can get this game to play pretty much a perfect game of baseball IMO. Every year we get the obligitory "I can't hit" thread. And every year it is the same solution. Be honest with yourself and hit at your skill level and use the interface that suits you the best. The Show gives all the options needed to have a great playing experience. So what if you hit on rookie or veteran. Adjust the sliders to compensate for the cpu pitcher throwing too many strikes to get your walks up and dial down your human sliders to get a more realisitc hit/power number total.

The beauty of the show is a casual player can enjoy this game and hardcore stat junkie can too.

MLB The 2012 is the best sports game I have ever played. And I said the same thing about 2011.

9.5/10

I don't play online hence the .50 point higher review.

Perfect. No. No game will ever be perfect. Humans make the games. We are not perfect.

# 22 Knight165 @ 03/16/12 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I fair and balanced review.

For Baseball junkies MLB 12 is the best console baseball game ever made. The ball physics are groundbreaking. The sound effects off the bat and into the glove are just amazing. This year hitting feels so much more "real" than ever before. Also the new collsion detection was a huge addition. It is something that has been asked for for years. And it makes a huge difference especially on your 6-4-3 and 5-4-3 DP's. I am now able to break them up sometimes and it looks.....AWESOME.

Out of the box the game plays great. But veterans of the series have a way they want games to unfold over 162 games. The slider adjustments are slight....but if a player take some time they can get this game to play pretty much a perfect game of baseball IMO. Every year we get the obligitory "I can't hit" thread. And every year it is the same solution. Be honest with yourself and hit at your skill level and use the interface that suits you the best. The Show gives all the options needed to have a great playing experience. So what if you hit on rookie or veteran. Adjust the sliders to compensate for the cpu pitcher throwing too many strikes to get your walks up and dial down your human sliders to get a more realisitc hit/power number total.

The beauty of the show is a casual player can enjoy this game and harcore stat junkie can too.

MLB The 2012 is the best sports game I have ever played. And I said the same thing about 2011.

9.5/10

I don't play online hence the .50 point higher review.

Perfect. No. No game will ever be perfect. Humans make the games. We are not perfect.
Yep.
To make the perfect game...
You need the perfect human.
Not happening.
This game is light years ahead of any other baseball game though...IMO.

M.K.
Knight165

# 23 CPRoark @ 03/16/12 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedawgtribe
I wish I had to the option to have this game. It seems like this game just gets better every year by building on its foundation. Unlike Madden which seems to adopt the this is new but we are taking this away approach..I will probably switch over to the PS4 as long as it comes out around the same time as xbox's next system as long as the online will still continue to be free that is..
This is the one game, that for me, was a literal system seller. About 4 years ago, I found a great deal on a PS3 and bought it solely to play The Show and Blu Rays. If you can find a good price, and you are a baseball junkie, it's totally worth it.

Regarding the replays, I think most of you are rich that they are delayed. But there was the occasional play I expected a replay for, and it didn't happen, regardless of wait time. Really, though that is a small issue for me, though I thought it worth mentioning.

# 24 Pared @ 03/16/12 01:54 PM
This really is a great review Caley.

I feel like it is a review from a baseball fan and gamer, not someone who plays video games and was stuck with a new baseball game.

It makes all the difference.

# 25 CPRoark @ 03/16/12 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This really is a great review Caley.

I feel like it is a review from a baseball fan and gamer, not someone who plays video games and was stuck with a new baseball game.

It makes all the difference.
Thanks Pared.

I think the same sentiment can be applied to The Show; it's made by baseball fans who happen to be developers. There seems to be a genuine love for the sports; the opening video was great!

# 26 PAPERNUT @ 03/16/12 04:54 PM
Great review for a great game.

# 27 Bobhead @ 03/16/12 10:07 PM
Don't know if I agree with all the specifics (I've played NBA 2k12, it doesn't have commentary, it has "Random Story Time Featuring NBA Dudes"), but I agree with the main point of your review: The Show 12 is hands down the best baseball video game ever made.

# 28 mpt54 @ 03/17/12 02:54 PM
Awesome review

# 29 PlusTheHarm @ 03/17/12 06:11 PM
Seems like a fair review. Played a game at a buddies house (have yet to get the game, remains to be seen if I will, sadly) and once again it just feels like another solid Show offering. Nothing wrong with that, and still the best bet it seems.

# 30 JonahLomu @ 03/17/12 10:10 PM
this certainly seems like the perfect game to buy EVERY other year, mainly because it's that good and detaied that small tweaks don't make a difference to me, I cant play online much because a damaged left hand makes it too hard to field, let alone pitch, but I dont guess there is a no-field, CPU pitching online mode.

Also, it would be great to immediately download your boxscore to a blog or an OS dynasty thread.

# 31 CujoMatty @ 03/18/12 03:36 AM
It seems to me the solution to games feeling stale or boring doesn't actually lie in the gameplay side at all. Everything the show does, gameplay wise is really good. Reinventing the wheel, as people say isn't nescessary, because like the review says the game of baseball stays the same and the show represents the game of baseball really well. I think it's obvious at this point that what needs to change from year to year is presentation and commentary. Give us new commentary, better presentation elements and the game would feel fresh. Why did I stop playing last years the show? Not cause it wasn't awesome but because I saw the same thing for 200 games. And outta those 200 games I saw alot from the year before. That's the rub and I personally feel the show, nba2k, and the NHL series have all suffered because of it this year.

# 32 Mister Magnus @ 03/19/12 01:17 PM
Can anyone tell me if they made improvements to Rivalry mode since Show '10? My buddy and I had a great time setting up and playing multi-game Cubs/Sox series but it lacked a few things, such as a functioning calendar to gauge fatigue, roster moves, the ability to choose ballparks other than the two home stadiums, etc.

Is Rivalry mode still in the game?

# 33 Pared @ 03/19/12 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
That's the rub and I personally feel the show, nba2k, and the NHL series have all suffered because of it this year.
This is an interesting take. Some would say these games have the best presentation out there for any sports game.

I'm not sure they can do much else with the time they have. You can't revamp an entire presentation every single year - this is proven as much by the major networks not doing it themselves.

Why should we hold video game developers to such a high standard in this aspect if the national media do not follow the same path? Should a maker completely start from scratch each year only to hold the attention span of gamers for 3-5 months?

# 34 Knight165 @ 03/19/12 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This is an interesting take. Some would say these games have the best presentation out there for any sports game.

I'm not sure they can do much else with the time they have. You can't revamp an entire presentation every single year - this is proven as much by the major networks not doing it themselves.

Why should we hold video game developers to such a high standard in this aspect if the national media do not follow the same path? Should a maker completely start from scratch each year only to hold the attention span of gamers for 3-5 months?
DEFINITELY NOT.

M.K.
Knight165

# 35 DickDalewood @ 03/19/12 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
It seems to me the solution to games feeling stale or boring doesn't actually lie in the gameplay side at all. Everything the show does, gameplay wise is really good. Reinventing the wheel, as people say isn't nescessary, because like the review says the game of baseball stays the same and the show represents the game of baseball really well. I think it's obvious at this point that what needs to change from year to year is presentation and commentary. Give us new commentary, better presentation elements and the game would feel fresh. Why did I stop playing last years the show? Not cause it wasn't awesome but because I saw the same thing for 200 games. And outta those 200 games I saw alot from the year before. That's the rub and I personally feel the show, nba2k, and the NHL series have all suffered because of it this year.
It would in no way be realistic or feasible for companies to completely revamp presentation and commentary every single year.

# 36 PsychoBulk @ 03/22/12 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
While I do not agree that MLB 12: The Show is realistic at its core
I would think you are in a very tiny minority with that opinion.

Quote:
I should be able to pitch balls that are on the edges of the strikezone, and see a variable number of batters take or swing at the pitches, depending on their ratings.
I see that all the time, with lots of variance.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these "issues" people experience are caused by the way the user plays the game, not the game itself.

Quote:
(2) one pitch mode was implemented. I don't want to sit through 2 hours of gameplay. I have other things to do in my life. OOTP (Out Of The Park) for PC implements this perfectly. The reason you have so many fans in the stands in real life on their cell phones or talking about anyting other than the game is because it takes WAY TOO LONG to get through a game. MLB: The Show is no different, it's like watching paint dry. It would be less noticeable if there were more strategy involved, as in batters taking more pitches or pitchers's accuracy truly depending on their ratings.
Fast forward some innings if you want to speed it up.

The Show captures the lovely slow pace that baseball is meant to be played at, its why 99% of us love it.

If you want wham bam thankyou mam baseball then this isnt the game for you, maybe try The Bigs.

# 37 BobbyColtrane @ 04/01/12 10:29 AM
Very good game, but things i would like to see fixed are:

1. All the dropped 3rd strikes
2. The overabundant dives in the outfield
3. Hits up the middle bouncing off the pitcher

# 38 JasonZimmerman @ 04/22/12 01:32 AM
I love the game....If MLB 2K12 would let The Show use it's commentary, and if they would add the wishbone "C" or "Reds" behind homplate in Cincy...It would be the best sports game ever.

# 39 papasmurf @ 05/21/12 01:25 AM
i absolutely am addicted to this game. i got a ps 3 for christmas just to play the show. i finally picked it up a few days ago. started a franchise with the royals. before i got this mvp 2005 was my favorite game. i guess i dont notice it being stale because this is the first version i owned. overall i would give it 9.25/10

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.