Home
OS Scores Explained Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational Overview (PS Vita)
Pros
Countless items in the shop; Realism aspect; Number of gameplay options
Cons
The caddy’s voice; Online; Putting
Bottom Line
If you love golf, buy it. If you hate golf, avoid it.
out of 10
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational REVIEW

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational Review (PS Vita)

It’s been years since a new Hot Shots Golf has released in the states, but now that has changed.

With the launch of the Playstation Vita, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational has taken the new handheld by storm. By combining the cartoonish graphics with superb gameplay, Hot Shots Golf does not disappoint.

Gameplay

When paying Hot Shots, you’ll be quickly reminded how easy the game can be. When at the character selection screen, you’re able to choose a variety of options such as type of club and ball you want to use. Depending on what you select, different attributes will see an increase. You can also select the shot setting for your golfer. The settings are gauge, circle and arrow. Each one is simple, but it’s nice to see the game has given multiple options for the way we want to play.

When taking your shot, the meter, depending on which one you choose to use, will tell you if you’re late or early on contact. And of course, you can get that “Perfect Shot,” something that never fails to put a smile on your face.

Chip shots are surprisingly easy in the game, as I’ve always felt they’re one of the harder shots to execute on the course.

The one shot that has always been a pain in video games, the putt, is back in full force. The display for putting is the same as it has always been, with the arrows and grid showing the slope and wind. After countless hours of practice, it still seems ike getting putting down is a difficult task. It feels like too man variables change each time you’re on the green.

And when all else fails, your trusty caddy Marta will be there to annoy the heck out of you. Quite possibly one of the lowest points of the game.

Aside from hitting the ball, the courses look pretty dang good. They also do a fantastic job of giving you a temper tantrum when you hit that pesky bunker or lousy tree. It happens pretty often when you’re trying to rush through a match, which brings out a little bit of realism to the sport.

Game Modes

Championship, Stroke Play and Training are the only mode options given, but they all satisfy to a different appeal.

Championship is the main mode of play, as it takes you through a gauntlet-type ladder of challenges. Each level has course you must win on and ends with a character challenge. The character challenge, if won, unlocks a new character to use. When you win these challenges, you will earn coins. These coins will allow you to buy new clubs, balls, outfits and even characters for you to have at your disposal. It feels like there are countless things to unlock, so the reply value gets a nice, positive boost here.

Stroke Play is basically you out there on your own, doing your own thing. Nothing special, but it doesn’t suck, either. And then Training is what it sounds like.

Online in Hot Shots is pretty competitive, and fun for that matter. But one thing that kills this game’s online mode is the one thing that hurts a lot of games: nobody is ever there. Without others trying to play online, you’ll be sitting in the lobby for hours. However, when I do connect to a game I have a blast and it keeps me itching for more. It’s hard to knock this game down at all for its online capabilities.

Final Thoughts

The Vita has launched quite a few games already crossing all genres. But there are only a few games that someone should buy right away. Hot Shots is one of those games, if you enjoy the sport.

Unfortunately, if you hate golf this game isn’t for you. But even if you’re a casual fan, pick this game up. With the countless hours of replayability and the fun, exciting gameplay of Championship mode, Hot Shots should keep any gamer busy for some time.

Graphics: The Vita has already cemented itself as the best graphics on a handheld. This game continues those beliefs.

Sound: Music is nice and relaxing, but when the caddy speaks I’m ready to go to jail.

Controls: Easy street.

Learning Curve: After one or two rounds you should have no problem.

Entertainment Value: The game is fun with all the unlockables, but it could get slightly boring eventually.

Score: 7 (Good)

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational Videos
Member Comments
# 1 addybojangles @ 04/10/12 01:45 PM
Hmm. I think this is the best Hot Shots game we've ever seen.

1) You can change your caddy. You have to buy a course in the shop.

2) Your description of the online portion of the game makes no sense. First, as of right now (although it's being patched in), there is no head-to-head. Or games you can create among just a few friends. There are times when people play.

In addition, probably the best addition of any Hot Shots ever is the Daily Tournament online portion. Every day, there are two 9-hole courses and one 18-hole course that you compete with * everyone * on. It shows the average score, the percentage of how many people eagled, birdied, etc., and it ranks you by score. It's really awesome, and it's addictive to go in every day and see how your global rank has changed.

I would recommend this game for all sports fans just because of it's addictive nature, to be honest.

# 2 mountaindew77 @ 04/10/12 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
Hmm. I think this is the best Hot Shots game we've ever seen.

1) You can change your caddy. You have to buy a course in the shop.

2) Your description of the online portion of the game makes no sense. First, as of right now (although it's being patched in), there is no head-to-head. Or games you can create among just a few friends. There are times when people play.

In addition, probably the best addition of any Hot Shots ever is the Daily Tournament online portion. Every day, there are two 9-hole courses and one 18-hole course that you compete with * everyone * on. It shows the average score, the percentage of how many people eagled, birdied, etc., and it ranks you by score. It's really awesome, and it's addictive to go in every day and see how your global rank has changed.

I would recommend this game for all sports fans just because of it's addictive nature, to be honest.
THANK YOU. You can even turn the caddy off, which I did after the first round I played. And as you said, the online tournaments are easily the best part of the game

# 3 mrprice33 @ 04/10/12 03:29 PM
This seems like a very rushed and somewhat shoddy review of a fantastic game.

# 4 Smoke6 @ 04/10/12 04:42 PM
I agree with mrprice, the game is fabulous as for someone who is on the go or likes playing in bed or at the gym, this is the must have game for anyone getting a vita! I dont ever think there was an head 2 head mode in the hotshots golf games, but hey, if its patched in then thats great.

On another note, you can invite friends to closed games where its only who you invite as I see rooms like this all the time. So I dunno what the reviewer is getting at really!

# 5 mrprice33 @ 04/10/12 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
I like the gameplay of Hot Shots Golf (much better than TW) but I can't get over the over the top cartoony aspect of the game...it's really annoying. If they could strip that element out of the game they'd have a real winner on their hands.
You know that's been a staple of the series for about 10 years now, right?

# 6 mpt54 @ 04/10/12 09:52 PM
This might be my first Vita game

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.