Home
OS Scores Explained MLB 14 The Show Overview (PS3)
Pros
The inclusion of the new dynamic camera, quick count option, and (when it works) online franchise add to the experience.
Cons
Online play is still plagued with inconsistency, and the commentary feels like listening to your seventh-grade science teacher again.
Bottom Line
The Show has a great reputation for a reason, and that trend continues with this years title.
out of 10
MLB 14 The Show REVIEW

MLB 14 The Show Review (PS3)

As the immortal Babe Ruth once said “Baseball is the greatest game in the world, and it deserves the best you can give it.” Over the years, the development group at SCEA San Diego has found a way to do just that. The MLB The Show franchise from SCEA San Diego has widely been recognized as one of the best sports series going, and rightfully so. This year the development team finds themselves for the second time, in a transition period. The team was faced with the task of trying to keep the ball rolling on the PS3 and Vita, and start it on the PS4. The question now is, should you bother grabbing the PS3 version, if you have a PS4 system that is eagerly awaiting the date of May 6th?

Gameplay

For years the MLB series has been known for its immersive and authentic gameplay, and that hasn’t changed in 2014. While the core gameplay mechanics feel the same, the team has added some subtle, and some not so subtle changes to the overall experience. While some will feel that the changes are minor and have little effect on the game, to most they are welcome additions with a new-found freshness to the overall experience.

The biggest change you will notice is the newly added dynamic hitting and fielding camera; It's basically replicates an improved version of the Road to the Show (RttS) camera. It keeps the ball in the players view at almost all times, and really adds a very cool and new perspective for the user. This new camera view will take some getting used to for most, but as always, the game has plenty of options if you find yourself not enjoying the perspective.

Another huge change that is a much welcomed addition is the added ability to use quick counts. This option allows for the user to start an at-bat with a statistically random generated count, in lieu of the standard clean slate. This allows the user to employ different types of strategies, and severely cuts down on the average time it takes to play an average game. Of course if generated counts are not your thing, than the option to play a standard game is still there.

The core gameplay itself remains basically the same, but then again, when you have something as dialed in as the group over at SCEA SD does, making dramatic changes is not a necessity. The game still offers a wide variety of pitching and hitting mechanics for the user to choose from, and each one offers up a different type of challenge. There have also new animations to both hitting and fielding.

As far as difficulty goes, all the previous options are still there, but this year they added a new twist in The Show. Much like EA did with Madden a few years back, SCEA SD has added a difficulty level titled "Dynamic." Basically the game starts you out at Rookie-plus difficulty for both hitting and pitching, and updates and readjusts the difficulty every half inning, based on how you are playing. The goal is ultimately to adjust the CPU ability to where the user has a challenging, but fair experience, based on their abilities. In the time we spent trying it out, it seemed to work pretty well, and is a welcomed addition for the people that go slider crazy every year about this time.

Presentation

SCEA SD has always done a fantastic job of recreating an authentic Major League experience from the broadcast replication, to the core game itself. When you fire up MLB 14 The Show, you feel like part of an experience and not just playing a baseball game with the proper licenses. The Show 14 is drenched in detail,just as baseball is meant to be.

From beautiful stadiums, to player animations, players warming up pre-game, and high fives after a victory, the true essence and emotion is captured in this year’s game. Crowds react better in the right situation, the stadiums feel more alive, and the commentary has been improved a bit. If you can find a sports game that is better represented on and off the field, please let us know.

We also have to mention again what an amazing improvement that the dynamic hitting and fielding camera adds to the overall value of the game. The dynamic camera puts you right in the thick of the action, and allows the user to see the action unfold as if he was on the field.

The one area that could use a real over-haul is the commentary, as usual. It’s not that the three-man booth of Steve Lyons, Matt Vasgersian and Eric Karros do a bad job, because they don’t. In fact if MLB 14 The Show is the first title in the series that you have ever played, you will be amazed at how good it sounds. The problem is that veterans of the series have heard the lines so often, they simply have become white noise for most, and add little enhancement to game anymore.

Simulation Realism

From my somewhat limited experience with the title so far, simulation stats seemed to have improved this year. While most of the stats I witnessed from simming multiple game ahead, looked solid, I have one pretty big area of concern that still falls somewhat indirectly underneath the sim category. As much as I love the generated count option, I started noticing a trend of pitchers having way too high of a pitch count, and I have been getting messages as early as the 3rd and 4th inning, stating that the pitcher is getting tired? While this is something that I have seen in real life, it definitely does not happen as often as I am seeing in the game. This is not a game killer by any means, but it absolutely deserves the attention of the development group.

Offline Game Modes

In MLB 14 The Show, there are plenty of choices for the offline gamer. One can choose to run a full franchise of their team of choice, play as their created player in the ultra-popular Road to the Show, single season mode, post-season, practice, and home run derby. As you can see there are plenty of options for one to choose from, and each one offers a completely different experience. While most of the modes are pretty self explanatory, we want to focus in on a couple of them, and those would be Road to the Show and franchise.

RTTS

If you have played this mode in the past, than you most certainly are aware of how it works. You create a player of choice and start out on the minor leagues to embark on a journey of working your way to the big league ball club. While the premise of the mode has remained intact, the ancillary features are quite different. In years past you could enter the draft or pick your favorite team to start out. In MLB 14 The Show you start by participating in the Topps Amateur Series.

The Topps Amateur Series allows you to play three games with other prospects to give you the opportunity to showcase your talents and make a name for yourself. Once completed, you than have the option to do a live draft or just a pick a team. This year though, if you choose the live MLB draft, and find yourself not happy your current draft scenario, you can choose to go back to college and hone your skills.

Once you have been selected and have started playing with the club that selected you, you will notice some differences. Instead of having a set list of goals to achieve to make the organization happy, the game allows you to allocate your training points as you see fit. Gone are the days of your digital coach giving you praise or scolding you for not completing the set task list laid out in front of you. It is true that it is seemingly more difficult to improve your player with training points, but I like the changes a lot more. Seriously, how realistic was it for your coach to come down on you because you didn’t hit 10 home-runs over a five series set? Overall the mode plays about the same, but the subtle changes have made RttS even better, and less of a grind.

Offline Franchise

Offline franchise allows you take your favorite club and run them as if you were the owner, president, and coach wrapped up into one nice package. You can choose to maintain status quo, or shake things up with a blockbuster tradel. This year the game has a notification system that acts an assistant GM. It informs of you of important information such as minor league players doing really well, players needing to be assigned for training, players that have been placed on waivers. The option is done pretty well and not too intrusive on the overall experience itself. Franchise mode also allows you to fire managers mid-season, and offer new contracts or arbitration to arbitration eligible players in the off-season. This year the good folks at SCEA SD have also given the user the ability to search for specific players with specific attributes they desire, and you also have the ability to edit player potential, which is a much welcomed option.

This mode may not be for everyone, as you truly do run the front office as well as take care of business on the field, and it can be daunting to someone who just wants to hit field and play some ball. The good news is that almost every responsibility can be turned over to the computer, if one chooses to do so. Some of the other improvements for this mode in 2014 have been tweaks to free agent contracts to make them more realistic, and player progression and regression. I for one, love this mode and fully embrace the idea of helping shape your club currently and for the foreseeable future.

The robust online options that SCEA SD delivers every year just got even deeper with the inclusion of Online Franchise. A mode that fans have been asking for, and now they finally have it. This mode now sits amongst other options such as online exhibition (ranked or not ranked), Homerun Derby, Challenge of the Week, Diamond Dynasty, and the new Community Challenges. This is a mode that allows users to create a scenario and upload it online for others to try out. Let’s get back to Online Franchise because it is a pretty awesome mode, and is actually deeper than what offline users will get .

Basically online franchise allows a user to create a franchise online, and invite up to 29 other players. And enjoy all the perks and options of offline, plus more. The quick counts option that we spoke about is there, the ability to trade, retire, be voted into the hall of fame. The mode also gives the league GM the ability to drop or add new users at the click of the button, and advance the league when necessary. The GM can also choose to length of the season, playoffs, and World Series. SCEA SD also allowed the GM the option to just follow the actual 162 game regular season, or they can set up their own custom schedule.

So people who plan to spend their time online have a large set of options to choose from. You can dabble in the Diamond Dynasty if ultimate team is your thing, join or create an online franchise, or grab a friend or random player to just play an online exhibition. The one caveat to all of this is the ability to get online and stay connected with a good connection. At the time of this review I was able to get on and test online most of the online modes, but with dismal results. In the five online games I played, I was not able to finish a single one of them. Now the results will vary for each person, but this is something that this series has consistently struggled with. It’s pretty apparent that the inconsistent nature of this series’ online ability is not going to get any better – at least on the PS3 version. It’s a shame that with such a feature rich online set-up that SCEA SD could not create a consistent online environment to match that of the options they have available to partake in.

I would also be remiss If I didn’t mention the awesome vault feature. SCEA SD once again provides an online vault for users to upload and download created players, rosters, sliders and logos. This option is such a valuable asset, and it has become an incredible tool for The Show's community – including our very own here on Operation Sports. I am also happy to mention that this year’s title requires no inputting of any type of online code to have access to all these features.

Final Thoughts

It would have been easy for SCEA SD to relax their standards and focus, as they make the transition over to the infinitely more powerful PS4, but they didn’t, and that is no surprise. From streamlined menus, to a retooled RttS mode, inclusion of online franchise, and a more robust roster editor, there is simply just a lot to love this year in MLB 14 The Show.

Overall the game is a true representation of the sport, and I consider it a must buy, even for the fringe MLB fan. The biggest gripe again, is the online portion, and if it was secluded to just playing exhibitions, it might not be such a huge deal. The problem is that is also affects the highly promoted online franchise and Diamond Dynasty players. When you add a deep element such as online franchise, the infrastructure needs to be there to support it, and sadly in my experiences there are still too many issues with trying to play online.

Learning Curve – This year it is a bit steeper than most, assuming you try out the new options that SCEA SD has provided.

Control Scheme - As always, there a number of different user options provided, now you just need to find the one(s) that work for you.

Audio – The true sound of baseball is represented quite well, but if you’re a vet of the series the sounds from the booth are mostly repetitive and stale.

Visuals – Although this is last year in which the PS3 version is console of focus, the game still looks aesthetically beautiful, and even more so in motion.

Online – unfortunately as always, online for MLB the Show is truly hit or miss. At times it works wonderfully, other times it feels like you are connected through dial up.

Lasting appeal – The game is once again crammed with different user modes, and any user should find something that will hold their interest for months on end.

Score: 8.0 (Great)

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 dragan24 @ 04/04/14 05:09 PM
I really enjoy Sony's MLB series, but this year I decided to rent it, and while the game is very good, I've decided to stick with last year's iteration. It still plays a great game of baseball, but I did not like QC as much as I thought I would (too many 3-2 counts when batting), I did not care for the dynamic camera (where is the low camera angle--was it removed?), could not find the option for turning on the catch region indicator (when playing outfield). This is my favorite franchise and I was looking forward to buying it. Who knows...may be the PS4 version will change my mind. Play Ball!

# 22 bluengold34_OS @ 04/04/14 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ey215
I think it's a fair review, but I do think the hit on the commentary was a bit harsh. I actually think the commentary took a pretty big step forward this year. It is much more conversational in nature, flows much better, and is more relevant to what has happened on the field than it has been in the past. Specifically some of the new end of half inning transitions are particularly good.

People are basically saying that they're using the same lines, but missing that they are using them in a much better manner. Not to mention the new commentary that has been added.

I think we hold commentary to some mythical standard that hasn't really existed. If you play any game a lot you are going to hear repetition and in some games that have been heralded in the past you didn't even have to play a lot.

NBA 2K comes to mind. Is the commentary good? Yes, it is but by the second game of a franchise you've heard the same stories about your team that you did in the first game.

This is the danger or tying commentary to specific players. I would like The Show's commentary to be more responsive to what is happening in your franchise world.

I don't think any developer in any sport has really nailed this quite yet. I do like the steps forward that The Show made this year.
The commentary is good, I would even go so far to say it's great at times - but as with anything, its time has past(IMO) and it is time to get a new fresh team in there. A lot of it isn't whats being said, it's who is saying it. We are so used to hearing Matt as the lead announcer that no matter what he says - it all just comes out as Mattisms - Honestly Matt could describe a three-run blast to win the game, or a cat pissing on a bush and it would sound the same to me.

I like Matt in real life, and think he is a quality play by play guy, but just ready for a new voice.

# 23 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/04/14 06:35 PM
I would love it if they could have two commentating teams similar to NCAA Basketball 10.

# 24 bluengold34_OS @ 04/04/14 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
I would love it if they could have two commentating teams similar to NCAA Basketball 10.
Still one of the best ideas ever implemented into a game. I wish more developers would recognize this - I realize there is a cost factor, but still love the idea.

# 25 sroz39 @ 04/04/14 07:04 PM
Its funny, a friend of mine finally was able to get his hands on a PS3 and this year's Show...and he's stunned by how great the commentary is. So its a matter of perspective.

# 26 ty5oke @ 04/04/14 08:39 PM
Until the franchise becomes more dynamic, I don't think I'll ever enjoy the game as much as I should.

# 27 Armor and Sword @ 04/04/14 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Until the franchise becomes more dynamic, I don't think I'll ever enjoy the game as much as I should.
I would be very curious for you to expand on what you mean by "more dynamic" because this games franchise mode is so deep, immersive and can be extremely dynamic as baseball is a long season and lot's of story lines emerge over the course of one year let alone a multi year franchise.

I get such a vast variety of games…….it's incredible….where as a game like Madden has so much sameness week to week in it's core gameplay (I do love M25 though so props to EA for a solid effort on M25) compared to a game like The Show or NBA 2K for that matter.

Curious though on your feedback on that.

# 28 jeffy777 @ 04/04/14 10:04 PM
Not sure why they spend so much time adding more online features if the online gameplay itself is so poor. Seems like they should focus more on actually making it run smoother online. 2K was able to this, so surely these guys can too.

Thankfully the single player experience is practically perfect. Just wish the online was at least better than "dismal".

# 29 underdog13 @ 04/05/14 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I would be very curious for you to expand on what you mean by "more dynamic" because this games franchise mode is so deep, immersive and can be extremely dynamic as baseball is a long season and lot's of story lines emerge over the course of one year let alone a multi year franchise.

I get such a vast variety of games…….it's incredible….where as a game like Madden has so much sameness week to week in it's core gameplay (I do love M25 though so props to EA for a solid effort on M25) compared to a game like The Show or NBA 2K for that matter.

One thing that I think is lacking in the show franchise is a way to read about just general mlb news. Don't know if you have played ootp but they have a tons of news about injuries, accomplishments going around in the league. Or something like madden where they have a Twitter feed to bring the news.

# 30 Armor and Sword @ 04/05/14 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
One thing that I think is lacking in the show franchise is a way to read about just general mlb news. Don't know if you have played ootp but they have a tons of news about injuries, accomplishments going around in the league. Or something like madden where they have a Twitter feed to bring the news.
Oh yeah I have OOTTP for my I-Pad.

I have a feeling on the PS4 in a few years……we will be getting a tour de force of presentation…..dynamic presentation about our franchise. More room, more powerful processor etc.

I hear ya. And i don't disagree. It can definitely use some life in that way. A weekly wrap up show would be insane.

I remember the news papers and they had some attempt at a more living and breathing….but I think the games resources went far more to gameplay.

I think news and things of that nature are great. I am no game developer in the least bit….I know zero about that stuff….I just play them. But I have to imagine all of the resources went to core gameplay…..because my god…..the game plays like a freaking baseball lovers dream.

So I am sure more in depth dynamic features will be coming our way over the next few years. Because the gameplay is spot on for the most part.

# 31 Dazraz @ 04/05/14 03:46 AM
Considering how easy it could of been for Sony to go the 2K route & release a near identical version of the previous years version whilst focusing on Next Gen, I think it's great that the developers have invested so much in this years game.
I'm an Offline gamer so the Online issues are of no concern to me. It's a shame not more has been done in regards to the commentary. This has been a constant complaint with the game but one that doesn't seem to be getting adressed.
I would of given it a 9 myself.

# 32 tanchl @ 04/05/14 10:00 AM
A review should be taken for what it is. If you're buying a new car or wanting to eat at a new restaurant, for example, and you just don't have any personal baseline information, you seek out a review and go from there. Anybody that has ever played an inning of the Show shouldn't even have to look at a review; you should just know that regardless of the year, you're in for a quality experience. Yes, I read this review, but not for anything but something to read out of curiosity.

I pshaw any talk about stale commentary for it is rather easy to turn off the commentary in varying ways. I personally keep Matt and silence the other two. Sometimes I silence Matt and provide my own commentary.

Not too many products you can count on year after year anymore; The Show is one of them. It's a 10 every year for me.

# 33 Blzer @ 04/05/14 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanchl
I pshaw any talk about stale commentary for it is rather easy to turn off the commentary in varying ways. I personally keep Matt and silence the other two.
This is exactly part of the problem, though. Silencing the other two does not:

- Fill the voids of when those two are talking (instead it's just nothingness in the commentary in those sections).

- Remove any times that Matt is talking to/responding to Steve and Eric.

Now you might respond in saying that the first point still sounds fine with those gaps, and that the second point doesn't happen very often... and that is inherent to the entire issue here.

Let's say that we didn't like John Kruk and Steve Phillips when we're playing MLB 2K, and there was an option for us to lower their volume so we did. Now we're listening to Gary Thorne, and it would sound so weird for the same two reasons, only this time it would be solidified. That game's commentary track has them talking to each other all the time, and their flow together is pretty nonstop.

Now I don't think I should praise that game's commentary beyond what is good about it, because honestly they repeat lines all the time as well... but there is this certain flow in the lines and the way that it is stitched together that you simply could not "silence the others" and the commentary would still flow at an acceptable pace like you can in The Show. The fact that The Show allows commentators to be muted and we take accept that advantage means something still might have to be done about the commentary, whether it actually ever will or not.

Although, that is only a small point in the review, and this review extends beyond commentary talk. I just had to get my two cents in on that, because normally I'm rather hush-hush about the commentary in general. I personally don't mind it in that I listen to it all and never mute them, but the immersion factor there could certainly go up, if for no other reason than we've heard the same people for quite some time now. I'm glad that Campbell and Hudler are out of the booth, though.

# 34 Pdubya64 @ 04/05/14 10:29 AM
Yeah... commentary - the (video) age old dilemma.

I don't know that there is any definitive answer other than bringing in a new "crew" every so many years. I actually kind of miss Soup Campbell at times, though his last year was less than stellar- but the man knew Baseball.
It's pretty expensive to record the hours and hours of lines needed for the game times three guys. But, even if they could just add a new small set of situational responses in the instances where currently only one exists it would be a big improvement. Sure there is a limit to file size at some point though.
It doesn't ruin the game for me, but a change would be appreciated.

# 35 ty5oke @ 04/05/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword

Basically comparing to OOTP. Since playing that and FM over the past 4 years or so, sports console gaming just hasn't cut it much for me.

I need immersion, weekly shows, highlight cut-out to other games, running storylines, etc... I shouldn't have to go searching through multiple screens to make up my own storylines.

# 36 Knight165 @ 04/05/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Basically comparing to OOTP. Since playing that and FM over the past 4 years or so, sports console gaming just hasn't cut it much for me.

I need immersion, weekly shows, highlight cut-out to other games, running storylines, etc... I shouldn't have to go searching through multiple screens to make up my own storylines.
Have they added a weekly show or highlights from other games in OOTP for '15?

Heck...it doesn't even have a ticker of other league games running when you are playing...you have to click on another screen to get out of town. You have to pause it and go to the BNN Network screen.

I love OOTP as much as the next guy, but I don't see how other than the news items....it has that much more immersion than The Show for the way you are describing.

In other ways...it blows the Show away(full minor leagues....COMPLETE ability to edit anything in franchise.....expansion...etc)...so there is that.

M.K.
Knight165

# 37 Knight165 @ 04/05/14 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
They are very capable of adding in situational commentary to overall improve the GM experience. Other sports titles do this. I love The Show, it, and NHL for me are the two best sports games out there hands down. However, that doesn't mean they should get a pass by having the same exact commentary they've had for the past 3 or 4 years. No excuse for that. Presentation needs some love and attention at this point because as much as the game play is amazing, the presentation is flat out stale, much like NHL is in the same boat.
Have you played yet?
If you have...I think you'd hear there is much more situational commentary in franchise mode this year.

M.K.
Knight165

# 38 tril @ 04/05/14 03:09 PM
solid game play
-dated commentary
-not really a fan of the quick counts. I dont find it immersive enough.

# 39 ey215 @ 04/05/14 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
The commentary is good, I would even go so far to say it's great at times - but as with anything, its time has past(IMO) and it is time to get a new fresh team in there. A lot of it isn't whats being said, it's who is saying it. We are so used to hearing Matt as the lead announcer that no matter what he says - it all just comes out as Mattisms - Honestly Matt could describe a three-run blast to win the game, or a cat pissing on a bush and it would sound the same to me.

I like Matt in real life, and think he is a quality play by play guy, but just ready for a new voice.
I can unabashedly say that I hope they never get rid of Matty V. That's just because I truly enjoy his work.

With that being said, it's a fair point. Announcing teams are to some extent a matter of taste. However, I agree with what I seem to recall Russell saying in that changing the team, especially Matt, would set them way back just due to the sheer volume of audio they have of him over the years. I'm not sure bringing in someone new just for the sake of change would be a good idea.

At this point, I really don't think it's the announcing team that's holding the commentary from the next big step forward it's just the technical "how do you do it" part of really getting it to sound like an every day broadcast.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and while I can come up with a pretty grand vision of where I'd like sports game commentary to go I have no clue how you'd do it technically. It would be a monumental task.

# 40 jim48888888 @ 04/06/14 01:20 AM
this review could use an editor for misspellings and grammatical mistakes. im just sayin'... it takes away from the attempted professionalism of the piece.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.