Home
OS Scores Explained NBA Live 16 Overview
Pros
Simple fun, good online modes, crowds can be impressive at times.
Cons
No customization, average gameplay, poor commentary.
Bottom Line
Far from greatness, but now also far from being bad. An above average NBA experience, worthy of a discounted look eventually.
out of 10
NBA Live 16 REVIEW

NBA Live 16 Review

NBA Live 16 is the best game the series has seen in over half a decade. It is reliably fun, has a few decent game modes, including the surprisingly well-made Summer Circuit, and does not attempt to reinvent the wheel of basketball simulation.

Despite large strides, the game still has a tendency to look and feel like a chicken with its head cut off. There is hardly ever any consistency -- whether it be clunky commentary or odd decisions on the part of the CPU -- and it starts to take away from the fun if you're looking for a true simulation experience.

The series certainly is not where it needs to be this year, but NBA Live 16 is not a bad game to keep building on moving forward.

Gameplay

Perhaps the first thing to notice is how well Live is spaced. One-on-one matchups actually exist within the context of the court, which is nice because it's one of the few ways ratings really play a role in the experience. Plays work well enough -- something that has been a stable of good NBA Live games since the franchise began -- and it's easy to beat your opponent with good passing.

The simplicity of the controls is fantastic, for the most part. Being able to hold the left trigger for a simple pick and roll feels smooth and the same can be said for the hand-off controls. These aspects combined with the spacing provide a really unique experience in that matchups feel important. Keeping your "lockdown" defender on the other team's best shooter can be difficult if the hand-offs and play-calling are effectively utilized. That being said, driving players (whether they're good at driving in real life or not) are too dominant because the animations seem to favor the driver rather than the defender.

That being said, the problem still ultimately boils down to certain aspects not being handled effectively by the AI. The CPU tends to rely heavily upon charging into the center of the lane and beating you. The problem is, especially on higher difficulties, this tends to work. Defense can be incredibly frustrating because the game often takes player control out of your hands and buckles you into an animation that is going to cost you points. This would be fine if the animations were well developed and used properly, but they are not. Not only are there too few, but they also seem to come into play at the wrong time.

For instance, there will be moments where a player backs off as if he's been shoved when a player is going from left to right instead of toward the basket. You will also see plenty of the super-strength box outs where an offensive player will receive what feels like infinite space between the rebound and the basket.

The problem here is that, unlike a few other sports games, NBA Live 16 does not seem to experience an AI change when you turn the difficulty up or down. Instead, the CPU just gets less and less fair as you turn the challenge up. Shots that have no business going in are sunk on a regular basis while playing on Superstar difficulty.

Presentation

One of my favorite aspects of NBA Live 16 is its unique little halftime (and end of game) show. You get a rundown of some of the best plays in the game, highlights from both the best and the worst players in the game, and some general discussion as to what has happened so far. The commentary atop these shows are chunky and hard to listen to at times, but that does not keep the show from being something you'll regularly want to watch without skipping through it.

Speaking of commentary, Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy do their best to work with what is otherwise an awful script. It is not that the voice work is bad, it's that the commentary does not have much to say and seems afraid to get too involved. There is very little talk of anything not strictly related to what's going on in the game, and Van Gundy does not offer a ton of contextual insight, either. As a whole, it has the tendency to feel awfully dry, which is too bad because the game's peripheral sounds don't do much to help.

The crowd noise is a mixed bag of sounding just right and sounding like someone put it together with a few friends in their garage. When the crowds are going nuts and everything is clicking, it's truly impressive. That being said, you will also sometimes hear chants that sound like someone is yelling them right into your ear, which can be an immersion killer. In-game sounds can be just as bad. It sounds like someone is using a fly swatter against concrete every time someone gets even a finger on the ball for a block. There's also not a whole lot of noise coming from the players outside the occasional squeak of the shoes against the floors.

Outside of that, the presentation is not half bad. NBA Live 16 is not overly impressive in terms of graphics, but it gets the job done. The lighting is generally pretty good and animations look nice until they've been repeated a hundred times. There is one in particular -- a guard spinning the ball back into their hands after an inbound -- that is repeated so frequently that it's easy to wonder whether or not it's a glitch. Lastly, you have to cross your fingers and hope that you dig one of EA's built-in camera angles as they don't let you customize the look at all. For the most part, as long as you're okay with a typical broadcast view, you'll be okay.

Game Modes

First things first, there is little to no customization in the game. If you are someone who likes to throw together draft classes, edit rosters and make the world your own, NBA Live 16 is not for you. There are no excuses, here. Having more options is never a bad thing and EA completely fell flat in this department.

Though, one of the things NBA Live 16 has going for it is the simplicity of its game modes, particularly Dynasty mode. There are a lot of things to complain about if you regularly invest hundreds of hours into franchise modes like Dynasty mode, but this particular mode seems pretty clearly built for players who prefer something easier to understand and take on. And, to be clear, overall this game is much less daunting to take on than something like NBA 2K -- for better or worse.

For starters, Dynasty mode is not the living, breathing world that most franchise modes have come to offer. Commentary rarely reflects upon the season at hand, there's not much in the way of Dynasty news outside of a small news wire (which, to its credit, provides player quotes and a healthy amount of updates), and there's no weekly radio show or anything like that. NBA Live 16 works well with what it has, but you regularly feel alone on the journey to an NBA Championship.

The game seems to simulate statistics well enough that you should not feel scared if you want to take on more of a general manager position. There is not anything special to the management of your team except trying to keep your players satisfied, but even losing teams don't seem to struggle too much with that.

Unfortunately, the charm of simplicity does not carry over to the Rising Star mode, NBA Live's version of a typical My Player mode. It carries the same RPG elements over from other games, only there is not a true focus on your player. Much in the same way of older iterations of MLB: The Show, Rising Star stays true to a simple formula: play your games, improve your character and move on. There might be some fun to be had if you're interested in focusing on a single player against the CPU, but otherwise, Rising Star has very little to offer over other My Player modes.

This is where things get good. In a day where a working online experience is akin to seeing a unicorn, NBA Live '16 not only provides some consistency, but a lot of fun. There is definitely some lag here and there, but as long as both players are on a decent connection you should be more than fine.

Live Run makes its return in NBA Live '16, and while it's not an entirely unique concept, there is a lot of fun to be had if you can find a few friends to play along. The mode is essentially a street basketball game of 5 on 5 consisting entirely of players online. As expected, this usually results in quick scoring and very little defense -- especially once teams get inside the key. It can be frustrating, sure, but the better team usually wins, and if you get some decent teamwork going you aren't going to lose a ton of games.

Summer Circuit is the newest addition to the plethora of game modes, and also the most fun. Reminiscent of NBA Street games, Summer Circuit allows you and a few other players online to take on increasingly difficult CPU opponents. Moving on from tier to tier gives your created player some added gear that does not otherwise seem available. Though, because the AI never seems particularly fair, things can get frustrating in a hurry. Nevertheless, that does not stop Summer Circuit from providing one of the few unique experiences in NBA Live '16.

Conclusion

NBA Live '16 is an assortment of fun ideas adequately executed and mixed together with the unexciting status quo. The gameplay provides something a little different and is certainly a step forward, and given the disaster this series was a couple of years ago, EA deserves a lot of credit for righting the ship. In fact, in more ways than one, this year's iteration seems like a callback to the NBA Live of old. It does not quite get there, but it would be of no surprise if it does soon.

There is not anything here that would justify a full price tag, but if you're looking for something a little different, NBA Live '16 should meet your expectations.

Score: 6 (Above Average)

NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Calvenn @ 10/03/15 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benefactor
Decent review until this paragraph. Obviously you've put models, lighting and animations all under the one graphics tag but the lighting being 'generally pretty good' is a huge understatement.

It's realistic, varies with camera angles as it should and helps give most stadiums a unique look.

And in general the graphics 'gets the job done' is pretty insulting to the artists on the dev team to be frank. The player models (while some are generic) are in my opinion, the best in all of sports gaming. The lighting, skin tones, body types, convincing and realistic look of tattoos and sweat etc. It's taken the genre to a new level and is a hell of a lot more than just getting the job done.

And for a series that has publicly stated its long term plan, it's hard to give much respect to your review when you don't reference the changes, improvements and even omissions from 14 and 15.

Food for thought I guess.

It was fair for the most part but the above immediately stood out to me as well. Unequivocally, the graphics are an area of strength for Live16 and should be a high point. I do hope they will patch some glaring issues this year though I like what they have achieved thus far. Would be nice to know from someone, Mrprice33 or WTF (has been MIA lately has anyone heard from this guy?) about any upcoming patching plans and what may be addressed.

I also hope that funding has truly been secured and that investors have fully bought in to allow this game to see its pinnacle. At this rate, we should expect them to more fully flesh out the key parts of the game next year and even improve upon what they have now established with Pro Am.

All warts aside, I seriously can't say Ive been this engaged with a basketball game in a long time, especially after slider modifications which I will post shortly. Too bad we couldn't get any improvements to Dynasty. Loving the other game as well. Graphics look good once my TV was adjusted properly and I appreciate player size differences, but I digress.. Live16 just stands out graphically though.

In terms of graphics, here's a where it shines.

1. Lighting
2. Real skin textures
3. Majority of scanned faces
4. Authentic jersey material (looks like real cloth)
5. Stadiums
6. Courts
7. Player model( would be nice to have some less defined options)
8. Shoes

# 22 WTF @ 10/03/15 11:07 PM
I'm still here, reading when I have the chance. Life, work and family getting the best of me currently. Live 17 and beyond is a go. Live 16 will continue to improve, new patches, new scans, etc will be added as we go along.

# 23 sarlndr @ 10/04/15 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOHaize
I'll be buying this. Probably around the all star break when the price drops. I really wish they'd just make the pro am avaiable for download.
The price will drop before the All-Star break. Just like last year.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

# 24 SeaTownGamer @ 10/04/15 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iClutch
Live 2004-5 are the best ones IMO.

People slept on NBA Live 10, too.

Hated 2004 and 05. NBA Live 10 was pretty good. I liked Live 99 and how they had the TNT overlays. During the ps1 days that game was the one! Live 2000 with Duncan was also good. I think that's when they finally brought Jordan and had the one on one.

# 25 The 24th Letter @ 10/04/15 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Great review...nails most areas.

It is hard to fathom how, after three years, they still have so many bad animations in there...

Right, and you have to factor that in when talking about graphics....not just still screenshots- though I love the shots in the photo thread like every one else....that's not what your entire experience entails....

I always thought that Live had good looking graphics in general though...they'd do themselves a big favor by providing some better camera angles..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 26 PS4FR3Ak @ 10/04/15 11:04 AM
Fair review I'm loving the online play. 2k can't touch EA SPORTS servers. Nba live will be a top game in 2yrs

# 27 AdamJones113 @ 10/04/15 12:56 PM
Very good review.

# 28 Calvenn @ 10/04/15 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I'm still here, reading when I have the chance. Life, work and family getting the best of me currently. Live 17 and beyond is a go. Live 16 will continue to improve, new patches, new scans, etc will be added as we go along.
Family and work should always take precedence and should be atop the prioritization list. Everything else is secondary.

When feasible, continue to advocate for the community as always regarding these concerns. On the subject of concerns or questions, can we expect any dev or devs from EA to pay the board a visit this year? I know it was pretty rough around here last year but they've really done something remarkable with the game this year and should be proud. I'm sure the members share the same sentiments and will welcome any engagement or interaction from them while keeping the topics constructive.

# 29 FedExPope @ 10/04/15 07:31 PM
Yikes. Jeff Teague looks nothing like himself in NBA Live this year. This series has a long, long, long way to go to be considered a viable alternative to 2K.

# 30 Calvenn @ 10/04/15 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
Yikes. Jeff Teague looks nothing like himself in NBA Live this year. This series has a long, long, long way to go to be considered a viable alternative to 2K.
Overstatement of the year and I certainly hope you're not saying this strictly because of Jeff Teague. We all know that more work needs to be done, however, the game is a lot closer today with the competition more than at any other recent time unless you include Live10. It's a fallacy that's been perpetuated mainly by people with an agenda or bias. From a pure gameplay standpoint you've got to be blind not to realize the significant advances made this year that place this game on par with the competition, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I have not even mentioned what Pro Am brings to the table and how it can effectively stand on its own.

With what they've been able to accomplish I have more faith than ever before that they will address the glaring issues this and the following year. It is simply imperative and I am sure they are fully cognizant of this.

In regards to Jeff Teague, come on. A simple search in Google with the words "Jeff Teague 2015" will yield the results you're looking for. Now, compare that to the Live16 facescan then get back with me.

Now, if we're talking the lack of certain modes and the requisite depth associated with these modes in contrast with the competition, that's a given and is on the roadmap. We should expect big things next year in that regard as has been announced all over. Listen, I also play the other game and can recognize their wonderful advancements this year. However, due credit must be given when it's deserved and the Live16 team has certainly earned that! It's really troubling and a great disservice to this game, to see people adopt this lemming-like mentality and rate or review this game out of spite ( not necessarily referring to you) or using a flawed demo as the basis for their arguement.

# 31 ClevelandinDistress @ 10/04/15 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvenn
Overstatement of the year and I certainly hope you're not saying this strictly because of Jeff Teague. We all know that more work needs to be done, however, the game is a lot closer today with the competition more than at any other recent time unless you include Live10. It's a fallacy that's been perpetuated mainly by people with an agenda or bias. From a pure gameplay standpoint you've got to be blind not to realize the significant advances made this year that place this game on par with the competition. With what they've been able to accomplish I have more faith than ever before that they will address the glaring issues this and the following year. It is simply imperative and I am sure they are fully cognizant of this.

In regards to Jeff Teague, come on. A simple search in Google with the words "Jeff Teague 2015" will yield the results you're looking for. Now, compare that to the Live16 facescan then get back with me.

Now, if we're talking the lack of certain modes and the requisite depth associated with these modes in contrast with the competition, that's a given and is on the roadmap. We should expect big things next year in that regard as has been announced all over. Listen, I also play the other game and can recognize their wonderful advancements this year. However, due credit must be given when it's deserved and the Live16 team has certainly earned that! It's really troubling and a great disservice to this game, to see people adopt this lemming-like mentality and rate or review this game out of spite ( not necessarily referring to you) or using a flawed demo as the basis for their arguement.
Cute statement but it's easy to see how far ahead NBA 2K is from a gameplay standpoint. Factor In all the little details that makes the game so deep and in touch with basketball culture. It just has soul. If you want to further compare the 2 games, just look at what they offer in terms of modes and depth. I mean, it's not even close. Sure NBA live is getting better, but how could it not? It was literally the embarrassment of the video game industry for a few years. Its getting better, but to even compare and mention it in the same universe as NBA 2K is troubling and a disservice to that game.

# 32 The 24th Letter @ 10/04/15 08:48 PM
It doesn't matter man, this is about NBA Live....

# 33 noshun @ 10/04/15 09:16 PM
This side of the forum sure does know how to make excuses I'll tell ya. Decent review.

# 34 Calvenn @ 10/04/15 10:21 PM
Very "clique" bunch. Please stay on topic and keep the focus where it was intended.

# 35 Dr. Poe @ 10/05/15 12:03 AM
Pro am was pretty good. Espn overlays were nice. Live has a more arcade feel to it. It is like NBA street. It the type of game to play casually. 2k is more sim and just has the extra "it" feeling to it.

Live accomplishes the goal of "fun factor" in a cartoon way. It's cool, just different than 2k.

# 36 Dantecamp21 @ 10/05/15 12:18 AM
Couldn't disagree more with the Presentation topic. I won't even discuss Live 16 (and the overall score) against 2K16 since the later is already being discussed as a potential Game of the Year nominee, not just Best Sports Game of the Year. Obviously the game is on a class of its own.

Back to the disagreement: the new sideline camera has received so much praise on the web. I'd rather listen to what Mike and Jeff bring to the table (quality and technically wise) than hear the poorly recorded corny lines from Greg Anthony. The ESPN package can't be compared to the sometimes comically bad interventions (Halloween/Christmas overlays) that we get in 2K. Arena ambiance was universally praised in Live 15, and I don't think it got worse. Arena lightning is also masterfully done in Live 16, while we get the batcave treatment in 2K. Textures are another highlight in Live 16, sweat, jersey fabrics, player skins, scratched wooden floors on the courts, it's all really well done. Player likeness will be hit or miss in both products so that point is moot.

The topic should've focused on animations, which are coming along but still are the weak link of the product.

It's just disappointing to read a review where the strong point of the product gets neglected in such an unfair way. I thought I was reading IGN.

Disclaimer: the reviewer is entitled to his opinion, the one above is mine.

# 37 Playmakers @ 10/05/15 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Isn't worth $60 purchase. Good game of basketball but lacks too much.
You can get from toys r us for about $34 bucks with the purchase of a 2nd ea game like fifa 16 or nhl 16

Awesome deal and the game is definitely worth that price tag

# 38 Honome @ 10/05/15 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
If EA wants this franchise to succeed they need to snap out of their company model as seen in all of their sports games where gameplay is not the focal point but instead they choose gimmicks and the casual crowd who can just pick and play without any NBA or basketball knowledge instead of the sim heads. For once they need to snap out of that mindset and target true basketball fans who knows the sport.

I've been playing EA Sports basketball games since Bulls vs Blazers and I;m going to be honest when I say none of their games has ever been sim. Yes I admit NBA Live 95 and Live 99 were fun as hell but they weren't sim. NBA Showdown was one of my favorites in the 90s. So much memories with that game but it wasn't sim. Name ONE, I dare you guys to name just ONE EA Basketball Sports game that feels sim? Lakers vs Celtics? Nope. NBA Showdown? Try again NBA Live 95? Keep guessing. NBA Live 99? Notta. NBA Live 2005? No chance in hell. NBA Live 10 probably comes closest and that's not saying much.

Another gripe I have for all EA Sports games and it's not just for NBA Live but for ALL THEIR SPORTS GAMES is that EVERY CPU TEAMS PLAYS THE SAME. This has been plaguing their sports games for the longest.. C'mon now in real life the Golden State Warriors do not play like the Cleveland Cavs or Miami Heat. People have been complaining about specific team styles in Madden, Fifa, and NHL games for years and it still hasn't been addressed. I pray the developers put emphasis in it next year but I am not having high hopes. Matter of fact I am tired of saying next year because I been saying it for the past decade or even longer. It's an eyesore seeing the Seattle Sounders play the same style as the German National team in Fifa. This has to be addressed in all their sports games.

Bottom line: Developers, if u are reading this please try your best to make a Sim basketball game and I promise they will come. It's time to neglect the casual gamers and give the sim heads what they want. You've already experimented with trying to please the casual crowd the past 15 years and it's didn't work. You guys have deeper pockets than 2K so there shouldn't be any excuse to why it's not on the competition's level at this point.
Perfect post mate. You are absolutely right about EA games, it seems that all games even share the same core AI since we can see the same patterns of AI scripting on all of their games. They really focus much more on atmosphere, graphics and animations to create their "realistic" game than making a proper simulation gameplay and a proper AI.

# 39 NeptunePirate @ 10/05/15 10:02 AM
Great review. I'm having a good time with Live this year. I played a lot of 14 and 15, they have improved quite a bit so far. Next year I'm hoping they revamp Dynasty mode finally.

# 40 jaytyler25 @ 10/21/15 10:50 AM
To turley be honest for live 17 I think as far as game mode goes such as myplayer i believe it needs to be better not saying they need a story mode like 2k but it needs to be better it needs to have meaning for example every player goes through trails and tribulations in nba world so why not born that to life, have us hire mangers be able to fire them, have us be able to chose endorsements by earning them shoe deals things of that nature give us choices, have us have real contracts where we see our real earnings, have us be able to buy am apartment a gym to work out in now again we don't have to have a story mode to make this happen just give us choices not just level up get better beat teams and your done do it again more choices

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.