Home
OS Scores Explained WWE 2K16 Overview (PS4)
Pros
Showcase mode should be played by any wrestling fan, roster size, chain wrestling is still fun.
Cons
WWE Universe mode is anything but total control, unpolished, technical issues abound, presentation still very weak.
Bottom Line
A game that if you love wrestling you will find a reason to love it. Otherwise, game needs polish and better design decisions.
out of 10
WWE 2K16 REVIEW

WWE 2K16 Review (PS4)

Developers of wrestling games may have one of the hardest jobs around as they must try to emulate a scripted/staged event by introducing elements to make it feel like a real event.

In short, that type of juggling has rarely resulted in video games greatness.

The folks at 2K are back (in conjunction with Yukes) to give wrestling another go this year. Last year, I called the game above average -- with promising additions in terms of modes and gameplay features. Everything wasn’t quite working right, but there was hope for the future.

Strangely enough, this year I feel less hope and more disdain for the title. There has been work done, but I’m not sure any of it has made the game truly better -- just different.

In the Ring

WWE 2K16 is, in essence, a fighting game. You can call it anything else you want, but at its core the game is a fighting game, and those games are made or broken by their control scheme.

This year, 2K has separated the controls for strikes and grapples even further to ensure you have better control over what you want to do. This also includes new striking positions so you can have more moves and more control in the ring.

Perhaps the best way to describe the execution of this idea is as a mixed bag. The new striking positions are welcomed, but the timing and flow of many matches makes you feel as if you don’t have much control at times. Instead, at times it feels like the AI decides if you or your opponent gets to perform a move when you both initiate at the same time.

That also results in many funky looking moments as the game can look far from clean or polished in the ring. For example, there has been more than one occasion where my Superstar has tried to run against the ropes only to run into some sort of invisible force field that stops my momentum.

Reversals last year were out of hand, and thankfully 2K has brought us some help this year with a new system that limits the total amount of reversals you can do and also introduces major and minor reversals.

While I personally think it was lazy on some level to solve the issue of too many reversals by artificially limiting how many can actually happen, it does create a strategic element within the game. However, for newcomers who are not aware of the limit, they’re going to be super frustrated towards the end of a match when they’re no longer able to reverse moves like they were earlier.

(For the record, and while I have not studied it, I’m pretty sure AI opponents are not playing by the same rules when it comes to reversals -- at least it feels that way.)

Timing reversals requires quick reactions, which has not changed from last year. Major reversals are extremely difficult to pull off (at least for me) but when you do they’re big events in a match.

The AI itself was said to be improved, but I only saw some minor improvements in tag team matches where my teammates and opponents actually behaved as teams.

The chain wrestling and new working holds are still as fun as ever, and the ties where you can have a clean break or a cheap shot is well done. The natural progression of both of these systems allows you to really feel like at least parts of the match are what you see on TV.

I'm not a fan of the submission system because it just feels too artificial. Having a mini-game is fine, but having one with orbs to give you a bonus during the fight? It just seems like there was a layer introduced here that should have never been introduced.

The new pin system is also something I must give some kudos. The mini-game to kick out is panic-inducing if you miss it the first two times. On top of that, the new pin varieties and interactions are well done.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing with the gameplay is that it too often lacks the cerebral nature the developers were going for and devolves into a mishmash of fervent button presses and furious mini-games that oftentimes can be difficult to control. Everything just doesn’t seem to connect and mesh just yet, and it makes for a disjointed feeling inside of the ring at times.

Showcase

The Stone Cold Steve Austin showcase mode is well done, and I think we should have expected this to be the case. The presentation package and the matches chosen give you a glimpse of the reality of the '90s-era WWF/E -- and to me really makes me wish we could have that era back in some ways (and not back in others). The commentary during the matches is pretty well done, and you’ll journey through a classic era of the WWE.

Showcase mode, for all intents and purposes, is worth at least a rental of this game because of the ride it takes you on. The mode itself is easily the game’s strongest component, and I do highly recommend it.

MyCareer

MyCareer's premise is that you start out training at the lower levels of the WWE in the NXT program. From there, you work your way up through the ranks to try to become world champion.

New this year are interviews that let you show some personality. You can also choose to interfere with rivals, form tag teams and create alliances. In short, MyCareer really improves on last year's experience in most every way. While not as strong of a selling point as Showcase, MyCareer should keep you busy.

The problem I think I'm running into with MyCareer is that the mode has already begun to feel somewhat repetitive as you move deeper into it. There's a clear pattern you follow, and while you can make choices to change things up, you'll be back in a familiar pattern in no time. MyCareer is a mode that should appeal to wrestling fans, but casual folks may not be as apt to give the mode everything they have.

Creation Suite

The creation suite this year has much more in terms of options, including the ability to create a diva (otherwise known as a woman to humans), a championship, arena and show.

All of these options are excellent on the surface, and the team at 2K is on the right track. That being said, the delays in the menus when changing items and adjusting your superstar makes creating anything a complete and utterly miserable experience.

If you want to see how several different pairs of elbow pads look on a superstar, you will experience menu delays multiple seconds in length while switching back and forth between items, which obviously makes creating anything just an absolute chore.

The options are now there though and anything can be created, you just may need to possess the patience of Job to get the job done.

WWE Universe

Here’s the deal with WWE Universe: On one hand it offers you the ability to set rivalries, add shows, add title belts, superstars, move them between shows, and do all sorts of cool things to create your own literal WWE Universe. And with the game’s huge roster, you can have a lot of fun.

However, there’s the other side of the mode. That is the side where just when you think "hey I’ll book these two guys in a title match on Raw," only to find out that you actually can’t book title matches. Or the side where you want to create a feud between two guys to see who the number-one contender is (or next up as they say) only to find out you can only book three rivalries a show.

Then there’s the annoying menu pop-ups for all rivalry matches I still have not figured out how to get rid of yet.

It's as if the goal of Universe mode was to give you all sorts of things you think are cool, only to then hit you with a low blow at the next turn when you then try to do something that seems relatively basic yet is artificially limited.

It just feels like, no matter how you slice it, Universe Mode is a frustrating experience.

Presentation

The commentary this year is improved with the three-man booth of Michael Cole, JBL and Jerry Lawler. However, it’s still not what I’d call good. Considering last year’s atrocious effort was one of the worst I have seen from a sports game, improving upon that effort was not going to be a huge problem.

In terms of the graphics, the game is a mixture of good and bad. Some superstars look great, others look terrible. In addition, long hair still does not work or look right on the wrestlers. Walking animations for some superstars in their entrances can look horrible, but others are more spot on.

The crowd will do some basic chants, and sometimes will react to the action the ring -- but generally crowds feel dull and lifeless. Even the chants seem to be there just to be there and don't add a huge dimension to the games presentation. A big match just does not feel big no matter how hard you try to close your eyes and convince yourself otherwise.

Final Thoughts

Simply put, WWE 2K16 is a mixed bag. The gameplay, at times wants to be really good, but I am always brought back to reality by something that is equally bad. This weird dichotomy within the game has you screaming, “YES! YES! YES!” and then you realize Hulk Hogan is actually the third man and you are throwing trash into the ring in disgust.

The gameplay is rather average thanks to the issues I can find. The new additions are great, but the technical and balancing issues are going to wear on people over time (just like reversals last year). The modes are decent, but there is nothing in this game that will keep you playing for months unless you can overlook the obvious shortcomings in Universe or MyCareer.

I struggled with my final rating for WWE 2K16 because of this Jekyll and Hyde type of performance. I suppose those looking for the good and willing to ignore the bad will find plenty of positives, but those who care about a game that is functionally sound will find plenty to be disappointed in here as well.

WWE 2K16 feels unpolished and incomplete on one hand, but on the other hand it can be fun and even deep as well. At the end of the day, it’s above average, and I can only hope this is the last year the series moves sideways.

Score: 6.5 (Above Average)

Edit: The original incorrectly stated there were no crowd chants. This appears to have been a bug in my copy (I was originally missing commentary as well). After doing the same procedure a second time the crowd chants did appear -- so I updated the review text to reflect that.

WWE 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 AirJordanFan93 @ 10/30/15 05:16 PM
2K15 was awful I gave up on it after a week. This year I had no interest in the game based purely out of my dislike for 2K15 and the fact I stopped following WWE in general. Despite that I did keep an eye on the development for this game and it looked like they finally were headed in the right direction with these games. Yet it appears that is wrong. Amazing we still have all the same issues in these games we have had for close to 10 years now. I think at this point its going to take a really big miracle to get a very good WWE game out that isn't filled with bugs and issues. This sounds an awful lot like WWE'13 to me a game that had great potential yet was poor in its execution outside of the Attitude Era mode.

# 22 Greene_Flash03 @ 10/30/15 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl8934
Yes I have lost matches, but let's be real: if I'm in the red and get hit with a signature move, there's no reason in hell the red can't even count to one before I kick out, and it happens very often. Because of this every match has this "going on forever epic match" feel which isn't realistic. And no bugs? You definitely need to play more. Check out the 2k forums, there's a whole list of glitches/bugs, many of which I've encountered: no user created title matches in universe, the invisible celebration glitch if you edit an attire, create an arena crashes frequently when using imported logos, downloaded wrestlers will suddenly have random logos and such appear on them, show will say it's in Los Angeles and then m cole will say how great it is to be back in Texas... And that's just a short list. I do love the new submission system, truly difficult to get a hang of. I've only made one person tap out
I do agree with the bolded item above. At the very least, it should get to two count. Then again, when this happens to me, I always end up losing or the count gets to two-to-two in a half. That's just me though. Maybe my timing is still off. Also, I didn't say there's no bug in game, every game has bugs. I just haven't encountered any bugs that I consider "Game Breaker". Definitely looking forward to play more and hope and pray I don't encounter any game-breaking bug for my taste.

# 23 opd897 @ 10/30/15 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordanFan93
2K15 was awful I gave up on it after a week. This year I had no interest in the game based purely out of my dislike for 2K15 and the fact I stopped following WWE in general. Despite that I did keep an eye on the development for this game and it looked like they finally were headed in the right direction with these games. Yet it appears that is wrong. Amazing we still have all the same issues in these games we have had for close to 10 years now. I think at this point its going to take a really big miracle to get a very good WWE game out that isn't filled with bugs and issues. This sounds an awful lot like WWE'13 to me a game that had great potential yet was poor in its execution outside of the Attitude Era mode.
Have you played the game? I too gave up on '15 after a week but love this game. If you're going by this review only you might want to check Metacritic for some other opinions or better yet try the game via a Redbox.

# 24 woody2goody @ 10/30/15 06:14 PM
I've played it for about 3 hours and I think it's great.

Yes there is the odd match that is too one sided or finishes on a normal move, but I've just had back to back wars on my first Raw episode in Universe.

Seth and Roman went to hell and back, Roman kicking out of a Pedigree on his way to winning, and I just had a phenomenal main event between Cena and Sheamus, where Cena kicked out of two of my Brogue Kicks, and I got out of one AA.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

# 25 SmashMan @ 10/30/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
OS reviews are always top notch and arguable the most in-depth you will find on the internet. And this is no different.
I'd agree that generally OS has in-depth reviews, but I don't know that I'd classify this as one. It's a lot of surface-level impressions.

Not that there aren't valid points here, but look at the biggest gameplay change this year: reversals. The review mentions that there is a limit, but no mention that they regenerate over the course of a match. This is key to the addition of rest holds to slow things down and allow you that time to build up stamina and reversal stock. The speculation that the CPU doesn't adhere to the same limits is also odd because you can see their reversal stock on-screen all the time.

And a note to anyone regarding creation loading times between items as the review also mentions this: hit square (and I assume whatever is Xbox equivalent) on an item. It'll preview the item on a dummy CAW and you can then scroll through all the items instantly.

# 26 PVarck31 @ 10/30/15 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I'm always amazed at how personal people take reviews like this. It's as if just because a game is getting positive reviews, or the impressions thread on this site is full of compliments, somehow people demand all reviews fall in line.

OS reviews are always top notch and arguable the most in-depth you will find on the internet. And this is no different.

People worried about this review "misleading" people into not buying this game should find comfort in the fact that there are tons of superficial, 2 paragraph mainstream reviews telling consumers to buy it just because it's new and the graphics are totally awesome.
There is nothing wrong with questioning the review. Especially when the score doesn't fall in line with other reviews. I would say IGN's 8.8 score and OS's score is a drastic difference and may be confusing to people.

Obviously a review is just one persons opinion and we have to respect that. But when a game is receiving a bevy of positive reviews (currently an 85 on Metacritic) and then gets hit with a score almost 2-3 points lower, it can be confusing and definitely questionable.

# 27 Ihatesignins101 @ 10/30/15 08:14 PM
bro; I think that obviously the xbox one and ps4 versions will feel better
360 and ps3 owners will have limited things in this game I think

# 28 Ihatesignins101 @ 10/30/15 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatesignins101
bro; I think that obviously the xbox one and ps4 versions will feel better
360 and ps3 owners will have limited things in this game I think
especially if you don't have a harddrive..lol like myself

# 29 atl8934 @ 10/30/15 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene_Flash03
I do agree with the bolded item above. At the very least, it should get to two count. Then again, when this happens to me, I always end up losing or the count gets to two-to-two in a half. That's just me though. Maybe my timing is still off. Also, I didn't say there's no bug in game, every game has bugs. I just haven't encountered any bugs that I consider "Game Breaker". Definitely looking forward to play more and hope and pray I don't encounter any game-breaking bug for my taste.
For your sake I hope not either! My meat and bones for this game is the universe mode and there are just so many bugs that go with it that its really bummed me out :/ but again, a good patch within the next week or so and my opinion will definitely be better for the game.

# 30 CEOHaize @ 10/31/15 09:15 AM
Really surprised by this review. All of the other reviews I've read have said this game is great. I haven't played a wrestling game in almost 9 years so I'm sure I'm going to love it either way.

# 31 Seanzie @ 10/31/15 10:43 AM
Having read through this thread, I don't think anyone's feelings are hurt by the review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; I actually like differing opinions instead of the typical hivemind you see with reviews. Also doesn't mean that we can't disagree with the review in a civilized manner.

The game has it's problems: long loading screens to edit movesets/entrances, Universe mode has it's quirks, hard to have a squash match, submission mechanics are weird, graphics are good, not great... but it's still a very solid, authoritative wrestling game.

As far as pinfalls being too easy, that might just mean you're extremely good at the game. I win a majority of my matches, but I lose a fair share as well (by pinfall).

# 32 ChaseB @ 10/31/15 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
There is nothing wrong with questioning the review. Especially when the score doesn't fall in line with other reviews. I would say IGN's 8.8 score and OS's score is a drastic difference and may be confusing to people.

Obviously a review is just one persons opinion and we have to respect that. But when a game is receiving a bevy of positive reviews (currently an 85 on Metacritic) and then gets hit with a score almost 2-3 points lower, it can be confusing and definitely questionable.
We're buds so don't take this the wrong way, but just because something doesn't fall in line with the "norm" or fit snugly in with the echo chamber that happens very often with reviews, doesn't mean it automatically has to be "questioned" or whatever.

Maybe it's just a verbiage thing, but like, you can disagree with the review or say the points made don't equal the score given, but "questioning" it on the basis that it's different alone is shenanigans. If the text of the review didn't jive with the final score, that would be an issue.

To put it another way, just because it's lower rated when compared to other sites doesn't make it inherently questionable. As you said, it's one person's opinion versus another's so all that can be done is to read the thoughts of the review and at least make sure it's consistent with itself.

# 33 PVarck31 @ 10/31/15 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
We're buds so don't take this the wrong way, but just because something doesn't fall in line with the "norm" or fit snugly in with the echo chamber that happens very often with reviews, doesn't mean it automatically has to be "questioned" or whatever.

Maybe it's just a verbiage thing, but like, you can disagree with the review or say the points made don't equal the score given, but "questioning" it on the basis that it's different alone is shenanigans. If the text of the review didn't jive with the final score, that would be an issue.

To put it another way, just because it's lower rated when compared to other sites doesn't make it inherently questionable. As you said, it's one person's opinion versus another's so all that can be done is to read the thoughts of the review and at least make sure it's consistent with itself.
I'm not really saying we should question the review automatically because of the score. I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with doing so. It was a response to someone else's post who basically said we shouldn't question the review because its OS.

I don't think I got my point across correctly in my post because I understand what you mean.

# 34 ryan_dockery34 @ 10/31/15 03:57 PM
For me the weakest part of the game is the backstage interviews in My Career mode. For some reason Rene Young's audio usually misses the first word she says and there are odd pauses between questions. This has huge potential though. Love the concept and idea.

There are several player models that also are rather poorly done.

However, all that can be overlooked with the new additions to the gameplay. I still struggle with the new submission mechanics, but I love not have to smash buttons anymore. I prefer mini-game type interactions that take skill, not destroying several controllers a year playing WWE.

This game is a step in the right direction.

# 35 Simaofan-20 @ 10/31/15 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne82
The game is better than this review indicates. No crowd chants? I hear crowd chants during the vast majority of my matches. And also remember, those beloved N64 titles received only slightly above average reviews when the were first released. Now they're these awesome games by the same people that were giving them those reviews. Some have even gone back and retroactively changed the ratings in those games, hoping that people would forget. I remember being baffled that those games couldn't get above a 7. I also give the game an 8 out of 10.
Maybe you should do some reserach

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/9141...rcy/index.html
No Mercy holds an 85% on gamerankings

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/1993...000/index.html
Wrestlemania holds an 84% on gamerankings

http://www.gamerankings.com/n64/1992...nge/index.html
WCW/NWO Revenge holds an 82% on gamerankings

# 36 spinedge @ 10/31/15 11:23 PM
The Universe mode is broken. That is a big part of the game. The game until then deserves a INCOMPLETE rating.

What stinks is this game had the potential with just a few fixed to potentially be the most hyped/talked about wrestling game in ages. However, they somehow missed obvious bugs (like not being able to manually have title matches in Universe) and instead just have a lot of pissed off fans.

Amazing to me how a company that generates hundreds of millions of dollars misses something that is so simple. They need to start giving out more test releases to people a month or so in advance so this doesn't happen again. Blows my mind how many games come out with such bad/obvious issues that you have no idea how were missed...

# 37 Seanzie @ 11/01/15 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedge
The Universe mode is broken. That is a big part of the game. The game until then deserves a INCOMPLETE rating.

What stinks is this game had the potential with just a few fixed to potentially be the most hyped/talked about wrestling game in ages. However, they somehow missed obvious bugs (like not being able to manually have title matches in Universe) and instead just have a lot of pissed off fans.

Amazing to me how a company that generates hundreds of millions of dollars misses something that is so simple. They need to start giving out more test releases to people a month or so in advance so this doesn't happen again. Blows my mind how many games come out with such bad/obvious issues that you have no idea how were missed...
So, in your humble opinion, the mode is completely broken because you can't manually create title matches? Hyperbole at it's finest.

Sure, it's kind of annoying, but to say it's broken in a three paragraph monologue is so overblown it's crazy. I actually feel bad that developers have to hear stuff like this.

# 38 ty5oke @ 11/01/15 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie
So, in your humble opinion, the mode is completely broken because you can't manually create title matches? Hyperbole at it's finest.

Sure, it's kind of annoying, but to say it's broken in a three paragraph monologue is so overblown it's crazy. I actually feel bad that developers have to hear stuff like this.
I find your response to be hyperbole at it's finest. There is a lot of people who won't play Universe mode with this issue therefore for some it should be considered broken. If issue is fixed, they will play the mode. Just because the issue doesn't block you from playing the mode doesn't mean that it is the same for everyone else.

Developers know more than anyone that they missed the boat on this and the feedback from users is the only way for them to realize how much it impacts some of us.

# 39 marcuscouch10 @ 11/01/15 01:20 PM
Are you Joking a 6.5? How could you give this game a 6.5 when IGN gave it an 8.8 and said it was one of the best wrestling games ever! I seriously don't see how you gave it such a negative rating when the only thing bad about the game is bugs that could be patched easily!

# 40 spinedge @ 11/01/15 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie

Yes, the game is incomplete. You must not have the game or you ave not played the mode at all yet.

It's not just titles.

Rivalries is screwed up.

No cut scenes in Universe at all unless it's a rivalry.

No manual number 1 contender match.

No manual MITB customization. Same with Royal Rumble. If you customize participants it doesn't register. They just make it a regular match.

The mode is broken. The point of Universe is to book matches how you want/when you want/with who you want. Some of the biggest matches (title matches, the Royal Rumble, MITB, and Rivalries) are all screwed up and 2k has only responded to the title match part so far... that's it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.