Home
OS Scores Explained Steep Overview
Pros
Huge, open world. Variety of events. Wingsuit flying is unique and fun. Controls easy to pick up, take time to master.
Cons
Physics result in you getting stuck at times. Game may be too big for some. Paragliding isn't that great. Clipping happens.
Bottom Line
Overall, a must buy for extreme sports fans and winter sports enthusiasts. Steep isn't without problems, but the good outweighs the bad.
out of 10
Steep REVIEW

Steep Review

It is strange that after such a long drought we get two similar-in-concept snowboarding/winter sports games at almost the same time.

Steep, however, is a unique game and concept all its own after you play it awhile. Steep is a game consisting of four extreme sports: skiing, snowboarding, wingsuit flying and paragliding.

Not only are there four sports, there are a variety of event types from racing to extreme runs, with an interesting scoring system to boot. And to top all of that off, Steep has a huge open world to explore with literally hundreds of events to partake in.

There's a lot to love about Steep, with a few drawbacks along the way as well.

Gameplay

The first thing you'll notice about Steep is that the control scheme is decidedly simple and easy to pick up. What you'll find out after playing the game awhile is that there's a lot of depth to the controls as well.

You are able to pick up the game and play at a reasonable level of skill, but to truly master all that Steep has to offer means you'll put in some time on the mountains or in the air perfecting runs.

The controls make a lot of sense in loading jumps and then having to switch to controlling rotations and grabs with both analog sticks. There's a real skill in timing your tricks, which you'll be able to pick up on pretty quickly. However, mastering timing and getting the best possible trick scores will take some work, and the same goes for putting together a strategy for figuring out the best lines for a run. In short, you've got the recipe for a perfectionist's nightmare.

Both skiing and snowboarding are pretty similar in execution -- and having both in the game seems more a novelty than an actual functional difference at times. The execution of skiing vs. snowboarding really rests on speed and agility. Skis are obviously faster and better for timed events whereas a board will serve you better in getting higher trick scores.

For most events, you can pick your method of madness to head down the slopes, which adds some strategy at the front of a run.

On the other hand, both paragliding and wingsuit flying are complete opposites. Paragliding is a way to really enjoy the beauty of Steep and is a much more deliberate (dare I say slow) way of getting around the game. There's strategy to the runs you'll use for paragliding, and the tricks you can pull off take some mastering, but paragliding is definitely the weak point of the four sports represented -- even though I think there's a chance I may end up appreciating it more down the line.

Wingsuit flying is an almost completely unique experience Steep offers. No other game I have played has quite nailed this like Steep, and there's a lot of strategy and quick stick reaction skills necessary to get the absolute best runs.

When using a wingsuit, your goal is to either complete runs with speed or have the most extreme runs, passing close to terrain objects for an extreme run. It could be due to the sheer novelty of the wingsuit experience, but I am finding it to be my favorite part of the game.

Jumping off of tall objects and flying near and through mountains and forests is just an amazingly cool experience no other game quite offers. Add to that the GoPro-powered first-person view that you can watch replays of or control your player with, and you get a real sense of speed and danger few other games have ever offered.

In fact, the skiing and snowboarding portions of the game really capture the beauty and speed of the terrain has to offer via the GoPro cameras in the game.

The gameplay itself does have some flaws I have to discuss. First, the physics are generally good but you will find yourself getting stuck from time to time. This will effectively end runs and is frustrating when it happens.

Another thing that is frustrating is sometimes the controls don't do what you expect them to. I'm getting older for sure, but I have sometimes done things correctly only to have a trick not play out as it should. I suspect there's a small bump in the physics somewhere that makes the game think my rider has hit something (and he may have) that prevents the trick from playing out. Regardless, this crops up once in a blue moon and makes you wonder what the game is doing.

The other thing I think will frustrate players is the overwhelming nature of the game. It's huge. There are literally dozens to hundreds of events per mountain, and there are seven total mountains. The open nature of Steep means you are never truly "finished" and there's oftentimes no real end goals except to complete runs and rack up points.

Some of the runs can be repetitive or completely forgettable as well, which I think means the game could be "too" big. But at the same time, you cannot beat the sheer variety Steep offers when it comes to winter sports gameplay.

And the exploration is something some people are just not going to care for. Having to identify and then get over to other peaks requires some ingenuity or helicopter tickets that, after your first 10, are going to cost you real money. This aspect of the game is particularly tedious, but something that also adds to the overall novelty of the experience.

The Other Stuff

Steep is a beautiful game and it's presented with a cinematic flair that other extreme sports games haven't quite figured out. The addition of the GoPro visuals just makes for an incredibly interesting visual experience with the game. The fact the folks at Ubisoft were able to nail the GoPro audio to an accurate level really drives in the immersion.

The soundtrack is standard and not the best you'll ever hear, but it fits what you are doing on screen.

The online/community aspect of Steep, where you compete with other players and group up on the mountain to do runs, is where a lot of fun will ultimately lie for players of the game. Personally, I think Ubisoft is making a mistake not making the scores to beat a more visual part of the experience.

It feels like the game wants you to be super connected at times, but at others it hides what are probably its best aspects in the period before you even drop into a run. If I could fix one thing about Steep, this would be it. Having other riders' scores play a prominent role in the experience would add to the competition aspect of the game.

There is a story of sorts in the game, which involves some mysticism and the mountains talking to you. This whole bit seems out of place, especially when you end up having to destroy evil snowmen who are apparently taunting a rider on the slopes. To me, the story would've been far better grounded in reality -- since the game itself tends to stay grounded in reality most of the time.

The other big complaint about the game is that it is online only. There is no way to play the game apart from being connected to the Steep servers. This hurts the long-term value of the game but also can mean you want to play the game but the servers are down and thus cannot. Companies really need to rethink the online only model.

Final Thoughts

Steep is ultimately a unique experience that offers something extreme sports fans will enjoy. The variety of things to do in the game will keep you going quite awhile if you find the action enjoyable.

The gameplay itself hits a comfortable middle ground between punishingly realistic and way over the top like an SSX. The things you can do are not quite on the level of a game like SSX, but I've done a few things I don't think humans are actually capable of as well. In that sense, the game strikes a good balance between being realistic but fun, appealing to casual gamers as well as more grounded sim-minded folks.

Between the visuals, the hugeness of the game, the variety of events, and the solid foundation the game is built on means I'm finding it hard to not recommend this title. It's a unique experience in the sports game genre, and despite some of the design flaws, the action on the slopes is ultimately one of my favorite experiences in sports games this year.

Score: 7.5 (Good)

Member Comments
# 1 DBMcGee3 @ 12/07/16 08:44 AM
I can appreciate the beauty of the landscape, and I agree the variety in gameplay is commendable. That said, if snowboarding is your main interest, this is the wrong game for you. The whole momentum system is done horribly wrong, guys just fly around like rockets all the time, even on flatter ground, and squirrely landings don't seem to slow you down or penalize you like they should. I've also yet to see any grinds anywhere, although it is possible to grind from what I understand.

Personally, I found the wingsuit to be fun for a short while, but the novelty wore off, and I just don't care much about skiing. For me, 'Infinite Air' is a much better fit, and a far more realistic take on snowboarding. You can also go wherever you want without the threat of a pending microtransaction. Some people may be into that sort of extortion, but I'm not.

# 2 Grestok @ 12/07/16 10:20 AM
A game that delivers crazy fun !

# 3 Eh-Red @ 12/07/16 11:08 AM
Great review! Loving the game so far. Having so much fun playing with friends.

# 4 Buddywalker @ 12/07/16 04:26 PM
I absolutely love this game

On Level 25 the helicopter tickets are for free and you can go where ever you want in seconds.

The controls are very easy and you earn XP for almost everthing.
So Level 25 isn't that hard to reach.

# 5 Buddywalker @ 12/07/16 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
The other big complaint about the game is that it is online only.
That is the only thing that really annoys me about Steep. There is no need to be always online. You can play any challenge as a single player. Otherwise I hadn't bought Steep.

# 6 CC @ 12/07/16 05:08 PM
So far, the only things that really bother me are that paragliding is like insanely boring. I haven't done it since the tutorial. Also, landing can be difficult and it feels like you have no control over it at times.

Other than that I really like it. However, If you need a lot of direction in your games this game probably wouldn't be for you.

# 7 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/08/16 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
I can appreciate the beauty of the landscape, and I agree the variety in gameplay is commendable. That said, if snowboarding is your main interest, this is the wrong game for you. The whole momentum system is done horribly wrong, guys just fly around like rockets all the time, even on flatter ground, and squirrely landings don't seem to slow you down or penalize you like they should. I've also yet to see any grinds anywhere, although it is possible to grind from what I understand.

Personally, I found the wingsuit to be fun for a short while, but the novelty wore off, and I just don't care much about skiing. For me, 'Infinite Air' is a much better fit, and a far more realistic take on snowboarding. You can also go wherever you want without the threat of a pending microtransaction. Some people may be into that sort of extortion, but I'm not.
Sums up my thoughts.

# 8 CujoMatty @ 12/08/16 01:50 AM
Not going to lie I was pretty worried about how this review was going to go but im glad you nailed it I don't usually care too much about reviews but I want this game to succeed so not only will there be support for a long time but also sequels and maybe even EA will see the value in pursuing another Skate title.

This game came out of nowhere and I played the beta and fell head over heels literally for this game. I have easily 30 hours into the game and am only 35 percent completion simply because the part of the game I enjoy most is finding unique runs and mastering them. I haven't had that enjoyment since Skate and feared I was never going to play a game like that again. What makes that even more enjoyable in Steep is the no loading and instant travel and respawn. Retrying a line numerous times is so much easier and enjoyable when its instantaneous.

Ubisoft Annecy did something very special here that hopefully lays the ground work for even better things down the road. Back to the mountain for me.

# 9 CujoMatty @ 12/08/16 02:30 AM
Quote:

Most people are saying the opposite about speed and their dislike for the g force meter that curbs speed so i'm not sure what you were experiencing. I mean no disrespect, but what is the point in commenting on Mark Mcmorris Infinite Air in the Steep review section? I own both games and enjoy them but its apples and oranges. Mark Mcmorris is going for a realistic snowboarding experience who's strong point is doing singular runs with a major focus on the tricks. Steep Isn't trying at all to be that. Steep didn't even have the name of the tricks display when you did them for both beta's. They added them in right before release and Steep doesn't even have a grinding mechanic lol. Steep is about the mountains and plopping you down to explore and throws a wide variety of challenges for some structure. If your mentality going in to steep is to bang out challenges then ya its not going to be good. Saying that if snowboarding is your main interest that Steep is wrong for you is pretty misleading. Steep is about winter sports and a wide open mountain range playground and the snowboarding is really fun. Mark Mcmorris is just about snowboarding. They are both good in their own ways but comparing the two is like saying The Golf Club is a better game than Grand Theft Auto 5 because there's golf in both.

# 10 asu666 @ 12/08/16 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddywalker
That is the only thing that really annoys me about Steep. There is no need to be always online. You can play any challenge as a single player. Otherwise I hadn't bought Steep.
Me too, I was going to buy, but online only requirement killed it. I tend to keep great games, so a mandatory server connection makes them more like a long-term rental.

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 12/08/16 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
Most people are saying the opposite about speed and their dislike for the g force meter that curbs speed so i'm not sure what you were experiencing. I mean no disrespect, but what is the point in commenting on Mark Mcmorris Infinite Air in the Steep review section? I own both games and enjoy them but its apples and oranges. Mark Mcmorris is going for a realistic snowboarding experience who's strong point is doing singular runs with a major focus on the tricks. Steep Isn't trying at all to be that. Steep didn't even have the name of the tricks display when you did them for both beta's. They added them in right before release and Steep doesn't even have a grinding mechanic lol. Steep is about the mountains and plopping you down to explore and throws a wide variety of challenges for some structure. If your mentality going in to steep is to bang out challenges then ya its not going to be good. Saying that if snowboarding is your main interest that Steep is wrong for you is pretty misleading. Steep is about winter sports and a wide open mountain range playground and the snowboarding is really fun. Mark Mcmorris is just about snowboarding. They are both good in their own ways but comparing the two is like saying The Golf Club is a better game than Grand Theft Auto 5 because there's golf in both.
Fair enough, and honestly I'm still considering giving Steep a go, because I just really love the exploration part, and extreme sports games just rub me the right way in general. I've been watching tons of videos and I'm coming around to the idea that you can do more than race down the mountain at 100 mph, including some pretty cool grinds, believe it or not.

Honestly, I think I'm still just a bit miffed about Infinite Air getting a 3.5, from the same reviewer if I recall. It felt irresponsible then, and after seeing this review and having played both games, it irks me even more. It's one thing to prefer one or the other, but no way you can tell me that this game is 4 points better than that one, especially when his reasoning for the bad review essentially came down to "the controls are hard to learn".

# 12 CujoMatty @ 12/08/16 06:09 PM
Quote:
Fair enough, and honestly I'm still considering giving Steep a go, because I just really love the exploration part, and extreme sports games just rub me the right way in general. I've been watching tons of videos and I'm coming around to the idea that you can do more than race down the mountain at 100 mph, including some pretty cool grinds, believe it or not.

Honestly, I think I'm still just a bit miffed about Infinite Air getting a 3.5, from the same reviewer if I recall. It felt irresponsible then, and after seeing this review and having played both games, it irks me even more. It's one thing to prefer one or the other, but no way you can tell me that this game is 4 points better than that one, especially when his reasoning for the bad review essentially came down to "the controls are hard to learn".
Ya that I agree with a million percent. Infinite air is way better than 3.5. The funny thing to me was that the controls aren't even that hard. Maybe that's because I was playing a ton of skate 3 right before I got infinite air. I dunno but ya in general I'd say infinite air has gotten a raw deal.

The biggest thing hb studios really did wrong was make infinite air too expensive at launch. It's not even because it's not worth how much it was because it really is, I just think a lot of people passed on it who probably would have played it for 20 or even 30 bucks. I myself took 2 days to talk myself into it and I'm generally pretty reckless with my money lol. They should have built up the fan base then charge full price for infinite air 2. I see they are dropping the price now but with all the negative reviews it might be too late.

# 13 thegut @ 12/12/16 05:30 AM
Steep is beautiful, and the concept of open world terrain is ballsy and commendable. However, some design decisions have left me bewildered and frustrated.
First of all, paragliding should have only been for personal exploration only. Trying to race ungainly, slow moving, and unrealistic controlling paragliders around the mountain is an unbelievably bad idea. It is not fun and only pulls users out of the experience and back to their couch wondering who in the hell thought this was a good idea.
Secondly the controls are terrible. For a game aiming for realism, there is a lack of nuisance and tightness in control that is unforgivable. I don't feel like an elite snowboarder when I play this game. Hell, half the time the game doesn't even recognise when I release R2 to make a jump. Most of the runs don't require careful management of speed and line. The more difficult lines use ice to reduce control and the line is determined by the amount of tricks you need to pull. The illusion of being on the slope is undermined by the very controls and events the game forces you to endure.

I'm still having a good time but for the love of God get rid of the paragliding events and tighten the controls. I would rather fall down 1000 times due to my own mistakes rather then play with my fingers crossed the game will recognise my controller input.

# 14 DBMcGee3 @ 12/12/16 01:33 PM
Quote:

After caving in to my impulsive nature and buying the game over the weekend, I must humbly say I'm having a pretty awesome time so far. The mountain is absolutely breathtaking, enough so that I find myself just wandering around quite a bit, and thus far my limitations in terms of drop zone access have not been too annoying. I've finally taken a bit more to the controls, and as a result I'm truly enjoying the snowboarding, and I like skiing far more than I thought I would actually. I've even taken a shine to the wingsuit, further diversifying my experience. Like others have said, I could take or leave the paragliding. It's kinda cool to fly through a valley and check out the scenery, I just don't much enjoy the racing challenges, as the controls aren't great for that facet of the game and it just isn't much fun in my opinion.

At the end of the day, great game. Lots of unlockables, which are video game crack to me, and lots of cool online components. Love the replay system as well. My biggest gripe is probably the frame rate issues. Hopefully a PS4 Pro upgrade will at least improve upon that a bit. Does anyone know if the game already has been or will be patched for the Pro? Thinking about grabbing one this weekend. Waiting on my Christmas bonus like Clark Griswold, lol.

# 15 CujoMatty @ 12/12/16 07:10 PM
The game runs at 60 frames on pro but not locked so there are occasional frame rate dips but I only noticed it once. I also noticed that there is virtually no pop in with the pro as compared to the beta I had on Xbox one anyways. As for official patched in support such as 4k ubisoft announced a while ago they were supporting the PS4 pro they just haven't revealed when and what exactly to expect.

As for the controls, it is a fairly common complaint so I think it's justifiable to assume things will probably get tightened up. In the meantime however you do get used to them. Timing the jump is tough at first because it does feel like you have to release earlier than maybe you should. My 2 biggest tips are:
1. Don't hold up on the left stick. It will screw up your jump every time.
2. Speed really matters. The game is meant to punish you if you go too fast. In real life the faster you go the less control you have and the surface youre on also effects control severely. Watch the documentary higher on Netflix and you'll see what I mean. The tip is to speed check with the right analog stick to help control the g meter. After a big slope or big jump press down on the right stick to turn your board sideways and you'll slow down just enough to gain control back. You see it in real life all the time in the xgames or dew tour before guys do jumps to control speed. You cannot just go full boar down the mountain like ssx in this game and honestly that's a good thing.

# 16 DBMcGee3 @ 12/13/16 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
The game runs at 60 frames on pro but not locked so there are occasional frame rate dips but I only noticed it once. I also noticed that there is virtually no pop in with the pro as compared to the beta I had on Xbox one anyways. As for official patched in support such as 4k ubisoft announced a while ago they were supporting the PS4 pro they just haven't revealed when and what exactly to expect.

As for the controls, it is a fairly common complaint so I think it's justifiable to assume things will probably get tightened up. In the meantime however you do get used to them. Timing the jump is tough at first because it does feel like you have to release earlier than maybe you should. My 2 biggest tips are:
1. Don't hold up on the left stick. It will screw up your jump every time.
2. Speed really matters. The game is meant to punish you if you go too fast. In real life the faster you go the less control you have and the surface youre on also effects control severely. Watch the documentary higher on Netflix and you'll see what I mean. The tip is to speed check with the right analog stick to help control the g meter. After a big slope or big jump press down on the right stick to turn your board sideways and you'll slow down just enough to gain control back. You see it in real life all the time in the xgames or dew tour before guys do jumps to control speed. You cannot just go full boar down the mountain like ssx in this game and honestly that's a good thing.
I've done ok with the jumps, because the game tells you right away what the ideal release point is. And yeah, slowing down is crucial, especially if you want any chance of doing grinds, or if you're on a bumpier part of the mountain. I typically only press up on the LS when I have a clear path to a decent jump, and even then I let go of it well before I hit the ramp so I have time to get myself set for the trick.

Now if I could just teach my brain to stop doing the same tricks over and over, lol.

# 17 pk500 @ 12/13/16 12:22 PM
I might be interested in this game once it drops to $30 or lower, possibly as soon as after Christmas. The demo did little for me.

# 18 Tomba @ 12/14/16 10:40 AM
Upsets me that PRO support is not available at launch

# 19 allBthere @ 12/15/16 08:53 AM
any thoughts on skiing in the game? That's my main interest. I was hoping a game like snow or this one would include one of my fav winter sports ski jumping!
But can you get a decent downhill vibe?

# 20 CujoMatty @ 12/15/16 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
any thoughts on skiing in the game? That's my main interest. I was hoping a game like snow or this one would include one of my fav winter sports ski jumping!
But can you get a decent downhill vibe?
Ski jumping would be cool. I personally think skiing is cool. Id like the ability to make slalom courses though.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.