Home
Strategy Guide
UFC 2009 Undisputed: Pre-Fight Strategy

First rule of the Octagon, don’t talk about the Octagon. But seriously, walking in with your head up and your hands down will quickly lead to you getting knocked out. You might be able to pull off some flash knockouts, but the lack of strategy will have you on the mat in no time. Any plans of attack you might have learned from WWE Smackdown vs. Raw or Fight Night won’t apply here either. The UFC is an entirely different beast. Doing your homework before a fight will pay dividends by the time the bell sounds. So here’s what you can do to improve your record.

Matchups

No matter what your skill level, certain matchups will hurt your chances of winning. Wrestlers are more likely to be bruisers who are looking to knock fighters out when they are on their back or feet. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighters are dangerous from any position, and especially dangerous when it comes to the submission game. Judo is like a mix of both, working in takedowns and submissions but losing some of translation from each one. You also need to be aware of height and reach advantages, as they come into play in UFC 2009 Undisputed.

It may be tough to remember the pros and cons of every style. If you aren’t sure if your fighting style fits your opponent, try and fight someone with the same style as your chosen fighter. That way the most important thing is your experience, rather than knowing whether or not your kickboxing wrestler would lose to a boxing jiu-jitsu practitioner. Just watch out for Georges St. Pierre (probably the most versatile fighter in the game).

Feel Them Out

The worst mistake you can make inside the Octagon is to start throwing haymakers as soon as you’re unleashed from your corner. While each fighter has a combination of fighting styles, each individual you face will approach each match differently. While you might feel the need to come out with guns blazing, don't forget that there are multiple rounds for you to throw bombs in. The key here is to use the first round to see what your opponent does while not exposing your own tendencies.

Your opponent might also let up in the second round, thinking that he can toy with you. This is when you strike. If your adversary likes to throw a jab-straight combo, you’re ready to counter with a clinch or a takedown. If he goes for the takedown often, keep your distance before launching your offense or be ready to sprawl. While everyone loves a knockout, taking it to the scorecards counts just the same in the record books.

Go for the Takedown Early

This tip is for more accomplished players who aware of their opponent’s lack of polish. In my experiences online, many people are unfamiliar with the ground game. You can end a match early if you take your opponent down, get into mount position and begin the ground and pound. New players will assuredly go for the impact strikes, at which point a takedown is easy to achieve.

But watch out, a 0-0 online record doesn’t necessarily mean you’re facing a new player. I know plenty of people who have spent time in the career mode crafting their skills in order to test their might online.

Losing is inevitable in the UFC. This isn’t like boxing where you need a 45-1 record to make the big money; every UFC veteran has some losses under his belt. These three steps won’t give you a flawless record, but following them will definitely improve your game.

Check back next week for Jack Hoeffel’s tips for UFC Undisputed 2009.

UFC 2009 Undisputed Videos
Member Comments
# 1 spfhelmiii @ 06/18/09 09:16 AM
Second Timmay's comment. Here are two more: don't ever fight against someone using Frank Mir, and don't fight against someone using a created fighter.

As to the Mir comment, 90% of my losses so far are to Mir users. While it is still possible to beat him, a user who knows only a little about what they are doing can be deadly on the ground. I've lost to users with far worse ground skills than I, simply because they could execute transitions right through my transition blocks, and if I had any hit on stamina, could make me tap. Just not worth it.

As for created fighters, they vary, but my from my recollection you need to make sure and preview their stats before the fight begins (in the selection screen). That means choosing your fighter AFTER they choose theirs, otherwise you can't see their stats once they click 'ready'. If you don't, you have no idea what type of fighter you are against, and can get in trouble (say if they maxed out ground and submissions, but you weren't aware of this).

# 2 Salhus @ 06/19/09 12:31 AM
Ill fight CAFs who are real fighters..fedor/kimbo/couture AND they have realistic attributes.

For my strategy, same as Timmay.. Just adapt to whatever the opponent throws at you. I also block clinches/takedowns quite a bit. You'll be open shortly for strikes, but its usually worth it

# 3 p_rushing @ 06/19/09 09:53 AM
I've fought a few CAF, but after I fought one who had over 100 in submission, never again. I was able to keep it going for a few minutes, but the guy kept running at me and then somehow pulled off some crazy submission.

# 4 joey3002 @ 06/19/09 10:54 AM
The game rocks. I am still learning and have 2 careers in the game. I am now working with ground strategies. I first made a boxer, he did great, until I got to mir/lesner. Couldnt beat them for the life of me, thus, I never won the belt. Now im making a ground fighter, fights go longer but I usually win.

Join the best free mma online game on the planet - mmahavoc.com

# 5 Matt Young @ 06/19/09 01:45 PM
I'm with Timmay. The Thai clinch is way overpowered.

# 6 football5680 @ 06/19/09 02:23 PM
I usually do ground and pound or wait till they get tired then take them down and tap them out.

# 7 NYG_Meth @ 06/19/09 02:26 PM
It's all about being able to adapt, but like Timmay said, AVOID THAT MUY THAI CLINCH AT ALL COSTS lol.

# 8 judgejudy @ 06/19/09 04:26 PM
my strategies are as follows:
Avoid Mir
Avoid CAF's
Avoid Thai Clinch.

that's really all you need.

# 9 Dean3790 @ 06/20/09 01:28 AM
I'm happy I'm not the only person that HATES/REFUSES to fight Mir.

# 10 Millennium @ 06/20/09 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Bowler
-You don't stand a chance using Wrestling or Judo against a skilled BJJ guy unless you get lucky on your feet.

-Nog is your best bet against Mir, but you're still at a disadvantage. AA isn't a bad choice either, but yea it's ridiculous all the moves Mir has.

-Anderson Silvia is practically unbeatable in either weight class if you know how to use him.
Not true at all. My Karo wishes to discuss this with you.

# 11 LingeringRegime @ 06/20/09 02:25 PM
Quote:
Anderson Silvia is practically unbeatable in either weight class if you know how to use him.
If someone picks Silva I actually love it. I normally win easily, because most of the Silva users don't know what the hell they are doing. But, you're right if someone does know how to use him then you are in a lot of trouble.

# 12 PlatooN @ 06/22/09 11:00 AM
good read.

# 13 SHO @ 06/22/09 11:42 AM
Quote:
-You don't stand a chance using Wrestling or Judo against a skilled BJJ guy unless you get lucky on your feet.
False. I primarily use wrestlers and can do work on skilled BJJ guys.

When comes to fight Mir, I tend to pick fighters with high ground striking offense decent grapple defense like Cain Valasquez (sic?), take them down, sit in guard and just pound away. The key is not letting them (or any BJJ guy) get into rubber guard.

# 14 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 06/22/09 03:18 PM
my approach is based soley on the opponents scouting report / record compared with who I'm using. if I see the person does not have a lot of wins via submission, I may aim to submit him. Ultimately, it depends on the strengths of my fighter. if I am using cro cop, I am gonna aim to KO with a kick. Jon Fitch, submit. W. Silva, clinch strikes. of course, if it goes to the ground game, I'm aiming to mount.

# 15 UNC_Pete @ 06/22/09 10:34 PM
If I am in rubber guard defense I just transition block til the ref stands us up. lol

# 16 judgejudy @ 06/23/09 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
If I am in rubber guard defense I just transition block til the ref stands us up. lol
if you're in rubber guard you should just do a minor transition and get to full mount. from there you can try to do some GNP or if you're not comfortable, just stand back up

# 17 UNC_Pete @ 06/23/09 10:01 AM
I meant to say if I was put in the rubber gaurd..

# 18 judgejudy @ 06/23/09 02:25 PM
ah, gotcha.

# 19 goodguys9 @ 07/21/09 12:43 AM
Just made a guy to try a light weight career on expert. I did it with no losses. Wanna know how?

1. Choose your fights carefully, and spar before the fight to see if there ground based or standing based and assign skills accordingly.

2. Max out your abilities before you even start sparring for skills.

3. Most importantly, I was a Judo Kickboxer. Kickboxers if you can use them properly are way overpowered. Judo is just so u don't die if they bring you down, and to stop muay tie fighters from taking advantage of the clinch.

# 20 NYG_Meth @ 07/21/09 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC_Pete
I meant to say if I was put in the rubber gaurd..
If you're put into rubber guard, even if you use transition blocks, they will eventually transition on you (usually into full mount). In order to prevent this, it's important to either avoid rubber guard as best you can, or become comfortable with reversals. Ever since I've learned reversals, I am not comfortable against ANYONE on the ground.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.