This article is part of an ongoing Madden NFL 10 Strategy series provided to Operation Sports by Askmadden.com. Be sure to check them out for more great Madden Strategies!
The Jaguars have been reported as saying they would consider drafting Tim Tebow in the first round. However, it's another team in Florida that could really use Tebow for its Wildcat formation.
My Dream Wildcat
How I Would Run It
Tim Tebow takes the snap out of the Wildcat formation. Ronnie Brown assumes the role of the play-action running back, either taking the handoff or being used for the fake. Pat White lines up at the wide-receiver position opposite of the side Ronnie Brown starts on (where Chad Henne sometimes lines up).
The Basic Options
1. Tim Tebow play-action run
2. Tim Tebow play-action pass
3. Ronnie Brown run
4. Ronnie Brown pass after receiving the handoff
5. Ronnie Brown accepts handoff and hands off the Pat White on a reverse
6. Pat White accepts handoff from Ronnie Brown and looks to pass
7. Ronnie Brown accepts handoff and hands off to Pat White who then throws back to Tebow who then in turn looks to pass or run
The options are endless...
What Madden Needs To Do To Fix the Wildcat in Madden 11
One of the problems halting my dreams from coming true is that all of the options I just listed are not possible in Madden because of all the restrictions on the Wildcat. So this is what Madden needs to fix to make the Wildcat actually be the Wildcat:
1. Be able to scramble from a pass play. That is how Ronnie Brown does it in real life -- he scrambles to the left and then makes a pass.
2. Use the QB that is lined up as a WR. We have seen it on Sunday -- the ball ends up back in the hands of the quarterback who then attempts a pass. We have also seen this from Chad Pennington. There are no plays in Madden 10 that allow this to happen.
3. Give us the ability to create our own plays. Why was this taken out? We used to be able to create our own plays and playbooks. Bring this option back so we can create creative offenses like the Wildcat or make our play variations within current formations.
The Bottom Line
My dream is that the Dolphins will draft Tim Tebow, giving them a ridiculous amount of options out of the Wildcat. In addition to being fun to watch on Sunday, it would be great to be able to run the Wildcat in Madden 11. Unfortunately, there are two problems:
1. The Dolphins will probably not draft Tebow (I can live with this).
2. I am worried EA developers will not do what they claim they want to do -- make a game where whatever you see on Sunday is what you see in the game. The Wildcat is useless unless it can be run like it is on Sunday. So what that means is NO RESTRICTIONS. Until there are no restrictions, my dream will remain a dream.