Home
Strategy Guide
Madden NFL 12: Best Position Switches

Think your speedy third-string quarterback in Madden 12 would make a better wide receiver? Have an inkling that your gifted wideout could hack it at tight end? Ever wonder if your slow-footed corner would be better suited as a strong safety?

Most of the time you’d be wrong, but in certain cases position switches in Madden could turn an average schmo into an All-Star Joe. Here are a few players in Madden who benefit the most from lining up at different positions on the virtual gridiron. 

Hines Ward, Pittsburgh
WR rating: 80
TE rating: 96

Ward has always been a ferocious blocker, but it’s shocking how much better he is at moving the pole than many of the players lining up at tight end in Madden.

His impact block rating of 85 is better than almost every tight end; his catch in traffic rating of 91 also makes him a valuable target at his new position.
Plus, matched up against linebackers and strong safeties, Ward can get open — something he struggles to do against corners with his tortoise-like speed and agility ratings. Moving him to tight end also provides more flexibility in formations, allowing you to shift Ward into the fullback position.

Brian Orakpo, Washington, Clay Matthews, Green Bay, Mario Williams, Houston; etc.
OLB rating: 90-94
DE rating: 99

Moving any elite pass-rushing outside linebacker to defensive end results in a 99 rating. This is especially useful if you prefer to fun a 4-3 defense.

Ronde Barber, Tampa Bay
CB rating: 83
SS rating: 94

As I mentioned in a previous article, Barber is simply better at the safety positions.

His zone coverage skills are top-notch, but when Barber is put in a one-on-one situation he is picked apart. Just slide him over to free safety or strong safety and watch him shine.

Don Muhlbach, Detroit
TE rating: 42
LG/C/RG rating: 67

Muhlbach is Detroit's longsnapper, but you might as well get a little more use out of him since he is eating up a roster spot.

As a tight end he is about as useless as a rotary phone. Make him an interior offensive lineman and you'll have an adequate backup at those positions. Plus, he can still longsnap for you — and we all know how valuable that is in Madden.

Al Woods, Pittsburgh
LE rating: 54
DT rating: 67

Again, this is all about scheme.

In the 3-4, Woods is a defensive end. But with his enormous size and healthy strength ratings, he makes a better defensive tackle, especially in a 4-3 attack.

Josh Cribbs, Cleveland
WR rating: 80
QB rating: 62

Why should the people who use Denver have all the fun? 

Cleveland’s offense is pedestrian at best with Colt McCoy running the show.
Cribbs, who was a quarterback at Kent State, gives you somewhat of a chance to run around and make plays. His passing ratings are pretty terrible — 67 short pass accuracy, 51 medium pass accuracy and a cringeworthy 42 deep pass rating — but the Browns don’t have any receivers worth throwing throwing the ball to, anyway. 

Give it a whirl. You’re using the Browns. What do you have to lose?

Tim Tebow, Denver
QB rating:
HB rating: 82

Most think Tebow is a glorified running back anyway. In Madden, though, he is an adequate passer.

However, he’s a much better runner with ratings like 86 trucking and 97 ball carrier vision. A move to halfback actually gives him a slight boost.

Run the wildcat with him. Run him in the Power-I and turn him into a poor man's Peyton Hillis. Heck, run a halfback-option pass a few times a game. 

Who are some of the most successful position changes you have made in Madden?

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 teebee @ 12/18/11 03:57 PM
I moved Tebow to lead singer of "Our God is Awesome"

You should see the turnout in the congregation since he took over, UNREAL

# 22 bigbob @ 12/19/11 01:48 AM
Another one that some people may over look because of the overall, but I was messing around yesterday with the Raiders and moved Pryor to tight end. I very rarely use this term, but it's necessary in this case. Beast. While using a set of All-Madden sliders, he created huge mismatches due to his 90 speed. While using "Ask Madden" (because I don't want to get caught cheating the computer by finding a money play), a tight end screen popped up and he went 65 yards for the score. I was shocked that moving him worked out as well as it did.

# 23 Driveshaft815 @ 12/19/11 10:24 AM
Change Jim Kleinsasser (Vikings 3rd string TE) to FB, and he goes up to an 80 OVR. One hell of a blocker.

# 24 KBLover @ 12/19/11 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Yeah, but again, it doesn't really matter, because his OVR doesn't define how well he plays, his actually skills do. So yes, he would be worse as an OLB in terms of OVR rating, but he'd rush just as well in the game so while it bugs me too that they don't overhaul the OVR calculation, it's not like it's a game-breaker.
Yeah, ideally, Freeney would actually play worse as a 3-4 DE because 3-4 DE would actually play different than a 4-3 DE.

Freeney wouldn't do "Freeney things" like he does as a 4-3 (always try to gain the edge to exploit the T), but he would try to do 3-4 things (like forcing double teams on him or defending two gaps) which he couldn't do because his BSH and STR would be too low.

But then you put him as OLB - and he plays more like Ware. He's disruptive and dynamic pass rusher again, but then his coverage ability may come into consideration.

Likewise, someone like Ngata trying to be a 4-3 DE wouldn't work because he doesn't have the speed to get around the edge. He'd still be a good run stopper, but in a pure pass rush situation, you might have to sub in a better pass rusher. I mean, when the Ravens play a "4-3 look", it's Suggs as the "DE". There's a reason for that.

# 25 TheDelta @ 12/19/11 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Another one that some people may over look because of the overall, but I was messing around yesterday with the Raiders and moved Pryor to tight end. I very rarely use this term, but it's necessary in this case. Beast. While using a set of All-Madden sliders, he created huge mismatches due to his 90 speed. While using "Ask Madden" (because I don't want to get caught cheating the computer by finding a money play), a tight end screen popped up and he went 65 yards for the score. I was shocked that moving him worked out as well as it did.
He's a guy with 90 speed, good catch skills and a lot of power, so he's definitely a great slot receiver. But I'm hesitant to put him at TE because he can't block worth ****, I usually just move him to WR if I don't want to use him as a QB (again, it's too easy picking up guys with 90 speed that can catch, but getting a guy with 90 speed that can throw is a lot harder, so I don't really like moving him away from QB much)

# 26 bigbob @ 12/19/11 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
He's a guy with 90 speed, good catch skills and a lot of power, so he's definitely a great slot receiver. But I'm hesitant to put him at TE because he can't block worth ****, I usually just move him to WR if I don't want to use him as a QB (again, it's too easy picking up guys with 90 speed that can catch, but getting a guy with 90 speed that can throw is a lot harder, so I don't really like moving him away from QB much)
The reason I move him to tight end, even though he can't block, is I used it for the match up. Pryor vs a linebacker is a lot deadlier then him against a cornerback. If I really need someone to block, I can just bring Boss in and use him.

# 27 bigbob @ 12/19/11 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaft815
Change Jim Kleinsasser (Vikings 3rd string TE) to FB, and he goes up to an 80 OVR. One hell of a blocker.
I do that as soon as I start up a Vikings Franchse because I can't stand D'Impero and not only does it move him to an 80, he doesn't retire for 2-3 more years when he usually retires right after the first season for me.

# 28 RogueHominid @ 12/19/11 04:05 PM
This is more of a general principle than a specific case, but I've found that offensive lineman can get decent ratings boosts if you make sure your high speed and agility guys are at T and your stronger, slower, less agile guys are at C/G. The game often has players in less than ideal spots along the line, especially younger players and backups. Putting LT with higher strength at RT also helps boost ratings. I always make sure I do this early in my franchise.

# 29 JayD @ 12/19/11 05:33 PM
need a Madden rating overhaul!!

# 30 Realitey @ 12/20/11 07:18 AM
reggie bush from hb to wr boosts his rating to 86 one of my favorite position changes

# 31 Pandetta @ 12/20/11 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaft815
The Sass-man was one of the best FB's in the league when he was younger (probably THE best at one point). Considering they have a good young TE and another aging vet backup, I don't know why they don't just use Kleinsasser as a FB again - he is far superior at that position in the real NFL too.

# 32 bigbob @ 12/20/11 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
The Sass-man was one of the best FB's in the league when he was younger (probably THE best at one point). Considering they have a good young TE and another aging vet backup, I don't know why they don't just use Kleinsasser as a FB again - he is far superior at that position in the real NFL too.
They have this year, just not as much as some of us would like. I'd much prefer a permanent shift to full back for Kleinsasser and the release of D'Imperio. I won't say that Kleinsasser is as good as Tony Richardson was, but I'd put him up there because of his blocking ability.

# 33 knighthawksfan @ 12/20/11 09:03 PM
madden 12 was so trash this year omg smh

# 34 kiz5 @ 12/21/11 08:36 AM
Harvin at RB and Keith Bulluck to SS.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

# 35 nl15 @ 12/21/11 04:28 PM
After the first year Antoine Winfield was 89. I switched him to SS and he was 99!!! Holy crap!!

# 36 doominic77 @ 12/24/11 02:48 PM
NaVorro Bowman from MLB to SS, 87 to 91 but looking at he stats he would do the best ingame.

# 37 lcisdmustang62 @ 12/25/11 02:39 AM
Pretty much changing any OLB that has at least an overall coverage rating of 60 or 65 ish will be good at SS. Keith Bulluck is like a 88-92, Lofa Tatupu is a 94(i believe), and some others are good as well. This will get you some young talent at those positions.

# 38 Sundrop17 @ 03/29/12 06:33 PM
I'd love to know how 2 get my presnap plays from showing when playing madden12 online...I have 2 tap my R2 button & most of the time it doesn't work......HELP

# 39 cardsvsstros @ 08/16/13 09:41 PM
Charles Woodson to strong safety. he goes from 93 or so at corner to 99 at strong safety. I didn't try free safety because nick Collins is there and he is a 96. Morgan Burnett is a 77 with A potential but having woodson at a 99 is just too good to pass up. It leaves an "up for grabs" spot at 2nd corner though. I recommend resigning Al Harris to the least amount of money as possible, because he retires after a year.

# 40 Yrogergj24 @ 08/16/13 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsvsstros
Charles Woodson to strong safety. he goes from 93 or so at corner to 99 at strong safety. I didn't try free safety because nick Collins is there and he is a 96. Morgan Burnett is a 77 with A potential but having woodson at a 99 is just too good to pass up. It leaves an "up for grabs" spot at 2nd corner though. I recommend resigning Al Harris to the least amount of money as possible, because he retires after a year.
Why the hell did you bump this

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.