Home
Strategy Guide
OS Tip of the Day: Take Risks

Take Risks

There are never rewards without the risks.

I'm talking about the playoffs here. Is your No. 1 ace too tired to play on three days rest? Even if he is, don't pay attention to his stamina bar. You're in it to win it once you reach the fall season, so five or six good innings from your top-of-the-rotation guy is better than seven innings of mediocrity. But remember, the risk is that you're pitcher will have a terrible outing and lose the series for you. It's a big risk, but if you've mastered the art of your top pitcher, do it.

What are some other risks you've taken in an MLB 12: The Show franchise??

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 crashgsu2 @ 04/19/12 01:35 PM
Suicide squeeze when trying to drive in the run on 3rd. As long as you get a pitch in the strikezone, its 95% successful. I use this all the time instead of a sac fly in that situation.

# 2 Knight165 @ 04/19/12 01:45 PM
I noted this in other threads....
But I have been going against the "conventional wisdom" in regards to pinch hitting and pitching as of late.

In two separate cases in two game vs. the Phillies...I opted to stick with my sub player(subbing for "fatigue") in the likes of Ronny Cedeno and Mike Nickeas in situations where it was "obviously" more likely to get hits with either a higher rated hitter or the vs. handedness matchup.
In the case with Cedeno...a homerun!
In the case of Nickeas...a two run double.
Sometimes....it's just the managers hunch!

M.K.
Knight165

# 3 addybojangles @ 04/19/12 02:32 PM
crashgsu2 - I've found that to be my go-to as well.

# 4 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/19/12 05:05 PM
Keep in mind, the right play call is the one that works.

# 5 Perfect Zero @ 04/19/12 05:14 PM
I've found that if you can start reading what the pitcher will do next early in the game, you can save that knowledge for hit and runs latter on. As I'm playing through my Rangers franchise, I'm using the hit and run to produce a good number of victories this season. I've also been using the sacrifice bunt more often when I have speedsters on the base, and I've been letting my pitchers go deeper into games.

# 6 ManiacMatt1782 @ 04/19/12 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashgsu2
Suicide squeeze when trying to drive in the run on 3rd. As long as you get a pitch in the strikezone, its 95% successful. I use this all the time instead of a sac fly in that situation.
It needs to be fixed, even guys with bad bunting ratings get it down and fair way too frequently.

# 7 supermanemblem @ 04/20/12 07:43 PM
I'm playing with the Padres so I have to manufacture most of my runs. Maybin, Barlett and Venable have the green light on first base. Headley and Denorfio are given the cue to run in hit and run situations or when I thing the pitcher is throwing offspeed pitches in the dirt.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.