Home
Strategy Guide
NBA 2K13: Six Best Role Players for Your Association
NBA 2K13 just released, and some of us are still fiddling with our lineups trying to get that perfect team for the Association mode. Trying to figure out your starting lineup is only the beginning. What about the role players that, might not be a high-scoring threat, can still help you in those tough situations? That's what Operation Sports is here for today, to help give you the six best role players (in no particular order).

James Harden

This one is pretty much a no-brainer. Harden is an overall 81 overall and he can play point guard, shooting guard, or small forward. He is the epitome of a role player. His defense is above average, but he truly shines on the offensive side of the ball. A handling rating of 83, a 3-point shooting rating of 86, and an inside scoring rating of 87? Yeah, he can get the job done if a starting player is having trouble, or if you just want to give him a shot one game.

Taj Gibson

Gibson is a player who can help you out on both sides of the ball with his 84 block rating, 90 inside scoring rating, and 90 offensive rebounding rating. For some players who are starting an Association, you might already have a power forward / center you feel confident with. His overall rating might only be a 77 -- but don't let that fool you -- Gibson is the best role player at those two positions. He is also great with the hook shot or posting up defenders with his strength and his 84 close shooting rating.

Antawn Jamison

The days of being a star player is a thing of the past for Jamison. He still has a respectable 83 offensive rebound rating and an 80 3-point rating, but he's no longer a player who can carry a team on his back. He can, however, still do the job of getting those crucial rebounds and hitting a big shot on occasions. Just don't expect him to help you win several games in-a-row during your Association. Letting him play about 20%-25% of the time will help with rebounding and if you enjoy the pick & roll, Jamison can run that play with ease.

Ray Allen

Ray Allen, much like Antawn Jamison, has passed his prime as a player who will start and get the majority of minutes at shooting guard. In NBA 2K13, Allen, still has a very good 91 3-point rating. In the cases where you're down three and you need to hit one, Allen is definitely the player who can be subbed in for that. His overall rating might be down from past iterations (79), but he can still provide the necessary spark for your team in those close Association mode games.

Iman Shumpert

Shumpert is not at the level of being a star point guard in the NBA 2K series, but he's darn close. Need a steal to help you get back in the game? With his 89 steal rating, Shumpert is the guy to do just that. He's also not half bad on the offensive end with a 76 3-point rating, and an 80 inside scoring rating. Also, don't expect him to lose the ball too much due to his 84 handling rating. If your starting point guard needs the rest, Shumpert is the perfect player to put in.

Jason Terry

Terry has made a career out of being a dependable role player. In NBA 2K13, that's no different (77 overall). Although he is far from being the best role player, Terry still has the skills With his ability to play shooting guard, and even point guard if need be, Terry can help you go on a run or hit that spot up jump shot, with his 85 3-point rating. Not only that, but he does still posses the speed to blow past certain defenders and finish off the play with his 87 close shooting rating.

You might know someone who you think is a better role player. If so, let us know in the comments below.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 biggiejerseys @ 10/17/12 01:40 PM
I've always liked Delonte West. Really good defender, can play both guard positions, and solid offensive player as well.

# 22 Onix24 @ 10/17/12 02:10 PM
What about Jaret Jack? I averaged 21 points and 8 assists per game when Steph Curry got injured badly .

# 23 biggiejerseys @ 10/17/12 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGotti
Good thing were talking about 2k and not real life for JR. Dudes garbage.
I wouldn't say he's garbage. He does however get very jumper happy at times but when he's hitting his shots, he's lights out. J.R.'s a very streaky shooter.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

# 24 biggiejerseys @ 10/17/12 02:47 PM
Another player that I didn't see mentioned is Anthony Morrow. His first 2 years in the league, he led the league in 3P FG%. Very good shooter and good size for a 2/3.

# 25 sticks323 @ 10/17/12 02:50 PM
Anthony Morrow, He can shoot the 3...n he has Microwave so he heats up fast...

# 26 okstate19 @ 10/17/12 04:31 PM
Big thumbs up for Morrow and Jack. I've used those guys in past associations as well. Even though 2k12 doesn't even come close to 2k13 (in my opinion,) I used Morrow to help lift the New Jersey Nets out of the East cellar last year. He's a player I usually look for now. Jack is a great scoring option at PG too.

Off topic: I can usually hit anywhere from around 20-27 in the 3-point contest with Morrow. And strangely, same thing goes for Mike Conley. Both players' rhythm and timing in the 3-point shootout are way easy in my opinion.

# 27 JazzMan @ 10/17/12 04:40 PM
How do you not have Ginobili on this list?
Beaubois is a great combo guard off the bench, Mike Miller is money from 3 in 2k13, and Jose Calderon is an excellent backup PG

# 28 biggiejerseys @ 10/17/12 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyklug2013

Beaubois is a great combo guard off the bench, Mike Miller is money from 3 in 2k13, and Jose Calderon is an excellent backup PG
B/c Manu's too obvious? Lol.

# 29 jeremym480 @ 10/17/12 05:29 PM
Quote:
Because this is 2k we're talking about here, so you're not using SA, then Manu's a starter

I'm using my Celtics this year, Terry as well as Jeff Green could easily start for me. Sullinger has been surprising so far too.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

# 30 Optik @ 10/17/12 06:38 PM
Jason Terry's jumpshot is MONEY in this game. Just destroyed someone online with him. He was hot in the 3rd quarter, nailing 3 threes in a row and he ended up with a statline of 20pts 8-8 FG 4-4 3pt, in other words, perfection. With his Microwave, Closer and Spot up shooter sig skills, who needs Ray Allen? LOL

# 31 The_Wise_One @ 10/17/12 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Jason Terry's jumpshot is MONEY in this game. Just destroyed someone online with him. He was hot in the 3rd quarter, nailing 3 threes in a row and he ended up with a statline of 20pts 8-8 FG 4-4 3pt, in other words, perfection. With his Microwave, Closer and Spot up shooter sig skills, who needs Ray Allen? LOL
Yes he is unstoppable sometimes on pro....I scored 40 with him online without even meaning too. Rondo had 24 assists.

# 32 biggiejerseys @ 10/17/12 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
When the Jet gets hot, its game over.

# 33 ItsOrangeBaby @ 10/17/12 08:32 PM
I think Grant Hill and Dorrell Wright are 2 nice role players to have in your association, since they both have the ability to play both forward spots, great offensive and defensive skills, and both could end a game game with 20+ points on very few shots.

# 34 muelly54 @ 10/17/12 11:52 PM
I picked up Quentin RIchardson as a throw in in a trade with Orlando in my Bucks season and he has been spectacular off the bench. I've had good luck with Q and even Austin Daye. Daye has great size and can hit the outside shot, Daye has only played limited minutes though. I'm also really like Tobias Harris off the bench.

I'm still debating if I should start Harris and bring Ilyasova off the bench or not. I start Ilyasova at SF with Udoh at PF. Only thing I keep thinking is if I bench Ilyasova his natural position is PF on the game and I have a glut of big men (Sanders, Udoh, Henson).... traded Gooden away (yuck hate that guy)

# 35 Steven123 @ 10/18/12 12:05 AM
Shump is considered the Starter, so he should be replaced with JR Smith, who is a great bench player. No Ginobli?

# 36 muelly54 @ 10/18/12 12:10 AM
Lebron James is a good role player in year 2023

# 37 JazzMan @ 10/18/12 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiejerseys
B/c Manu's too obvious? Lol.

So is Harden..

# 38 biggiejerseys @ 10/18/12 08:34 PM
Quote:
So is Harden..
Very true. If you play more than 30 mpg you shouldn't be eligible to win 6th man of the year.

# 39 blklightning @ 10/18/12 09:33 PM
I was hoping you wouldn't use ratings in the descriptions. I find this game to be much better by completely ignoring the ratings when possible. Just put the guys on the court and see what they can do. The game is so lifelike that ratings just take away from the experience.

# 40 BlueJays09 @ 10/22/12 09:00 PM
I am playing with Boston and have Terry and Lee coming off the bench with Bradley starting...Terry is nice ...hes gets me 12ppg with some threes, assists and steals playing pg/sg...he would definitely have more but he dont quite get the touches with all the players Boston has. But what about Jeff Green ...the dudes a beast...I have used him at sg, sf, pf and he is great no matter where...coming off the bench hes gettin 13/6 with a steal and 0.8 blks...beastly for 25 mins a game. Lastly Lee is an easy starter, or backup sg/sf and is nice gettin me 9ppg with 2 steals and some assists ...he can also hit the 3 ball...Boston is just too crowded but these are 3 solid role guys if you need someone cheap

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.