Home
Feature Article
Five Underrated Cars in Forza Motorsport 3

Anybody who has spent a decent amount of time online in Forza Motorsport 3 knows what the most popular cars are: the all-wheel drive Audis, Lancers and Imprezas. There are also some weirdly successful cars that everyone knows about, including the ’69 Nissan Fairlady Z that seems to pop up on the leaderboards on every track.

While these cars are all great, sometimes a little variety is nice, and I want to encourage my fellow Forza 3 racers to take a spin in five underrated cars that nobody seems to be driving.

5. 1969 Chevrolet Z28

This selection lets some of my taste in cars shine through. I love the classics, and I am a sucker for the big American muscle car -- plus I would like to see more oldies in online races. I picked the Z28 because it is a cheap classic at 31,000 credits, but even at that price it can most definitely compete. It is not as big or heavy as the other muscle cars, but still comes in with 290 horsepower. Stock, it is a class E racer and is difficult to drive. But, as with most of the muscle cars in the game, an upgrade to better and wider tires fixes most of its problems. Personally, I like mine upgraded close to the top of class B for a classic Trans-Am series racer.

4. Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

As the only fast Alfa Romeo in the game, and with Alfa’s reputation as a true driver’s car -- known for its sweet handling and general performance -- I am surprised I do not encounter these all the time in Forza. Adding to that is the fact that you get this 300,000 credit car for free after you reach driver level 19. It is a seriously quick car with plenty of power and an insane 192 mph top speed. Plus, it handles curves with ease and is firmly planted on the track, making it easier to drive than most rear-wheel drive cars in the game.

3. 2009 Ferrari California

I fell in love with this car the moment I drove it in the Forza 3 demo. It is actually in a very similar situation to the Alfa, as well as being a similar car, which is why I put them back to back on this list. I gave the Ferrari the edge because you get it as a reward car four levels earlier. In addition, while the Alfa Romeo can compete with the top of A-class stock, it will probably require some parts to be a consistent winner. The Ferrari, on the other hand, is a B-class contender out of the gate. And while I said the Alfa was easy to drive, the Ferrari feels like it could drive itself. It is one of the most composed cars on the track and never feels out of control.

2. 2005 Vauxhall Monaro VXR

This car is beyond rarely seen. I do not think most people have heard of the manufacturer, let alone the car. As a result, I do not ever see it online. Well, the thing is, you probably know this car. It is the British version of Australia’s Holden Monaro. The US also got a version of it during the last generation in the form of the Pontiac GTO. It is just a few steps away from the familiar. The thing is, the GTO is also in the game, so why would someone drive this unfamiliar beast? Well, for one thing, it out-muscle’s the original throwback muscle car 398 horsepower to 350, and it also has slightly quicker 0-60 and 0-100 times. What really gives the foreigner the advantage is the handling. The GTO always feels like is about to spin out, and it is a struggle to keep the back end from kicking out. The Monaro is much more stable for some reason, and it handles corners much more capably than its American cousin. There is one drawback to the Monaro that also explains its rarity online: It is in class no man’s land. At class C, 352, it is at the very bottom of its class and would take a fair amount of upgrading to reach the top.

1. 1992 Lancia Delta Integrale EVO

This car has been an underrated favorite of mine since Forza 2, and it is just as good in Forza 3. This Lancia is a sleeper. It looks like a slow economy sub-compact hatchback along the lines of the old Plymouth Horizon, but its roots are in rally racing. Its very short wheel-base and all-wheel drive give it great handling, and its high revving turbocharged engine puts out 210 horsepower, which is plenty for a car this small. Stock, it is at the top end of class E and will have no trouble winning races there. However, if you have some money to throw around, this is a car that takes to upgrades very well. I have found that it is not at all difficult to make this little car a contender in classes E through A. If you want a 400 horsepower A-class hot hatch, you can go ahead and spend 70,000 credits to turn this into one. If you do that, you will have a blast rocketing around the track and can take pride in standing out from the crowd in your insane creation.

So those are my five underrated cars in Forza 3, what are yours?

Forza Motorsport 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Jube3 @ 02/08/10 05:09 PM
Good read, Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione is an awesome car. I think its looked over because of its look, that front is love it or hate it. I think the new DLC car the lotus 2-eleven is another one of those cars that it gonna edge its way up over time. It flies like its on rails, which is awesome for a RWD car.

# 2 jrp1918 @ 02/09/10 02:11 AM
I personally love the look if the 8C and I came so close to including the 2-eleven, but I hadn't driven it until this week. But i absolutely love it, i don't know if there's a better handling car in the game. Plus, I love the open top look.

# 3 Jube3 @ 02/09/10 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1918
I personally love the look if the 8C and I came so close to including the 2-eleven, but I hadn't driven it until this week. But i absolutely love it, i don't know if there's a better handling car in the game. Plus, I love the open top look.
Yea its awesome how well it handles, it feels like its on rail at times and you can really push corners pretty dramatically. Probably my current favorite car in the game next to the S204, but my favorites change depending on what day of the week you ask me haha

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.