Home
Feature Article
Madden 11: Free Agency Making Some Teams More Intriguing

This is another article in an ongoing partnership with our friends at AskMadden.

Free agency can have a big impact on Madden. A mid-tier Madden team can go from average to the elite ranks in a hurry. Today, we look at several examples of how this year's free-agency class has already had a big impact on teams that were not that popular within the Madden community this past season.

Cromartie to the Jets

After already having a standout secondary that included Darrel Revis and Kerry Rhodes, the Jets added to that secondary by picking up Antonio Cromartie. With all three players having the ability to cover all areas of the field, the Jets now can open up the floodgates.

But since the Jets were already a blitz-happy squad, now they should just be able to turn up the heat on every down and force more turnovers. They go from a pretty good defense to a great defense by adding the right player.

Cromartie, who rose to elite status in Madden 08, defines what every Madden gamer seeks at skill positions. A blend of speed and size, Cromartie can run with anyone and out-jump the tallest of receivers.

Oh, and those Jets linebackers are not too shabby either. Be sure to send the house when using this squad.

Boldin to the Ravens

The Ravens are similar to the Jets. The problem with such teams is that, while being stacked on defense, there is little to work with on offense.

Enter Anquan Boldin. With a power running game, a trusty tight end and serviceable wide receivers, the Ravens are one speedy back from becoming the most balanced team in the game.

Boldin has the best catch in traffic rating in the game. In the ranks of Tony Gonzalez and Marques Colston, Boldin has the size and jumping ability to snatch the ball out of the air in traffic and hang onto it. With a big arm in Joe Flacco, Boldin should excel in Madden 11 by becoming a reliable target that helps to move the chains.

Peppers to Bears

Julius Peppers is a defensive end who is over 30 years of age and is on a new team. In the NFL, history has shown that could spell doom for Peppers. In Madden, however, Peppers should propel the Bears defense back into the top five.

If you are a heavy pass rusher, you now enjoy sending Harris, Peppers, Urlacher and Briggs at the quarterback. Any one of those four should take a double team to control, meaning you can send four or five at the QB and get pressure.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Bears have a serviceable running back, great tight ends, fast receivers and Jay Cutler. Since it has been easy to move the ball on offense in recent Madden games, this offense should get you enough points to win most of the time.

Vick Starting?

The Eagles have one of the fastest offenses in the game. While the defense lacks, the offense could become the new "Greatest Show on Turf."

Obviously, Michael Vick has been discussed many times over, but the reality is that Vick is one of the best quarterbacks in the game who did not start a game last year.

If the rumors about McNabb's departure become true, Vick's ratings are going to go up. Vick's speed, throw power and all-important throw on the run rating are going to blow the roof off of the QB position.

Fear will strike your opponent's heart if he sends the house and Vick takes off on a broken play. Simply put, rolling out and hitting the deep post to DeSean Jackson could be a popular play in Madden 11.

Kampman to Jags

The Jags already have a top-10 defense in Madden 10. Adding Aaron Kampman is not going to do much to improve that high ranking. The contrary, however, is how it hurts the Packers.

The Packers have one of the best defenses in the game. You can leave Woodson and Harris alone on the outside, and Bigby will take the head off of wide receivers coming over the middle of the field. Rushing Kampman forced the offense to attack one of those three in a hurry. Taking that away and filling it with a rookie in the NFL Draft will make the Packers' defense softer. With enough time to have routes develop, gamers may start to methodically pick apart the Packers.

The Jaguars can now send nasty heat on defense with Kampman rushing behind an already serviceable defensive line. If you do manage to get the ball out in time, stay away from Mathis.

So what do you think? What teams stand to gain the most in Madden from their moves this offseason so far?

Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 AgentUSA @ 03/23/10 11:27 AM
The chances of the Eagles trading McNabb aren't great. And if it does happen, Kolb will be the starter over Vick.

# 2 Bash @ 03/23/10 11:49 AM
McNabb isn't going anywhere and how the hell is the Jags D top 10 in madden? They whole D put up 14 (or 15) sacks last season and their secondary isn't the greatest by any means.

# 3 LBzrule @ 03/23/10 12:12 PM
If Donny Moore does Ray Rice and the OL justice, the Ravens will be tough to deal with.

# 4 dougdeuce @ 03/23/10 12:19 PM
"
The Packers have one of the best defenses in the game. You can leave Woodson and Harris alone on the outside, and Bigby will take the head off of wide receivers coming over the middle of the field. Rushing Kampman forced the offense to attack one of those three in a hurry. Taking that away and filling it with a rookie in the NFL Draft will make the Packers' defense softer. With enough time to have routes develop, gamers may start to methodically pick apart the Packers."

Kampman wasn't even a small part of the team last year. The Packers success at D had nothing to do with him as they were transitioning away from him anyway. He struggled mightily at OLB and didn't fit in the 3-4. The packers are now better off without him, and are at no risk of being "Picked apart" because of his departure....

# 5 distauma @ 03/23/10 01:30 PM
Kerry Rhodes was traded... the Jets corner position is stout but the safety position is still a big question mark.

# 6 coachlenny @ 03/23/10 02:29 PM
go bears

# 7 monkeybutlerz @ 03/23/10 03:32 PM
I think the Ravens are fine at RB with Ray Rice....

Also, Kherry Rhodes is not a Jet.

# 8 DustinT @ 03/23/10 03:57 PM
Rhodes isn't a Jet and the Ravens already have a speedy back...

# 9 stlstudios189 @ 03/23/10 05:51 PM
Brady Quinn to the Broncoes baby.

# 10 Bellsprout @ 03/23/10 05:53 PM
Ironic that losing Kampman hurts the Packers in Madden while it actually helped them in real life.

# 11 lolfalconsbeatu @ 03/23/10 06:18 PM
WHAT ABOUT ATLANTA AND DUNTA ROBINSON!!!!

lol...I'm just playin, but yeah this madden '11 is gon' be fun

# 12 SouthernBrick @ 03/23/10 11:36 PM
More than likely Cromartie to the Jets will make the most gain from this in madden that is. Real life may be a different story. I hope he does well enough to get SD a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cromartie be nothing but, average which would give SD a 3rd rounder. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see him rise to stardom again with the number one defense in the league backing him up and revis playing opposite him.

Only time will tell. I think Boldin would be in front of Cromartie in real life in terms of gaining something but, on madden I would probably take Cromartie If Its on the Jets defense. When I was Cromartie making a tackle in the game...well lets just say Its a very good representation of him from his real life counter part.

# 13 dmick4324 @ 03/23/10 11:46 PM
Am I the only Jet fan that isn't happy about getting Cromartie? I can't see myself rooting for him let alone playing as him in Madden. The Packers are a great team to play as in Madden even if they lost Kampman.

# 14 SouthernBrick @ 03/24/10 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmick4324
Am I the only Jet fan that isn't happy about getting Cromartie? I can't see myself rooting for him let alone playing as him in Madden. The Packers are a great team to play as in Madden even if they lost Kampman.
Yes I believe you really are the only one. It was a pretty hot debate in the Pro Football forum a while back. I haven't seen to many Jet fans that didn't like this move If any at all. I think he'll be good for the Jets though however I think you'll still see that sorry tackling Cromartie tries to pull.

He's more of athlete than football player but, he can catch a ball pretty damn good when he's got a shot at it but, he didn't have to many last year.

# 15 statpacker8351 @ 03/24/10 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by distauma
Kerry Rhodes was traded... the Jets corner position is stout but the safety position is still a big question mark.

Brodney Poole will help. But big downgrade from Rhodes

# 16 earl_baldwin @ 03/24/10 12:43 PM
GO BEARS & DOLPHINS

# 17 FORMULA316 @ 03/24/10 01:06 PM
Quote:
if the AI goes as is or with LITTLE significant UPGRADES...All teams will be the SAME just like every year befoe it...Same with all the players.

I as well as THOUSANDS of others excell with any player and ANY team....There is LIttle differance.

Unless you a cheexe tourney player who uses exploits to gain any type of edge that is....Then the team you pick actually matters.
Wholeheartedly agree. With all do respect, there is absolutely nothing
intriguing about the NFL's current Free agent carousel, and the next iteration
of Madden. Asides from colour scheme's, Madden is basically a boiler plate
of 32 teams with similar characteristics. Unless of course you have a speed
laden quarterback in Mike Vick, its the same game year after year.

# 18 WG5516 @ 03/24/10 03:03 PM
What I want to know is, will there be a salary cap in the game and how will all of the CBA stuff affect this years game?

# 19 cdpig @ 03/24/10 03:43 PM
McNabb is being shopped for a 2nd round pick currently (watch for Rams and Browns) problem is Kolb is the 2nd QB on the depth chart, with Vick still just being a gimick for the Eagles.

# 20 dmick4324 @ 03/24/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Yes I believe you really are the only one. It was a pretty hot debate in the Pro Football forum a while back. I haven't seen to many Jet fans that didn't like this move If any at all. I think he'll be good for the Jets though however I think you'll still see that sorry tackling Cromartie tries to pull.

He's more of athlete than football player but, he can catch a ball pretty damn good when he's got a shot at it but, he didn't have to many last year.
Lol I was talking more along the lines of the 10 or so women he got pregnant. I know it might seem like I'm high up on my horse but a scumbags a scumbag and Cromartie fits the bill.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.