Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K11 at E3: The Death of Isomotion

In a closed-door session, we got our first look at NBA2K11 earlier today at E3. Walking Chase Becotte and myself through the very brief demo was NBA2K11 producer, Eric Boenisch. The major announcement is the removal of Isomotion controls. Although a becoming staple in the series and a well-received feature, the NBA2K11 team felt Isomotion was too limited. However, there’s no word just yet on what new dribbling scheme will take its place in NBA2K11.

We also got a look at the game in action with a matchup of the NBA finalists. The first thing that stood out was the revamped presentation as you now see players getting off their team buses pre-game all decked out in suits. We didn’t get to see the Heat so no word on whether Dwyane Wade will be sporting his bow-tie look. As Eric described, a main goal of this year’s game will be to polish the overall look and feel for NBA2K11. Although still in production, player models look more unique, legs don’t seem as large as before and arm length is more appropriate to the player’s body size. I do think heads looked slightly bigger though. As for gameplay, the little of it we saw showed off new animations. One I particularly liked was Kevin Garnett almost going out-of-bounds while trying to receive a tough Rondo pass.

Like the control-scheme, we were also told online play will see a big overhaul in NBA2K11. Eric couldn’t get into further details, but he assured us there’s a lot of good things in store for online players in NBA2K11.

That’s it for now, do you think it was time for to lay Isomotion to rest? And what sort of dribbling mechanism will be introduced to the series to NBA2K11?

Follow me @mrsimcity and @operationsports for more day-by-day E3 updates.

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Saijahn @ 06/16/10 07:36 AM
Do sports game publishers get together each year and say, let's all do this? Pregame sounds like the Madden 11 Pregame, lol. Anyways I'm not sure about the isomotion removal, I enjoy ISO, but the freestyle movement of NBA Live was okay to me. If it's easier to do the moves then I'm all for it so it can stop people from complaining.

# 42 RoyalBoyle78 @ 06/16/10 08:47 AM
Isomotion being removed makes me very happy, never liked it.

# 43 Goffs @ 06/16/10 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
I, for one, think the shot stick is a great tool and hope it never gets removed.
i hope not! though i would like to see it evolve...to what i have no idea...

# 44 youvalss @ 06/16/10 09:51 AM
To all of those who don't like the shot stick - you can always use a button. I don't understand why people who never got used to it keep complaining about it...

# 45 youngfaze01 @ 06/16/10 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
To all of those who don't like the shot stick - you can always use a button. I don't understand why people who never got used to it keep complaining about it...
I agree with you, but some people feel like the shot stick isn't necessary, and should be replaced with Live's dribbling/crossover control.
I will always love the shot stick, but I'm leaving it in 2k's hands to find some alternative w/o getting rid of it.

# 46 youvalss @ 06/16/10 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfaze01
I agree with you, but some people feel like the shot stick isn't necessary, and should be replaced with Live's dribbling/crossover control.
I will always love the shot stick, but I'm leaving it in 2k's hands to find some alternative w/o getting rid of it.
I'm not saying the Isomotion was perfect. but I'm saying those who want Live's control scheme - want Live. I actually had a hard time when I went back to play Live 05 with the right stick for dribbles. So should I scream that the right stick dribble control isn't necessary? Each game has its own scheme - for good or bad. I do want 2K to make the controls the best it can be, but I don't want the games to be twins.

# 47 theskinsfan1000 @ 06/16/10 10:11 AM
Hey, St Matthew-Daniel, if you can, can you post a video of the game if you get a chance? Thanks.

# 48 jeebs9 @ 06/16/10 10:24 AM
No isomotion.....SMH...

"No comment"...

# 49 Joka2122 @ 06/16/10 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I'm not saying the Isomotion was perfect. but I'm saying those who want Live's control scheme - want Live. I actually had a hard time when I went back to play Live 05 with the right stick for dribbles. So should I scream that the right stick dribble control isn't necessary? Each game has its own scheme - for good or bad. I do want 2K to make the controls the best it can be, but I don't want the games to be twins.

It definately won't make the GAME a twin just by having dribbling scheme set at the R stick. You are somewhat contradicting yourself as you've stated that you wanted 2k to make the best controls the best it can be. With that in mind, if the best it can be is what live has then i'm all for it. It definately captures true to life basketball. IMO, lets overhall ISO and go with a more true to life scheme. If it's Live's lets get that into the game to make 2k the best game overall.

# 50 youvalss @ 06/16/10 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joka2122
[/b]

It definately won't make the GAME a twin just by having dribbling scheme set at the R stick. You are somewhat contradicting yourself as you've stated that you wanted 2k to make the best controls the best it can be. With that in mind, if the best it can be is what live has then i'm all for it. It definately captures true to life basketball. IMO, lets overhall ISO and go with a more true to life scheme. If it's Live's lets get that into the game to make 2k the best game overall.
I don't think Live's is the best, personally I don't like it. If 2K can get better controls without assigning it to the rights stick, I'm fine with that.

# 51 jeebs9 @ 06/16/10 10:33 AM
Guys...I'm shocked....I might make 2k10 a little long then I thought...SMH

# 52 TheKasmar @ 06/16/10 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xs7mt5u7m4

Here's a video I captured that shows what was wrong with isomotion. It wasn't an organic control scheme and it was becoming far too scripted. Look how bibby's cross was stopped by an invisible forcefield.

This alone shows how badly 2K11 needed a change in this specific area of the game.

Great post. That video is a perfect example of the invisible forcefield that doesnt allow for simple movement when trying to do simple isomotion moves. So many times I want to spin left or right but the invisible forcefield wont allow it.

Isomotion moves arent just about the offense player. In 2k10 they paralyze the defensive player and make him incapable of even laying a hand on the offensive player. The behind-the-back dribble is my go to move in 2k10 but, what is does to the defense, regardless of defender, makes the move kind of cheap.

In this video my behind-the-back dribble goes right through the defender.

http://community.2ksports.com/commun...ediaid=1711075

So, yes I can perform some of the isomotion moves but sometimes execution winds up being ineffective(invisible forcefields) or too effective(morphing right through the defender).

# 53 BDM313 @ 06/16/10 11:34 AM
Good Read....Hopefully The Players Are A Bit Bigger But From The Screenshots Kinda Reminds Me Of 2K7 And Court Spacing Is Tuned Up Mainly In The Paint And Out Of Bounds Area We Will Indeed See Sounds Good Tho

# 54 WTF @ 06/16/10 11:38 AM
If they'd go back to the feel of isomotion from games past, like 2k7 and 2k8, then I would be a happy camper. The responsiveness that you felt from those games was excellent, and those are the last games that I felt "in control" of what I wanted to do with the rock.

There was no question on what I was going to perform, I made the movement on the L stick, and the right move was performed. It feels like all of that has been lost the past couple of renditions, and has went for more of a "press certain button combo's" and watch move play out.

Hopefully they can just take it back to the old responsive way of handling the rock. I just want an intuitive system that is responsive. Not a lot to ask for. Make it happen 2k.

# 55 23 @ 06/16/10 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
If they'd go back to the feel of isomotion from games past, like 2k7 and 2k8, then I would be a happy camper. The responsiveness that you felt from those games was excellent, and those are the last games that I felt "in control" of what I wanted to do with the rock.

There was no question on what I was going to perform, I made the movement on the L stick, and the right move was performed. It feels like all of that has been lost the past couple of renditions, and has went for more of a "press certain button combo's" and watch move play out.

Hopefully they can just take it back to the old responsive way of handling the rock. I just want an intuitive system that is responsive. Not a lot to ask for. Make it happen 2k.

100% agree

# 56 SacKings1999 @ 06/16/10 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

Great post- 100% agree. That should be 2k's biggest concern- making it responsive.

As someone said a few posts up, even with 2k10's Isomotion you can still go behind the back 24/7, so how would an "easier" system, like Live's for example, make cheesing worse? Really people, please stop prioritizing "anti-cheese-measurements" above crisp controls.

I play Live online quite a bit, and I've never once seen any rampant RS cheese. And if someone does... it results in a turnover, or double team is there to force a bad shot.

# 57 Da_Czar @ 06/16/10 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

100% agreement ! if that happens it doesn't matter what they call it. it could be shocksomotion. It won't matter... hell keep the name as long as we have more control.

# 58 Kaanyr Vhok @ 06/16/10 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
Don't you want more user control? In case you hadn't noticed, this is a video game, yes we want sim but we also want it to be fun, iso wasn't fun to control. I found it tedious.

2k10's isomotion had good timing. You had to set moves up. Thats a good thing. That worked. It was also accurate. I normally got what I wanted. My issue was that it wasn't balanced. There still wasn't enough fumbles and picked up dribbles. Some isomotion moves, moved the defender automatically. That was the main issue I had.

I would not mind seeing it mapped to the right stick if we can keep the shot stick. Really I think changes have to start with the defense.

# 59 BroMontana82 @ 06/16/10 12:49 PM
keeping the shot stick is a must. would it work if both were mapped to the right stick but holding the L Trigger was for dribbling and if you don't then you're using the shot sick? click the left stick for manually posting up?

# 60 texbuk84 @ 06/16/10 12:54 PM
great first day buy for me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.