Home
Feature Article
NBA Elite 11, NBA Jam Impressions from New York

What's happening family? It's your friendly neighborhood Czar coming at you from New York City. EA invited Czar out to the Change the Game event at the Cellar Bar in the Bryant Park Hotel. At this event, the NBA was well represented by the the new cover athlete Kevin Durant, as well as Steph Curry, John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins.

With an open bar and 9th Wonder on the turntables, the mood could not have been better for a video game enthusiast to get a first look at NBA Elite 11. In a show of raw professionalism and sheer strength of will, Czar avoided the bar until both NBA Jam and NBA Elite 11 could be properly examined.

Now, if the crowd reaction at the event was any indication, then EA may have knocked one out of the park with NBA Jam. Everyone who played Jam enjoyed it. I can easily see Jam as the centerpiece of any gamer's Wii arsenal. The development team stayed very true to the original while offering a few new modes and enhancements that others are sure to enjoy as well. For those who want classic controls, you can also play without the gestures and go completely old school by just using the controller.

Obviously, I was also very eager to finally get my hands on Elite 11. Yaw, an EA community manager, gave me a brief walkthrough on the basics, and executive producer Brent Nielson was kind enough to spend an hour or so going through the game and showing me some of the more advanced moves while answering a few questions.

When I first jumped on the sticks, I was absolutely horrible...

Horrid.

Frightful.

Brent had a good laugh as I launched airball after airball at the rim. However, I let him know that his barbs would be returned in kind as soon as I was more familiar with the controls. The point here is that NBA Elite 11 is a new take on an old story. There will be an adjustment period, especially for seasoned gamers who may be more familiar with other right-stick shooting mechanics.

Knowing my own reservations and those of the Sim Nation, I wasted no time inquiring about the hurdles present to restrict Wisconsin's finest (cheesers) from making a mockery out of what was developed to be a very sim control scheme. Many sim fans worldwide will be relieved to know that this is something the development team is aware of and intent on stopping.

To really understand how shooting works in Elite 11, you have to understand the core pillar of the team's gameplay philosophy this year, and that is, user skill determines the outcomes. While that may create a discord among those hoping the integrity of the game is not sacrificed, others feel this is a long overdue addition to what EA perceives to be a stale genre.

It has been pointed out on numerous occasions that you shoot the ball in Elite 11 by pushing up on the right stick. The skill part of the equation is releasing the stick at the top of the jump while making sure you push the right stick straight up. In the one-on-one practice mode, there is a meter on the right side of the screen that allows you to see the perfect release point, and it also allows you to see if your right stick is straight up or slightly left or right of the intended mark. If you release on time and within your sweet spot for left to right movement, you should end up with a good result. In fact, if you had a perfect release in the one-on-one game I played, the ball went in every time.

As I understand it, ratings determine how big of a sweet spot each player has during the shooting motion. This sweet spot will also be affected by difficulty level and defensive presence. So just like in real life, your wide-open shots should be easier for you to make, but if you are being closely guarded by a good defender with good defensive ratings, his pressure will change your sweet spot (As opposed to having an effect on your percentage). Basically, that means hitting a pressured shot will require more skill on your part. This whole breakdown rewards the great skill of the player shooting the ball, and it is reinforced by the ratings. In addition, a player like Kobe will have a greater sweet spot under pressure than a player like Joakim Noah.

One area that I have not seen much written about is the rebounding. Quite on accident another user and I discovered that by pressing up on the right stick to initiate a rebound you could still influence your player's direction with the left stick. We tested this by trying to jump in the wrong direction with the left stick, and we witnessed the rebounder reach back to attempt to grab the rebound. However, I have no idea if this is the way rebounding will work in the final game. But I can say that is was nice to see, and it fit well within their player control philosophy.

All that being said, I now have to say that the control offered in Elite 11 is not a marketing gimmick of any kind. Elite 11 is a game that will reward those who spend the extra time in practice getting more familiar with the controls. After some time on the sticks, your mind starts to grasp the left-stick body and right-stick hands connection, and that is when the game's controls really begin to shine.

One of the drawbacks to having so much control is that the movement of the game can, at times, look a bit erratic because there is nothing linking the offense to the defense. So while the control is amazing, there can be instances where it does not quite look like basketball we are accustomed to seeing. More than any other title, the skill of the people holding the sticks can have a huge influence on how the action is presented in videos of the game.

There are numerous scenarios that can play out when you give users this much control. One of those scenarios involves two experts on the sticks having some potentially epic battles. However, any mismatch in skill sets could produce some of the most lopsided victories known to the digital basketball world. As such, there is no safety net to assist you. If you can not defend and your opponent executes perfectly, it is basically a Cobra Kai situation: strike first, strike hard, no mercy sir!

There are some gamers who will be elated by this. Others may not be too thrilled. At this point one thing is for certain, it is a very bold and assertive move on the part of EA. I applaud the developers for having the stones to set their own course and still build upon the foundation of Live 10's AI. I can only hope they stay responsive to the community as we find out the perils and rewards that may await us all with this new system.

Here is to hoping their execution matches their intentions. If so, 2011 could be a very good year for Elite 11.

NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TalenT @ 06/25/10 11:48 AM
I'm actually impressed by Elite. I'm just a little afraid that there's a little TOO much control. I think you HAVE to have some two player animations to keep a realistic appearance. I hope they find that balance because from what I've seen/heard thus far...things are shaping up.

# 2 econoodle @ 06/25/10 11:50 AM
bold and assertive is right.
if this new control scheme paysoff as its being sold and promoted it will revolutionize the hoops gaming industry and push Elite to the forefront as 2k did years ago.
now granted, the gameplay has to be on par as well, so a lot needs to go right.
but, these are the chances u take, and Ea was in a position to take it.
low risk/high reward.

good to see Da Czar be like George and Weezie and 'moving on up'.

# 3 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz3v3ry504
Soo....did the controls actually feel like u were playing basketball...i mean i understand that u have control over everything but is it the type of control and moves that a basketball player would make in real life?
Whats up mz3v3 ?

Do you mean how the moves appear visually ?or how do the moves feel on the controller ? The control scheme is real intuitive. It makes a lot of sense and is fairly easy to pick up.

# 4 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
I'm actually impressed by Elite. I'm just a little afraid that there's a little TOO much control. I think you HAVE to have some two player animations to keep a realistic appearance. I hope they find that balance because from what I've seen/heard thus far...things are shaping up.
That is the thing TalenT once you give all that control its up to the users.... So the game can look brilliant and then terrible depending on who your watching and this is without including the fact that its an early build and not everything is added and turned on. So outside of the normal warts you would have looking at an early game you can have the game look really good or really bad.

I actually took some video but it would be unfair to the Elite 11 crew to show because its not a good representation of the game, since the guys playing were new to the control.

and who knows how this will come together in 5 on 5 ? that is the real key. Because honestly last year live already had much better control than 2k. So for me its the implementation of these controls into the 5 v 5 that will tell the real story for most here. After the control becomes second nature how will the game hold up ? I think that is a fair question that most of us will have to wait until the demo to see.

# 5 RayDog253 @ 06/25/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
As I understand it, ratings determine how big of a sweet spot each player has during the shooting motion. This sweet spot will also be affected by difficulty level and defensive presence. So just like in real life, your wide-open shots should be easier for you to make, but if you are being closely guarded by a good defender with good defensive ratings, his pressure will change your sweet spot (As opposed to having an effect on your percentage). Basically, that means hitting a pressured shot will require more skill on your part. This whole breakdown rewards the great skill of the player shooting the ball, and it is reinforced by the ratings. In addition, a player like Kobe will have a greater sweet spot under pressure than a player like Joakim Noah.
This.
October can't come any faster, or september for the demo. can't wait to try this game.

# 6 Da-Man @ 06/25/10 02:52 PM
Hey Czar was there a modifier for dunking and did you get to try out the post moves?... if so whats your take on it compared to anything you've played before?

# 7 NoTiCe_O @ 06/25/10 03:06 PM
I for one like the idea of user skill determining everything in the game .. I feel like that's what games should be about. I'm gonna give this game a chance because i like where its going. I like the fact that if i put in the work i can be one of the best to play this game, that's cool to me and i like the challenge.

Hey, if you don't like the challenge you can always go play the other basketball sim out. I just like the fact that the game isn't being DUMBED DOWN like alot of games today, they bringing skill, hand eye coordination, and basketball I.Q back into videogames.. and thats What's up

# 8 Stumbleweed @ 06/25/10 03:13 PM
It's about time Da Czar is an offical part of the OS staff... good stuff. Looking forward to more info about this game.

Czar, does shooting feel natural once you get used to it? Are all those beautiful leaners in the game again where you can just hold L in a direction and shoot while drifting to the side? Did the release point or timing change according to the type of shot (fadeaway, drifting shot, pull-up, standing jumper)?

Any comments on the Euro Step mechanic? Sounds pretty interesting and seems like it will produce some ridiculous highlights when combined with Freestyle Passing and the ability to change shots while in the air... can't wait to get my Wade on.

# 9 jordankobewade7 @ 06/25/10 03:48 PM
Idk...but personally it felt like the release point on many of the jumpers in live10 were waaaayyyyy too late,almost like the player is on their way down...is it me?or has anyone else noticed this?I hope they fix it to where the release point is more accurate to the apex of the jump.this makes it so hard to learn jumpers on the fly,bcuz the release point on a lot of the jumpers don't feel like its at the apex of the jump.hopefully they tune the release points and make them at the apex of the jump on the players that should have this,since they seem to have done so well with the shooting mechanics thus far.
Can't wait to try this out! Thx for the insight czar,the game sounds like a day one purchase,and hopefully that holds thru as more info is released.

# 10 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 04:04 PM
[quote=mz3v3ry504;2041229173]Hey! but yeh i meant how do they feel on the controller. Does it make your hands cramp up after a while like fight night or is it more of a flick of the analog stick? QUOTE]

It feels really good doesn't take a whole lot of pressure so its not that bad on the fingers at least for the few hours I was playing. The moves make sense The hesitation spin is going to be a crowd favorite so be prepared to defend it. It will take a few minutes to get used to. Took me about 20-25 but consider the atmosphere as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
Hey Czar was there a modifier for dunking and did you get to try out the post moves?... if so whats your take on it compared to anything you've played before?
There is no modifier for the dunks I can already see definitively where the two games spilt philosophically on that part of the control. You just go at the rim and press up from what I remember and its a dunk. Or you can twirl right or left for layups on either side. You can also twirl left for a layup on that side then tap it back right to finish with the right hand on the left side. Its really ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
It's about time Da Czar is an offical part of the OS staff... good stuff. Looking forward to more info about this game.

Czar, does shooting feel natural once you get used to it? Are all those beautiful leaners in the game again where you can just hold L in a direction and shoot while drifting to the side? Did the release point or timing change according to the type of shot (fadeaway, drifting shot, pull-up, standing jumper)?

Any comments on the Euro Step mechanic? Sounds pretty interesting and seems like it will produce some ridiculous highlights when combined with Freestyle Passing and the ability to change shots while in the air... can't wait to get my Wade on.
Thanks Stumble much appreciated. To be honest I really, really need more time to get deep into the controls on this game. I am certain any of the community guys can answer that spent a bit more time with the game.

Shooting definitely starts to feel natural but what happened to me was my idea of straight up was not in line with the controller. That is what took the longest to adjust. A great thing I somehow left out of the article is that the jumpshot animation is tied to the distance meter. So that you actually start to get a feel for a guys release just by watching him. So once you get the left right staightened out you really get into a flow.

I asked and they said guys with quicker releases would also be reflected in a quicker release and shooting meter. So again it looks like practice will definitely pay off.

Release point question is a darn good one man. I didn't really notice I will definitley check that out but I'm sure someone else may have a definite answer for that. I did perform a few lean forward leaners that looked pretty descent.

Once the demo drops you will see that it going to take some getting used to before you can even really evaluate the game well. Or at least for me anyway. I really need some quiet time with it to get a really really good feel for it.

But Yes the jumpers felt really good after you get a feel for it. As the night wore on though I was pretty much money with Durant so that is one of my concerns about perfect shot's going in 100 % of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Boii
good right up. but you must be excited czar.i mean last year you were all about strategic control. and this takes it a step further. how do you feel bout that?
It's really hard to say until I get to see it in 5 on 5. In theory and in 1 on 1 it's the business. Like I said though its the implementation that is going to be the thing. I think Elite has forever changed how basketball games control. The real question is now that pandora's box is opened will we want to close it , modify it, or open it up some more.

Every once in awhile a company comes out with a feature that has to be accounted for by everyone else. I felt like right stick shooting was one of those. Live's playcalling system was one of those and this control system is one of those. Its just up to how each game decides to implement.

Right now its looking like gamers will be able to choose based on their preference and THAT is awesome ! We have never seen both companies at the top of their game going at it. If not this year then definitely next year.

But the control is the BUSINESS !!!

OH Stumble I forgot man having control of the Euro's is very very nice....LOL

# 11 Jano @ 06/25/10 04:16 PM
Hey Czar, glad to see that you're on the OS staff its a great thing to see hope it turns out well for you.

So my question is concerning the shot release, did the shooting window become smaller when you were defended or on the move? And if it did, did it have any kind of effect on your shooting in a negative way?

I'm sure this is something that will be tuned as the game gets closer to release but as of right now did it seem too easy to make shots?

# 12 videobastard @ 06/25/10 04:34 PM
Im usually laid back on the couch holding my controller at all types of angles. It sounds like im going to have to have a proper posture holding the controller straight in order to line up the shooting with the analog going up. Dont want my shots being all left or right lol

# 13 gtm @ 06/25/10 04:36 PM
I'll be the dummy and ask this question first. Will you be able to play cpu/cpu?

# 14 headsteez @ 06/25/10 05:16 PM
"If you release on time and within your sweet spot for left to right movement, you should end up with a good result. In fact, if you had a perfect release in the one-on-one game I played, the ball went in every time."

Maybe its just me but I don't like this at all. There is someone out there who is going to find Lebron or Kobe's sweet spot and always hit. I know other things will factor in weather the shot will fall or not but that shooting mechanic may make it to easy to be successful once u find their spot. You never make all your shots ever! Even Ray Allen misses and his form is great. This is where the dice roll may make things more sim because it factors in percentages. Someone online will shoot 100% before the year is out. And y'all thought Mo Williams was bad wait till Rondo looks like God in the flesh.

# 15 Nephilim @ 06/25/10 05:28 PM
nope headsteez, you can narrow the sweet spot with good D, So I think (hope) this will not be a problem.

# 16 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Hey Czar, glad to see that you're on the OS staff its a great thing to see hope it turns out well for you.

So my question is concerning the shot release, did the shooting window become smaller when you were defended or on the move? And if it did, did it have any kind of effect on your shooting in a negative way?

I'm sure this is something that will be tuned as the game gets closer to release but as of right now did it seem too easy to make shots?
Thank you Jano ! I don't believe this was on or in the build I played. I certainly asked about it and the response I received was exactly what I typed. As I said I made clear this was a concern of myself and a good bit of the Nation. They believe they can find a good balance between user defense and difficulty level.

This is the great unknown. Because by the end of the night my jumper with durant was nice. But again that was one player remembering the exact release for 5-12 players may itself add more difficulty. If your skilled enough however the ball will go in. Even more so If the person your playing can not play defense... So like I said were really going to have to wait and see how this plays out and what design decisions they go with.

I am not so sure this will work for basketball. I am very interested to see the results. Some sports like baseball and I think basketball it can be a bad idea for a guy to bat 1,000 regardless of his skill. But the game is NOT finished and everything is not in so there is no way to tell.

It will definitely take some getting used to. There is no getting around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm
I'll be the dummy and ask this question first. Will you be able to play cpu/cpu?
Not at all gtm I don't think anyone has asked that actually. Unfortunately I don't happen to have an answer myself although I can't imagine a game being shipped without the ability to watch cpu vs cpu games...

# 17 TUSS11 @ 06/25/10 05:41 PM
When dribbling, does the ball switch hands automatically or is it all user-dependent? If I've got the ball in my right hand and I drive left, will the game switch hands for me or will the ball stay in the player's right hand until I switches hands manually?

# 18 Jano @ 06/25/10 05:48 PM
Thanks for the response Czar and I agree its definitely something only time will be able to reveal.

But one thing I do like is inexperienced or lazy users will be punished by those that take the time to learn the game.

I'm really liking how user skill is goin to effect many areas of the gameplay so finally I may be rewarded for practicing on both offense and defense. This should also make the guys with bball knowledge that much better b/c they will know where each player can be used effectively.

So the days of guys trying to dribble with just anybody can be gone b/c a smart defender will eat up those guys. If the implementation comes correct in Elite users will definitely be forced to play to that players strengths.

And that's something I know we have all been waiting on..

# 19 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
Does the sweet spot change if you're doing a runner/fadeaway or in the post? Such as, running with full momentum and/or heaving a shot? Anything but spotting and lining up a shot.
Great question Mr. jordanjr. I wasn't able to tell. Again a few hours isn't nearly enough time for me to get immersed in the control. Maybe one of the community day guys can answer. One thing of note is that your always mentally engaged when playing since nothing is really done for you. So It can be hard to "think" of things to try and look into unless you have a list available at the time.

As I know you have can have high expectations and a low tolerance for BS in your games....I would caution you not to set the bar too too high about what the system can or can't do in it's first year and thereby be pleasantly suprised by what it does offer. They are doing a lot but they may not get it all they way there this year (Pure speculation on my part).

The plan as I understood it is to build from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
When dribbling, does the ball switch hands automatically or is it all user-dependent? If I've got the ball in my right hand and I drive left, will the game switch hands for me or will the ball stay in the player's right hand until I switches hands manually?
Everything is user controlled so if you launch right with the ball in the left hand its up to you to switch hands or the ball will be exposed. Truthfully depending on the move your doing that can be a pain sometimes as a basketball player that is something you would do naturally so to think about it on occassion can seem bothersome but... that is one of the benefits of control so who knows after a day or two if might become second nature.

# 20 Da_Czar @ 06/25/10 06:43 PM
Ahhh ! I think someone asked about the post game. My apologies for not mentioning that. It is a manual post up and you can post up or turn your back anywhere on the floor.

I would really prefer not to compare it to anything for now as it wouldn't be a fair comparison. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than last year for live 10 though. Shoulder fakes to each side and no suction that I saw going into the post up. But again very small sample size and I didn't get to run through all the moves since it kind of one on one so.

Pared pull off some nice post stuff though that the community day family had added while they were up there checking out the game.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.