Home
Feature Article
Dump' N' Cheese: And why I grew to love EASHL

Hello everyone, my name is Juha Leskinen and I am addicted to ice hockey.

It all started with EA's NHL 94 and the Quebec Nordiques, which was the team I played with the most. Joe Sakic's wrist shot became famous way before any of us had seen his shot in an actual NHL game on television. I am from Finland, you see, so hockey on television was limited to world championships and the Finnish league.

For years, NHL to us was a video game rather than a real sport. The only place where we saw NHL players was in the video clips in the game. But we still got to know the teams, the players and the history of this fine league from magazines and sports news.

A couple of years after we started playing the games, Finnish television started broadcasting NHL games, mostly because Teemu Selänne had broken the rookie scoring record, and Jari Kurri had become a living legend playing alongside Wayne Gretzky.

At this point, I also began to watch the Colorado Avalanche, the former Nordiques, when they had Cup-winning potential. And during this time, I finally saw Sakic shoot a wrister that went through the net -- the stats in the game were right about his wicked shot.

The point is, I guess I fell for hockey because it is an honest sport. Physical and direct. A team sport where individuals can make a difference. And the speed of it, wow.

In the NHL, players rarely fake anything, and the occasional diver quickly gets a bad rep. You do not fake injuries, you play through them. Simply put, there is a respect for the game.

However, this type of respect does not always translate to the virtual hockey rink. People who are not true to the sport hurt the on-ice experience. People who abuse the code, cheat and cheese their way to the top of the leaderboards hurt the online experience. I simply cannot understand why they do it -- it cannot possibly be fun always playing the game that way. And the only award for doing so is achieving something that means so little (virtual notoriety).

Nevertheless, NHL 10 is beautiful on its own. And like all things beautiful, it does have its flaws. But if you wish to play realistic hockey with realistic tactics, it can be done. Playing in the EASHL is my favorite online-gaming experience. Six people playing together as a unit to defeat the other team. In a good game, the flow is amazing, and you can even watch it like you would a real hockey game.

But the bad games, boy do they really get under my skin. People use every trick in the book just to get a win in a video game. I'm talking about questionable tactics like excessive toe-drags, weak rebounds, wraparounds, half-spins and wall-hugging.

Fortunately, the good games outweigh the bad ones. In my club, we analyze our games, try to improve our tactics and slowly merge into a better team. We send countless e-mails dissecting our weaknesses and gently nagging each other about our bad habits on the ice. In fact, we probably spend more time talking about the game than playing it.

But in a way, that speaks even more about how special the EASHL truly can be. And on top of that, unlike during the times of NHL 94, now we talk about the real NHL in between all our talk about strategy on the virtual ice.

...Yeah, we have very tolerating girlfriends.

NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 vaderdog @ 07/06/10 07:01 PM
Good read... I'm sure my team would like to play yours LOL.

# 2 addybojangles @ 07/06/10 07:19 PM
NICE, someone who actually plays NHL 10!

Yo, Rammer, read this guy's blog, especially the fourth to last paragraph. We don't need broken sticks in NHL 11 - we need fixes for this crap you see ALL THE TIME in EASHL!

# 3 Moojenowski @ 07/06/10 07:32 PM
Very good article, great read. I've been getting back into the NHL more and more since the birth of the Minnesota Wild (I stopped paying attention after Dallas stole hockey from us and concentrated more on Gopher hockey).

# 4 Randiesel75 @ 07/06/10 09:26 PM
great read

# 5 Diehardfan @ 07/07/10 12:02 AM
Excellent read and I couldnt agree more. These guys sacrifice their dignity to have a great record playing a kid's video game. Who the hell cares? Then of course, if they still manage to lose...they disconnect. How pathetic their lives must be.

# 6 milesizdead @ 07/07/10 03:56 AM
Thanks guys!
Itīs an honor being able to write about something that consumes a lot of my free time

Iīve got a pile of games gathering dust because I end playing NHL whenever I have a moment available, EASHL is just so much fun, even with the shifty players who try to ruin our fun online

# 7 b3organ @ 07/07/10 04:07 AM
A fellow Finn agrees totally. A game without glitching opponent is a rare but an awesome experience. Even losing feels good if both teams play by the "rules".

# 8 Game4fun @ 07/07/10 05:09 AM
It's the same thing with madden. I play ranked games. I have been winning a game and all of a sudden my screen freezes. Well did you know that my opponent was in the top 100 leaderboards ( I learned that hours later) Then I'll give you one more example. What about the guy that gopes offsides 300 times and never gets kicked out because He found a way to do it. Ya there is a lot more. I have been glitched by almost all of them I bet atleast 3 times a piece probably if not more. I grew up in the US but I never played hockey or understandf it like I would want to. But the league you speak of can be a lot better then playing random people. In leagues People don't really cheat and there honest. I recommend leagues to anyone that wants to be serious about a game.

# 9 milesizdead @ 07/09/10 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenReign86
EASHL is addictive indeed. I may have to enter my self in rehab just to cure that addiction. Speaking of which your club sounds very serious and good, so if it's PS3 I would be interested in joining, I play LD, and average 1.20 PPG.
Sorry, on 360, and no, weīre not very good

Serious yes, but weīre still finding our groove as a team...

# 10 acidraindrops08 @ 07/10/10 07:03 PM
I fully agree with the wall hugging, wrap arounds, turning around so the cpu takes a slash and few others but excessive toe dragging? Weak rebounds? Half spins? Come on, that's taking it a little far. These can all be defended if you know what you're doing, the others can be but its way more taxing. The EASHL community is one of the grimiest communities out there, this is coming from a fairly highly regarded member. Me and my teammates have made it to the top playing legit, good hockey, so it can be done. Unfortunately, some take the easy and cowardly road.

# 11 milesizdead @ 07/11/10 02:49 AM
@ acidraindrops08 Obviously there are different shades of cheese, one manīs wall hugging is another manīs half spin. I didnīt rank them in any order, just listed stuff that bothers people. I play D for my club, and know all about defending against these tactics, very taxing indeed

And I am very glad to know that your team and other clean teams have made it to the top. Personally I donīt care about the rankings, I just would like to be able to play games without worrying every time someone pauses the game

# 12 Sakuraba19 @ 07/11/10 10:21 PM
play 6s. So ther'es no AI involved

It suck we got eliminated in 1st round of ea sports playoff this year.

# 13 plaidchuck @ 07/13/10 02:19 PM
It's not so much the obvious glitch moves that bother me, but the other stuff that's inherent in the game: dead-on checks that do nothing, loose pucks that magnetically find their way to the opponent's sticks, idiotic goalies that do a split glove-save randomly, etc.

# 14 milesizdead @ 07/14/10 09:23 AM
Oh yes, especially the loose pucks phenomenon.
Rather frustrating when you manage to poke a puck loose, it always ends up in the stick of another opponent

Plus lately the faceoff loop has become ridiculous, played three games of otp the other night and all of them were looped?!?

Had to take a day off from hockey yesterday...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.