Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K11: Jordan Moments and Era-Specific Playbooks

Okay so by now you have heard that Jordan will indeed be a playable character in NBA 2K11 in a new feature 2K is calling the Jordan Challenge. Each available Jordan moment has a title and goals that must be accomplished. The difficulty in performing these is greatly enhanced with all of the new gameplay-related updates 2K11 will sport this year. This is much more than just old-school rosters plugged into an already built NBA 2K11.

They went into painstaking detail to include the old-school arena floors and in some instances the actual arenas (The Forum is Alive BABY).

As a fan of the NBA in the '80s and '90s, it did something to my spirit to see Magic at the point and Worthy and Scott on the wings. But everything is taken to another level entirely when you see the red endlines and look up and notice the familiar Forum trappings.

What also adds to the experience is the fact that the announcing team has game-specific commentary, and in cases where it makes sense, they provide information on what happened in games leading up to the game you're playing for the challenge.

Since we can't talk about everything in detail yet, I know the members of the SIM Nation will be excited but reserved until they can learn if the gameplay is up to par with this new Jordan-centric mode. While it's much too early for gameplay information, I can share a small tidbit you will only find here at Operation Sports: NBA 2K11 -- with prodding from the Czar -- decided to include era-specific playbooks to support the gameplay in the Jordan Challenge mode.

So not only will Jordan physically change over the course of the mode and become more physically built and have less hair, but you will be able to watch the offense he works out of evolve as well. Jordan in '86 did not have the dominant post game he sported later in his career. The Jordan who exploded on the Knicks for his infamous double-nickle game was just coming back and was not in great shape, so the majority of his scoring was done in post-ups and 15-18 foot isolations. There are enough offensive tools to provide die-hards everything they need to accurately re-create Jordan's moments all the way down to the offense.

Before I go I will just throw this out there because I know my community: YES, you can use the classic teams in Quick Play mode while trying to stop Jordan in his tracks. Good luck!

P.S. A reliable source informed me that if you just want to take one of Jordan's Bulls teams into Association mode, it should not be a problem.

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jfsolo @ 07/22/10 07:09 PM
It just keeps getting sicker and sicker by the moment.

# 2 J-Clutch1 @ 07/22/10 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Heck yeah to this.

# 3 BiggD @ 07/22/10 07:14 PM
oh........my.....god...... 2k you have raised the bar again, i'm so frickin' excited i feel like a kid again

# 4 youvalss @ 07/22/10 07:15 PM
More...more!!!!

# 5 Goffs @ 07/22/10 07:18 PM
so the bulls get era specific playbooks...will the other classic teams have their playbooks as well?

# 6 twenty3 @ 07/22/10 07:20 PM
I like Kevin Durant...but he picked the wrong year to be on a EA NBA Game...now I hoping someone pick the Heat online this year...95-96 Bulls all day!!

# 7 Jukeman @ 07/22/10 07:20 PM
someone should be getting a check...

# 8 youvalss @ 07/22/10 07:23 PM
Easy guys, you'll get a heart attack...

# 9 NINJAK2 @ 07/22/10 07:24 PM
Hopefully these plays work and don't constantly breakdown like in 2k10. Great news.

# 10 thedude213 @ 07/22/10 07:30 PM
I wish they had put in era-specific uniforms, and not the uniform style, but the shorter shorts/tighter uniforms/etc.

This is a mod that someone made for NBA 2k10 for the PC that has all the 1992 rosters and uniforms...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be2wNrW2rGg

# 11 youvalss @ 07/22/10 07:31 PM
Shorter shorts are in the game. Not sure about tighter uniforms.

# 12 ShaneFu @ 07/22/10 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
wow....just wow!

# 13 23 @ 07/22/10 07:34 PM
and this is just the tip of the iceberg?

Im ready to play

# 14 J-Clutch1 @ 07/22/10 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
May I ask where this was confirmed ?

# 15 youvalss @ 07/22/10 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V!n$an!+y
Quote:
In a nod to authenticity, player models will sport shorter shorts than their contemporary counterparts.
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5401604

# 16 Da_Czar @ 07/22/10 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V!n$an!+y
If I qualify as a valid source then there in. If I don't for you then they are still unconfirmed.

# 17 Da_Czar @ 07/22/10 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
so the bulls get era specific playbooks...will the other classic teams have their playbooks as well?
Yes. Probably not as many but they are there.

# 18 thedude213 @ 07/22/10 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Where have you seen this? Any link that you could put up with confirmation?

# 19 youvalss @ 07/22/10 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude213
Where have you seen this? Any link that you could put up with confirmation?
Go 1 page back...

# 20 turftickler @ 07/22/10 07:48 PM
And to think I was almost sold with NBA Elite's physics-based gameplay this year. I soon realized that NBA 2k11 will be the sure shot this year after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVoLTwl-wtA

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.