Home
Feature Article
Your Decision: Where Would You Take MJ's Talents in 2K11?

NBA 2K11 Creating a Legend mode is a whole new ball game for basketball gamers both new and old. Being like MJ is something many of us have thought about in our backyards or at the playground.

Now that we will finally have the chance NBA 2K11 to control MJ's career from start to finish, where would you start Jordan’s career? In what city will His Airness take flight? Let’s look at the more interesting options and see how these current teams would fair with a young Mike in NBA 2K11.

"If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It": MJ on the Bulls

Six titles, five MVPs, 10-time scoring champion. After accomplishing those achievements and witnessing what life was like with another franchise in Washington, I’m not so sure Michael himself would want to change anything about where he began his career. I feel like most true MJ fans will stick with the default option that is Chicago. Nostalgia aside, the Bulls happen to have a very good roster that would compliment MJ’s playing style very well.

A very long perimeter trio of MJ, Rose and Deng would be a nightmare for opposing offenses while Boozer is capable of hitting mid-range jumpers like Horace Grant back in the day. Being one very good swing player away from being title contenders, I’m positive the Bulls would settle for the greatest ever to fill that void.

MJ in green? Jordan had some of his best games in Boston.

NBA 2K11 team rating prediction: 93

The Real #23: MJ on the Cavaliers

NBA 2K11 might prove to be a form of therapy for Cavs fans looking to recover from LeBron’s cold-hearted departure. Not only would they get to play with THE one who the "Chosen One" was supposed to become, but this also would present an opportunity to feel what it’s like on the winning side of a heart-wrenching buzzer-beater.

However, individual glory will be all a young Mike will bring to the current Cavaliers team. A lack of talent and athleticism around MJ will make Cleveland very similar to the Bulls during Michael’s rookie year (38-44 record).

NBA 2K11 team rating prediction: 74

Hindsight is 20/20: MJ on the Blazers

"What if the Blazers didn’t pass on Michael?" is a question that has been asked many times, and NBA 2K11 could provide the answer. However, I am not dying to find out. Since Portland passed on MJ because they already had Drexler, I won’t put MJ on the Blazers because they already have Brandon Roy -- same goes for Miami with Wade and Lakers with Kobe.

Both guys play the same spot on the floor, and Roy needs the ball in his hands to be effective, especially in the clutch -– we all know that won’t sit well with a young and ultra-competitive Michael.

NBA 2K11 team rating prediction: 82

Dropping Dimes and Double Nickels: MJ on the Knicks

Mike D’Antoni loves points, MJ loves scoring points, and despite their rivalry, Knicks fans love watching MJ score points. In this scenario, everybody wins -- MJ, the fans and the Knicks. A knockdown shooter in Danilo Gallinari, an explosive big, which MJ never got a chance to play with, in Amar’e Stoudemire and an offensive system that allows young Michael do exactly what he wants: ATTACK!

Picture a 6-foot-6 guard with Vince Carter-type athleticism (99 dunk rating), Kobe’s drive, Rajon Rondo’s hands and Dwyane Wade’s knack for the spectacular (95-plus scoring in traffic rating) all rolled into one player. Rookie Jordan is the definition of a video game player.

NBA 2K11 team rating prediction: 87

Those four choices are a couple I know a lot of people will try out when NBA 2K11 hit stores in October. Bottom line, if you grew up watching Michael Jordan but never really got the chance to play as him in a video game, then this is your shot -- shoot it. All that remains to be seen is where he goes. What team will YOU choose to use when Michael Jordan’s path to greatness begins?

TD is an Operation Sports basketball and soccer writer. Atlanta-born and Nigerian-raised, he’s also a digital media producer and video editor. You can follow him on Twitter @mrsimcity.

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ifriedrice @ 08/12/10 01:45 PM
Anyone else blocked from reading the article? It's asking me to authorize a user name and PW when I click the links.

# 2 sammy g @ 08/12/10 01:48 PM
Welcome to...Dallas, MJ!

# 3 SaltyBlackWorm @ 08/12/10 01:49 PM
phew this is a hard one, but this fall imma take MJ's Talents to South California

# 4 bigsmallwood @ 08/12/10 01:49 PM
I would place him on the Bulls or the Knicks! No South Beach Lol

# 5 youvalss @ 08/12/10 01:55 PM
Not sure if I'll play with MJ in today's game, but if I do - only with Bulls.

# 6 davidrc517 @ 08/12/10 01:59 PM
Jason Kidd, Michael Jordan, and Dirk Nowitzki. Enough said.

# 7 Jakeness23 @ 08/12/10 02:06 PM
Charlotte Bobcats!! Hopefully they'll have the current Jordan at the end of Charlotte's bench that way we can see the old man mentor his young self. I'll also probably do 1-on-1 with 80's Jordan against 90's Jordan to put my own spin on that old Gatorade commercial.

# 8 imbtyler @ 08/12/10 02:07 PM
Listen, in 1981, the Indiana Pacers traded their 1984 pick to the Portland Trailblazers for TOM OWENS, who did nothing. The first-round pick ended up being the number 1 pick overall, which was used by the Blazers to draft Sam Bowie.

So I think that I'll put him where he SHOULD have gone 24 years ago, had traded picks not been a factor. Benefactor. Ben A. Factor.

Sorry, anyway, when I get NBA 2K11, Michael Jordan will be taking his talents to the cold, bitter Midwest to join the Indiana Pacers (replacing such players as Brandon Rush, TJ Ford, and Mike Dunleavey).

Is it weak putting him on a team that has little to no current-day prominence compared to the Bulls, Blazers, Knicks, or Cavs? Maybe. But if the Pacers hadn't traded for Tom Owens, and the lottery played out the same way, #23 might have ended up retired in the rafters of Conseco Fieldhouse.

Just sayin'.
-btyler

# 9 youvalss @ 08/12/10 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
Anyone else blocked from reading the article? It's asking me to authorize a user name and PW when I click the links.
Yeah, same here.

# 10 thebesteva_22 @ 08/12/10 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy g
Welcome to...Dallas, MJ!
Yep he would be going to Dallas who had the 4th pick in that 84 draft.

# 11 benjammin237 @ 08/12/10 02:14 PM
i am thinking of putting him either on my hometown TWolves, who need some much needed help. or how about the suns? steve nash + MJ? You could also make a case for a dark horse in Milwuakee. Brandon jennings, andrew bogut, john salmons on an up and coming team and mj would take that team places. Jazz too with jefferson, williams and mj would be an offensive powerhouse.

# 12 star2121 @ 08/12/10 02:17 PM
MJ in philly o yeah

# 13 davidrc517 @ 08/12/10 02:19 PM
The Mavs have always been one athletic-slashing SG away from being dominant. Finley settled for turn around jumpers. Terry only shoots 3's. We've never had a takeover 2. Putting MJ on Dallas fixes that.

# 14 qpc123 @ 08/12/10 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
got this message also

# 15 Goffs @ 08/12/10 02:34 PM
TO THE KNICKS! too bad we can bring in some other older players as well...i would like to team up Jordan with Ewing..

ah well...Stoudemire will be fine...

# 16 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/12/10 02:40 PM
Welcome to DirtyJerz MJ!!!

# 17 Airmaxpenny1 @ 08/12/10 02:45 PM
To make it more of a challenge, I'd put him on the bobcats. I know it doesn't sound so smart but i've grown to love the bobcats in 2k10. I'd put MJ at the 2, Captain Jack at the 3, Wallace at the undersized 4 position and Tyrus at the 5. They'd be one of the most athletic teams in the league.

# 18 kgbrolic @ 08/12/10 02:46 PM
Payton, Jordan, Schempf, Kemp, Perkins.

Period.

Are you not entertained!?!?!?

# 19 Airmaxpenny1 @ 08/12/10 02:50 PM
^I didn't know you could place him on an old team?? I thought it had to be a current team in the NBA.

# 20 Goffs @ 08/12/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaxpenny1
^I didn't know you could place him on an old team?? I thought it had to be a current team in the NBA.
you cant...only current teams..

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.