Home
Feature Article
The Franchise Man: Dynasty Mode vs. Franchise Mode

There were a lot of improvements with NCAA Football 11 and Madden 11 this year. But I think we can all agree that their dynasty and franchise modes did not necessarily follow that trend.

Madden gave us literally the same Franchise mode we have seen on current-gen consoles for the past few years -- even the NCAA imported draft classes are broken.

NCAA Football seemed like it was going to make huge strides with its Dynasty mode, giving us the option to play everything online and save all stats and replays for 30 seasons. That has not panned out since it can take too long to advance through the offseasons and weeks online. Plus, you can’t receive conference invites either.

So which mode wins out this year? Well, here’s a breakdown of which mode I think is the best this year.

The Regular Season

We all like to talk about the NFL offseason or college recruiting, but we can’t forget about what it’s like to play the regular season. While it seems like something that should be simple, past games have found ways to mess up playing the regular season before.

NCAA Football immediately has an advantage over Madden in this department simply because of the in-season recruiting. I am always a little more into the regular season in a college game because each game means more and there’s more than just playing each week’s game.

However, I don’t think NCAA Football runs away with this because the recruiting can become pretty meticulous, and some have even complained of it being pointless at times. I would not be surprised if 10 years down the road in my dynasty I find myself turning on the CPU-assist options for recruiting instead of spinning the wheel of conversation topics with 35 recruits each week for about an hour.

I also find the level of gameplay for each game pretty comparable. They are different, and each has their flaws, but overall I have enjoyed them both about the same.

A Madden patch could change this ranking, but for now NCAA Football has the edge when it comes to the regular season.

Progression

I’m giving progression its own category here because it’s very important for extended modes, and both titles have a history of screwing it up.

Progression was a huge problem in NCAA Football when it was first released, but patches since then have helped calm down the problem somewhat. Nevertheless, for now in my dynasty I am redshirting almost all of my recruits, and I’m not seeing them get much better down the road. I’m pretty sure I will be relying on the freshmen that I had at the start of my dynasty to carry my team for four or five years since my new recruits won’t be near their true talent level for whatever reason.

Madden seems to be all right so far with progression. It was pretty bad in the past when players' overall ratings would not go down as they aged.

Madden's progression is basically saving the poor NCAA draft classes for now. Even the quarterbacks that come in rated in the 60s will eventually progress into the 80s if you play them enough. I can live with that.

Madden has the edge for me when it comes to progression, if only because of the low-rated recruits in NCAA Football's Dynasty mode.

The Offseason

NCAA Football has always been pretty good in the offseason department. Unfortunately, the recruiting does get old by the time the offseason roles around, and I usually have signed a lot of my recruits during the actual season.

Other than recruiting, there’s not much more to do in the offseason of NCAA Football since there is no spring game or anything like that.

There’s a little more going on with Madden. The contract negotiations and scouting for the NFL Draft are similar in function to previous Maddens, but all that can still be fun.

On top of that, the actual Draft is always fun, especially if you’re reporting your franchise and writing down every pick as it happens -- even if the CPU is clueless when making a selection.

The offseasons in each game are relatively stale, but overall I have to take Madden here because there is more to do than in NCAA Football.

Verdict

Trying not to take into account the real differences between NFL football and college football, I think both modes are passable this year and are not buzz killers over a long period of time. The jury is still out for me in terms of which game I will be playing once I get 10 years deep and beyond into one mode or the other, but for now I am going with NCAA Football.

The draft classes are really hurting Madden for me, even if it’s not killing it yet, and I’m able to deal with the hand NCAA Football dealt us this year in terms of some of the progression issues.

For the first time in three years, I also was not invited into the ACC with UCF after my first season of Dynasty mode so there is a lot out there for me to accomplish.

It’s too easy to get good fast in Madden this year, and once you win that first Super Bowl, the interest level in a franchise really plummets.

This is not yet set in stone for me though, and I look forward to seeing which mode I get the most out of as the year progresses.

Andrew Kennedy is a staff writer for OS. He lives in Orlando and is really good at watching sports and playing video games a lot. You can follow him on Twitter @akennedy41, on OS as crusaderhoops10 or at his sports blog akennedy13.wordpress.com.

Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mavfan21 @ 08/31/10 02:33 PM
If they'd fix the horrible Elusiveness and Juke ratings on the WR recruits, the depth chart issues, etc. I'd say NCAA is best.

But Madden just works better and is smoother. It doesn't take HOURS to get through a season and off season if you want to sim a year.

# 2 spfhelmiii @ 08/31/10 02:49 PM
They fixed those things. You can progress through the offseason weeks right away, without waiting 20 minutes like you have to for the regular season. And as far as simming a whole year, don't forget you can bulk sim the regular season without waiting (i.e. simming Weeks 1-7 in one fell swoop, rather than week by week).

# 3 fahrenheit @ 08/31/10 03:05 PM
I thought NCAA dynasty mode was fantastic this year after the patch. Sure the online kind of lags without conference invites and coach contacts, but you get an online website where you can write stories and you have a recap of every game you played. Its a good trade-off in my opinion.

# 4 wilson2k11 @ 08/31/10 03:29 PM
Would all be more fun if you could see progression during the season, like on the PS2 after every 4-6 weeks. Its the truth players get better during the season, they do not magically get better at the end of the season. Plus mini camp and a proper training camp for both games are needed, that you can improve your players. And I wish they had a way to make scouting more realistic, like how cool would it be on NCAA to see a recruits high school stats (all made up of course) meaning like say it played out like this. A division D school (small high school) has its best running back ever, and he racks up the most yards in the states history, yet he isn't scouted by any major colleges cause its a small high school, but you take a risk and get him easy cause no one else is looking to get him, and down the road he turns into a real gem by his 3rd or 4th year or something like that.

Instead of just having everything based off his 40yd dash time, and his 1-5 star rating. Just allow to get someone and in mini camp (mini games) you improve him, just like on the ps2 days for Madden.

Same goes for Madden, how nice would it be to see players high school and college numbers, and base it off that instead of the dumb made up potential they use. Just seems like everything gets dumbed down when its based on ratings, potential, and 1-5 stars. Maybe its asking to much I dunno.

Last but not least how about franchise mode only commentary, like what NBA2k10 does with dynamic commentary, Madden & NCAA need it. Right now I'm 45-0 with Bama on and I've won I think 3 straight National Championships, how great would it be to be in a game and say I'm losing at some point and Herb mentions how my (Alabama's) longest win streak in the country is on the line, but instead nothing ever gets said. They don't say "Bama is looking to make it 46 in a row in todays game blah blah blah..." anything would be nice, Dynamic commentary is needed so bad. To at least make it feel like your playing franchise, and not a meaningless normal game that doesn't count.

# 5 Eski33 @ 08/31/10 03:29 PM
NCAA 11's dynasty mode is awesome...The one thing I hope EA fixes is the 20-minute waiting period between steps in the OD....

# 6 spfhelmiii @ 08/31/10 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit
I thought NCAA dynasty mode was fantastic this year after the patch. Sure the online kind of lags without conference invites and coach contacts, but you get an online website where you can write stories and you have a recap of every game you played. Its a good trade-off in my opinion.
This. I'm running a single-player online dynasty, and after every game I modify the headline and by-line of the story, and update the "front-page" picture to one I uploaded. It will be awesome to run the thing for 10 seasons deep, and be able to look at my archive of games from years past, with historical players taking front and center.

# 7 Dazraz @ 08/31/10 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson2k11
Last but not least how about franchise mode only commentary, like what NBA2k10 does with dynamic commentary, Madden & NCAA need it. Right now I'm 45-0 with Bama on and I've won I think 3 straight National Championships, how great would it be to be in a game and say I'm losing at some point and Herb mentions how my (Alabama's) longest win streak in the country is on the line, but instead nothing ever gets said. They don't say "Bama is looking to make it 46 in a row in todays game blah blah blah..." anything would be nice, Dynamic commentary is needed so bad. To at least make it feel like your playing franchise, and not a meaningless normal game that doesn't count.
Absolutely. EA just can't do commentary. Every game sounds the same during the regular season irrespective of it's importance. Only at the Playoff stages are there some differences.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.