Home
Feature Article
Exclusive Interview with F1 2010 Developer Paul Jeal
Racing fans are gearing up for the North American release of F1 2010 on September 22, and OS recently had a chance to sit down with the lead producer of the game/racing sim, Paul Jeal. Paul’s experience with racing titles dates all the way back to being a game tester for Grand Prix 3. He is a huge F1 fan, but he also follows all types of racing, including the North American based Nascar circuit and the IRL. Paul was hired by Codemasters not very long after the company acquired the F1 license, and he hopes that his experience with this genre will take Codemasters and F1 2010 to heights that no F1 simulator has reached before.

Operation Sports: Paul, how are things going today?

Paul Jeal: Very well, just listening to the feedback we have been getting over the weekend from Lewis Hamilton (F1 Circuit driver), playing our game on the UK-BBC Channel. We’ve been watching these experts turn lap times against our guys, and seeing who can turn in the fastest lap times. Needless to say, there is a lot of testosterone in the room.

OS: Paul, how big was it for Codemasters to land the F1 license, and were you an active part in that?

PJ: Codemasters had already acquired the license before I joined, but I was probably one of the first three people that was hired after the license was acquired. There were a number of companies in the running, and the one thing that Formula One themselves were aware of was that the F1 games over the last 10 years haven’t quite been up to scratch. In particular, I think one of the things which worked in our favor were the previous releases of the Colin McRae, Grid and Dirt series.

OS: Since Codemasters has secured the F1 license for multiple years (3), is there a 100 percent confirmation that F1 2010 will be a yearly release?

PJ: Yeah, we have the license for three years. In 2009, we released the Wii and the PSP version. In 2010 the focus was the PS3, 360 and the PC. We are into talks already for the license in 2012, and I think there really is no reason why it can’t be a year to year release. Formula One certainly has the following, we just have to make sure that we give the gamer ample reason to buy the next year’s release. We need to make sure that we are putting real content into the game, as opposed to just implementing small updates.

OS: Obviously, every developer is under a lot of pressure to have their game hit the market. That being said, were there options or game modes that you wanted to get into this year’s title that had to wait until next year’s version.

PJ: Yeah there were. Obviously, Steve Jergens and myself had a solid outline of what we wanted in the game, but in terms of our ideas, I feel we probably already have too many in this year’s version. I think there is this public perception of "what can you do that hasn’t been done before." We had all these different ideas and innovations in terms of modes and features within the game, but we already have hardcore elements such as formation laps, safety car, correct physics, multiplayer, and yet we still have some great ideas and concepts for new modes in the 2011 version as well. I think we have a nice base to work on, and after the guys take a couple of weeks break, it will be back to working on the 2011 design.

OS: F1 2010 looks absolutely amazing in motion. Did you guys develop F1 2010 on one system and port it over, or did you develop this independently for each console and the PC?

PJ: No, we actually developed each version on its own. One of the great things about working here is that you have EGO technology. You already have the system in place to develop on whole platforms. I worked for companies before that had us develop a game on PC and port it over, but we do not do that here. Codemasters very much champions the needs of each individual platform.

Pretty boxes.

OS: Codemasters is using the EGO engine for F1 2010. What are some of the distinct advantages?

PJ: I think the main thing for us really is it’s tried and tested on the next-gen platform. You have the great visual platform to work with, you have force-feedback support. It’s just a very easy fit for us to take, and at any point we can take a look at different projects like Operation Flashpoint, and how they have implemented certain visual effects like their smoke effect. We can do the same as we mix and match and focus on the whole game aspect, and tweak it just a little bit because we are so familiar with the technology already. There is no need to totally rewrite any aspect of the program, so it was very easy for us to use EGO versus something else that we are not familiar with.

Damn you realistic weather effects.

OS: In regards to the overall physics data, track information and how it was implemented in the game, how much of a factor was Anthony Davidson (test driver - Formula One) in developing this title?

PJ: Well, I think all of the people were up to the task. I am a self-confessed F1 geek and have watched every F1 race since 1985, so there was a load of knowledge there already. With Anthony, we were able to get to the track, and have access to the teams, and the data and various bits and pieces. When it comes to implementing that data into the car though, you want it to be as accurate and truthful as possible with all the raw data that you have collected. Anthony has been able to tell us if the suspension, tires or engine doesn’t feel or sound quite right, and we have really been able to maximize the data and make sure that it’s all going in the right areas.

He also wasn’t just at the office a couple of times, he literally was in on a weekly basis and was really key to the development of the project. It was really several things like setting the car up for each circuit, and he had the ability to drive a few laps and be able to tell us what needs to be changed, whether it's suspension or break bias etc. You’re just never going to be able to pinpoint that information by yourself, so we turned to Anthony to nail that down. What may have taken us a couple of weeks to figure out, we could now do in a day or two with Anthony’s help.

Anthony Davidson, making your F1 games more awesome one lap at a time.

OS: As far as multiplayer goes for F1 2010, what were some of the areas of focus, and what types of options are there going to be for multiplayer?

PJ: Well, we knew we had to spend the majority of our time in the single-player mode trying to bring that aspect up to speed. We knew going in that the 2010 title’s primary focus wasn’t going to be on multiplayer, but we still had some very specific goals that we wanted to accomplish with the multiplayer aspect. The first was to make sure that it mirrored the single-player experience, such as the weather effects and damage model.

We also wanted to offer a variety of game modes. The first mode is a simple three-lap race. You pick the car and track and off you go.

The next mode is called Endurance Race, and that is more of a seven- or eight-lap race. If you get caught up in a wreck on that first turn of lap one, you don’t need to quit, you have a chance to turn things around. As a player, you can develop your own little pattern and style. You can choose to avoid that first-turn mayhem early on and maybe be a little more aggressive later on. You can maybe choose a different tire compound to have it last longer through the race with the idea of really looking at the bigger picture and not feeling the need to win on the first lap.

The next mode is called Online Qualification (OLO), and it really brings into play the track technology with updated track information. It really allows OLQ to become this really cool mode.

Last but not least, you have Quick Race mode. It allows the host to setup any type of race, length, weather conditions, driving aids and how many AI drivers will be allowed. As far as the AI goes, they will mirror the real drivers and their real-life traits. We have included a system called "Good day-Bad Day" where drivers can just have an off day or a great day, and they are never exactly the same from race to race.

Just making a quick stop.

OS: There are some amazing venues included in the game such as Spa, Abu Dhabi, Silverstone, etc. Out of all of tracks included in the game, what was your favorite to work on and favorite to drive? And was there one track that was more difficult to create than any of the others?

PJ: Yeah, I love Abu Dhabi, Spa, Melbourne and Montreal as well. Tracks that were slightly harder to re-create, Monaco is always a challenge, but I think we have done a fantastic job with its re-creation. Abu Dhabi was also quite a challenge as far as trying to get the atmosphere and the right lighting for the length of the race. Singapore was probably the hardest track to re-create as a night race. We had to create hundreds and hundreds of street lamps and that caused a few headaches. It would be easy to say it’s never going to rain in Singapore, but we didn’t want to do that. We wanted to create realistic weather patterns at each track and create all of the light reflections on the puddles of water that have collected, so each track really had its own challenges.

OS: Downloadable content is growing ever more popular with developers. I know you’re not a huge fan of this, but does Codemasters have any plans for DLC with this title, and if so, what are some of the possibilities going to be?

PJ: For the 2010 version, it is unlikely. We had some ideas, but it would have pulled some people off of the main project. All the ideas that we had for downloadable content are very much going to be a main focus for F1 2011. It’s all very much up to management, but we are looking at possibly some classic cars as well as some classic tracks. None of this is locked down yet as we wanted very much a full development team working on 2010, and it will [instead] be a focus for 2011.

OS: Within the development of the game Paul, how difficult was it to create the same feeling for the gamer who is going to use a controller versus a wheel. Are there distinct advantages to using one over the other?

PJ: Absolutely, that to me was very high up on the list of things that we had to get right. I remember with the Grand Prix series -- as I was watching my friends play that -- there was a sense of pride as far as the lap times around the circuit. One guy was using the G25 Logitech wheel, and one guy was using the controller. The guy using the controller couldn’t even come remotely close to matching the guy who was using the wheel, and I always thought that that was a huge flaw with the game. One of our main goals was to make sure that we could turn the same lap time with a controller as we could using a wheel. I would suggest that more people are going to play this with a controller than a wheel, so we spent quite a lot of time on that to make sure it's correct.

OS: F1 is still trying to find its way here in America, and obviously Nascar is the racing king -- with the IRL coming in a distant second. However, there are some rumors that Codemasters might be looking at acquiring the Nascar license. Is there any truth to that?

PJ: As far as I am aware, there is no truth to that rumor. From my point of view, I love all racing, including NASCAR and IRL. It would certainly be a license that I would be interested in as we could start looking at the engine, damage model and the physics of certain circuits. It would very much be a license that I would be keen to acquire, but there is nothing that I am aware of.

The interview concluded, and I thanked Paul for his time. I was absolutely amazed to hear about the amount of detail, dedication and effort that Codemasters, Paul and his team have put into this game. They seem to have given an outstanding effort in regards to creating a true F1 simulator with the inclusion of real-life physics, data, professional feedback and implementation. Of course the proof will be in the pudding come September 22 when the retail version hits store shelves. If I was a betting man though, I would put all my money on this title to come out a winner.

F1 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Kully @ 09/17/10 02:13 PM
Read about half-way before my "must get this game now" tick kicked in. Damn ADD.

Couple of days left, I'm mighty excited for it.

# 2 dshill @ 09/17/10 04:50 PM
put down a preorder today, this interview (along with the ones on F1 Fanatic) has me stoked for the game.

# 3 bhurst99 @ 09/17/10 04:57 PM
I'm looking forward to this game but that box art is awful. It's absurdly dark.

# 4 Adzs K2 @ 09/17/10 05:51 PM
Looking forward to getting this game so much man ;P

# 5 seeuatthemovies @ 09/17/10 09:35 PM
I love Codemasters racing titles so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this. The NASCAR license needs a breath of fresh air and these guys would definitely do it right and then take it to the next level. I hope they have the opportunity to bid on it and make it happen!

# 6 Sundown2600 @ 09/18/10 12:12 AM
Formula One is life. It's been a long time coming and finally a proper F1 racing game multi-platform! After all these years it seems too good to be true.

# 7 T3B0W @ 09/18/10 01:12 AM
This will be a 9 or 10 in the ratings and a sure fire winner for Codemasters.

# 8 Orange @ 09/18/10 03:55 AM
MAN! I was going to take a break from game purchases for a while. After NHL 11, and Halo Reach I was hit hard this month. Now i got to fit this in. And I am having so much fun with NHL, I have not even put Halo Reach in the tray yet.

# 9 stlstudios189 @ 09/18/10 02:34 PM
I am starting to get excited about this game. My wallet is worn out

# 10 bluengold34_OS @ 09/18/10 02:39 PM
I normally wouldn't promote games, but after sitting down and doing this interview, I could the easily tell the amount of passion and pride that Paul and Co. has put into this game.

# 11 billbonney @ 09/20/10 10:49 AM
Looks like I will be getting this game. Best deal looks like K-Mart for $45

# 12 bluengold34_OS @ 09/20/10 10:59 AM
Pc buyer's, Steam is running a special where you can pre-download it for 34.99. I already have mine ready to go, just not sure when Steam releases their games. It say's Tuesday the 21st, but is that 12:01 tonight then?

# 13 LucianoJJ @ 09/20/10 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
MAN! I was going to take a break from game purchases for a while. After NHL 11, and Halo Reach I was hit hard this month. Now i got to fit this in. And I am having so much fun with NHL, I have not even put Halo Reach in the tray yet.
I agree! F1 is yet another title to check out this September. After this and FIFA I need to take a break.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.