Home
Feature Article
NASCAR The Game 2011 Interview (Part II)

In part two of our exclusive interview with Ed Martin, Ed really helped us to understand the mindset of the developers at Eutechnyx and the direction in which the studio is heading with NASCAR 2011. (Check out part one here if you missed it.)

Operation Sports: Ed, could you talk a little bit about the multiplayer aspect of NASCAR 2011?

Ed Martin: Well, for Xbox 360 and PS3 we will have 16 players online at once who will be able to play in a variety of modes. There are private games for those just looking to race with friends, as well as public races. We have leaderboards so the very best drivers can earn the respect of the NASCAR community. We also have two-player split-screen modes across all consoles for those wanting to play with friends offline.

OS: What about the possibility of online leagues for NASCAR 2011?

EM: We currently have no official league support within the game for NASCAR The Game 2011. However, outside of the game we are already seeing a lot of websites forming leagues in preparation for the game's launch. So those looking to be part of an organized event should check out our official forums! We are looking at how to integrate league management within the game for the next version though.

OS: Will gamers who use a controller against other gamers using the wheel be missing out on anything?

EM: Naturally, a wheel will offer a more authentic experience as it's more accurate when steering and has more controls available for in-game options. However, we have worked hard to make sure people who prefer to use a controller won’t be disadvantaged.

OS: There are a lot of questions about career mode. Could you elaborate a little about this mode and what gamers have in store for them? Is there going to be a financial system to upgrade your car, or any type of R and D included in the career mode?

EM: Players will start in their garage, and most of the game will be accessed through this area. So if players want to test their car before jumping into a qualifier or race, they can do this through their garage. Customization of the car and tuning is also available, so you can really make your car truly yours! There is also something in the game called NXP, which will reward you for doing a lot of the little things the right way. An example of some these would be a clean pass, hanging in the draft properly and avoiding your rivals -- we do have an alliance and rivals system in the game. Within the interface of the game, we take all that stuff, and as you go through your garage you will see your accomplishments hanging up on display. In real life when you go to Hendricks' garage, they have a ton of stuff hanging up. But if you go to a newer team’s garage, it’s still relatively empty as that team is still being built up.

There are loads of things to unlock as you progress through your career. Sponsors will be unlocked as you hit their requirements, even Invitationals unlock as you build a name for yourself. A lot of what will determine the direction we go in the future will be determined by your readers, and fans of the sport and the game. We have received a lot of feedback from fans, but it was about what they liked or didn’t like about previous NASCAR games. Once this game is released, then we get into a situation of, "Hey, have you played NASCAR 2011? OK, what did you like, and what didn’t you like, and where would you like to see us go next?" I can’t wait until February when the game hits store shelves, and we start getting real people saying, "Yeah, that was cool, but next time we would love it if you did this." We are not just making this game for ourselves, we are making this for an awful lot of people.

OS: Are gamers looking at any type of downloadable content for the game, such as legends or classic tracks?

EM: Well, we can confirm that all the 2011 schemes will be released in an update after the game launches, for free! Beyond that we are still formulating our DLC plans for NASCAR The Game 2011.

OS: Could you confirm that there will not be a PC version?

EM: There is not going to be a PC version right now. We do own the rights to that, but there is not going to be a PC version right now.

OS: Will a driver online be able to view the race after a DNF?

EM: Unfortunately, not in this year’s title.

OS: Will there be in-game saves for people who like to do full-length races?

EM: That will also not be available in this year's title, but it is something we are working on.

It was a breath of fresh air to hear a developer understand their audience so well and be so upfront about their mindset. Obviously, the fans of the sport and the game are extremely important to Eutechnyx, and the direction the product is heading. Never will a winter seem so long to a NASCAR fan as this one will while we all wait to see the final product cross the finish line in February 2011.

NASCAR The Game 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kubankaos @ 10/27/10 04:18 PM
Good stuff.

I like they are looking into adding saves for races. Would love to do an actual full length season.

# 2 Lieutenant Dan @ 10/27/10 04:42 PM
Great stuff, thank you!!

Yes, Feb is a long wait! I wonder if this will beat GT5 to the stores? (sarcasm off).

# 3 8 @ 10/27/10 04:44 PM
can't wait!

# 4 BurghFan @ 10/27/10 04:50 PM
Looks good. It seems like they are off to a really good start considering this is the companies first foray into NASCAR.

# 5 statum71 @ 10/27/10 06:30 PM
Bummer.....Still no presentation info.

# 6 bonannogiovanni @ 10/27/10 06:30 PM
Thanks for answering my question about in-game saves, I'm glad to know they're working on it.

# 7 bhurst99 @ 10/28/10 09:58 AM
I'm not exactly sure what is going to make this game better than Nascar 09. Considering that game sells for $19.99 and this game will come out at a much higher price point, I'd like to know what is it that is going to make this game better other than a update of drivers and cars.

# 8 bluengold34_OS @ 10/28/10 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
I'm not exactly sure what is going to make this game better than Nascar 09. Considering that game sells for $19.99 and this game will come out at a much higher price point, I'd like to know what is it that is going to make this game better other than a update of drivers and cars.
I do not think that is a question that can be answered yet. Let's give them a chance to get the game out first, then we can make a judgment call from there. I think there are a lot of great idea's that Eutechnyx has, now we need to see how they were implemented.

# 9 jenglund @ 10/28/10 05:02 PM
Slightly concerned about the somewhat vague response to career...that they are looking for feedback from the community for where to take it. I certainly like when they listen to our feedback, but I'd like also like to see them incorporate a really robust career mode right from the start.

Obviously, just need to wait and see how it comes out. I do like the idea of rivals though, as long as it's not overdone.

Maybe I missed this, but are we a driver AND owner? Or do we act as just the driver and sign with owners? It would be fun to start with a small team and move up to displace Jeff Gordon on Hendricks' team.

# 10 Rules @ 10/28/10 05:24 PM
Thanks Blue for everything. Hope the move went well for you and the family.

Looking forward to February.

# 11 Perfect Zero @ 10/29/10 02:28 PM
Wow, this is looking really good so far. I hope there will be more information about the online aspect as well as presentation, but I think this will be a fun game.

# 12 bluengold34_OS @ 10/29/10 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Thanks Blue for everything. Hope the move went well for you and the family.

Looking forward to February.

Thanks Rules..........

The move went as well as a move of over 1100 miles went bro. We will be settled into the new house in the next couple of weeks(once ready) and things should be back to normal.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.