Home
Feature Article
Tennis Grudge Match - Top Spin vs. Virtua Tennis

We've been graced with two current tennis titles this spring, each with different features, functionality and focuses. Both series have been around for a while -- each is on its fourth iteration. On one side of the court is Virtua Tennis 4, an arcade-focused title that's been around since the Dreamcast. On the other side, Top Spin 4, 2K's tennis sim and remnant of the XSN Sports brand. Who's on top?

Atmosphere and Presentation

Caley: I give the edge here to Top Spin, though I think it's closer than one might expect. Both games feature some nice camera work, good replays, ambient and varied crowds and effective graphics. Top Spin just looks more like a TV broadcast, and I love the little stat windows that pop up occasionally. I also really like how the crowd and announcers change in volume and intensity based on the locale of the event.

Winner: Top Spin

Dustin: Top Spin has set the new bar for tennis games. Even though it may fit better into the gameplay section, the way the courts impact the game must be mentioned here. Whether it is a grass court or a clay court, the way the match is played changes.

The crowd plays a huge factor with the atmosphere as well. What I love most about the game of tennis is the silence quickly followed by the roar. It shows great respect and appreciation for one of the few gentleman's sports left. Top Spin 4 does a perfect job at presenting the game of tennis the way it needs -- deserves to be -- shown.

Top Spin 4's gameplay is clearly more sim, but does that truly mean better?

Gameplay

Dustin: I don't even know where to start. I loved Virtua Tennis 4. It brought back some great memories from my old Dreamcast days, but the world and consumer has changed. Now the consumer wants realism, and that is exactly what Top Spin 4 delivered. The play styles of each player -- offensive, defensive or net -- changed the way you had to play against each opponent.

Arguably the best part of the gameplay is the way you and your opponent change strategy mid-match. For example, when playing a strong net player, moving to the baseline is one way to steer the match back in your favor.

Caley: Well said, Dustin. The world may have changed, but I guess I have, too. While I loved Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast, this new version didn't quite do it for me. I thought the gameplay felt repetitive, simple and pretty rote. On the other hand, Top Spin had me thinking as much as any sport game has -- giving enough time to plan a strategy but demanding precise timing to execute it.

It's a deep tennis sim, and I don't think it's unaccessible for the casual fan or gamer.

Graphics

Caley: Another slight nod to Top Spin, but both games are very good -- nice crowds, great animations and realistic arenas. The aspect that gives Top Spin the edge is player models. I wouldn't call either game's players the best in the business, but Top Spin's roster looks much less creepy than Virtua Tennis 4's.

Dustin: Sometimes when we do these grudge matches at OS I want to just copy and paste my colleague's responses (hint hint: right now would be one of those times). The graphics really are great in both games, but the player models do kind of look creepy.

Virtua Tennis does have a few things going for it, such as its Career mode.

Career

Dustin: This is a tough one. I love Top Spin's career, but Virtua Tennis 4 brought somthing new to the table. The game-board system they use is one of the most interesting things that I have ever experienced. The game took a big risk by ditching some realism an adding even more fun. I don't think the developers made it as fun as they planned on, but it was still refreshing to see something that hasn't really been done before.

But at the same time, Top Spin's Career mode was great. To some it was boring and stale, but it is exactly the way a tennis career is supposed to go.

It's just too tough to pick one.

Winner: Tie

Caley: I agree with you Dustin, but I'll go out on a limb and pick Virtua Tennis simply because it did try something new. Top Spin's career isn't bad by any stretch, but the structure wasn't as much fun as Virtua Tennis 4's. What's under that structure is a different story (and the reason for a separate gameplay category), but I really enjoyed the unique take on a career mode found in Virtua Tennis 4.

Winner: Virtua Tennis

Intangibles

Caley: I'm giving this one to Virtua Tennis 4. While I don't think it plays nearly as well as Top Spin, there are some really unique things going on in this game that at least partly make up for boring gameplay. First, I really like the mini-games because they effectively carry on this odd legacy from past Virtua Tennis games. I also like the structure of the Career mode (not necessarily the content). The mode is essentially a turn-based sports RPG, and while there is room for improvement, I found it addicting and interesting despite the lackluster gameplay.

Winner: Virtua Tennis

Dustin: Virtua Tennis 4 did a great job attempting to match the best tennis game made to date, but in the end it is just another mediocre title with a few bright spots. Top Spin completed a grand slam in every respect. It is the most realistic sports game made to date. Everything about it you'll see out on the court. Now all I want to see added to the fifth installment is this little tournament that starts with "W."

(That would be Wimbledon for those of you who don't play the sport.)

At the end of the day, it looks like Top Spin is the winner of the Grudge Match grand slam.

Final Thoughts

Caley: It's not quite straight sets, but it's clear that Top Spin 4 is a superior game. However, I don't think the distinction is just sim vs. arcade. Top Spin's deep gameplay is simple enough for the casual tennis fan. On the other hand, Virtual Tennis is too shallow and repetitive, despite its innovative and creative feature set.

Dustin: I'm going to have to say Top Spin does win in straight sets. Virtua Tennis may grab a game here or there, but 2K did a wonderful job in creating arguably the greatest sports sim to date. Like Caley said, Top Spin is simple and fun enough even for the casual tennis fan, but it's also the perfect fit for the hardcore fans as well. Virtua Tennis put out a good game, but in the end those developers had to compete with a great game.

Top Spin 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 dannyr326 @ 06/20/11 12:55 PM
Why isn't Wimbledon in the game? Do you think that it is because the license cost is too much? I don't think it is because they wouldn't sell the rights because I remember it was Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2.

# 2 thejoker3624 @ 06/20/11 01:19 PM
Is it just me but the players in Top Spin look like zombies or ghosts? I don't hear anyone else mention this but I have the PS3 version and I'm not at all impressed with the player models. The created player is even worse. Even though there are a lot of options my player comes out looking ******** no matter what I do. The faces have a bluish hue to them and look sickly and pale. I know this doesn't kill the game, it's just something I can't get past. I haven't played the new Virtua Tennis but the old Dreamcast version had more realistic player models than Top Spin.

Top Spin 3 was a horrible game. I bought it on clearance for like $5 and it probably wasn't worth that. Top Spin 4 fixed the gameplay issues but did very little to fix the player models. It looks almost exactly the same. Creepy is putting it lightly. I know Tennis is not a high priority in sports games because there isn't much of a fan base but they could give it a better effort in my opinion.

# 3 woodjer @ 06/20/11 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr326
Why isn't Wimbledon in the game? Do you think that it is because the license cost is too much? I don't think it is because they wouldn't sell the rights because I remember it was Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2.
IIRC, EA bought exclusive rights to Wimbledon when they were going to make Grand Slam Tennis. Not sure how long it's for or what but I agree...it sucks not having my favorite tourney in the game.

# 4 tarek @ 06/20/11 06:22 PM
Any comments on Top Spin post-patch? That patch seems to have divided alot of players with regards to Top Spin.

# 5 DustinT @ 06/21/11 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
Any comments on Top Spin post-patch? That patch seems to have divided alot of players with regards to Top Spin.
I still love the game.

# 6 fearwhatnow @ 06/21/11 03:42 AM
Dustin accurately mentioned it twice: " It is the most realistic sports game made to date", "2K did a wonderful job in creating arguably the greatest sports sim to date".This is the truth.
After patch and balancing updates game is nearly a perfect 10.Even those who initially didn't like the last balancing update, now are having more fun with this great tennis sim.

# 7 Dazraz @ 06/21/11 07:16 AM
I initially liked Top Spin 4. 2K released the most rounded & polished tennis sim to date. The gamebreaker for me though was the lack of offline multiplayer modes. Other than single games there is nothing here. A shame because the game would be a real blast playing with friends in a tournament.

# 8 DJ @ 06/21/11 10:32 AM
Which game is better for the strictly offline gamer?

# 9 ronaldo9 @ 06/21/11 09:06 PM
I haven't played Virtua Tennis, but one gripe I have with Top Spin 4 is the graphics. I think they are spectacular, but wonder why they have so many arenas with roofs that create shadows. It seems like half of the courts are unplayable for me because it's too difficult to pick the ball up.

# 10 BIG CAROLINA @ 06/22/11 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
So is there a difference between the PS3 or 360? I am going to get this game soon and wondering if I should get it for the PS3 or the 360.
Which game are you getting? TS4 or VT?

# 11 mhanson93 @ 06/22/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
After the patch, I am hitting quite a few more balls out of bounds. It's irritating me a litte bit right now. But I think I'll get used to it and adjust my shots accordingly. Great game regardless...

# 12 EtheRed @ 06/25/11 01:59 PM
I'm a fan of both these series but I do have to say that Top Spin does seem to have the edge this year. Both are fun but if you want the best Tennis game on the market you would be best to purchase Top Spin 4.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.