Home
Feature Article
Top Five EA NCAA Football Games of All Time
5. NCAA Football 11 (Xbox 360/PS3)

After five lackluster titles on the current-generation consoles, fans of the NCAA series were finally thrown a bone with the release of NCAA Football 11. With slick graphics, authentic team entrances and an all-new locomotion engine, NCAA 11 was a rebirth for the series. Yes, the game did include a nasty dynasty progression bug and there were definitely some quirks regarding CPU AI, but the on-field gameplay was relatively solid, evoking the same type of addictive feeling within Dynasty mode that was felt during the PS2/Xbox days.

We also got an Online Dynasty mode, complete with the Story Builder feature and Dynasty Anywhere. Gamers everywhere became their local college news agency, trashing their friends after humiliating losses. There is no doubt that productivity at businesses everywhere dropped as employees recruited the next five-star stud.

4. College Football USA 96 (Genesis)

Building on the solid framework of Bill Walsh College Football 95, College Football USA 96 was the first game to feature all 108 Division I schools, along with predicting the future by allowing gamers to participate in today's traditional BCS bowl games before they were huge money grabs.

The on-field gameplay was solid as well, mostly due to the integration of a five receiver passsing mode and team-specific formations like the Wishbone. This game was reason enough to own a Genesis over a Super Nintendo at the time -- SNES gamers had to wait an entire year before the franchise would make a return on the console.

(Pro Tip: I will claim to my dying day that Michigan State was the best team in this game. The combination of Tony Banks, Scott Greene and Derrick Mason was unstoppable.)

3. NCAA Football 99

I strongly considered putting NCAA 98 at the third spot on this list because of its introduction of a multi-year dynasty. Ultimately, the complete lack of defense in human vs. human games nixed that idea, so it was only natural that NCAA Football 99 ascend to this position.

Not only had the defensive gameplay and Dynasty mode in NCAA 98 been refined, but the game included, for the first time, an optional 16-team playoff format. Yes, you heard it right, back in 1998 you were able to select whether you wanted your dynasty to end in a bowl game or in a 16-team playoff. Perhaps the NCAA should be paying attention?

2. NCAA Football 2006 (PS2/Xbox)

From the polished gameplay to the refined dynasty and introduction of Race for the Heisman mode (aka Road to Glory), NCAA Football 2006 has a special place in the hearts of fans of the series.

Unlike today's somewhat sloppy approach to the career mode, NCAA 06 allowed you to control your player's entire team instead of just an individual player. The result was complete ownership over the team, and the ability to dictate a specific player's involvement rather than relying on a poorly programmed CPU coach. Even better was that after you graduated, your player could become a head coach of a smaller program -- a seamless transition into the game's incredibly deep Dynasty mode.

1. NCAA Football 2004 (PS2)

Simply put, NCAA Football 2004 was the deepest, most addictive football title I have ever played in my life. I dumped hours into the game's College Classics mode, re-creating some of the most unbelievable moments in collge football history, and I played 20-plus seasons of Dynasty mode.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what made the game so unbelievable, but the word balance often comes to mind. Offense and defense were perfectly tweaked in the game, allowing you to build teams around either side of the ball, and everything from recruiting in Dynasty mode to establishing new rivalries with improving CPU teams made you feel completely immersed in a college football program. Presentation was no slouch in NCAA 04 either, and I will never forget the endless number of Sports Illustrated covers I'd flip through, aspiring to have my team featured every week. Oh, and did I mention NCAA 04 was the first in the series to include online play on PS2?

Final Thoughts

As a college football fanatic, I feel lucky to have played so many great games to date representing the sport. With NCAA Football 12 shaping up nicely -- I had a ton of fun playing it at E3 -- this year should be another great one for the series.

Did your favorite make the list? Be sure to rank your favorites in the comments below.

Christian McLeod is a senior staff writer here at Operation Sports, and resident NCAA Football master. With him and his wife expecting their first child any day now, Christian is strategically working on a plan to smuggle his Xbox into the hospital as to not miss out on the NCAA 12 demo (Ed. note: Christian had a healthy baby boy! Clearly the kid knew that first impressions are everything.) Make sure to follow him on Twitter @Bumble14_OS, talk to him on our forums via Bumble14, or challenge him on XBL/PSN via Bumble14.

NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 EtheRed @ 07/02/11 06:52 PM
I can remember playing the EA, SEGA college football games growing up through highschool and then in college I can remember being away from home but every year around my birthday I could count on my mom sending me the newest installment of College Football USA or NCAA Football. a group of friends on my basketball team would sit up almost every night pushing through seasons. When you you the title you had bragging rights (for atleast a night until the next season started ).
It's always good to look back as so many good games.

# 62 DickDalewood @ 07/02/11 07:28 PM
If Road to Glory would bring back total team control as opposed to controlling JUST my player, I would play the **** out of that mode...

In fact, that goes for all career modes.

# 63 dan_457 @ 07/02/11 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
If Road to Glory would bring back total team control as opposed to controlling JUST my player, I would play the **** out of that mode...

In fact, that goes for all career modes.
Why not just play dynasty though? If you didn't want to recruit, or because the AI makes bonehead moves, then I could see it making sense. I like being a cog in the machine rather than the being whole team in player modes. It's what separates a career mode from a franchise.

# 64 MARTZball @ 07/02/11 08:10 PM
NCAA 2004 was the first time I played NCAA football - my first love if you will. No game has come near it for mine since then in football terms. I am confident NCAA 12 will be a game that makes a case for a top five ranking when all is said and done.

# 65 DickDalewood @ 07/03/11 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
Why not just play dynasty though? If you didn't want to recruit, or because the AI makes bonehead moves, then I could see it making sense. I like being a cog in the machine rather than the being whole team in player modes. It's what separates a career mode from a franchise.
Because I like watching my player grow and develope, and I like the individual goals, etc that come with it, but when gametime hits I like to play the entire thing.

I see no reason we can't at least have the option to do that, and allow some of us to have the best of both worlds.

# 66 moylan1234 @ 07/03/11 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
not true other sports titles have had career modes where you control the entire team like NBA 2k a few years back and I agree with DickDalewood there should be an option for people like us

# 67 BDawg35 @ 07/03/11 11:16 PM
1. NCAA 2004
There are many more options and improvements to the game since then, but for pure fun factor, this was my all-time favorite. It was the beginning of online play, which opened up the opportunity to make some of my best Internet friends. Never met most of them in person, but we all have great memories from this game. It's also the game in which I played my first published dynasties.

2. NCAA 2007
This game was as polished as it got in the PS2/XBox days and had features that EA still hasn't implemented on the PS3/360. I played one of my favorite dynasties, rolling with Vanderbilt for about 17 seasons and winning two national titles late in that 'nasty. I played that game to death and loved it.

3. NCAA 2003
My very first NCAA game, so it has a soft spot. This is where my crack ... errr ... NCAA addiction began.

4. NCAA 2008
The first NCAA game on the PS3, I believe, certainly the first one I played on the PS3. It's the first version in which I played a dynasty of any length that didn't end in a national championship, so I take some pride in that. I used Eastern Michigan and played maybe 10 years or so.

5. NCAA 2009
The beginning of online dynasty play, a revolution in the series. I didn't do much with offline dynasty. I can't remember why. Maybe the game wasn't that great after all? Maybe playing an online dynasty took up too much of my gaming time? I think I played five seasons with Oregon State and won the national title in Year 5, then stopped playing.

# 68 Bamanutt @ 05/18/13 12:07 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I like this list & recently started a 2006 dynasty on org Xbox & wow what a blast.

After reading all the old comments I went to look for video of 07 & found this gem..I'm sure it will bring back some memories for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ef9HWEYNR4

# 69 bh446066 @ 05/19/13 02:13 AM
Definitely agree with 11, 06, and 04. Only played the series since 03, so I'd round out my top 5 with 08 and 05. Yes, I loved 05!

# 70 Eagle34 @ 05/19/13 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I really do miss the ability to have your Road to Glory player move on to become a coach in your dynasty. I don't understand why that was removed.
That gives me an idea about what it would be like if tied in with the Coaching Carousel. Say I was a WR in college. Then I could become a WR coach. Just like offensive coordinators can only control the offense, WR coaches could only control the receivers. I'd definitely love playing something like that.

# 71 ngw411 @ 05/25/13 10:43 AM
IMO NCAA football 06 is the greatest because I never played 04. On this generation NCAA 12 is the best though.

# 72 KingV2k3 @ 05/25/13 12:55 PM
I've only kept two:

NCAA 11 and NCAA 2004, which are both on the list...

Those are the only two where I was able to play multiple seasons (with the same settings / sliders), build up my team at a realistic rate of difficulty and have a blast throughout...

It still stumps me as to why some of these releases are so complete and "stress free" to play and perfect sliders and sim engine fixes for and some are just a hornets nest of "not gonna happen"...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.