Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 12 Reviewer Impressions: Online Play

I only want to touch briefly on the game's online offerings. The reason for the brief overview is that Online Dynasty mode is essentially a carbon copy of offline Dynasty mode -- Coaching Carousel and all. So if you missed my dynasty review yesterday, and care to go back and read it, feel free. All you have to do is simply imagine everything I've already mentioned available to be enjoyed with a group of friends online.

I've said it in the past and I will say it again, Online Dynasty is the single most important online development to hit sports gaming. The amount of fun that can be found here while competing against friends in a virtual FBS is simply unmatched. The addition of the Coaching Carousel to this year's game is just another feather in NCAA's online cap, with the possibilities being virtually endless in terms of human coaching movement from year to year. However, one downside to the Online Dynasty mode seems to be its exploding popularity. No, really, it seems like so many people are trying to start their dynasties right now that people are being put on a virtual wait list to upload their dynasties to EA's servers. This is leading to folks having to wait in a virtual line for an extended period of time -- generally speaking, folks don't like to wait in lines in video games. This issue will presumably clear up once everyone settles in and creates their dynasties.

This year league commissioners are also able to determine the starting prestige and coaching position of each human in the OD. Want everyone to start off as a scrub one-star defensive coordinator? You got it. The only caveat is that unlike offline games, when playing head to head against another human opponent as a coordinator you will play both sides of the ball, somewhat dampening the experience. Regardless, Online Dynasty mode is still a blast, and I can already see that endless hours of my life will be dumped into this mode.

However, I still think it's a bummer that you can't be the commisioner of multiple dynasties without paying an additional fee. As someone who likes to commish at least two dynasties every year, it certainly would be nice to see the default cap raised to three in a future year, especially with the growing popularity of this mode.

Returning to this mode is the ability to write game recaps and conduct recruiting all from the comfort of your computer. This year the game also features, for a fee, the ability to simulate games against the CPU and advance dynasty weeks. However, at the time of this review, these features were not available. Look for an update at a later date should anything groundbreaking be discovered regarding these features.

Outside of the incredibly deep Online Dynasty mode, NCAA 12 features the usual suite of online lobbies, ranked and unranked games, and even games featuring Teambuilder squads. From the games I've played online, the quality is extremely good, with little to no lag plaguing the experience. The CPU AI also seems to be just as sharp when playing human opponents online as it is off, so don't expect to be "cheesed" as easily as in the past.

That being said, when comparing the online games to the offline games, a couple things stick out. First off, the online games are still essentially bereft of any presentation elements that can be found in the offline game. There are no entrances, or in-between quarter highlights or anything else like that. Beyond a couple of highlights at the end of the game, it's a really boring atmosphere online against your opponents. Really, it makes the online game feel much more hollow, which is unfortunate. EA has done a great job replicating Dynasty mode both online and offline, and it's time to do the same for the presentation elements. In addition, defensive ends seem to be a bit more effective online for whatever reason. They seem to shed their blocks a bit more easily, perhaps because they tend to be user-controlled more often, which tends to make outside runs and option plays a bit harder to come by. You can certainly still run inside the tackles and then break it outside, but sweep plays and so forth seem to be less effective.

Overall, the online offerings in NCAA 12 are quite impressive, bolstered mainly by the highly addictive Online Dynasty mode. I typically veer away from ranked games against randoms because of the cheesing I run into, but with the defensive changes to CPU AI I may venture into the wild more often this year.

Check in tomorrow as my review will be hitting the site, complete with score. As always, if you have any questions about the game, even though many of you have it by now, make sure you shoot me a tweet @Bumble14_OS

NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 WhiteMan22 @ 07/13/11 01:06 PM
Going have to try online play sometime tonight

# 2 bukktown @ 07/13/11 01:11 PM
When I clicked the link I was hoping to read a writeup of playing random play now games and just complaining about how annoying it is to play random people.

I wanted some specific examples of idiocy too!

# 3 BigSho31 @ 07/13/11 02:44 PM
Every single time I've played online I run into lag (mostly during kicks) that ruins the entire experience for me. Is the online gameplay experience riddled with lagging or is it smooth?

# 4 Bumble14 @ 07/13/11 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSho31
Every single time I've played online I run into lag (mostly during kicks) that ruins the entire experience for me. Is the online gameplay experience riddled with lagging or is it smooth?
I think it depends largely on the connection of you, and the person you are playing. I personally have not run into any issues in the games I've played with buddies.

# 5 dano562003 @ 07/13/11 03:58 PM
Anyone have a well run online dynasty for me to join? If so, hit me up at [email protected]

Thanks! Btw I'm on 360 GamerTag - cajuncannon25

# 6 ODogg @ 07/13/11 06:24 PM
I am surprised that this doesn't mention the fact that users can't control weather or game start times at all for PLAY NOW online matches. This might not be so bad if every online game wasn't a noon game that is sunny. why cant we have weather and different start times at least be randomized if they are not going to allow us to set it up for ourselves?

I also wish that who is the home team would be randomized as well, I don't like always being the away team when someone challenges me. Please make this random!

Another idea I'd like to see is unranked records. Yes I understand that if you want wins or losses you can play ranked games. But why not still track your record in unranked games but just not have it do anything for the leader board (which I could care less about)?

Oh and I want user stats back please! Make it so you can look folks up online on EAs site and see them there, like you could in the PS2 days. That way I can look up random guys in the lobby on my laptop without challenging them.

And lastly, please get an option for challenging friends directly to either ranked or unranked online games. We should not have to join a lobby room to play a buddy.

# 7 andybaseball2005 @ 07/13/11 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I am surprised that this doesn't mention the fact that users can't control weather or game start times at all for PLAY NOW online matches. This might not be so bad if every online game wasn't a noon game that is sunny. why cant we have weather and different start times at least be randomized if they are not going to allow us to set it up for ourselves

Tried this yesterday and it still works. Only negative is you have to be the home team all the time or tell your buddy how to do it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...work-line.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiff31
1) Go to "play now" Advance to the next screen( Should be the stadium part).

2) I think there is 2 ways to do it but they both work Alright. Go down to where u see " Live Channel Feed" or whatever. It'll ask u if u want the real weather or custom. Flip through both of them. OR u can just go 2 the stadium screen then exit out.( I juss flip through both of them 2 make sure i get live weather) Then exit out the screen.

3) Go to online.

4) Then go to "Create custom match" (Keep in mind, it ONLY WORKS IF YOUR THE HOME TEAM!!!( Thats y u go 2 create custom match b/c ur always the home team.

4) Once an oppenent comes and u start u SHOULD see live weather.
Sidenote: Im not sure if it resets the live weather if ur oppenent leaves. ( Like ur the home team n he leaves n u get

# 8 maddcatt @ 07/13/11 07:54 PM
Not sure if it's me but you cannot see what uniform your opponent picks ....soooo you can pick an opposite uniform whether it's dark & light

Nobody wants to play a game where you have the same color uniforms

This was not an issue in past years and you could alway's see what uniform your opponent was picking

# 9 StL_RamZ @ 07/14/11 12:22 AM
I cannot Start my own online Dyn. It never gets past validating roster...and Im usIng OS roster...can anyone help

# 10 tb24ster @ 07/14/11 03:37 AM
we need this espn broadcast camera view on the game and make it playable. this looks real ! can they send a patch and add this cpu vs cpu camera view to play on, we need more camera views!!!!!!!

# 11 tb24ster @ 07/14/11 03:39 AM
somebody talk to the people at EA and get this broadcast camera in the game to play! they put everything on presentation, but didnt add the ESPN broadcast camera view in for nthose users who only play agaist the computer. CMON EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 12 knighthawksfan @ 07/19/11 04:54 AM
I love the online dynasty mode but I am not worried about playing in ranked matches. I might have too kick out a guy out of my online league but if you want in hit me up on xbox live, GT knighthawksfan We advance every two days or earlier if people get there games done fast.

# 13 ODogg @ 07/19/11 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybaseball2005
Tried this yesterday and it still works. Only negative is you have to be the home team all the time or tell your buddy how to do it.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...work-line.html
yeah man, I did try this and it does work, it's a great find! I do wish we could set our own weather though in addition to using the weather channel feed. I always play at night which means I'm always going to have a night game if I use this feature and if I don't I'm stuck with sunny and no weather.

# 14 sooner1 @ 07/20/11 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
yeah man, I did try this and it does work, it's a great find! I do wish we could set our own weather though in addition to using the weather channel feed. I always play at night which means I'm always going to have a night game if I use this feature and if I don't I'm stuck with sunny and no weather.
Wow I'll have to give that a try..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.