Home
Feature Article
Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

What are they going to do next? How are they going to top it next year? Who’s going to be on the NBA 2K12 cover?

These were all questions the basketball-gaming world was asking after the huge success that was NBA 2K11. Today, after an elaborate Twitter marketing scheme, one of those questions were answered. The cover athlete -- or should I say athletes -- were revealed for NBA 2K12.

Magic Johnson and Larry Bird are joining Michael Jordan this year as part of a three-cover NBA 2K12 package. I’m not surprised, and quite frankly, I'm not excited about this news either. Considering everybody from us (on an OS Radio show last season) to most NBA 2K gamers predicted this selection, it just has a stale feel to it. Some would say it was their only move to try and top what they did with the Jordan cover last year, but honestly, they can’t top what they did last year so why even try?

Why not let NBA 2K11 have its own place in 2K lore and just go in a different direction altogether this year? He is no Michael Jordan, but as I said on Twitter, Blake Griffin would have been a great choice to carry the NBA 2K torch in a new direction. Griffin is as electrifying a player as we’ve seen since maybe Vince Carter’s first few years in the league. He also has a good marketable image and seems to be a willing endorser of his brand. That’s one thing 2K Sports was never really able to get out of MJ. The only "commercial" Michael Jordan was actually in was a TV interview that had already been used by various media outlets -- far from exclusive marketing. And according to today’s news, that sort of "hands-off" marketing from MJ might be something 2K Sports has to deal with for another three years, as they signed a multi-year deal with His Airness.

Wouldn't this have been an awesome cover?

I’m as big a Jordan fan as there is, and honestly maybe that’s why I’m against this contract extension. Everything Jordan touches should be gold, and by most accounts, NBA 2K11 certainly was. But I fear 2K Sports might not be able to keep up that level of excellence for the remaining years of Jordan’s 2K tenure -- and as a result, could tarnish the legend of NBA 2K11. Unless 2K Sports is able to keep Jordan's involvement in the game fresh year after year, the novelty will wear off fast.

It makes me wonder if the Washington Wizards version of Michael will show up in NBA 2K12. At this point, it would almost seem fitting.

What do you guys think of the NBA 2K12 covers and Jordan’s multi-year extension? Would Blake Griffin or another NBA player been a better choice?

TD is an Operation Sports basketball and soccer writer. Atlanta-born and Nigerian-raised, TD has been with Operation Sports since September of 2008 and is also a digital media producer and video editor for NFL.com's digital media. You can follow him on twitter @TundeSMD.

NBA 2K12 Videos