Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 12: Title Update #2

I’ve read through your impressions. I’ve seen what you gripes revolve around. But when I played NCAA 12 with its latest patch, despite all of the negatives, I found a more enjoyable game.

Before I get flamed, know that I rock the 360, so the no huddle problems you PS3 users experience aren't there for me.

However, the first thing I checked out was the no huddle, and I encountered no problems. My playbook was there, I had the options and could run a Pro-Style offense to near perfection.

My team of choice is Oregon, so the spread is my comfort zone. As you should know, the spread was a pain to run pre patch since option plays were a waste of time. The improvements of the quarterback’s acceleration and the lead blocking allow you to create something if it’s available. The blocking is still not the best, but when it comes to EA football titles it’s never up to par. But now that I can gain five, ten and sometimes 20 yards with Thomas or James, the spread finally feels more realistic.

Another big gameplay issue with NCAA was the terrible AI in the secondary. The patch has made it better, but I still find it slightly too easy to connect on deep passes. Zone coverage pays more attention to your quarterback, which is good, but they still aren’t where they need to be most of the time.

The only problem that I can’t stand is the CPU’s ability to run screens. Sure screens are always hit or miss, but they can’t move the ball at all. I love giving my opponent a 5-yard loss, but it really kills the realism and fun factor when they choose a screen play on third down.

Outside of gameplay, the changes made to roster edits are a great addition. I love how we can change other team’s ratings. Obviously if you want, you can destroy some ratings of good players. But it’s great how, especially later in the real college season, we can edit some freshman that are tearing it up. EA basically gave us total control for roster updates. If that isn’t win, I don’t know what is.

The game still is far from perfect, but the patch made it better than it was before. NCAA is now more enjoyable than Madden, and should be your top football choice until Madden receives similar treatment via a patch.

NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BenGerman @ 09/19/11 11:54 AM
I agree. I think (and I think by just being a member of the forum, I can understand why) we as sim gamers tend to overlook the fun factor. EA just isn't producing a top tier sports game in either of its football series, but they aren't half bad either. I look at it as its a series that continues to strive for improvement, and has made a lot of improvements since '07. It makes me wonder if the gameplay engine that was first implemented this gen kind of screwed them over to making any kind of major overhaul as far as gameplay goes.

# 2 CM Hooe @ 09/19/11 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Toms
NCAA is now more enjoyable than Madden, and should be your top football choice until Madden receives similar treatment via a patch.
Way to offer an opinion as fact. I in fact am thoroughly enjoying Madden as it stands right now and have no desire to play NCAA again this year. On-the-field, there's a different experience in both games to be enjoyed, depending on one's tastes, and neither should be outright dismissed so thoroughly and irresponsibly.

Further, while I realize that the focus of this article is on-the-field aspects, that online dynasty still is non-functional for myself, my brother, and our local friends continues to completely ruined the enjoyment of this game for me. I understand that not everyone is having this issue, however, but this game likely will not get back into my rotation at all until the file transfer and misreported game results issues are completely resolved.

# 3 oldman @ 09/19/11 12:09 PM
I was happy with the patch until I realized that the option defense for the CPU seems to be broken. That ruined the game because I play in a online dynasty with 9 other people. Are we now supposed to say that no one can run an option play? What a joke.

Also, where is the advance anywhere option? They touted that as one of their big new features, yet it wasn't ready at release so then they said it would be ready in August. September is almost here and it still isn't available.

# 4 CM Hooe @ 09/19/11 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
Also, where is the advance anywhere option? They touted that as one of their big new features, yet it wasn't ready at release so then they said it would be ready in August. September is almost here and it still isn't available.
Advance Anywhere is accessible via the Online Dynasty website. It was unlocked for free for everyone earlier this year. I used it a couple of times while my online dynasty still worked.

# 5 oldman @ 09/19/11 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Advance Anywhere is accessible via the Online Dynasty website. It was unlocked for free for everyone earlier this year. I used it a couple of times while my online dynasty still worked.
Where at? I am on the website and can't find it.

To the OP, I like Madden tons better by the way. The only reason I am still playing this is because of my OD, which only works every now and then.

Another question is this, can we compile a list of all the problems that have been created since the release of the second patch?

What I know of are the following:

CPU option defense doesn't cover correctly
Recruit tendencies are messed up

# 6 oldman @ 09/19/11 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Way to offer an opinion as fact. I in fact am thoroughly enjoying Madden as it stands right now and have no desire to play NCAA again this year. On-the-field, there's a different experience in both games to be enjoyed, depending on one's tastes, and neither should be outright dismissed so thoroughly and irresponsibly.

Further, while I realize that the focus of this article is on-the-field aspects, that online dynasty still is non-functional for myself, my brother, and our local friends continues to completely ruined the enjoyment of this game for me. I understand that not everyone is having this issue, however, but this game likely will not get back into my rotation at all until the file transfer and misreported game results issues are completely resolved.
You and I have a similar problem. The OD issues ruined the game for me. However I did have hope once the new patch was released, but seeing all the problems coming out of it have put me right back in the same situation.

# 7 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/19/11 12:23 PM
IMO the gameplay engine is starting to become the catch all excuse for everything that they didn't fix or improve on. Reminds me of a person who blames their environment or growing up without their father for them not succeeding in life.

It comes a time when a person have to stop blaming other things and start pointing the blame at themselves. I mean 6 years now, you can't still be using the gameplay engine as an excuse.

I mean what is going to happen when the new consoles come out and they have a new engine, what they going to say then ? It's a new engine and it will take us a few years to get use to the new tech ?

History repeating itself. Vast majority of this stuff is FIXABLE with the current engine. Last I checked the PS and PS2 didn't have a physics engine and they still had pass interference calls.

The problem isn't the engine, the problem is their probability ratio of stuff happening is severely FLAWED. The AI grouping probability ration tree that controls the cpu AI behaviour needs to be fixed.

Fixed to the point where the cpu recognizes who is on the field and who isn't on the field. That way they won't be calling the same passing plays even though their star QB is knocked out for the season. I mean this is something they introduced in Madden 10, but it never made its way to NCAA.

Ball carrier vision for players need to be seriously fixed. Players need to use the ENTIRE FIELD when they are running. The way it is now, players have tunnel vision, they don't see the entire field. That is why everytime they run the ball, they stick to the side of the field the play is called on and never look to cut back all the way back to the other side of the field.

Anybody that has been watching college football knows full well that fast players will cut back all the way across the field if it is open because they KNOW they have the speed advantage. If you watched the Miami vs Ohio St game, Travis Benjamin was doing it all game long on punt returns and Miller was doing it running out of the backfield.

When it comes to real assignment AI, that needs to be fixed. WRs, TEs and FBs NEED TO BLOCK. Guards and Centers need to get out in front of the RB on toss plays and option runs. Georgia Tech is killing teams this year with their option attack. Why ? Because their WRs BLOCK and their guards get out in FRONT of the RB and BLOCK.

You don't need a new engine to fix that. Hell I am living proof you don't because I fixed it myself with their CURRENT ENGINE. So if I could fix it, I know damn well a person whose job is to make video games can fix it.

# 8 BadAssHskr @ 09/19/11 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman
Where at? I am on the website and can't find it.
i'm looking at it now. across the top it say:

Dynasty Hub, Stories, Recruiting, Roster, Schedule, Top 25 Poll, Stat Leaders, SuperSim.

# 9 mkharsh33 @ 09/19/11 12:23 PM
I believe the complexities and multifaceted styles of gameplay for game of football will never allow for a game to be created that provides the wide-ranging needs of the game. I don't think they'll ever be able to create or patch the game for the option play. I've deleted the 2nd patch... as a strictly offline gamer, it ruined it for me and the sliders i created were destroyed by the patch. but i'll keep playing and just deal with it...

# 10 illwill10 @ 09/19/11 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I agree. I think (and I think by just being a member of the forum, I can understand why) we as sim gamers tend to overlook the fun factor. EA just isn't producing a top tier sports game in either of its football series, but they aren't half bad either. I look at it as its a series that continues to strive for improvement, and has made a lot of improvements since '07. It makes me wonder if the gameplay engine that was first implemented this gen kind of screwed them over to making any kind of major overhaul as far as gameplay goes.
I wonder how well they will do losing a couple devs to Madden.
Gameplay and audio/commentary/presentation needs to be the main focus next year. There should be a total overhaul. Passing needs to be refined, touch and more arches. Running in whole needs to be redone. Slow down running(not sprint), actual planting and having to recover, slow down reaction, and running styles. WR/DB interaction needs to overhaul, jumpball and ball in air situations. OL/DL interaction and blocking needs to be redone. KR and PR needs to be fixed. New commentary, really add the college atmosphere.
I would like them to focus on those areas of the game.

# 11 knighthawksfan @ 09/19/11 12:43 PM
I love ncaa football 12 go hawkeyes!!!!!!!

# 12 illwill10 @ 09/19/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
IMO the gameplay engine is starting to become the catch all excuse for everything that they didn't fix or improve on. Reminds me of a person who blames their environment or growing up without their father for them not succeeding in life.

It comes a time when a person have to stop blaming other things and start pointing the blame at themselves. I mean 6 years now, you can't still be using the gameplay engine as an excuse.

I mean what is going to happen when the new consoles come out and they have a new engine, what they going to say then ? It's a new engine and it will take us a few years to get use to the new tech ?

History repeating itself. Vast majority of this stuff is FIXABLE with the current engine. Last I checked the PS and PS2 didn't have a physics engine and they still had pass interference calls.

The problem isn't the engine, the problem is their probability ratio of stuff happening is severely FLAWED. The AI grouping probability ration tree that controls the cpu AI behaviour needs to be fixed.

Fixed to the point where the cpu recognizes who is on the field and who isn't on the field. That way they won't be calling the same passing plays even though their star QB is knocked out for the season. I mean this is something they introduced in Madden 10, but it never made its way to NCAA.

Ball carrier vision for players need to be seriously fixed. Players need to use the ENTIRE FIELD when they are running. The way it is now, players have tunnel vision, they don't see the entire field. That is why everytime they run the ball, they stick to the side of the field the play is called on and never look to cut back all the way back to the other side of the field.

Anybody that has been watching college football knows full well that fast players will cut back all the way across the field if it is open because they KNOW they have the speed advantage. If you watched the Miami vs Ohio St game, Travis Benjamin was doing it all game long on punt returns and Miller was doing it running out of the backfield.

When it comes to real assignment AI, that needs to be fixed. WRs, TEs and FBs NEED TO BLOCK. Guards and Centers need to get out in front of the RB on toss plays and option runs. Georgia Tech is killing teams this year with their option attack. Why ? Because their WRs BLOCK and their guards get out in FRONT of the RB and BLOCK.

You don't need a new engine to fix that. Hell I am living proof you don't because I fixed it myself with their CURRENT ENGINE. So if I could fix it, I know damn well a person whose job is to make video games can fix it.
Fully agree.
I do think once the new consoles come out thay they will have a new gameplay engine(physic). Hopefully they carry over the features instead over completely starting over and streamlining modes.

# 13 Sundown2600 @ 09/19/11 01:00 PM
Initially I was happy with the patch, even though the no-huddle glitch was a problem I worked my way around it (a common theme with this series current gen).

Then I found out the tendency bug STILL exists post patch as evidenced by this thread http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-recruits.html

Several of the users tested this (me included) and found out sure enough that EA didn't fix this issue at all. They put a band aid on a stab wound. They basically fixed tendencies for the players in your current rosters only, so once you get to season two of dynasty many of the new recruits will experience tendency changes as soon as the off-season is over. Unacceptable.

I have been very patient during this whole fiasco while others blew their tops a lot sooner than I did, but enough is enough. How long will this happen with this series? It's always something every year. Broken fatigue, broken progression, broken this and that, not to mention the gameplay elements that should have been fixed years ago...lack of trajectory and variety in the passing game. LBs reacting in super human ways to passes in the middle of the field. Playmakers, Madskilz and others have been preaching about this all over these boards it's a shame we as a community have to spend countless hours of our time just to find workarounds to solve severe problems with this game.

I won't mention the Transfer Failed bug for all of the OD guys...sorry I brought it up again

EA needs to send out a tuner or a patch very soon and it can't be 2 months from now. It just can't take that long. F1 2011 is out tomorrow so it may be too late for me anyway.

# 14 oldman @ 09/19/11 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
i'm looking at it now. across the top it say:

Dynasty Hub, Stories, Recruiting, Roster, Schedule, Top 25 Poll, Stat Leaders, SuperSim.
I'm looking for the option that let's the commish advance the week from their computer. Where is that? That was touted as a new feature, then pushed back to August and I still don't see it.

# 15 WipeOut464 @ 09/19/11 02:22 PM
How are you not experiencing the no-huddle glitch? Are you sure you completely understand what the problem is?

# 16 jmik58 @ 09/19/11 02:23 PM
My copy is still up for sale... how's that for an impression?

# 17 malky @ 09/19/11 02:27 PM
Well I guess you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't have his game freeze on him every other game, because that's a problem many are still having and a problem they SUPPOSEDLY FIXED.

# 18 BlastX21 @ 09/19/11 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
How are you not experiencing the no-huddle glitch? Are you sure you completely understand what the problem is?
I've been wondering that too. I have a 360, and can only choose plays from one (bad) formation when going no-huddle.

# 19 synjin @ 09/19/11 02:55 PM
Can I have fun with the game... yeah. Can I get through an entire game without saying "WTF?!?" because of one of the following:

-some effed up bug
-a lazy programming short-cut was taken when maybe 20 minutes worth of writing some extra code could have made it 10 times better
-poor AI
-unrealistic ball trajectory
-pulling guards coming to a complete stand still and doing nothing once they get outside the O tackle
-lead FBs coming to a complete stop in the gap on Iso plays when they should be charging at the MLB
-at least 1 OL completely whiffing on a pass block within .5 seconds of the snap
-Psychic DBs running one direction, then instantly leaping 12 feet in the opposite to swat down a pass that should be over their heads anyway
-suction blocking, the kind where I can push the L-stick in the opposite direction of my defender and I still don't disengage.
-DL's forced to run in a pre-set direction (usually right into the arms of a pre-assigned OL, or jog in place vs. option runs) for the first second of the play.
-Horrible defensive assignment and man-alignment AI
-Play action plays where the QB gets sacked before you can control him, even though the D didn't jump the snap.
-MLBs and DTs "parting the red sea" on CPU runs up the middle when CPU sets their blocking to aggressive
-QB's taking forever to get through their throwing animation, allowing what should be a quick checkdown or slant throw to end up being a sack, even if the QB is 90% of the way through the animation.
-CB's assigned to Man defense stuffing RB's in the backfield even on inside runs.
-CPU defense knowing your offensive playcall
-skill players not returning to the game even when they haven't been injured, and they aren't tired because you've called 2 TOs over the last 2 plays.
-Custom Playbooks completely effed up, including formations that I didn't choose and weren't even offered as a choice when I made the playbook (Jumbo Ace and Pro-I double tight to name two)
-making me back out to "formation" to scroll to a different KO return play, or defaulting to FG when I'm 4th and 12 on my own 20 yard line when on offense, or defaulting puntblock on defense
-6'1", 236 lbs HB's with 87 speed and 48 str.
-6'6", 248 lbs ATH's that are HBs.
-ATH's that can't play more than a couple positions and only on one side of the ball. What's the point of being an ATH if you can't be moved around to many different positions and play them all relatively equally.

...the answer to that: NO. I can't get through a single quarter without experiencing several of those things, much less an entire game. That Haumiller and his crew haven't been fired for this bug-filled debacle weeks ago is still astounding to me.

# 20 synjin @ 09/19/11 03:09 PM
sorry that should be 6'1" 236 lbs HB's with 97 speed and 48 str and have the "Power" tendency. They also have under 70 for both Trucking and Break Tackle.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.