Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K12 Reviewer: My Player, More Modes!

NBA 2K has always thrived on their game modes. Association is considered one of the best franchise modes in sports games and My Player was a very quick success. This year, Association was barely touched, but My Player had a pretty big overhaul. But the problem is, that overhaul might not be enough to keep players interested in playing the mode.

My Player

The most popular mode in NBA 2K11 has made its return with plenty of improvements. Some are considered gimmicks, like the endorsements you can earn, but they are all pretty sweet. I love seeing myself on a billboard or in a commercial. Wearing my own signature shoe and shooting with my very own signature shot is awesome. But the gameplay and AI logic in the mode is what is really killing the fun.

I’m not sure if 2K tweaked the gameplay between the demo I had a month ago, or if I finally have had enough time to notice the problems. One of the biggest issues involves the consistent lag. Too often will the game slow down much like it has in past 2Ks. When you’re bringing the ball up it won’t affect you too much, but when you’re shooting from the post good luck executing that perfect release.

The scoring system is also improved, but still flawed. Unless you play a near-flawless game, you’ll be sitting in the C+ to B- range. But gone are the knocks when shooting full-court buzzer-beaters and when a teammate lets your man score.

The AI logic, which I raved about with my hands-on, feels just plain bad. It is improved from last year, so it’s a step in the right direction. But when Gortat starts bringing the ball up court and driving, there’s a huge problem. Teammates aren’t running around trying to get open, they sit in the corner waiting for the point to make something happen.

And the AI logic doesn’t stop there. The trade logic, which is bad in Association mode as well, is making me want to stop playing My Player. I’m a point who was drafted to Phoenix 13th overall, and in my first week Nash, Carter, Frye, Brooks, Gortat and Childress were all traded away. Instead we had a much better lineup, but entirely unrealistic. Chris Bosh made his debut in the desert after Miami decided Aaron Brooks and Vince Carter fit their team better. Stuckey and Gordon came over from Detroit, while Ariza and Jamal Crawford parted way with New Orleans and Atlanta, respectively. Week 1 in my second year, they traded Bosh, Gordon and Crawford at the deadline for Rashard Lewis and Trevor Booker – Phoenix was sitting in the second seed.

But outside of the problems, the mode still has plenty to offer. The mode starts off in the rookie showcase followed by pre-draft interviews. Next thing you know, you’re in the NBA (D-League is gone) as a 60-rated player. You won’t be starting anytime soon – I’m in my third year and have yet to get anything more than 15 minutes per game. 

Attributes are still expensive, but a newcomer has made its way into your purchasing. Abilities range from 9,000-15,000 points for the first upgrade. These abilities allow you to perform better moves such as crossovers, step-back jumpers and floaters.

Contracts are in the mode after everyone prayed for them. As a rookie you get no option to negotiate, but once you go into free agency let the bidding wars begin. With your salary you can spend it on more points, raise your popularity with teammates/media/fans or spend it on signature packages of your favorite NBA superstars.

The Greatest

To describe this mode in one word, I’d have to choose “wow.”

2K went all out with their legends this year. With 34 classic teams from all eras, dream match ups will become a reality.

Presentation has to be the big winner here. From the Lakers/Celtics match up from the 60s being in black and white, to the Bulls/Hornets game in Technicolor, 2K has made this mode worthwhile.

Not only do the games look fantastic, but the commentary took it to a brand new level. The trio of Kevin Harlan, Clark Kellogg and Steve Kerr bring the history out from each classic team. Instead of hearing straight up commentary about Gary Payton, you’ll hear Clark bust out knowledge of all the defensive accolades The Glove earned during his time in the NBA. The same goes for any other classic team.

In order to unlock the teams for quick play, you must beat the respective challenge. And once you have all the teams it’s great, but for some reason 2K has put a lot of restrictions on the legends. It’s a huge process to get legends in Association, and it isn’t even possible to take the teams online (even if you could, the servers have been terrible so far).

Association

I love Association. It’s my main mode of play, but this year nothing much has changed. Plus, thanks to the lockout, rookies don’t make an appearance. I didn’t think having them out of the game would hurt the fun factor of Association, but it really does take a toll. It's not 2K's fault.

One change is with the ability to lock up players mid-season. Also, once free agency hits, there will be both restricted and unrestricted free agents. It doesn’t do much to affect the overall gameplay of the mode, but it adds to the realism.

Just like I mentioned earlier, the trade logic is garbage. Duncan was traded for Nash, Ginobli was traded for Mo Williams and Westbrook was traded for Jeff Green. The only trade I saw that made perfect sense for both teams was when The Clippers and Pistons agreed on an Aminu/Prince swap.

I hate to leave this section so small, but the upgrades just didn’t make it this year.

Training Camp

There are 88 moves for you to learn from, all taught by legends such as Jordan, Bird and Olajuwon. It will take about an hour or so to go through each and every one of them, but it’s worth it for all 2Kers. Once you’re done with all 88, you will be able to go back and choose each lesson separately.

There isn’t much to say about this mode, except that it is a great addition to NBA 2K.

Final Thoughts

My Player is a disappointment, sadly. The glitches and AI logic, both on and off the court, are too much to handle. The improvements are great, but until a patch comes out it might keep me away from it for a while.

Aside from My Player having those problems and Association being nothing new, the game modes should keep you all playing for quite sometime. The Greatest mode is enough to keep me entertained, especially with the beautiful presentation – I can’t get over how great it looks.

Make sure to come back to OS tomorrow for the final review of NBA 2K12.

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Retropyro @ 10/07/11 11:50 AM
I hate the trades in My Player. I got drafted by the 76ers and the first few games were great as they were a fun team to be on. I created an athletic SG so it was a nice fit. By game 20 they traded away Holiday, Turner, Williams, Songailia, Kapono and then the final straw - Iguodala. Now it even has a rumor of Brand being up for grabs.
The trade logic needs to be fixed.
The punishment you take for making a mistake still seems to be too severe. I was 3 games into my career going against the Warriors. My player was rated at 64ovr. My team score was sitting at a B- with the green bar about half way to a B. We were up by 14 and I was up against Stephen Curry. They ran a pick play and Curry made a nice move and drove for 2. Should I get penalized? Yes. But to go down to a C+ where the green bar is just about to drop down to a C?? Seems a little much.
I also think your teammate score should start each game at the same level as your season average instead of always starting at C.

# 2 money111777 @ 10/07/11 11:53 AM
EXACTLY how I feel about My Player. Its just gettin plain sad now they need to patch it, and patch it RIGHT this time. The patch for 2k11 made it WORSE... My Player mode is why I buy 2k, but its jus horrible since 2k10. I hope they see this and listen to you guys!!

# 3 Giammajo @ 10/07/11 11:53 AM
Thanks for the great write up, Dustin... But I have to disagree with you on the teammate grade in My Player. I've been averaging High B's to Low A's (All-Star Sim) as an all around PF. As long as I pick my spots and don't over commit on defense things seem to turn out well. Perhaps it's more difficult from different positions?

# 4 NealN42 @ 10/07/11 11:59 AM
Wow, I'm actually impressed by that review. It's spot on. My Player "improvements" this year are entirely off the court, making the actual gameplay still a disappointment. Sure starting out with a higher overall rating is quite nice, and has been needed for years, but 2k still has you start out with things like a 25 dunk rating even as a 6'6 SG...who gets drafted in the top 10 that physically can't dunk at 6'6?? And the fact that Association is 99% untouched from 2k11 is unacceptable.

# 5 Jakeness23 @ 10/07/11 12:07 PM
Yeah the trades in My Player are ridiculous. In the first two weeks (I was drafted by Houston) we traded for Bosh and David Lee (by the way we traded Kevin Martin for David Lee cause you know, GS is running low on scoring guards...). Then we traded Terrence Williams (who was our leading scorer at the time) for Paul George. We had a pretty good PG (can't remember who it was, he was another traded player that we received) and at the deadline we traded him away for a backup PG and then traded away Paul George. REALLY needs a patch in MP.

Anyone else have a problem with every time you cut through the lane you get bumped and thrown off course and sometimes you randomly post up? Oh and when I try to crash the offensive boards I ALWAYS get sucked into an animation where I get boxed out by somebody and there is no way of moving out of it...

# 6 money111777 @ 10/07/11 12:13 PM
My Player suggestions:
1. Allow us to alter Game Sliders, Game speed, etc. the cpu is unstoppable and the speed on 50 is too slow for me.
2. Make AI oppenents smart, they suck. Constantly get scored on, opposing team gets way too many wide open shots.
Those r only a few. The others r jus from the dumb, clunky animation system that 2k needs to get rid of sooner than later. Im honestly tired of gettin vaccumed into a defender, running out of bounds when I try to crossover(due to the vaccum of the defender), and I could go on and on. I kno the game wont b perfect but these r glaring problems from previous 2ks.
Im sheesh, 2k10 My Player was so much fun. I even enjoyed beating people online on the pick-up games. Now, its jus frustrating and sad to play.

# 7 money111777 @ 10/07/11 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
Yeah the trades in My Player are ridiculous. In the first two weeks (I was drafted by Houston) we traded for Bosh and David Lee (by the way we traded Kevin Martin for David Lee cause you know, GS is running low on scoring guards...). Then we traded Terrence Williams (who was our leading scorer at the time) for Paul George. We had a pretty good PG (can't remember who it was, he was another traded player that we received) and at the deadline we traded him away for a backup PG and then traded away Paul George. REALLY needs a patch in MP.

Anyone else have a problem with every time you cut through the lane you get bumped and thrown off course and sometimes you randomly post up? Oh and when I try to crash the offensive boards I ALWAYS get sucked into an animation where I get boxed out by somebody and there is no way of moving out of it...
I heat u loud and clear bro! Same bs I notice over and over again. Its just.... Ughh!! Fix this mess already 2k please.

# 8 money111777 @ 10/07/11 12:18 PM
2k animations r gettin stale. I hate to complain so much because this is way better than 2k11 tho

# 9 houstonsportsfan @ 10/07/11 12:22 PM
that's it that settles it i am not buying this game, i'll just buy something else.

# 10 Jakeness23 @ 10/07/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsportsfan
that's it that settles it i am not buying this game, i'll just buy something else.
I'd still get it, because the positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot... but maybe wait til the first patch comes out.

# 11 money111777 @ 10/07/11 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsportsfan
Yea wait til the first patch bro

# 12 2k10Fonzarelli @ 10/07/11 12:37 PM
thanks for you honesty Dustin, outside of 'the greatest' mode, this game has broken my heart and left me in a gamer depression. Most of the time, All i can think about are ways to improve 2k

# 13 DustinT @ 10/07/11 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giammajo
Thanks for the great write up, Dustin... But I have to disagree with you on the teammate grade in My Player. I've been averaging High B's to Low A's (All-Star Sim) as an all around PF. As long as I pick my spots and don't over commit on defense things seem to turn out well. Perhaps it's more difficult from different positions?
It might be. I'm playing against CP3 and Rose with low dribble and handle ratings, so TOs are almost a for sure thing right now. Plus I'm a pass first guy so I bank on my teammates making the shots for assists. But when I have Gortat driving the lane and Gordon chucking up everything, I'm running back on defense empty handed.

I just hate how I feel like I need to play it safe, rather than make things happen.

# 14 Gramps91 @ 10/07/11 12:40 PM
I've not run into the trade problem yet, I've only played the Rookie Showcase in My Player mode so far and it was Awesome! Got drafted by the Sixers I did. But I've not played a single game for them yet so I've not run into the trade problem. The Association mode is also what I play most of and it's still great I love the presentation this year and finally a full half time show all great. But the headlines are the worst part I've seen so far. They are littered with trade rumors and contract signings. While these are okay from time to time I really want to see headlines about games from the previous night like in 2K11. I've not seen a whole lot of trades happen so far in association but have been offered a couple. Both trades were rip-offs so I declined both. That's been my experience so far. overall pretty good

# 15 ccjj1010 @ 10/07/11 12:47 PM
getting assists in this game are damn near impossible. 2k is suffering from the madden ULTIMATE LINEBACKER SYNDROME, where on ball defenders while guarding the ball can intercept my lead passes

# 16 RH3NewOrleans @ 10/07/11 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjj1010
getting assists in this game are damn near impossible. 2k is suffering from the madden ULTIMATE LINEBACKER SYNDROME, where on ball defenders while guarding the ball can intercept my lead passes
Yeah, I have a horrible time with assists to turnover ratio. Even when it seems like the lane is open someone hits the ball and it gets stolen.

So far, I made a PG that is on the Suns and nearly all of the starters were traded. The team is better now, I guess, but the whole reason they drafted me was to have Nash pass the torch to me, and now he isn't even here anymore.

# 17 mike43978 @ 10/07/11 02:18 PM
I'm reading through a bunch of comments here and heres the problem with my player in 2k12 coming from someone who played myplayer a ton in 2k11 and went online and consistently got double double in points and assists with my point guard. My player mode 2k12. 8 Min quarters, All-Star difficulty (You just have to get used to it but it is a bit harder than pro but much funner and realistic) Drafted by the Jazz. Played first few games not much playing time, but it was awesome because the AI was actually not mentally retarted like they were in 2k11. Al Jefferson would rape in the post. After a couple more games, about 7 games in now, playing time increasing, the trades begin to happen. Al Jefferson traded away from Darren Collison, are you joking me? I'm a point guard and we have devin harris yet we need to get rid of our size and big man star down low? Then Paul Milsap gets traded away from OJ mayo, which i actually like this cause I'm making OJ one of the leading scorers in the NBA. More trades and the Jazz starting line up becomes this, Oh and I'm starting now after 9 games, don't know how the forum creator played 3 seasons and not starting, must be playing only key games or something. Anyway starting lineup: Me (PG), OJ Mayo (SG), Paul George (SF), Andrea Kirelnko (PF), Derrick Favors (C). Anyone see a problem with this lineup?? Anyone? Yeah no size at all, we get out rebounded like crazy, especially we give up alot of offensive rebounds. What I've learned about the AI in 2k12 if this. They are smart and good on these conditions. YOU HAVE to play realistically. Change things up. I think its easiest if your the point guard running the show. Use the new quick controls that tells your players to cut to basket or get open or post up. Share the ball. Don't be greedy. And do not think you can just dribble right in chris pauls face with the ball up against him and he's not gonna steal it. Get ball movement going, use the sweet new hot step layup improvements but kick it out for the wide open 3 if you get doubled. Most important of all don't give up on your players if they screw up one time, keep feeding them the ball. I'm now in my 17th game with 38 mins a game and i have to say 2k12 is the shiz...other than the ******* trades they really need to patch it so your team doesn't trade away your whole team, I purposely picked the Jazz because of Al Jefferson so i could get bunch of assists by driving then tossing it off to him for the easy dunk.

# 18 Gramps91 @ 10/07/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
I've not run into the trade problem yet, I've only played the Rookie Showcase in My Player mode so far and it was Awesome! Got drafted by the Sixers I did. But I've not played a single game for them yet so I've not run into the trade problem. The Association mode is also what I play most of and it's still great I love the presentation this year and finally a full half time show all great. But the headlines are the worst part I've seen so far. They are littered with trade rumors and contract signings. While these are okay from time to time I really want to see headlines about games from the previous night like in 2K11. I've not seen a whole lot of trades happen so far in association but have been offered a couple. Both trades were rip-offs so I declined both. That's been my experience so far. overall pretty good
Didn't even see the guy had talked about Greatest Mode so now I'll post my impressions on that. I love Greatest Mode. The presentation is fantastic and the commentary is top notch. Players also play like their real life counterparts. That's all great. However, I have had a slight issue. I beat the Jordan game the first night I had it and it said Completed. The second night while trying to beat the Johnson game (took me like 5 tries) It still said completed. But, last night after I finally beat the Johnson game neither the Jordan game or the Johnson game said completed (and I had just beat the Johnson game like 10 seconds before that). So I turned the game off and back on and then the Jordan game said Completed but the Johnson game didn't I had to actually beat the Johnson game again. Finally this time both said completed and it saved. I went and saved rosters manually just to make sure. So hopefully, when I play later today both will say completed and I can continue on the the Larry Bird game.

# 19 Dajuice23 @ 10/07/11 02:55 PM
The only thing I want to touch on is your review of my player. If your still riding the bench after 3 years and only getting 15 mins per game thats not the games fault. It's YOUR fault. The NBA has an 82 game season. Odds are you didn't play all 82 and you chose to play just the key games. There are about 15 key games per year from things i've read around the net. Obviously your not going to progress if your playing 15 out of 82 games per year. Do the the math. I'm 11 games deep with the rockets and i'm already the 6th man. You have to put the work in if you want to be good.

# 20 Dwadefan @ 10/07/11 03:16 PM
I read that a fix for the player trades is to put a no trade clause on the contracts of the players you dont want traded i.e.(Wade, LBJ, CB1,Melo,Stat,Drik...etc)see how that works, I dont know because I dont have the game yet

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.