Home
Feature Article
Ten Areas of Improvement for MLB 12: The Show

With the World Series coming to a climax the next two nights (Editors note: or one if my Rangers have their way), you may be thinking that it’s a bit early to start looking forward to next season. But with free agency starting not long after the Classic ends, time will start to fly by. After all, MLB 12: The Show is the next big sports game release. 

Here are a few things I think could improve the annual SCEA release.

1. More control over the fielders

This is something fans of The Show have been asking for, for a very long time. It was reported from those who attended The Show’s community day last year that Sony gave this a shot. It was said that the ball travels to fast for the user to field it effectively. 

If possible, slow the ball down. Let us have total control to make the play.

2. Fix the Pick-Off System

Runners shouldn’t be getting picked off multiple times a game. It seems like whenever you take that extra step, your chances of getting picked-off skyrockets. Let us hold down L2 and release to take off, Instead of doing it automatically. MLB 2K11 does this very well.

3. Better Ball Physics

I would like to see the ball come off the bat more realistically. When a ball is hit down the line, it tends to slice. This is represented to a small degree, but could be done much better. This would also include balls with top spin and knuckling action. It would add just another touch of realism the series is so well known for. 

4. PS VITA Compatibility

Whether it is the ability to actually play our franchise games on the VITA or just manage our franchise, give us something innovative. This is something the fans have wanted to see with the PSP for years, but it never came to fruition. Sony may be surprised how much VITA sales spike by implementing this feature.

5. Franchise Changes

Franchise mode, for the most part, is well done in The Show. The upgrades needed shouldn’t be in the form of an overhaul or anything like that, but we would love to see the scouting system get some love. Team tendencies should be tied to the manager; trade logic needs looked at as well as roster management; make managing rosters more user-friendly; and last but not least, give our editors, like Knight, better tools for roster adjustments. 

6. Licensed Equipment and Accessories

Another long standing community wish. With seemingly every other current-gen sports game having licensed equipment and accessories, it's time for The Show to follow suit. It would add so much to the immersion factor. Being able to decide if I want Carlos Santana to use Nike or Under Armor catchers gear would be pretty cool. You could also take this a step further in Road to the Show mode and have certain brands offer to sponsor your player based on performance. 

7. Presentation Upgrades

Announcing needs a breath of fresh air. You don’t necessarily have to add or subtract anyone; just give us a ton of new commentary. It would also be great to see enhanced presentation for rivalry games, or games with meaning. That could be something as simple as some special commentary, new graphical wipes. Same goes with playoff games; make it feel like October and give us some on-screen playoff logo splashes. Talk about the importance of each and every at bat. 

8. MLB Today-Like Mode

Sometimes a competing company does something so well that you have to capitalize on it for yourself. I am a big “Play Now” guy, and this feature would be a fantastic addition. Keep the rosters updated daily and let the user follow along with the season.

9. Create-A-Team/Expansion Mode in Franchise

This was a blast in the now defunct All-Star Baseball series. The Show lovers love customization. Give us the ultimate customization experience with this mode. Let us select our city, build our own stadium and jump into whatever league and division we want and participate in an expansion draft.

10. Miscellaneous Additions

Co-op Franchise mode, more sounds of the show options, Single-A teams, cleaner user-friendly interfaces, more uniforms, umpire arguments, ejections for arguing, more stat overlays, more hit variety, stand-alone Playoff mode and more catcher animations. 

Final Thoughts

This is just a small sampling of what the community would like to see this year. If we know the folks at SCEA like we think we do, I would be willing to bet a lot of our wishes will be granted this year.

After all, there may not be a company who listens to its fan base like SCEA.

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 brahmagoul @ 10/26/11 12:34 PM
I'm a big fan of the MLB Today and Vita suggestions. I would seriously consider the Vita if I could play my game on both platforms. Otherwise, I don't see the point when I have enough mobile fun with my phone.

The nice thing about an MLB Today feature is it would eliminate my insistence on playing out the real season in a franchise and trying to follow along with all the moves.

# 2 oldschool127 @ 10/26/11 12:44 PM
I agree with everything said here, especially the stand-alone playoff mode. That's a no-brainer and for the life of me can't figure out why this is left out every year.

I love this game and it has lasting appeal. Out of all the games I own this game gets most of my attention. I'm still playing almost daily. But one thing that has bothered me for years is where are the rainouts and rain delays? MVP baseball did this well and that was '04 so I know it can be done. This would add to the realism of the game when you have to adjust your lineups because you're playing a double-header or say the game gets delayed and you have to bring in a new pitcher once the game resumes. Fields like Safeco should open and close the roof during the game or if the weather is bad. Again, MVP did this 7 years ago.

The playoffs and weather are two things that really need to be added to the game.

# 3 Blitzburgh @ 10/26/11 12:45 PM
MLB Play Now is all I play when it comes to 2k baseball. It would be a great addition to the Show for sure... I am no longer a franchise guy since I just don't have the time anymore.

# 4 franko3219 @ 10/26/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool127
I agree with everything said here, especially the stand-alone playoff mode. That's a no-brainer and for the life of me can't figure out why this is left out every year.

I love this game and it has lasting appeal. Out of all the games I own this game gets most of my attention. I'm still playing almost daily. But one thing that has bothered me for years is where are the rainouts and rain delays? MVP baseball did this well and that was '04 so I know it can be done. This would add to the realism of the game when you have to adjust your lineups because you're playing a double-header or say the game gets delayed and you have to bring in a new pitcher once the game resumes. Fields like Safeco should open and close the roof during the game or if the weather is bad. Again, MVP did this 7 years ago.

The playoffs and weather are two things that really need to be added to the game.

I agree with the weather, it would be one thing if weather did not play a factor in the game, but when you have to adjust line ups for late starts or double headers, etc then that adds to the realism.

# 5 maddentourneys @ 10/26/11 01:01 PM
I would never put the game down if they had the ol' All Star Baseball Expansion Mode. It was a blast getting to choose where you are from, stadiums and the such! And I'm not really sure why they took playoff mode out, because I believe they had it in the 2000-2002 part of the series when 989 sports made the game?

# 6 BaylorBearBryant @ 10/26/11 01:03 PM
I'm tired of the announcing crew. It's nothing personal, it's just gotten stale. I would actually support a switch.

# 7 FLEX6276 @ 10/26/11 01:07 PM
I also agree with everything said especially the Vita compatibility statement. I would love to be able to play my franchise on the go when away from home. Due to the fact there are so many games in Franchise i would love to be able to play all of them.

# 8 Artman22 @ 10/26/11 03:12 PM
To me the most important is #1. Please give people more control over the fielding. The next thing holding this game back is #7 Presentation. IMO the announcers need to go. This game needs a breath of fresh air. The commentating is flat out boring and more stats shown during the game is also welcomed. These 2 things are very important and needs changing asap.

# 9 Galarius @ 10/26/11 03:51 PM
I would like to see the ability to play as Pros(and not just created players) in RTTS.....

# 10 Armor and Sword @ 10/26/11 04:50 PM
I think my biggest area of improvemnt would be the baserunning system. I do like the stick vs the classic baserunning but I still think that just looking at what MVP 2005 did on PS2 with baserunning is a model for success.

I also agree with the October atmosphere. I am currently in my year one post season and the crowds are not any different. I would love to see the chilly air, the fan's waving their towels on 2 strike counts and rising to a fever pitch....some shots of players in the dugouts biting their nails, or spitting seeds on a crucial at bat...of course you can "x" through those cut scenes of players or managers pacing but that would add a sweet touch of realisim in the post season.

A "this week in baseball" type of show showing standings, hot and cold batters and pitchers and a AL and NL player of the week would also add another layer of immersion to franchise.

As far as fielding, that has been my biggest pet peeve of the series. And I went to auto fielding and manual throwing because it looks flat out beautiful and as sim as any sports game I have ever played, and I got tired of wanting to fling my controller across the room. Being a baseball player myself, defense is one of the things I love. And when the animations get in the way of the control...it can be very frustrating. What I don't want to happen is that in the name of control we lose the beauty of this game. I am very happy with the ratings playing out the result in the field. But if they find a way to make fielding much more smoother and tighter I am all for it. But I think it will be a tough task.

# 11 truintellectplaya @ 10/26/11 05:08 PM
I play the Show only when visiting friends that are into the PS3 and the game is a turn off to me because of the pitcher batter duel. 2K's pitcher batter duel is much better because of ball physics. You can barely tell a ball from a strike in the Show because the ball moves in such a unrealistic manner. There are never any seams on the ball or anything close that a real batter would look for. The game is severely overrated because of this fact that they can't even represent the most important aspect of baseball anything close to accurate. Fix the ball physics in every aspect and start with pitching.

# 12 bigdoc85 @ 10/26/11 05:24 PM
Heck, I would just appreciate the game being easier for us folks who don't play that often. I can barely put wood on a pitched ball. Accordingly, I'm still playing NCAA MVP 07 Baseball.

# 13 Bobhead @ 10/26/11 05:45 PM
Fielding and pickoffs are big for me. Ball Physics are also important, but mostly fixable via sliders. Commentary/Presentation is nice but tends to go in one ear and out the other anyway... especially if I'm listening to music while playing. My only real complaint in this area: I wish they would just axe all the irrelevant player-specific stories, or have them not be repeated after a certain date in the season. If I hear them talk about Sean Rodriguez getting stung by a devil ray one more time, I'm literally going to pull my hair out.

# 14 statum71 @ 10/26/11 05:58 PM
Have to disagree that licensed equipment would add to immersion factor....its cool but it doesn't draw to that extent for me.

I'm all for ANY presentation upgrades for any sports title. So I have to agree there. But what I wish they would add is in-season dynamic commentary along with in-season stat banners.

Kinda like NBA 2K......show me a quick list of the A.L. batting, homerun, or ERA leaders and highlight the guys that are playing in my current game. Stuff like that.

# 15 yount19 @ 10/26/11 06:18 PM
Knight would probably agree with me on this request;

How about two player manage only mode?
It would be like any great tabletop or pc text simulation baseball game but on steroids!!!!

# 16 Russell_SCEA @ 10/26/11 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I think my biggest area of improvemnt would be the baserunning system. I do like the stick vs the classic baserunning but I still think that just looking at what MVP 2005 did on PS2 with baserunning is a model for success.

I also agree with the October atmosphere. I am currently in my year one post season and the crowds are not any different. I would love to see the chilly air, the fan's waving their towels on 2 strike counts and rising to a fever pitch....some shots of players in the dugouts biting their nails, or spitting seeds on a crucial at bat...of course you can "x" through those cut scenes of players or managers pacing but that would add a sweet touch of realisim in the post season.

A "this week in baseball" type of show showing standings, hot and cold batters and pitchers and a AL and NL player of the week would also add another layer of immersion to franchise.

As far as fielding, that has been my biggest pet peeve of the series. And I went to auto fielding and manual throwing because it looks flat out beautiful and as sim as any sports game I have ever played, and I got tired of wanting to fling my controller across the room. Being a baseball player myself, defense is one of the things I love. And when the animations get in the way of the control...it can be very frustrating. What I don't want to happen is that in the name of control we lose the beauty of this game. I am very happy with the ratings playing out the result in the field. But if they find a way to make fielding much more smoother and tighter I am all for it. But I think it will be a tough task.
This is pretty much how it works, you can't have both. The more control we give you the less pretty the animations become. Unfortunately there is no way around it The only happy medium is giving you the ability to lock into those same pretty animations you see the cpu use.

This is what we have tried to do the past two years. Give you control of the player and your input and the direction you approach the ball selects the animation that will play.

# 17 Russell_SCEA @ 10/26/11 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc22
Heck, I would just appreciate the game being easier for us folks who don't play that often. I can barely put wood on a pitched ball. Accordingly, I'm still playing NCAA MVP 07 Baseball.

Have something special planed just for this.

# 18 rudyjuly2 @ 10/26/11 06:56 PM
Better commentary and atmosphere. Better sliders - I need to slow down pitch speed more.

What about a hitter's eye mechanic? More hitting camera options too. I like 2Ks default batting cam with pitcher zoomed far away.

# 19 derekjeter02 @ 10/26/11 07:01 PM
this game needs one thing its not the commentary, its not the camera angles it needs legend teams like nba 2k12 that would be great who agrees?

# 20 econoodle @ 10/26/11 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Have to disagree that licensed equipment would add to immersion factor....its cool but it doesn't draw to that extent for me.

I'm all for ANY presentation upgrades for any sports title. So I have to agree there. But what I wish they would add is in-season dynamic commentary along with in-season stat banners.

Kinda like NBA 2K......show me a quick list of the A.L. batting, homerun, or ERA leaders and highlight the guys that are playing in my current game. Stuff like that.
good article. I am in agreement with everything.
also, agreed, statum.

i'd be shocked if SCEA doesnt finally step into the new millennium with tv style presentation ala NBA/MLB 2K
i.e. stat overlays, league leaders, headlines.
its been 3 years of the fans requesting those babies.

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.