Home
Feature Article
Top Missing Teams from the NBA's Greatest Mode

NBA's Greatest mode is one of the most popular features in NBA 2K12. NBA fans enjoy the ability to play with legends like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Isaiah Thomas. But why stop at the 34 teams available in 2K12? There is no reason why these ten teams should not be in the next installment of the 2K basketball series.

1992-1993 Phoenix Suns

This Suns team was one John Paxson 3-pointer from taking the 2-time champion Chicago Bulls to a seventh game in the Finals. Led by MVP (and notableNBA 2K12 absentee) Charles Barkley, the Suns finished with an NBA-best 62 regular season wins. The Suns also featured an All-Star backcourt of Dan Majerle and point guard Kevin Johnson. The Suns had two former All-Stars on their bench in Tom Chambers and Danny Ainge, and a pair of promising young small forwards in Cedric Ceballos and Richard Dumas. The explosive Suns led the league in scoring and are my favorite non-Cavs teams of all-time. I’d love the chance to take on Michael and the Bulls to get Sir Charles the ring he never won.

Starters: PG-Kevin Johnson, SG-Dan Majerle, SF-Cedric Ceballos, PF-Charles Barkley, C-Mark West
Bench Rotation: Negele Knight, Frank Johnson, Danny Ainge, Richard Dumas, Tom Chambers, Oliver Miller

1985-1986 Houston Rockets

While NBA 2K12 includes the Houston Rockets team of 1993-1994, perhaps the best Rockets team of all-time didn’t make the cut. The 1985-1986 Rockets upset the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals, but fell to the best Celtics team of the Larry Bird Era in the Finals. The Rockets featured the “Twin Towers” of 7'0 Hakeem Olajuwon and 7'4 Ralph Sampson dominating the inside. Starting point guard John Lucas was suspended before the playoffs, but that didn’t stop this Rockets team. Shooting guard Lewis Lloyd chipped in nearly 17 points a game in support of the Towers, and Rodney McCray and Robert Reid gave them depth at small forward. A matchup between the original Twin Towers and the Lakers’ duo of Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol would make for some interesting battles in the paint.

Starters: PG-John Lucas, SG-Lewis Lloyd, SF-Rodney McCray, PF-Ralph Sampson, C-Hakeem Olajuwon
Bench Rotation: Allen Leavell, Mitchell Wiggins, Robert Reid, Jim Petersen

1976-1977 Portland Trailblazers

To most young NBA fans, Bill Walton is known as a commentator and Luke Walton’s dad. Before his career was hampered by injuries, Walton was one of the best centers in league history and carried the Blazers to their first championship in only their seventh season in existence. The youngest team ever to win a championship featured All-Star forward Maurice Lucas, who led the team in scoring, and rookie Johnny Davis. The Blazers upset a stacked 76ers team in the Finals and it would be great to replay that classic series on the virtual hardwood.

Starters: PG-Dave Twardzik, SG-Lionel Hollins, SF-Bob Gross, PF-Maurice Lucas, C-Bill Walton
Bench Rotation: Johnny Davis, Larry Steele, Herm Gilliam, Lloyd Neal, Robin Jones

1978-1979 Seattle Supersonics

The most beloved sports team in Seattle history was the first, and only, team to bring a championship to the city (Does the WNBA really count?). The Sonics avenged a Finals loss to the Washington Bullets the previous season behind a lineup of great, but not legendary players. Guards Dennis Johnson and Gus Williams led the team in scoring and had plenty of support from All-Star center Jack Sikma, forwards Lonnie Shelton and John Johnson and important role players Paul Silas and “Downtown” Freddy Brown. This group was a “team” in the truest sense of the word. Sonic fans everywhere would love the opportunity to take their favorite team of all-time against Kevin Durant and the rest of the team that was taken from them and moved to Oklahoma City.

Starters: PG-Dennis Johnson, SG-Gus Williams, SF-John Johnson, PF-Lonnie Shelton, C-Jack Sikma
Bench Rotation: Freddy Brown, Paul Silas, Wally Walker

1986-1987 Seattle Supersonics

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I sympathize with the NBA fans of Seattle and I hope, like us, they one day get a team back. That’s why I’d like to see another Sonics team from the past added to NBA 2K’s Greatest. The Sonics were led by All-Star game MVP Tom Chambers and 3-point shooting star Dale Ellis. Sonic fan-favorites Xavier McDaniel and Nate McMillan provided defense and toughness. While the Sonics struggled to a losing record in the regular season, they were the first No. 7 seed to defeat a No. 2 seed in the playoffs. Eventually, they made it to the Western Conference Finals before losing to the star-studded Lakers. A rematch against Magic, Kareem and the rest of the Lakers would give Sonic fans a chance to relive a great moment from their team’s history.

Starters: PG-Nate McMillan, SG-Dale Ellis, SF-Xavier McDaniel, PF-Tom Chambers, C-Alton Lister
Bench Rotation: Danny Young, Maurice Lucas, Clemon Johnson

1999-2000 Indiana Pacers

During the Lakers’ 3-peat during the Kobe/Shaq era, this Pacers team gave them the toughest Finals of that run. Led by Pacer legend Reggie Miller, the Pacers celebrated their first season at Conseco Fieldhouse with their best NBA season. Jalen Rose led the team in scoring and Rick Smits manned the middle, while Mark Jackson ran the offense. Dale Davis provided rebounding and toughness from the power forward position and the bench bunch was led by Austin Croshere, in what was his finest NBA season. The Pacers at Madison Square Garden would be a must-play matchup and could only be made more perfect if a digitized Spike Lee was in the stands to taunt Reggie.

Starters: PG-Mark Jackson, SG-Reggie Miller, SF-Jalen Rose, PF-Dale Davis, C-Rick Smits
Bench Rotation: Travis Best, Austin Croshere, Sam Perkins, Derek McKey

2000-2001 Philadelphia 76ers

Another Finals victim of the Kobe/Shaq dynasty, this team was similar to the 2006-07 Cavaliers as a team whose offense was dominated by one player. Allen Iverson, the MVP, led the league in scoring in what was arguably his best season. AI was surrounded by a collection of veteran role players who played solid defense and just got out of the The Answer’s way on offense. Old pros like Aaron McKie, Eric Snow, Tyrone Hill and Dikembe Mutombo helped the Sixers make it to the Finals, but ultimately the lack of a second option was the team’s undoing against the Lakers. Iverson was one of the NBA’s most popular players of the post-Jordan era and gamers would love the opportunity to take him up against other NBA legends.

Starters: PG-Eric Snow, SG-Allen Iverson, SF-George Lynch, PF-Tyrone Hill, C-Dikembe Mutumbo
Bench Rotation: Aaron McKie, Jumaine Jones, Todd MacCulloch

1987-1988 Dallas Mavericks

A very deep and talented team that gave the Hall-of-Fame lineup of the Lakers all it could handle, falling in the Western Conference Finals in seven games. The Mavericks had a pair of All-Stars on the frontline in 25ppg scorer Mark Aguirre and center James Donaldson, along with Sam Perkins. A solid backcourt of Derek Harper and Rolando Blackman supplemented Aguirre’s scoring. The Mavericks featured a deep bench, including the talented Sixth Man of the Year Roy Tarpley, Brad Davis and Detlef Schrempf. It would be interesting to see this team take on the defending champion Mavericks and Dirk Nowitzki. 

Starters: PG-Derek Harper, SG-Rolando Blackman, SF-Mark Aguirre, PF-Sam Perkins, C-James Donaldson
Bench Rotation: Brad Davis, Detlef Schrempf, Roy Tarpley

1960-1961 Boston Celtics

Why another Celtics team from the 60s? The team included with NBA 2K12 is missing one of the greatest Celtics of all-time, point guard Bob Cousy. While legends from this team like Bill Russell, Tommy Heinsohn, and Sam Jones are already in the game, a game featuring NBA legends is incomplete without the “Houdini of the Hardwood." This team also featured Hall of Famer Bill Sharman in his final season. By including this team that featured so many Hall of Famers, Celtic fans will definitely have plenty of opportunities to prove which Celtics team was the greatest of all-time.

Starters: PG-Bob Cousy, SG-Frank Ramsey, SF-Sam Jones, PF-Tom Heinsohn, C-Bill Russell
Bench Rotation: Bill Sharman, K.C. Jones, Gene Conley

1975-1976 Cleveland Cavaliers

Who? This team is a sentimental pick. The “Miracle of Richfield” Cavs nearly made the Finals for the first time in franchise history. An untimely injury to starting center Jim Chones before the Eastern Conference Finals contributed to a loss to the Celtics, but Cleveland fans will always look fondly on this team. Chones led the team with just under 16 points a game. Six other players averaged double figures, including Campy Russell, Bingo Smith, Dick Snyder, Jim Cleamons, Jim Brewer and “Mr. Cavalier” himself, Austin Carr. Since this “Miracle” occurred about six months before I was born, I’d love the chance to see how this team played for myself.

Starters: PG-Jim Cleamons, SG-Dick Snyder, SF-Bingo Smith, PF-Campy Russell, C-Jim Chones
Bench Rotation: Austin Carr, Jim Brewer, Nate Thurmond, Foots Walker

Who You Got?

There are the all-time teams I’d like to run with on NBA 2K12. Like my choices? If not, who would you include?

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RandallB21 @ 10/27/11 12:38 PM
I would pay for the 01' Sixers and have them face the 01' Raptors. Anyone remember that series where AI and Vince traded 50 point performances? And Vince missed a buzzer beater that would have sent Toronto to the next round in game 7.

Game 1
TOR - 96, PHI - 93
AI - 36
Vince - 35

Game 2
TOR - 92, PHI - 97
AI - 54
Vince - 28

Game 3
TOR - 102, PHI - 78
AI - 23
Vince - 50

Game 4
TOR - 79, PHI - 84
AI - 30
Vince - 25

Game 5
TOR - 88, PHI - 121
AI - 52
Vince - 16

Game 6
TOR - 101, PHI - 89
AI - 20
Vince - 39

Game 7
TOR - 87, PHI - 88
AI - 21
Vince - 20

# 2 Gramps91 @ 10/27/11 12:39 PM
01 Sixers agreed and 99-00 Pacers agreed
Personally my favorite team of all time was 99-00 Lakers with PG Ron Harper SG Kobe Bryant SF Glen Rice PF A.C Green C Shaquille O'neal. Bench players Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Travis Knight, Sam Jacobson, Devan George. I would pay some good $ for that

# 3 GaryT531 @ 10/27/11 12:40 PM
Until that 93 Suns team is included, no other missing team even matters in my humble opinion. Just my opinion as a big time 90's NBA fan though. That team would have been in 2k11 if Chuck would just get on board already. At least we have Portlandblazer's classic rosters.

# 4 nba2k23 @ 10/27/11 12:51 PM
My Top 3 not on your list:

1973-74 Boston Celtics
John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Jo Jo White, Paul Silas, Don Nelson

1981-82 Denver Nuggets
Alex English, Kiki Vandeweghe, Dan Issel, David Thompson

1977-78 New Orleans Jazz
Pete Maravich (27ppg), Truck Robinson (22ppg), Gail Goodrich (16ppg)

# 5 sportjames23 @ 10/27/11 01:06 PM
Gimme:

Late 80's/Early 90s Suns pre-Barkley (some very good Suns teams)
93 Suns (of course, Sir Charles is on this team)
94 Pacers
88 Mavs (pushed the Lakers to seven games)
88 Jazz (also pushed the Lakers to seven games)
90 Spurs (rookie David Robinson)
86 Rockets (Twin Towers)
Late 80s Sixers (Sir Charles pre-Suns)
87 Sonics (Cinderella SuperSonics with Chambers, Ellis and the X-Man)
92 Knicks (pushed the Bulls to the brink)

Gimme all these and I'm good.

# 6 scatman @ 10/27/11 01:31 PM
64-65 Sixers (Led by a much more nimble Chamberlain)

98-99 Raptors (young VC15 and T-Mac)

96-97 Rockets (Veteran rockets club led by the dream, chuck and drexler; shoulda went to the finals that year)

03-04 Pistons (imma die hard Lakers fan but this team inspired team ball, they have to be immortalized)

02-03 Nets (team would be amazing to play with in this era, no team like them now)

99-00 Lakers (Shaq at his best)

96-97 Heat (Alonzo and T-Way at there best)

96-97 Knicks (with all the 90's team in this game, this was to be the new era of Knicks ball, would love to see them in a game)

# 7 Kingofthecouch @ 10/27/11 01:37 PM
I would buy the game just to play with the 87-88 Mavericks.

# 8 AlexBrady @ 10/27/11 01:53 PM
The most powerful team of all time, the 1967 Sixers. The frontline was all muscle and they were vicious. Wilt was 7'1 310 lbs, Lucius Jackson was 6'9 250 lbs, and Chet Walker was 6'7 220 lbs. They would always wear down the other team and turn the glass into a volleyball game.

The backcourt featured the incomparable Hal Greer. Yes, at 6'2 he was a bit undersized but he was powerfully built and was the master of the 16 foot jumper. The point guard was Wali Jones who was nothing spectacular, just solid.

Their secret weapon came off the bench, Billy Cunningham. He was vertically quick and his lefty slashes to the hoop were irresistible. And he always had the right answers in the clutch. Dave Gambee was another banger. Larry Costello was strong and played hard.

Power usually triumphs over all and this team ranks highest in that department. In a seven game series between this team and the 96 Bulls, it would come down to a game 7 triple overtime. Who wins? Don't ask me.

# 9 stlstudios189 @ 10/27/11 02:21 PM
yeah the 03-04 Pistons were tough, the 93 Suns, and the 94 Pacers for sure

# 10 TheVinylHippo @ 10/27/11 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthecouch
I would buy the game just to play with the 87-88 Mavericks.
Absolutely. Playing with Ro, Mark Aguirre, Derek Harper, Sam Perkins, Roy Tarpley, etc. would be incredible.

# 11 STLRams @ 10/27/11 02:22 PM
92 Knicks, 93 Suns, 94 Pacers, 00 Lakers
would love to have these teams

# 12 hawkfantn @ 10/27/11 03:08 PM
82-83 Sixers

More teams that actually won championships.

# 13 CactusJunk @ 10/27/11 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
The most powerful team of all time, the 1967 Sixers. The frontline was all muscle and they were vicious. Wilt was 7'1 310 lbs, Lucius Jackson was 6'9 250 lbs, and Chet Walker was 6'7 220 lbs. They would always wear down the other team and turn the glass into a volleyball game.

The backcourt featured the incomparable Hal Greer. Yes, at 6'2 he was a bit undersized but he was powerfully built and was the master of the 16 foot jumper. The point guard was Wali Jones who was nothing spectacular, just solid.

Their secret weapon came off the bench, Billy Cunningham. He was vertically quick and his lefty slashes to the hoop were irresistible. And he always had the right answers in the clutch. Dave Gambee was another banger. Larry Costello was strong and played hard.

Power usually triumphs over all and this team ranks highest in that department. In a seven game series between this team and the 96 Bulls, it would come down to a game 7 triple overtime. Who wins? Don't ask me.
Just checked bbref to be sure, as my recollection was that was one of those years when Wilt went off trying to get assists. Sure enough, he averaged almost 8 assists per game, to go with 24 points and 24 boards. That was just a ruthless squad and would be a blast to play in the game.

# 14 cjocan @ 10/27/11 03:23 PM
Very good list, especially my all time favorite team (93 Suns), they should basically be there once they can sign Barkley and they already will have KJ this year, per the DLC. I would like to see all of these teams (probably with the exception of the Cleveland team) and also would like to see another early 90’s team, the Mavericks. I think the team with J-Kidd, Jimmy Jackson and Mashburn would be another fun team to add to the mix…

# 15 soulobeats @ 10/27/11 03:50 PM
The Blazers that both collapsed and got robbed against Lakers, loved using them on Dreamcast

# 16 aloncho11 @ 10/27/11 03:54 PM
The 1992 New York Knicks, one of the best perimeter D's ever. 1993 Suns, 1978 Blazers, 1967 Sixers definitely would be awesome teams to play with too.

# 17 H to the Oza @ 10/27/11 04:16 PM
Is it too early for the 04 champ Pistons? That was a fun team

# 18 SouthBeach @ 10/27/11 04:28 PM
2001 Raptors.

# 19 shootah66 @ 10/27/11 04:45 PM
man do i wish they would put my man big dawg glenn rodinson on the dlc, his team should have been on the greatest eventho they didnt accomplish much. one of my fav players ever

# 20 jeebs9 @ 10/27/11 04:51 PM
I"ll pay $20 for that Sixer 00-01 Team.... The other team I want is already in the game (Kings).

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.