Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K12: What About the Worst of the Worst?

In my last article, I listed out the ten greatest teams that I’d like to see added to NBA 2K12's Greatest Mode. While I was doing my research for the article, I said to myself “Wouldn’t it be fun to play with some of the worst NBA teams of all-time?” It would be a challenge to try to pull off monumental upsets against the all-time great teams, or to rebuild a laughingstock into a contender in Association mode. At the very least, it would allow for the Clippers to have an entry in the Greatest mode. Here are my suggestions for the best of the worst:

These two teams are classic. The teams below? Not so much.

2002-03 Cleveland Cavaliers

In some ways this was one of the most important seasons in Cavs’ history as the 17-win team ended up winning the lottery. They drafted this kid named LeBron James and usheedr in the franchise’s golden era. This Cavs team had some talent, starting with the frontcourt of future All-Stars Carlos Boozer and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, the only member of this team on Cleveland’s 2007 Finals squad. Ricky Davis and Darius Miles were explosive wing players, but didn’t always have their head in the game, e.g., when Davis tried to get a triple-double by intentionally missing a shot. The point guard trio of Milt Palacio, Smush Parker and Bimbo Coles didn’t help matters much and first-round pick Dajuan Wagner showed very little promise. Not surprisingly, most of these guys were former Cavaliers by the end of LeBron’s rookie season.

Starters: PG-Milt Palacio, SG-Ricky Davis, SF-Darius Miles, PF-Carlos Boozer, C-Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Bench Rotation: Smush Parker, Dajuan Wagner, Jumaine Jones, Tyrone Hill, Chris Mihm

1972-1973 Philadelphia 76ers

This team won nine games (NBA record for an 82-game season), the first to lose 70 games and is generally regarded as the worst NBA team of all time. The “9 and 73ers” used 19 players during the season and lost 20 games straight at one point. The highlights of the season were unexpected wins over the eventual champion New York Knicks and the 60-win Milwaukee Bucks. The 76ers were led by Fred Carter (20 points per game), Tom Van Arsdale (17.7 points per game), and Leroy Ellis (13.7 points per game and 10.8 rebounds per game).

Starters: PG-Freddie Boyd, SG-Fred Carter, SF-Tom Van Arsdale, PF-Leroy Ellis, C-Manny Leaks
Bench Rotation: Kevin Loughery, Don May, John Block, Dale Schlueter, Hal Greer

1997-1998 Denver Nuggets

The Nuggets won a measly 11 games while losing 71, falling just short of the all-time record. After trading away their best player, Antonio McDyess, before the season, the Nuggets struggled mightily, including a then NBA record of 23 consecutive losses. The leading scorer was their sixth man, Johnny Newman, who averaged a paltry 14.7 points per game. LaPhonso Ellis was probably the best player on the team, finishing second in scoring and leading the team in rebounds. The Nuggets had a couple of promising rookies in Danny Fortson and Bobby Jackson, but the majority of the roster was composed of veteran journeymen, like Newman and Joe Wolfe, and young players who never made an impact in the league.

Starters: PG-Bobby Jackson, SG-Eric Washington, SF- LaPhonso Ellis, PF-Tony Battie, C-Dean Garrett
Bench Rotation: Johnny Newman, Danny Fortson, Anthony Goldwire, Cory Alexander

1986-1987 Los Angeles Clippers

There have been plenty of bad teams in the less-than-storied history of the Clippers, but this team might have been the worst of them all. The Clippers finished a horrendous 12-70, which was half as many wins as the next worst team that season. Noted draft bust Benoit Benjamin was the centerpiece of this team, who featured a couple of reliable veterans in leading scorer Mike Woodson and leading rebounder Michael Cage. Former All-Star Marques Johnson suffered an early, season-ending injury and Cedric Maxwell was traded mid-season to the Rockets for draft picks. The rest of the roster was made up of journeymen like Darnell Valentine and Larry Drew. 

Starters: PG-Darnell Valentine, SG- Mike Woodson, SF-Rory White, PF-Michael Cage, C-Benoit Benjamin
Bench Rotation: Larry Drew, Lancaster Gordon, Quintin Dailey, Kenny Fields, Marques Johnson

1995-1996 Vancouver Grizzlies

It’s tough to blame an expansion team for being bad, but this was probably the worst of all expansion teams. They had a 19-game losing streak and later in the season followed it up with a 23-game streak (later matched by the Nuggets and surpassed by the Cavaliers last year). The leading scorer was former Knick Greg Anthony, who led the team with a meager 14 points per game. The frontcourt was anchored by Bryant “Big Country” Reeves, who had a solid rookie season in what became an otherwise disappointing NBA career. Blue Edwards and Laker legend Bryon Scott were the other double figure scorers for Vancouver, who went through 18 players during the season. 

Starters: PG-Greg Anthony, SG-Blue Edwards, SF-Ashraf Amaya, PF-Chris King, C-Bryant Reeves
Bench Rotation: Byron Scott, Eric Murdock, Anthony Avent, Lawrence Moten

These teams are very far from the “Greatest”, but they would add a different element to the NBA's Greatest mode in ]2K12

Would you like to see bad teams like these added, and if so who would you run with?

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 almostbobsaget @ 11/01/11 05:39 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2000.html

99-2000 Chicago Bulls get my vote. Though the 1999 lockout season was just as bad, the Bulls this year were consistently ranked in the bottom 5% of the league averages (28th in ppg) and the 2nd worst record in the NBA (beating out the Clippers).

It also didn't help when Will Perdue had the highest paid contract that year.

# 2 SouthBeach @ 11/01/11 05:50 PM
2010-2011 Cleveland Cavaliers - I don't care what anyone says to me. One man was removed initially and they went from 60+ wins to just under 20 wins the following season.

2006-2007 Miami Heat - The same can be said for this Miami Heat team. With Wade's injury eliminating him from a bunch of games, I could have gone to a local high school and picked up a squad of 10 to play them and kept the game competitive.

# 3 porkys8077 @ 11/01/11 06:12 PM
2010 Cavaliers.

# 4 RedSceptile @ 11/01/11 06:37 PM
Man the 09-10 Nets were so bad that I remember when they won there 9th and 10th game the announcers were going freaking bonkers like they just won the NBA Championship.

# 5 VDusen04 @ 11/01/11 06:55 PM
From time to time I've entertained the prospect of using the worst teams ever. And when roster creators re-make entire seasons, I often think "Man, now I can play any team, even the worst ones!" But then, truly, the worst ones are so filled with mediocrity that I lose interest. I thought there would be novelty in running with a team starring Bryant Reeves, Blue Edwards and Greg Anthony, but the effect has been limited in my regard. Maybe it'd help if real players were used (instead of created players) and real jerseys/courts, but I'm not so certain my feelings would be much different.

With all that said, that '03 Cavs team actually has some appealing players. They may have been horrible but Ricky "Get Buckets" Davis was entertaining anyway. He was a fantastic dunker.

# 6 Clusterfudge @ 11/01/11 07:04 PM
2004-2005 Hawks comes to mind

# 7 Gramps91 @ 11/01/11 07:08 PM
09-10 Nets and 04-05 Lakers

# 8 RedSceptile @ 11/01/11 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
09-10 Nets and 04-05 Lakers
ummm the 04-05 Lakers finished 34-48...I hardly see how that constitutes a worst of the worst moniker...

# 9 poloelite @ 11/01/11 07:43 PM
The 2010 Cavs lost MORE THAN ONE PLAYER that caused their downfall. They lost both centers (Shaq and Z), their best bench guard (Delonte), Mo Williams, Jemario Moon, their coach Mike Brown and their GM Danny Ferry. That's 5 Key Starters/Rotation guys other than Lebron, your GM and coach. Not to mention Andy was hurt all year. If the Cavs would've suited up everyone but Lebron and kept their GM and Coach, 40 wins easily.

# 10 JohnDoe8865 @ 11/01/11 08:07 PM
I LOVE this idea.

# 11 bronco4434 @ 11/01/11 08:37 PM
What about the 1992-93 Mavericks?? The logo was great but the team was not!!!

# 12 SouthBeach @ 11/01/11 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
The 2010 Cavs lost MORE THAN ONE PLAYER that caused their downfall. They lost both centers (Shaq and Z), their best bench guard (Delonte), Mo Williams, Jemario Moon, their coach Mike Brown and their GM Danny Ferry. That's 5 Key Starters/Rotation guys other than Lebron, your GM and coach. Not to mention Andy was hurt all year. If the Cavs would've suited up everyone but Lebron and kept their GM and Coach, 40 wins easily.

# 13 plumplylumpkin @ 11/01/11 08:58 PM
09-10 nets. 10 - 72

# 14 _-King-_ @ 11/01/11 09:26 PM
I'd love for the 2002-03 Cavs team to be in the game. That's more or less my favorite team ever.

# 15 btiberi @ 11/01/11 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
They didn't "lose" Mo Williams and Jamario Moon, they traded them to the Clippers for Baron Davis. Baron Davis, IMO is better than Mo Williams and is arguably one of the best PGs in the game when he's all-in. That's just been Davis' issue, he can be a top 5-10 PG one week or 3, and be bad the next. Just inconsistent.

As for Jamario Moon and Delonte West, they were just replaceable bench guys. I mean, They're essentially the same guys as Samardo Samuels, Christian Eyenga, and Manny Harris.

The Cavs need to get rid of guys like Boobie "I practice with Channing Frye in the offseason" Gibson. Seriously, that guy just chucks up threes with no regard for shooting percentage.
Delonte West is definitely not on the same level as Samardo Samuels, Christian Eyenga, and Manny Harris. He's an above average defender, pretty consistent shooter from mid-range and streaky shooter from three. Plus, good teams actually want him, which you probably couldn't say about Samuels, Eyenga, and Harris.

# 16 sunsaz @ 11/01/11 10:32 PM
No love for the '96 Raptors? ANYTHING to get the dino jerseys in the game!

# 17 rangerrick012 @ 11/01/11 10:45 PM
The Cavs weren't worst of all time bad, they still had good wins over the Lakers and Celtics if I remember correctly.

Just looked at their schedule, they did manage to beat a few playoff teams - Celtics, Lakers, Sixers (x2), Grizzlies, Knicks (x3), and the mighty Heat. Record-wise they weren't even the worse team last year (T'Wolves), though they might have the weaker roster. But the fact that they didn't even finish w the worse record in a season pretty much kills any argument for them as the worse team of all time IMO.

# 18 richmo @ 11/01/11 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
So you're saying a guy who took Boobie Gibson and Sasha Pavlovic as starters in the backcourt to the Finals couldn't get 40 wins with Anderson Varejao (one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA), Antawn Jamison and Baron Davis?

# 19 wallofhate @ 11/01/11 11:57 PM
Question is how much would you have to pay players to be a part of the "worst" teams of all times

# 20 SouthBeach @ 11/02/11 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo
So you're saying a guy who took Boobie Gibson and Sasha Pavlovic as starters in the backcourt to the Finals couldn't get 40 wins with Anderson Varejao (one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA), Antawn Jamison and Baron Davis?
No.

If you read it, you'd see that I was saying Cleveland would not get 40 wins with their current squad without LeBron.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.