Home
Feature Article
Top Five Madden NFL 12 Slider Sets

Madden 12 has been a very polarizing game for many longtime Madden fans. But no matter how you feel about this year's iteration, if you're playing this year, you know that the game is best served with a good set of sliders. The goal for all of the slider sets we'll look at is to create a more true to life NFL experience.

1) Playmakers' Madden 12 'Hybrid 0' Custom Sliders - last modified 11/1/11

I've been following Playmakers' slider work on Madden 12 since reading his thoughts on NCAA 12's issues. With his 'hybrid 0' sliders, I think he's hit a great sweet spot. These sliders make the game feel slightly more organic and less scripted. Quarterback accuracy is at a premium in this slider combination. You can really feel the difference between using a great QB, a good QB and a passable QB. 

For example, I could make certain throws with Aaron Rodgers that I couldn't make with Jay Cutler. With Cutler, I could make throws that Colt McCoy couldn't make. They force you to play to your team's strengths. If you have a workhorse running back, you need to ride him. If you're defenders are better at man coverage than zone, you had better watch your playcalling. 

Playmakers also has a house rule - no switching on defense - to try to limit the user from damaging the ratings integrity of CPU teammates. Leave your switch and dive tackling at the door with this set. I really enjoy this slider set and use it in my own franchise (along with Playmakers' QB Accuracy Table).

2) Jarodd21's Madden 12 All-Madden Custom sliders - last modified 11/4/11

Looking for a challenge? Try the sliders provided by Jarrod21. I'll be the first to admit I've never been able to consistently win on All-Madden. Over the years I've found the cheap AI tactics to be controller-throwingly frustrating. What I really like right off the bat about the sliders here, is that Jarrod21 provides three sets. One is for those of us trying to work our way up from All-Pro and give All-Madden a shot. These are called his "red" sliders. The next set is called a "blue" set and it is for those who might find the "red" set too easy. Finally comes the "black" set. This is admittedly for veterans of All-Madden or those who cannot find a challenge on All-Pro level (I know you guys exist, but good grief). 

There are no house rules here, just a suggestion. Play smart. One of the few things I have always enjoyed about Heisman level in NCAA Football and All-Madden level in Madden, is that it feels like playcalling matters more. You can't get sloppy for any length of time. Every play feels like it matters a little bit more. Using these sliders, I found myself having to audible to short passes against a stacked box and hot route my receivers to beat the coverage more often than on All-Pro level. 

With Speed Threshold at 0 you will also find yourself being a little more conservative with your playcalling on defense, keeping safeties deep and calling fewer blitzes (or smarter blitzes) unless you enjoy watching the name on the back of the CPU RB's jersey. It honestly felt a little overwhelming at times, but I imagine that's similar to how an NFL coach might feel after a difficult Sunday.

3) dfos81's Normal/All Pro/Realism Sliders - last modified 11/5/11

highly recommend reading dfos81's first post of the thread. Tweaks to these sliders are still ongoing, which means you should keep an eye on these going forward. There is so much good information in there that hardcore football heads and longtime Madden gamers alike will enjoy reading the information provided. 

One of the great things about this thread is that you are provided with multiple slider sets within the first post including high-end, hardcore, medium and base level sets. The testing on these started back in September and you can certainly feel the work that has gone into these. As dfos81 ran test after test, made youtube videos of his findings and "labbed" in the actual game to try out different variables, the work has proven fruitful for us gamers. 

This might be the most complete slider set on OS to be honest. One of the big differences in dfos81's slider philosophy and others is the idea of "equal based sliders". This means, in layman's terms, that the sliders should be the same for the User and the CPU. Coaching schemes are provided for better balance with these sliders as well as a great explanation on the speed threshold slider. The latest All-Pro v2 set plays very well for me.[/b]

4) KBLover's M12 Experimental Sliders, 2nd Experiment - last modified 11/3/11

Don't be put off by the name of this slider set. These may be called experimental, but they create a great improvement over the game out of the box. This slider set is actually three different sets with two allowing for All-Pro level and another for All-Madden. KBLover has attempted to use a slight variation of real NFL averages and custom algorithms to create a more ratings driven game and minimize the flaws with Madden 12's gameplay engines. The "feel" with these sliders is pretty good. I found blitzing particularly risky even using the All-Pro version of the sliders. 

KBLover recommends using coaching sliders with these in franchise mode and I agree. I enjoyed reading the first post (and subsequent posts) and learned a little something along the way. I recommend you give these a look if you're reading this piece.[/b]

5) Playmakers' Madden 12 Custom Sliders - last modified 10/25/11

I know what you're thinking. Did he list this one twice by accident? Run out of good slider sets? No not at all. What I have done is include Playmakers' Custom Sliders that were developed before he went to the 'Hybrid 0' sliders. They are on the same page as the hybrid sliders, under the dashed line in the first post. 

Before trying Playmakers' hybrid set, I was using his base custom set. These played a very good game of football with many of the same characteristics mentioned in his hybrid 0 set. QB Accuracy was the most obvious change in this set. I personally feel that the human run game and pass rush were improved in the hybrid set, but these are still extremely playable and fun! I rolled with these for quite a while, so I felt I had to include them on this list. You won't find any glaring flaws with these in my opinion.[/b]

Final Thoughts 

As you can see, Operation Sports is the platform for so much of the great work that goes on to get a more simulation experience from Madden 12 using sliders. OS is the go-to place for those looking for ways to improve the experience and slider makers like the ones above make the forums a must read for fans of sports gaming.

What say you OS, was someone snubbed? Who's set do you run with this year?

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 schnaidt1 @ 11/10/11 04:34 PM
cant help but feel slightly ripped off. kb lovers post only has 5k views and 1 vote.

between my 2 recent posts i have over 20k views and several votes equalling a 4star rating.

not saying i should be in the top 5 necessarily.

just feel like based on the community. mines more viewed and used. and liked...

# 2 Armor and Sword @ 11/10/11 07:35 PM
I ran with Playmakers for 2 seasons in my Dolphins franchise and they were very smooth and really top notch. The only thing that made me go awa from them is no fault of his.

I was too good to play on All-Pro. Even with some house rules (no switch, no verticals) I was starting to feel too in control and never felt I could be beat by the CPU.

So I went and tried a few All-Madden based custom sliders and found Blue Ninja's to be perfect for me.

If your looking for All-Pro Playmakers are easily the best. And he get's a ton of great animations out of them. For All-Madden I am loving Blue Ninja's big time and I am really having all I can handle with them from the CPU.

One thing I love about All-Madden is the CPU QB's are far better and you get a great variety of passes. Bullet, touch, out's, in's deep routes. A big challenge for sure.

# 3 DJ @ 11/10/11 08:43 PM
Playmakers' set is a lot to take in. There's so many posts in that thread, that's it can be hard to get correct information. Also, I found the chart a little hard to read. It is an interesting idea, though, to give Madden some life.

I think that's one of the things that I'm struggling with the most this year is locking in on a good slider set. I was able to do this in NCAA without too much hassle (not sure how that happened), but with Madden, I can't find that sweet spot.

# 4 Blitzburgh @ 11/10/11 08:57 PM
Where are the hybrid 0 sliders? I couldn't find them in all the clutter! lol Thanks

# 5 Playmakers @ 11/10/11 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Playmakers' set is a lot to take in. There's so many posts in that thread, that's it can be hard to get correct information. Also, I found the chart a little hard to read. It is an interesting idea, though, to give Madden some life.

I think that's one of the things that I'm struggling with the most this year is locking in on a good slider set. I was able to do this in NCAA without too much hassle (not sure how that happened), but with Madden, I can't find that sweet spot.
This is a surprising thread and nice read.....i know they did something like this for NCAA Football but I had no idea they were doing this Madden.

In regards to my sliders the Front Page are the settings you use.

you set the sliders up exactly the way you see them listed accept the QBA settings and WR catch settings they are listed in a link on the Front Page for each QB in Madden. You don't have to do anything accept put in the numbers you see posted within that link on the 3rd post

It's really not hard the CPU QB + WR Catch slider will always equal 100 those are the same total points that you get out of the box at 50/50....If you put in the CPU settings and you see that the QBA + WR Catch slider combined together doesn' equal 100 then you know you've done something wrong.

For example using the base setting you'll see it says QBA-22/WR Catch-78 that equals 100 for the CPU.....The Human settings would be QBA-22/WR Catch-54 you can simply play with those settings without worrying about the QBA Chart.

I just used a QBA setting for each QB to give you that total in a different way based on the CPU QB's accuarcy ratings assigned by EA's default rosters

If your reading the thread then yes it can get confusing because the thread is probably the larget thread of them all.....But the actual settings that are being used are always up to date on the Front Page regardless of what is happening or being said within the thread the Front Page is always where you'll find the actual gameplay settings

# 6 enyc718 @ 11/11/11 08:15 AM
Good read!

# 7 Jarodd21 @ 11/11/11 11:30 AM
Appreciate the write up on my sets. Just trying to provide a great experience for gamers like myself and thanks to all the guys who used my sets. Your feedback helped me perfect all 3 sets.

# 8 ukslamjam @ 11/11/11 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
This is a surprising thread and nice read.....i know they did something like this for NCAA Football but I had no idea they were doing this Madden.

you set the sliders up exactly the way you see them listed accept the QBA settings and WR catch settings they are listed in a link on the Front Page for each QB in Madden. You don't have to do anything accept put in the numbers you see posted within that link on the 3rd post

It's really not hard the CPU QB + WR Catch slider will always equal 100 those are the same total points that you get out of the box at 50/50....If you put in the CPU settings and you see that the QBA + WR Catch slider combined together doesn' equal 100 then you know you've done something wrong.

For example using the base setting you'll see it says QBA-22/WR Catch-78 that equals 100 for the CPU.....The Human settings would be QBA-22/WR Catch-54 you can simply play with those settings without worrying about the QBA Chart.

I just used a QBA setting for each QB to give you that total in a different way based on the CPU QB's accuarcy ratings assigned by EA's default rosters

If your reading the thread then yes it can get confusing because the thread is probably the larget thread of them all.....But the actual settings that are being used are always up to date on the Front Page regardless of what is happening or being said within the thread the Front Page is always where you'll find the actual gameplay settings
So if I'm the Eagles (Vick) Vs the Rams (Bradford) do I use the following settings.

Me Vick (QBA - 12, WR - 64)

Cpu Bradford (QBA - 14, WR - 86)

Sorry if I sound dumb but I've only just picked up the game again and wanted to start my franchise with the Eagles.

# 9 ukslamjam @ 11/11/11 12:36 PM
Sorry I meant

Cpu Bradford (QBA - 86, WR - 14)

# 10 KBLover @ 11/11/11 11:42 PM
Shocked I made the cut.

Guess I'm not just the crazy guy in the corner. Or the Ron Paul of slider-makers.

# 11 Jarodd21 @ 11/12/11 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Shocked I made the cut.

Guess I'm not just the crazy guy in the corner. Or the Ron Paul of slider-makers.
You deserved it man. I'm suprised Blue Ninja didn't make the cut. He had a decent amount of people using his set.

# 12 troy184 @ 11/12/11 11:22 AM
Ya, I love the Blue Ninja sliders. I have been using them for a month and my games have been intense. Just finished an **** 38-35 game with the 49ers over the Cowboys and followed that up with a 23-16 win over Cinci. I love the challenge and accurate statistics his sliders provide.

# 13 Blue Ninja @ 11/12/11 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
You deserved it man. I'm suprised Blue Ninja didn't make the cut. He had a decent amount of people using his set.
I'm just happy there are more than 30,000 views on my sliders and being able to share my sliders set with people man All of you guys deserve it to be on the list. I respect you all slider gurus out there truly. Spending all those countless hours to help people out. Coaching scheme thread is very interesting. I thought it was more of just a "tendency" of how a coach would build a team(such as pass rushing LBs for 3-4 teams, cover corner for man-based defense and physical corners for cover 2 based scheme etc..) but from I've read on that thread it seems a lot more than that so I might have to jump on the bandwagon and hopefully help out(been pretty busy lately ). With all that said, I'm just happy to be able to help people enjoy madden and be recognized by many people.

# 14 KBLover @ 11/12/11 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ninja
I'm just happy there are more than 30,000 views on my sliders and being able to share my sliders set with people man All of you guys deserve it to be on the list. I respect you all slider gurus out there truly. Spending all those countless hours to help people out. Coaching scheme thread is very interesting. I thought it was more of just a "tendency" of how a coach would build a team(such as pass rushing LBs for 3-4 teams, cover corner for man-based defense and physical corners for cover 2 based scheme etc..) but from I've read on that thread it seems a lot more than that so I might have to jump on the bandwagon and hopefully help out(been pretty busy lately ). With all that said, I'm just happy to be able to help people enjoy madden and be recognized by many people.
I need to get around to trying yours. Now that it looks like I'll have my PS3 working *crosses fingers, doing a data back up now* along with internet for at least a while I'm at the hotel, I can get back to playing some M12 and will have to make a note to give yours a shot.

I liked Jarrod's, PMs (though I need to try his newest) and dfos (need his newest too), might even need to move up to his midtier sliders - eager to try yours.

# 15 KBLover @ 11/12/11 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
KB! You gotta give my latest Equal Sliders with the Coaching Scheme updates a run or 2.. Pancakes, animations, its all coming together.

I used your videos to help me w/ the Priority/Style and how the proximity works with them too. I noticed the same things while I was testing and had to update mine last night and I lost on Equal based sliders! Each team had 2 pancakes a piece too!

Hope all is well for you.
Equal sliders, eh? I like the sound of that already. I always think equal is a good place to start.

I'm inputting them now and will start a new franchise with updated rosters. Think I'll make it a 32-team franchise but let the AI do stuff itself - I just want access to the coaching sliders since Tarantism (sp) has put out a spreadsheet with his findings.

# 16 Blue Ninja @ 11/12/11 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Equal sliders, eh? I like the sound of that already. I always think equal is a good place to start.

I'm inputting them now and will start a new franchise with updated rosters. Think I'll make it a 32-team franchise but let the AI do stuff itself - I just want access to the coaching sliders since Tarantism (sp) has put out a spreadsheet with his findings.
yea man let me know what you think!

I also do have a ps3 that no longer works, the lazor eye(whatever you call it, its the one that reads disk) but ever other parts are still good(I did have a surgery on my ps3 so not guaranteed but I'm pretty sure it isn't damaged) so if you need parts I'll just give it to you(fellow slider guru discount).

# 17 DJ @ 11/13/11 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

OK, thanks PM.

Just to be clear, what I do is use the chart to set both the HUM and CPU QB Acc. and WR Catch sliders, but when in Franchise Mode, the CPU sliders will change week-to-week, based on what team you are playing?

# 18 coach422001 @ 12/30/11 12:05 PM
Love posts like these. There are so many slider sets out there that can provide a different gameplay experience, it is great to see what has been successful and get responses from the creators to help answer some nagging questions without having to find it in a 20 page thread. Greatly appreciate everything these folks (and others who didn't make the cut) have done. Also a post like this gets you right to the sliders that pique your interest. Great job and thanks to everyone who tries to make the game a more enjoyable experience!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.