Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K12: Rebuilding the Cavaliers

It may seem daunting, but rebuilding the Cleveland Cavaliers is not an impossible task.

Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson are a good start. These two young talents from Duke and Texas, respectively, are a nice jumping off point for the post-Lebron era in Cleveland.

Irving may have only played 12 games with Duke, but if not for the 19-year-old rule, he would have been a top five pick out of high school. A very good shooter who can also drive, Irving should be able to take command of this Cavs team relatively soon. As for Thompson, he has the potential to be a fine forward in the NBA. He should benefit greatly under the tutelage of Cavs starting power forward Antawn Jamison.

This year teams have an Amnesty (aka buyer's remorse) Clause, which allow teams to wipe one contract off the books. The Cavs decided to use it on Baron Davis, which frees up 28 million over the next two years and puts the team 7 million under the salary cap for this year. Davis showed that he can still go last season, but being injured, this was definitely the right call.

The Cavaliers also acquired little known forward Omri Casspi from the Sacramento Kings for JJ Hickson. This could end up being a great trade for the Cavs in the short term. Casspi shot over 60 percent from behind the line when shooting from the corners, which was by far the best in the NBA. Speaking of high 3-point field goal percentages, the Cavs have also resigned Anthony Parker. He brings a great veteran presence to the team which is what they will need when it comes to tutoring the young players they have and will have in the future.

Players like Christian Eyenga, and Samardo Samuels are not going to get you to the playoffs, nor are they a long term answer.  The free agent market could be used for some help plugging holes, but at the same time giving you a chance to win some games. A solid free agent that could help would be a player the real Cavs released this year, and that would be Joey Graham. Graham has a nice B+ outside shooting rating in the game. This would give the Cavs a number of talented marksmen on the court.

What it all comes down to in my opinion is the draft, with a good set of Draft Class rosters. Even with the signings and draft picks, you should end up with another great pick in next year’s draft. My personal preference would have to be the virtual equivalent of Jered Sullinger from The Ohio State University. Not much needs to be said about him. He will be a baller for sure.

Other than Sullinger, some other hot draft prospects that could help this team would be Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb from UConn. Either of these super talented players could go number one overall. Let’s hope the Cavs aren’t in that position again. If not, a more realistic approach would be getting someone like Austin Rivers from Duke or Meyers Leonard from Illinois. I would personally like to see Meyers Leonard as a Cavalier. The team needs a dominant center again.

The fact of the matter is, we can speculate all day. Having to rebuild the Cavs is not going to be an easy task. I could see the virtual Cavs being competitive in the 2012-13 season, and even playoff bound the year after. 

If you are a Cleveland fan, or just want a monumental challenge, get that association going and let us know how it all shakes out.

Which franchise do you think is the toughest challenge to rebuild in NBA 2K12?

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 fatleg3 @ 12/29/11 02:30 PM
Yes I like this better then managing the Heat which takes little effort. Im sure Otis Smith can manage the Heat.

My first move would be to get rid of Varejo (spelling?). He is just one of those type of players that you just hate for some reason. The only thing I see him doing is flopping all the time. I would package him with one of the guards and go after a SG that is a pure shooter for Irving to kick it out to. Someone like a JJ Reddick

My second move I would try to trade Jameson (Spelling?) for a defensive big, or a SF that can handle the ball. Like a Hedo Turkoglu type player. I just have never been a fan of Jameson. This will help take advantage of Kyrie's shooting ability and he can move without the ball and use screens to get open.

Other then that I dont thin the Cavs have the pieces to trade to help make them a decent team. Lucky for the Cavs though, all you need is money in 2k12 to sigh free agents because like Noah say, "Who wants to go to Cleveland? Would you go on vacation in Cleveland?" lol. So luckly the Cavs can build through free agency. I would look to pick up more scoring options in the FA pool. Through the draft I would look to pick up role players, and defense. No doubt you will have a lottery pick also.

# 2 pgiallourakis @ 12/29/11 02:54 PM
I traded Sessions and Jamison for Eric Gordon and Emeka Okafer. You can keep Okafer or flip him to the Kings for a 2nd rd pick and Travis Outlaw to get cap space.

# 3 LashaunAllen @ 12/29/11 03:09 PM
Detroit Pistons

# 4 poloelite @ 12/29/11 03:17 PM
Being from Cleveland, every year I take on the task of rebuilding the Cavs. So far I've made two small money signings that make sense and leaves me with flexibility for the future. I signed Ohio native Michael Redd as my backup SG and Cleveland native James Posey as my backup SF. I think I will have enough cap space to sign a max free agent (if I see fit) and I will try to stock pile picks by trading veterans (Andy and Jamison). I hope to add Harrison Barnes or Perry Jones through the draft next year and sign another wing talent (mad JR Smith isn't in the game). In my first game I destroyed the Celtics by 15 due to the outside shooting from Casspi, Redd, Jamison and Parker. Irving's penetration opened everything up and Thompson and Andy owned the glass. Luckily 2k doesn't add in player bias or big market lure, so I should have a good chance of snagging a top 5 pick and a free agent to add some scoring for next year. I'm gunning for 7th or 8th seed this year at least. Just have to play our uptempo style.

# 5 ATLMIATEX @ 12/29/11 03:19 PM
Toronto Raptors. Only one player with a 70+ rating

# 6 Cavsfan4life @ 12/29/11 04:52 PM
Its not that hard to rebuild the Cavs. Only thing I disagree with about the article is Eyenga and Samuels being long term answers for the team. In my third season, Eyenga has a 69 OVR, he starts for me at the 2, a lot like Thabo for the Thunder. Samuels is a 71 OVR and is the first big off the bench for me. Gives me some inside scoring and a big body in the paint, he plays like a more athletic version of big baby.

When I started, I traded the players I didnt want for picks. Jamison and Sessions for Okafur and their 1st round pick, and Andy to the Spurs for their first round pick. Both these trades freed up playing time for players like Boobie, Samuels, and Eyenga.
My starting 5 then was Irving, Eyenga, Caspi, Thompson, Okafur. AP, Samuels, Gee, and Hollins makes up the second unit.
After two drafts my starting 5 is Irving, Eyenga, Barnes, Thompson, and Drummond. OJ Mayo, Samuels, and Boobie make up the majority of the second unit.

# 7 oldman @ 12/29/11 08:48 PM
I am a Thunder fan first and foremost, but every year I get the most enjoyment out of rebuilding an organization. This year I haven't started my rebuilding yet but I have narrowed it down to 3 teams: the Bobcats, Nets or the Cavs.

# 8 keshunleon @ 12/29/11 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiallourakis
I traded Sessions and Jamison for Eric Gordon and Emeka Okafer. You can keep Okafer or flip him to the Kings for a 2nd rd pick and Travis Outlaw to get cap space.
This trade isn't fair at all commissioner David Stern should have this!

I can see Sessions for Okafer and a 2nd..

# 9 karavalvin @ 12/29/11 09:17 PM
In my opinion the Bobcats are the toughest to rebuild. Kemba is a good young piece. Biyombo is years away. A lot of contracts no one wants. Augustin is a good piece to trade but doesn't get you much. I should mention I only do trades if I consider them fair...because lets be honest the trade logic in 2K12 is absurd. Raptors are not that bad to rebuild. Davis, Derozan, Bayless and Bargnani are all young and bound to improve. Barbosa is actually a good trade piece. I was able to trade him and a 2nd rounder for Wes Johnson who I turned into a SF and I was instantly more competitive. Nets aren't that hard either because you have PG and C locked up and Humpries actually is a good PF. Marshon Brooks shows potential at the 2. Just have to find a SF for them. Anyway I'm rambling, sorry about that, mind starts to wander at the possibilities.

# 10 cincy14fan @ 12/29/11 11:31 PM
Always play as the Cav's. First year did terrible with Cleveland. Usually get rid of people I can't stand so first traded Jameson for a first round draft pick.

Liked how well Arenas played in my online dynasty (using the Cavs as well) that i picked him up. It was short lived when he was then traded to the Suns for Steve Nash (I didn't offer the computer did). Took it and then traded him for another first round draft pick right before the trade deadline. Also as it ended I traded Thompson, 2nd round draft pick, another bench player, and my first round draft pick for next year for Kevin Love and their first round this year.

Getting ready to go in the off-season and looks like I will have the first overall pick for how terrible I did, but also should have two other top 15 picks as well so at least next year we will be young and quick.

I will agree with cavsfan4life. It is very easy to rebuild with the Cav's. If I would of keep Nash I went on a 4 game win streak with him at the helm and probably would of had a better record overall. Plus with the Cav's you get a lot of trade pieces as well to start off.

# 11 Tweeg @ 12/29/11 11:47 PM
I've been thinking the last few days of Cavs or Bobcats as my rebuild. Although I like the Cavs, they seem a little too gift-wrapped to rebuild. I'm not one of these guys that goes straight in and starts trading people away. I'm going with the regular roster until the trade deadline, and then I will see what happens.

With the Cavs you could probably easily deal Jamison to a contender for an extra pick or a half decent young player. You could also deal Varejao to a contender for something worthwhile. All of that to surround Irving and Thompson, who are packed with potential.

The Bobcats seem like an entirely different animal. I personally like Tyrus Thomas, but he's only average. Kemba is the only piece worthwhile in the immediate future and the long term. I would have a hard time justifying a trade involving any other players on the roster for a decent player.

The only thing stopping me from jumping right into a Bobcats franchise is how incredibly dull it sounds to play as Corey Magette, Diaw, Gerald Henderson, Diop and company.

# 12 cincy14fan @ 12/30/11 01:41 AM
Tthe Cav's are too gift-wrapped to easily do stuff. I could of easily had 4 players over 80 overall on the team, but I tried to keep it a little more realistic. With no Jamison I needed a good power forward and without Thompson giving me no option (maybe it was just me using him) I was surprised that I easily got him that well. Got very lucky in the draft where had 3 picks for the top 15 with two of them having 2.1 percent. Somehow got the first two picks in the draft and 14th. I am assuming since LBJ left game felt bad and allowed me with one pick to get the second pick overall. Had my chance to pick up Paul as a FA, but decided to stick with what I got. Irving won R.O.T.Y. as well.

Heading into the new season this is what my team looks like.

PG Irving 81 ovr
SG Lamp 77 ovr (first overall pick)
SF Derrick Brown 73 ovr
PF Sullinger 78 ovr (second overall pick)
C Love 84 ovr

Bench is Gibson, Parker, Varejao, Verne (2nd round pick), Hollins, Eyenga, and Samuels

# 13 HMcCoy @ 12/30/11 01:55 AM
We ball...AS-IS!!!! #truecavsfanatic

# 14 Preo32 @ 12/30/11 03:11 AM
Yeah, Cavs are built ok to be solid in a few years. Trading pieces and young players who develop well. Ive learned with my Raptors franchise its not as easy, when with the rosters I have I got Bargnani and DeRozan as 71s, and thats my highest rating. And I probably wouldn't trade them, especially DeRozan, so for me it's about clearing cap space and getting draft picks so that I can hope to get some talent for year 2

# 15 Shelb @ 12/30/11 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
Yes I like this better then managing the Heat which takes little effort. Im sure Otis Smith can manage the Heat.

My first move would be to get rid of Varejo (spelling?). He is just one of those type of players that you just hate for some reason. The only thing I see him doing is flopping all the time. I would package him with one of the guards and go after a SG that is a pure shooter for Irving to kick it out to. Someone like a JJ Reddick

My second move I would try to trade Jameson (Spelling?) for a defensive big, or a SF that can handle the ball. Like a Hedo Turkoglu type player. I just have never been a fan of Jameson. This will help take advantage of Kyrie's shooting ability and he can move without the ball and use screens to get open.
First move: Trade defensive big for dime a dozen player.
Second move: Trade for a defensive big.

# 16 fatleg3 @ 12/30/11 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelb
First move: Trade defensive big for dime a dozen player.
Second move: Trade for a defensive big.
Because I dont like Varejo. Like I said I hate him as a player and cant stand to watch him play irl. They way I would do it, I still have everything that I like to play with. A good PG that can shoot and handle the ball, a wing player that can also be my backup PG if need be, a SF that can shoot and handle the ball also, and a defensive C. I will then pick up a low post player through the draft or FA. This works perfectly for ME.

# 17 Steven123 @ 12/30/11 10:33 AM
I feel that free agency should have some focus since alot of people will use different draft classes, I'm particular to those fantasy draft classes. As for FA, whether its in March when the Chinese league is over or in the summer, both Wilson Chandler and JR Smith should be looked at. If these overseas players are allowed to come back in March, the Cavs have the advantage of offering these players more money if they keep their roster as is. If it's the summer, they will still have alot of money to spend. I would suggest in taking a chance in Wilson Chandler, he has the athleticism, can play defense, and can score from anywhere on the court.

I also believe that trading away Antwan Jamison is a huge step the Cavs need to take, he's still a good player but is eating 22 million( if I remember right), finding teams willing to take his contract may be hard. Maybe trading for a big that only eats up half of that, and a couple of throw ins. Emeka Okafer comes to mind, his importance suddenly became less once NO acquired Chris Kaman, a Jamison and Kaman front court sounds very good to me while giving your presence in the middle. Again, you're have to work out the fine details to make the salaries work. I wouldn't mind keeping Varajao for another year to come off the bench at the 4 or 5

# 18 Cavsfan4life @ 12/30/11 11:44 AM
I usually want to keep Andy, but after a season his rating goes does and that lowers his trade value. Andy is valuable though to any team; rebounds, can defend the pick and roll, solid post defender, and can score around the rim. If I was already contending I wouldnt have traded him.

Jamison only makes $15 million, big amount to work with when doing trades. The Cavs having Irving and Thompson along with two high picks makes the rebuild a lot easier. I had chances to trade for Hibbert with giving up either of those players because I wanted to build through the draft. If you want a 3 that can handle, you can trade for him or wait for the draft(which I did). Irving and Thompson develop into solid players from their 1st to 2nd year.

I guess you can say Im going with the OKC model, build through the draft and trades while preserving cap space.

# 19 Undead @ 12/30/11 01:41 PM
The most impossible team to rebuild is Toronto Raptors. Good luck with them. They have no real talent whatsoever.

# 20 ama3599 @ 12/30/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiallourakis
Thats one of the most unrealistic trades ever

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.