Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 12 Ratings: Winners and Losers

Let’s face it, Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson, aka CJ2K, stunk this season. The back was more like CJ2Lame.

In the past, such dips in production in real life were not reflected on the virtual gridiron of Madden. Recently, however, EA Sports has done a good job tinkering with player ratings each week in its flagship sports title. As happens each Sunday, some players get better while others regress.

With the regular season over and approximately 17 roster updates here and gone, let’s take a look at some of the players who made the biggest rating jumps — and dips — from the first to the final roster update in Madden 12.

Biggest Bumps

Victor Cruz, WR, N.Y. Giants
Original Overall: 61
Current Overall: 87
Cruz burst onto the scene this season after being a non-factor, in real life and in Madden, last season. His biggest rating bump came in awareness, where he jumped from a 42 to a 76. He’s been so good Madden developers are probably hard at work motion capturing his salsa dance TD celebration for Madden 13.

Antonio Brown, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 83
Like Cruz, Brown has come out of seemingly nowhere to became a go-to pass catcher. In Madden, he is best in the slot where he can use his much-improved speed, agility and acceleration ratings to rack up the YAC.

Fred Jackson, RB, Buffalo Bills
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 92
Before an injury cut his season short, Jackson was piling up yardage in the running game as well as the passing game for the Bills. The Buffalo offense wasn’t the same after he was lost for the season. Jackson was barely average before his emergence this season; C.J. Spiller was a much better play at the RB position in Madden. Jackson, though, saw large increases in his important ratings, including an eye-popping 30-point bump in his elusiveness rating.

Roy Helu, RB, Washington Redskins
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 79
The Redskin back showed his value on Sundays and saw some massive rating increases on Thursdays.

Jordy Nelson, WR, Green Bay Packers
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 89
Nelson has been buoyed by the passing genius of Aaron Rodgers and all the weapons surrounding him in the Packers’ attack. Nelson, though, has made the most of his opportunities and is now a downright stud in Madden.
All of his key receiving ratings have received healthy bumps, but his catch in traffic and release ratings each got a 10-plus point bump.

Alex Smith, QB, San Francisco 49ers
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 85
Sense a trend here? Most of the players who have received the biggest bumps are on playoff teams. There’s a reason for that — Madden rewards winners.

Smith came into the season wondering if he would even be a 49er, let alone a starter. Now he is one of the most efficient signal callers in the league. HisMadden rating have reflected that change as he received significant accuracy increases.

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers
Original Overall:
No one really knew what to expect from the Heisman Trophy winner and No. 1 overall pick entering the season. His poor preseason didn’t help much, but he instantly proved he could play at a high level and his ratings received significant boosts from the start. Newton played better as the season went on and he topped out with mighty ratings increases in all three accuracy categories and awareness.

Biggest Dumps

Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee Titans
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 89
It could have been worse for Johnson if not for a late-season resurgence.
Johnson saw his biggest rating drop in Madden in trucking, which in reality was probably too high at 80 anyway, but dipped all the way down to a 59 by season’s end.

Peyton Hillis, RB, Cleveland Browns
Original Overall:
Even Hillis believes in the Madden cover jinx now. Injuries slowed him down quite a bit this season, as well as his poor attitude.

Hines Ward, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers
Original Overall:
Current Overall: 79
Ward’s best days are long gone. He was barely used down the stretch by the Steelers. The only reason he was even on the field at all was because he was chasing 1,000 career receptions. His ratings in Madden dipped significantly -- speed and agility ratings in particular. Apparently, Ward caught MaddenAlzheimer’s and lost more than 10 awareness points.

99 Club

Antonio Gates, Darrelle Revis, Troy Polamalu and Tom Brady each started the season with an overall rating of 99 in Madden, but only Brady finished the season in the 99 Club.

Brady as well as Adrian Peterson, DeMarcus Ware, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Shane Lechler (yes, a punter) finished the season in that exclusive club.

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 cusefan74 @ 01/17/12 01:36 PM
I think these are pretty good except maybe Ward and Hillis could have dropped a little more.

# 2 RogueHominid @ 01/17/12 03:01 PM
Shane Lechler is flat-out amazing. I bet he could be a good place kicker too if needed.

# 3 MR BRYANNT @ 01/17/12 03:19 PM
Demarco Murry Bumped from 69 to 84...thats pretty big...

# 4 adembroski @ 01/17/12 03:34 PM
Andy Lee > Shane Lechler, he should be a 99

# 5 EmmittSmithx22x @ 01/17/12 04:04 PM
Demarcus Ware should be rated 100ovr..... just my opinion.... coming from a completely unbiased cowboy fan....

# 6 Blitz1942 @ 01/17/12 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I have to agree with this. Lechler's amazing, but Lee is just terrific.

I also feel Tim Masthay is quite underrated for how he's punted this year.

# 7 at23steelers @ 01/17/12 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
Oh come on now Aj... Don't be a 49ers homer lol
Agreed, I've never met a more biased homer in my life!! I think Lechler should be the highest rated punter. Don't forget about Koch too!

# 8 juggalotusx @ 01/17/12 05:22 PM
I think Alex smith needs the clutch trait now and throws balls away. Also aldon smith need the high motor trait to yes.

# 9 bmj2k7 @ 01/17/12 06:22 PM
What about Gronk and Hernandez. Gronk went from 84 to 96 tied for best TE and probably will be 98 on this new update after 3 TDs last week. Hernandez was around 80 and know hes a 88 and probably a 91 this week, after his running and receiving skills get a boost from him doing both last week against Denver.

# 10 Calipup @ 01/17/12 06:36 PM
Jordy Nelson is an 89? That just seems way to high. From all the plays I have seem him make, seems like a 1 catch per game guy with that catch being 60+ yards and for a TD. 89 seems way too high, should be more like a 83.

# 11 raidertiger @ 01/17/12 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

# 12 pegout @ 01/17/12 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipup
Jordy Nelson is an 89? That just seems way to high. From all the plays I have seem him make, seems like a 1 catch per game guy with that catch being 60+ yards and for a TD. 89 seems way too high, should be more like a 83.
Jordy Nelson681,26318.69315
Greg Jennings6794914.2799
Jermichael Finley5576713.9418

thats why hes rated a 89

# 13 camelworm @ 01/17/12 07:38 PM
Mind you, this is coming from a 49er fan, but Andy Lee is definitely in the same league as Lechler. Both deserve to be in the high 90s. If I had to say one outperformed the other this year, it's Lee. Only punter with an average of 50 yards per punt this year, and he also got more inside the 20 than Lechler.

What about Navorro Bowman & Ray McDonald on the 49ers? I can imagine that they must've been huge movers this season, and if they weren't, Madden wasn't paying attention. My copy of Madden is coming in the mail still, so I'll check then. I think Bowman is currently a high 80s overall? I assume he started lower than that. (And if I had my say, he would be in the 90s after outperforming Willis. I'd put McDonald in the high 80s at least as well).

# 14 RAVENOUS @ 01/17/12 08:01 PM
Torrey Smith 69 --> 78. Only a bump of 9, but he plays like a beast, at least for me. Seems to always break at least one tackle, and catch (particularly in traffic) better than he actually does. Oh, and he goes up to an 86 after one year, 92 after two, can go up or down from there depending how you do in the third season (I've seen him go up to 95 and down to 90). Also they make him a 98 rated returner, I'm not sure how accurately that correlates to real life I don't think he had any returns at all this year IRL.

# 15 EHS_25 @ 01/17/12 08:11 PM
Jordy Nelson is rated higher than Victor Cruz??? hmm... yeah i dont think so.

# 16 raidertiger @ 01/17/12 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelworm
Mind you, this is coming from a 49er fan, but Andy Lee is definitely in the same league as Lechler. Both deserve to be in the high 90s. If I had to say one outperformed the other this year, it's Lee. Only punter with an average of 50 yards per punt this year, and he also got more inside the 20 than Lechler.

What about Navorro Bowman & Ray McDonald on the 49ers? I can imagine that they must've been huge movers this season, and if they weren't, Madden wasn't paying attention. My copy of Madden is coming in the mail still, so I'll check then. I think Bowman is currently a high 80s overall? I assume he started lower than that. (And if I had my say, he would be in the 90s after outperforming Willis. I'd put McDonald in the high 80s at least as well).
Andy Lee is good, but a 97 is perfect for him. Lechler has a case for best P of all time.

# 17 Champion8877 @ 01/17/12 08:22 PM
if brady is a 99 then brees and rodgers should be atleast 100

# 18 PGaither84 @ 01/17/12 10:21 PM
What is with the obsession with OVR ratings? Seriously... they don't mean anything. Look at the individual ratings.

What is sad is that players abilities are often manipulated to alter their overall rather than giving them a true rating. It's sad really.

# 19 bmj2k7 @ 01/17/12 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion8877
if brady is a 99 then brees and rodgers should be atleast 100
Well Brady is the only one left of those 3 QBs you just named and set a NFL record with 5 TDs in a half and tied the record for TDs in a game with 6!!! And honestly it could have been 8-10 if it wasn't for a early INT and fumble plus the just kept running the entire 2nd half bc the game was already over!!!! And if his DLine plays the way they did last week, and BAL average QB look worse than he is NE will be in the SB for Brady 5TH time, if I had to choose a playoff QB it would be Brady everytime. How is Greg Jennings not on the biggest losers bc he was just plain bad this year. Idk how Nelson is higher than 1500+ yards Cruz?

# 20 seanyboy116 @ 01/18/12 03:16 AM
ther is no arguin who the best punter in the nfl.... Shane Obviously

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.