Home
Feature Article
Five Things NCAA Football 13 Must Do For Success

For years, the NCAA Football series has sold well and enjoyed great reviews.

But this year, it feels like the tides of public opinion have shifted, and a series that once seemed immune to criticism is now subject to a growing wave of discontent. It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes in the OS forums to see that dedicated sports gamers have a whole laundry list of complaints and suggestions.

In this article, I discuss five things that the NCAA Football 13 team could do to restore gamers’ faith in the series.

Let's just put it this way, NCAA Football 12 -- you won't be looked as a high point of the franchise.

Fix CPU defense

Yes, I’m beating a dead horse here, but there’s a reason that the CPU’s defense is so frequently maligned. Super linebackers and psychic defensive backs absolutely ruin the passing game. When CPU corners and safeties have eyes in the back of their heads, the deep passing game is devoid of any realism. Separation doesn’t really matter, and neither does reading the movements of the CPU DB’s. Instead, you’re stuck running screens, slants, and seam routes, while many of the routes in the game almost never work. Plus, doesn’t it seem like your No. 1 and No. 2 receivers are always blanketed, while your slot receivers are almost always open?

Only compounding the defensive problems is the fact that when you try to fool the CPU, it often won’t work because they know your play

Add variety to recruiting

When Madden added sleepers and busts to draft classes, it might have seemed like a subtle change. But to seasoned franchise mode players, sleepers and busts added a level of complexity and realism to the mode that had never before existed. In the world of college football, where three-star recruits can win the Heisman and many five-star recruits never start, it’s a shame that the NCAA series doesn’t include more variety in player ratings. 

There’s no real thought required in recruiting; instead, you can just target the players with the highest star ratings and be relatively certain that you’re getting the best players. In real life, though, we all know that low-rated recruits often blossom into superstar players. That’s not really possible in the NCAA series, as all players improve at roughly the same rate, and their stats appear to have little impact on how quickly they progress.

Adding sleepers and busts would encourage players to stop blindly adding the top-rated players to their boards and instead look closely at their individual ratings, combing through lower-rated players to find overlooked gems.

Recruiting is stale, predictable and bland.

In addition, recruits are even handled poorly post-signing. It’s strange that there is no option to enter practice mode before you have to decide whether or not to redshirt a player, and that using a redshirted player in practice mode during the season burns their redshirt. That’s not how college football works. 

There is a host of other problems with recruiting, including “athletes” that can only really play one position and the incredible difficulty of signing a fullback with a 6-star program. But adding sleepers and busts, as well as an under-the-hood potential ratings would be a massive improvement. 

Finally, why are we still stuck using 70-man rosters? Yes, 70 players is a lot, but a real NCAA team has 85 scholarships to play with and room for walk-ons as well. I don’t like it when a video game has you cutting virtual athletes after a year or two on campus because their ratings aren’t high enough and your roster is too small. Oversigning is a serious problem in college football, and it would be nice if the NCAA series didn’t have an artificially small roster size that basically encourages you to oversign and cut later. 

The atmosphere at college football games doesn't end after the coin toss.

Focus on recreating the college atmosphere

The team-specific entrances that EA introduced for NCAA Football 11 were a nice touch. But that kind of immersion needs to continue past the coin flip. The atmosphere at a big-time college football game is incomparable, so why does the NCAA series feel so flat? A few years ago, these games featured variable crowd noise that had tangible effects on gameplay, including botched audibles, and that little meter on-screen that indicated how crazy the crowd was.

Yes, it was a little gimmicky, but gamers could really feel the energy in notoriously loud stadiums. 

In addition, why not include team-specific chants and in-game traditions? More activity on the sidelines? A less boring crowd? More stat overlays? The return of pre-game predictions? It’s great that gamers can upload their own sounds to play in-game, but that’s a lot of work that most people won’t be willing to do.

EA also needs to do a better job of integrating ESPN-style presentation; they have the license, so why does the game look so different from what we see on television every Saturday? The sights and sounds of college football are amazing, even on television. It’s a shame that so many gamers just put on some music and hit the mute button on NCAA 12.

Improve physics

One of my favorite ways to test a game’s physics is to create a player with extreme ratings and attributes and see how they perform. When you do this in NCAA Football 12, it becomes clear just how poor of a physics engine this game has. If I create a 350-pound halfback with 99 speed, 99 acceleration and 99 strength, I expect him to have enough momentum running with the ball that a 180-pound cornerback can’t just stop him in his tracks.

Watch a college football game – or ANY football game, for that matter, and it’s obvious that weight and strength matter.

But in the NCAA series, they don’t appear to matter much. Using power halfbacks just feels like a waste of time, and 220-pound defensive ends can hold up just fine at the point of attack. Under this physics engine, aside from their speed, most players just feel the same. 

There are still features which we still haven't regained in the NCAA Football franchise.

Be creative and bring back old features

Custom playbooks and the coaching carousel were welcome additions, but not exactly genre-defining features. EA should look to 2K’s example and get creative. Why not bring back classic teams wearing vintage uniforms? One thing the roundly criticized mascot games demonstrate is that EA has the capacity to include a lot of different player models in the game. Why not drop some mascots in favor of old-time players in leather helmets? Also, why are we still unable to make custom plays? The underrated NFL Head Coach 09 had a terrific play editor that allowed for real creativity.

Another great feature in Head Coach 09 was the ability to export a team to use in Madden’s exhibition mode. It’s always frustrating to watch some of your favorite recruits close out their virtual careers, knowing that you’ll never be able to use them again. Imagine, though, being able to export your dynasty mode teams to use in exhibition games, or even take online to play against your friends. This feature would do wonders for the game’s replay value.

Clean up the bugs

Perhaps the most notorious bug in NCAA Football 12 is the “Transfer Failed” issue for online dynasties, which first appeared in the 2011 edition of the game. EA supposedly fixed this – after the college football season ended. Add in the no huddle glitches, problems with custom playbooks, and the extremely annoying player tendency bug, and you’ve got a robust set of glitches that affect core gameplay.

A lot of bugs and issues take some time to detect (like the lack of progression for young scouted players inFIFA 12), but some of the biggest issues with NCAA 12 became apparent after only a few hours with the game. When gamers can identify bugs within a day or two, it creates the impression that the game wasn’t tested enough. Already, many gamers have decided that for them, NCAA 13 won’t be a day one purchase. After last year’s issues, it’s hard to blame them for wanting to wait for a patch.

OS readers, what do you think of these suggestions? What do you want to see in NCAA Football 13?

NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sactown_13 @ 01/30/12 12:36 PM
I couldnt agree more with the crowd noise. I remember on last-gen consoles during mid-play and approaching the endzone the crowd would start to ramp up then bust out when ya crossed the plane. I remember pausing the game and smiling the first time i heard it. It seems to be such a simple thing compared to what games are implementing today. Not sure why this is overlooked every year in both football games.

# 2 DickDalewood @ 01/30/12 12:50 PM
Presentation/atmosphere should absolutely be one of the main focuses this year... this game is in DESPERATE need of some personality.

# 3 Bamafan3723 @ 01/30/12 12:54 PM
NCAA 13 won't be a first day purchase for me, might not be a purchase at all honestly. I can still play NCAA on PS2 and be happy.

# 4 blkrptnt819 @ 01/30/12 01:01 PM
I liked this and the Madden list. I think it touches on obvious things that need to be fixed.

# 5 LambertandHam @ 01/30/12 01:08 PM
Bugs, Bugs, Bugs. It's the only EA sports game I've ever trade in.

# 6 stcloudgopher @ 01/30/12 01:09 PM
When the gameplay is tightened up, I'll be back. I can't sit here and whine about old features being in or not being in. If I saw a custom entrance, it was because I wasn't paying attention to skip it. I could not care less about the bells and whistles at this point. I simply want the game to mimic the actual sport. Too often I watch a game on TV and think, "That's simply not possible in NCAA/Madden." Happens with the 15-yard out, the fade, the spread/triple option, punt return TDs, blocked kicks, missed FGs, dominant defenders, a defender getting run over... (Sigh)

# 7 mestevo @ 01/30/12 01:21 PM
"Custom playbooks and the coaching carousel were welcome additions, but not exactly genre-defining features. "

...followed by 2 paragraphs of things that aren't 'genre-defining' to me. I probably get more from coaching carousel than any other feature in any football game since franchise was added.

# 8 twindaddyj @ 01/30/12 01:28 PM
I do agree with a lot but playing quite a bit I can tell a difference in the RB with power vs speed speciality with pretty much the same stats. The feel is different IMO. I do wish a lot more plays actually worked in the playbook though. I have quite a few but there are tons that just won't work

# 9 BlingBling19 @ 01/30/12 01:46 PM
Presentation/Atmosphere/Stat overlays/CPU D fixes. Those are the 4 things that I hope they fix in the next game.

College games are ridiculously loud but when playing this game it's hardly exciting at all.

# 10 goNAVYbeatarmy @ 01/30/12 01:56 PM
How to make recruiting more challenging. My 2 cents. Recruits should start the year with no stars. After an inital scouting/recruiting phase. The players with the most interest from schools should get the highest stars (which i think how it works with the scouting systems). SO, stars should be based on demand.

Also, coaches should have scouting ratings (A - great eye for talent, F- throw in the dark). You might peg a player high based off scouted ratings, but he might be worse/better when he shows up on campus.

These are what I call recruiting curve-balls that would make recruiting more challenging, realistic, and different. The way it is now, its too clean cut.

# 11 elementz09 @ 01/30/12 01:57 PM
The NCAA and Madden series are starting to become a virtual gaming reality TV series. Nothing really changes in American Idol, Survivor, The Amazing Race, etc. It's the same product with different players and locations. NCAA developers need to go back to the point when not only playing a game was fun and entertaining, but controlling a school was too. Bring back suspensions, pre-game predictions, a deeper RTG mode, make it fun and challenging and not just by boosting tendencies like the super LBs. I can appreciate the challenge of being a real head coach, OC or DC in college football so add some drama to it.

# 12 moneal2001 @ 01/30/12 02:06 PM
head coaches play editor was good, but i remember NCAA 00 or 99 for the PS1 that had an amazing play editor. I remember creating a quad option from the I were you could either hand off to the FB, pitch to the RB, pitch to the WR on a Reverse or keep with the QB. You could even select what direction you wanted players to block like: run block left, middle, or right and same for passing.

# 13 SkillzKillz719 @ 01/30/12 02:12 PM
Please ALL I ask is make me friggin care about my team/ each game.
Do that in the way of atmosphere. I'm not even gunna say presentation because to them that means adding 15 more entrances.

Yes, I hate all the gameplay issues, trust me, but okay you can play a football game but the crowd is TOTALLY dead. Wtf?
That's why I LOVE college football. If I wanted to watch super polished football I'd watch NFL, but i prefer NCAA.
The players care more.
The fans care way more.

Make a good new superstar mode! Ever since they've used the name 'Road to Glory' it's been horrible. I hope they just change the name and go a totally different route.

Gosh I want this game to be good. So bad.

# 14 All-Vol @ 01/30/12 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goNAVYbeatarmy
How to make recruiting more challenging. My 2 cents. Recruits should start the year with no stars. After an inital scouting/recruiting phase. The players with the most interest from schools should get the highest stars (which i think how it works with the scouting systems). SO, stars should be based on demand.

Also, coaches should have scouting ratings (A - great eye for talent, F- throw in the dark). You might peg a player high based off scouted ratings, but he might be worse/better when he shows up on campus.

These are what I call recruiting curve-balls that would make recruiting more challenging, realistic, and different. The way it is now, its too clean cut.

I like it. Recruiting definitely needs a change of direction.

# 15 SkillzKillz719 @ 01/30/12 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goNAVYbeatarmy

Yes this too.
Just seeing how national signing day is coming up and they havent hardly done anything to recruiting to make it better.

Ugh. You gotta question how much they really like college football.
Isn't there some one in there that just gets in there and says he's tired of being average?
Bring it above and beyond.

Make it so the recruits I'm recurting aren't just stars, but people i want on my team. (Attitude, Discipline, Heart)

Very good point Navy!

# 16 jyoung @ 01/30/12 02:18 PM
It's funny that they put so much effort into the team intros for NCAA and Madden.

I bet most people just skip over them every time after seeing them once.

The developers' time would be better spent trying to improve the broadcast presentation that occurs during the actual game, not the pregame ceremonies that maybe 5% of users will watch.

# 17 statum71 @ 01/30/12 02:21 PM
Agree with everything except dropping some mascots in favor of old time players.

Couldn't possibly care less about guys with leather helmets. Besides....they wouldn't have the license to use their real names anyway so what good is it?

# 18 oldman @ 01/30/12 02:31 PM
To me it is all about the little things. Bring back Medical redshirts and NCAA sanctions. More varieties of school band music at each stadium. More than one broadcast team so you really know when you are on the big time Saturday evening game on ESPN or the afternoon game on CBS etc. Give us the ability to hire/fire assistant coaches and have those coaches actually change player ratings(right now you have no control over whether an assistant is hired or fired). Include graphics about rankings and upcoming games in the broadcast to really make each game you are playing feel like part of a season instead of an individual event(It would be really great if they would reference past seasons results).

# 19 xirdneh132 @ 01/30/12 03:07 PM
Great article and I'm sure we can go into more detail. I actually loved NCAA 12 but the glitches did drive me crazy to the point of swearing out loud in psychotic rage and that was even when I was comfortably ahead. I always buy it on the first day and spend a ton of time fixing ratings and entering names so I don't mind buying it on the first day since I'm not going to play it for some time anyways.

Another nice small addition is when you name the coaches there should be a save option for that alone. I entered every coaches name and then after turning it off and coming back to the game they were all gone (and this was after entering their names and having the game freeze on me). I didn't discover until later that in order to save their names you had to go back into player edit mode or depth chart mode then save, that's stupid.

It would be really nice if they could make an awesome game because I'm sure we could deal with a few issues here and there but some of the glitches just drive us crazy and I loved the game and it drove me crazy.

# 20 bmxnw @ 01/30/12 03:11 PM
I agree with almost everything said in the OP and in these comments, and I just want to add one thing: LET US SPECTATE OTHER USER'S GAMES IN OD!!!! I have been calling for this since NCAA 09. When your Dynasty is waiting for 2 people to play each other to advance, do you want to just sit there and stare at the menu for 30-45 minutes? Of course not! We want to watch them play!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.