Home
Feature Article
Five Teams to Be Excited About in MLB 12: The Show

It’s a hard time to be a baseball fan: the “hot stove” is cooling down, pitchers and catchers still have a few weeks, and MLB: The Show 12 doesn’t release for another month. While we wait, let’s take a quick look at those teams you will most likely want to control when your fire up your PS3 on Mar. 6.

The following list isn’t necessarily composed of the best, most popular or most promising teams. These five teams are simply the ones that feature the biggest and most exciting signings, trades and roster moves from this off-season.

Texas Rangers

If there is one player I’m looking forward to seeing in The Show, it would be Texas’ Yu Darvish. His imported numbers are astounding, and it will be interesting to see how they translate to both the real and virtual American game.

You will also get to test out a starting Neftali Feliz, see what Joe Nathan has left and scare opposing pitchers with a line-up that is stacked from top to bottom.

The Angels only signed the best hitter in the game in the off-season, NBD

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

An easy choice, really. Adding the best player in baseball in Albert Pujols sort of guarantees them a spot on this list. Of course, they also added C.J. Wilson, a highly coveted free agent starter. Besides these surprising moves, the Angels still have a solid outfield, including the young Mike Trout, and another ace in Jered Weaver.

If you are curious to see how much impact one everyday player has on a line-up, you will want to give the Angels a go come March.

Detroit Tigers

Much like the Angels, their signing of a top free agent really changes the make-up of this team. You will get to decide where to slot Miguel Cabrerra and Prince Fielder (most likely 3-4), potentially creating the best Righty/Lefty punch in baseball.

Like Pujols’ contract, Prince’s weighty deal is more of an issue in franchise mode; in exhibition, the only weight you need to worry about is how his 275 pounds can launch bombs.

Let’s not forget they also have the reigning AL Cy Young and MVP Justin Verlander at the top of the rotation. 

The Phillies got  a much needed bullpen boost with Paplebon on the mound to close it in the 9th.

Philadelphia Phillies

The rotation already seems like something found only after you scam trade logic, and the additions to this perennial National League favorite only add to the hype.

First, they added an elite closer in Jonathan Papelbon. Then, Philadelphia beefed up their bench with an interesting mix of veterans in the twilight of their careers: Jim Thome, Juan Pierre, and Dontrelle “I can hit!” Willis. These additions complement an already dynamic line-up with Pence, Utley, Rollins, and Howard. Heavy contracts don’t really effect exhibition play, where this team can bring it as well as anyone.

Miami Marlins

There are three big reasons to control the Marlins in one of your first exhibition games: the joy of playing with a virtual Jose Reyes, with his lightning speed, gaudy average and quick glove skills; to see what Hanley Ramirez can do at third, and how well that change is reflected in his ratings; you will get to witness what (depending on who you talk to) are either the ugliest or trendiest uniforms in the game.

Bonus reason: The hideous/spectacular home run fountain 

Other exciting teams, based on existing roster and off-season moves:

Colorado, San Diego, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Milwaukee

Who do you plan to roll with when you crack open MLB: The Show 12?

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 02/02/12 12:32 PM
Big Red Machine

# 2 The Kid 24 @ 02/02/12 12:33 PM
The 2011 NL Central Champs!!

# 3 earp4530 @ 02/02/12 12:33 PM
Yuuuuuuuuuuuu Darvish!

# 4 DickDalewood @ 02/02/12 12:41 PM
Despite being a life-long Cubs fan, I'm definitely going to have to roll with my hometown Rangers this year.

# 5 Watson @ 02/02/12 12:43 PM
YU GOT THE SKILLS! YU GOT THE THE POWER!

# 6 prot22 @ 02/02/12 12:56 PM
I'm trying to decide to play my season with either the Phillies, Nationals, Rays, or Royals. I'm not a big Papelbon fan but Philly is my hometown team. If the Nationals let Bryce Harper start with the team in RF out of Spring Training they'll be the fun team to play with, also the Rays have an amazing starting rotation and the Royals have a super young talented team with guys who've been winning in the minors. Who should I choose?

# 7 willz1985 @ 02/02/12 01:04 PM
GO PADRES!!!

# 8 Ollienyy @ 02/02/12 01:16 PM
Shouldn't you remove that Marlins Stadium video or at least rename it? It has nothing to do with The Show (according to one of the devs who posted in the forum)

# 9 pdawg17 @ 02/02/12 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenngoldbaseball
I can't believe that A's didn't make the top five. I mean who wouldn't want to play a team that could be beaten by most other teams' AAA clubs, including the Sacramento River cats. The A's are for those people who have mastered the legend difficulty, swat over 50 home runs a year for each of your nine starters and maybe even a bench player, can pitch more no hitters than most guys can get saves, and are looking for a true challenge. There must be at least one of you out there.
It's tough being an A's fan and an MLB Show fan...it's such a great game but it's tough to enjoy it when every player has crappy ratings because either a) they are crappy or b) they are unproven and therefore crappy rating...

# 10 willithome @ 02/02/12 01:22 PM
I am definatly excited about the Cleveland Indians this year. They were so young last year and they should be starting to mature and really be a contender for either the Division cause I don't think Fielder will be enough or a Wild Card. All I can say is watch out for them they will be tough. You've been warned!

# 11 Braves Fan @ 02/02/12 01:25 PM
Probably the most underrated team in baseball - The Atlanta Braves.

I guess since we didn't do anything in the offseason and are coming off that huge collapse people have forgotten about us. We are young and hungry though. I think we are gonna surprise a lot of people.

# 12 N51_rob @ 02/02/12 01:25 PM
Pretty good list. I've got to admit, I'm not looking forward to playing with the Orioles and their absolute lack of pitching.

I could see the Tigers being one of the teams everyone uses online.

# 13 Greene_Flash03 @ 02/02/12 01:29 PM
I'm gonna make Yonder Alonso an All-Star in my Chise. He has a better chance now that Pujols and Fielder are playing in AL.

Go Padres!

# 14 sbmnky @ 02/02/12 01:38 PM
Even though I'm a Dodgers fan, I rolled with the Nationals last year and will do the same this year. Although, I will be playing exhibition games will all the teams listed in your article until Knight & Co. rosters are completed.

# 15 pay_26 @ 02/02/12 01:54 PM
Colorado Rockies!!!! Tulo, Gonzalez, Cuddyer, Blake, Hernandez. Amazing

# 16 xKaoTicxLegEndx @ 02/02/12 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prot22
I'm trying to decide to play my season with either the Phillies, Nationals, Rays, or Royals. I'm not a big Papelbon fan but Philly is my hometown team. If the Nationals let Bryce Harper start with the team in RF out of Spring Training they'll be the fun team to play with, also the Rays have an amazing starting rotation and the Royals have a super young talented team with guys who've been winning in the minors. Who should I choose?
In my opinion, with those choices, I would narrow that down to either Washington or Tampa Bay. Nationals Park is one of the nicest stadiums in the Majors, and their team is on the verge of becoming a threat in not just the NL East. With young guys like Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, Jordan Zimmerman, and Stephen Strasburg, there's a lot of buzz in the D.C. area.

I had a franchise with the Rays in MLB 11. I love their dark blue uniforms on the road, and their alternate light blue home uniforms. They've also got a few youngs guys like Desmond Jennings, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and David Price. Don't forget James Shields either.

I think you should go with either of those two teams.

# 17 xKaoTicxLegEndx @ 02/02/12 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
Probably the most underrated team in baseball - The Atlanta Braves.

I guess since we didn't do anything in the offseason and are coming off that huge collapse people have forgotten about us. We are young and hungry though. I think we are gonna surprise a lot of people.
I'm a Braves fan myself. A lot of people I've spoken to are disappointed that we haven't made any moves this off-season. Personally, I think Wren made the right decision, and didn't make any knee-jerk reactions that could've potentially hurt the ball club. We did try to make some deals, but they didn't pan out. I like the overall make-up of our club as well.

I was talking to a guy the other day who said he'd be ready to give up on Heyward, and trade him. I couldn't believe it seeing that Heyward is still only 22 years old.

# 18 37 @ 02/02/12 02:09 PM
Always played with the Pirates since they been suckin for the longest(being an A's fan, i can def relate)...might change it up this year and go with the Padres or Astros

# 19 thaSLAB @ 02/02/12 02:09 PM

◄ The Hometown Bengals (of course)

# 20 Armor and Sword @ 02/02/12 02:10 PM
I will be rolling with the Marlins for The Show 2012. Since I have my 1987/2011 Yankees chises going on The Show 11, I will pick up my hometown team this year with the new players, new uniforms and new stadium.

Should be a ton of fun!

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.