Home
Feature Article
MLB 2K12 Reviewer Impressions

A lot of gamers wondered if 2K would be phoning in their effort this year. After playing a number of games, I see a lot of improvements but also a lot of issues. This game seems to be very polarizing. Some animations are improved, and some look terrible. For instance, outfielders sometimes have strange hitches as they catch the ball; they also still crow hop when the situation doesn’t call for it. Base running seems better, but the runners run with their heads up. I also threw a wild pitch and the CPU just stood on first as the ball went all the way to the backstop. These are the little details that 2K tends to miss.

The biggest sin in this game is the frame rate. In 2012, a game should not have severe frame rate issues. It seems like on every foul ball the frame rate takes a hit. Sometimes its so bad the game literally pauses for a second. This is something 2K needs to address via patch now.

I am also not sure if I like the new dynamic pitching system. A pitcher's rating should not take a hit after giving up a single. Once I get more time with the game I will see how this affects gameplay more.

Speaking of pitching, it’s still one of 2K’s strongest points. The intuitive controls remain the same, and the reward for a perfect gesture is very satisfying. At this point, there isn’t much more you can say about the pitching system. When it's good its good, and it's still good.

MLB 2K12 is best described as a game you love and hate.

Hitting for me is a mixed bag. It does feel more realistic, but I still would like to see a zone hitting mechanic implemented instead of just timing alone. The swings do look better, and the hit variety is improved as well. I have seen shots down the line, balls getting through the holes and balls dropping in front of the outfielders. This at least makes for a more authentic experience. Another thing I noticed is that it seems a lot harder to hit homeruns this year. This could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. I think it’s a good thing. It seemed like homeruns were a little too easy to hit in past iterations of the game.

Fielding is adequate. It nothing spectacular, nor is it terrible. The new throwing meter is implemented well. You have to set your feet and try to release the button in the fielder's green zone. Each fielder has a different size green zone depending on the complexity of the throw. This is very intuitive. The problem lies in the animations. They seem to play out way to fast. It makes the fielders look out of control at times.

The Presentation is still the game's strong suit.

The strong suit of 2K baseball over the past few years is its commentary. This year its no different. All sports game companies should attend a 2K seminar on how to do commentary the right way. The little details the announcers talk about is amazing. In a game I was playing last night as the Indians, they talked about Jason Kipnis his whole at-bat. There was no generic commentary. It was all about his numbers, his future and what he could mean to the team. If only 2K put this much effort into other aspects of the game.

As I continue to delve deeper into the game I am sure I will find more things I enjoy and more things I dislike. That seems to be the tone with this game. For every step forward it seems to take one step back. While the graphics on the PS3 are improved, they still look bland. The player models also seem to have gotten worse -- oh, where are the 2K7 player models? I do have to say that 2K does a great job with the stadiums. They are extremely detailed. Progressive field looks pretty much perfect. You have to commend 2K in that department.

As of now, I feel like this is a mediocre game. For every strong point it has a weak point.

Be sure to check out the Modes article coming soon.

Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 malky @ 03/09/12 01:52 AM
ha ha, love the shout out to 2k7, still the only 2kbaseball game I play

# 2 Behindshadows @ 03/09/12 03:09 AM
Agreed 2k7's player models were phenomenal

# 3 bonannogiovanni @ 03/09/12 04:12 AM
yes, but 2k7 was a 30 fps game, it seems like 2k has traded off player models and animations for 60 fps.

# 4 Yeats @ 03/09/12 05:26 AM
The way I see it, it wouldn't be a 2K sports game without all those "Ugh" and "Huh?!" moments. That's half the charm of 2K and this series in many ways. My wife saw me playing 2K baseball the other night and did this double-take when she saw some of the player faces. She said they all look like zombies. I replied it's the zombie baseball game for those of us who can't afford living people baseball games, lol.

# 5 kashmir28 @ 03/09/12 06:09 AM
I've been sitting on this game for the past three days, waiting for a review that would entice me to break the seal and take a crack at it instead of returning it for full value. I have yet to read one. The "fun factor" of 2K11 had too much "frustration factor" that negatively balanced itself out the more I played it. It seems like every year, the only sports games series I have hesitation on buying or opening once I purchase it is MLB 2K. The baseball Jones is a strong one, so I'll cave eventually.

# 6 econoodle @ 03/09/12 08:41 AM
fair points.
as far as the commentary and how great it is, and it is great, during those stories, once the ball is put into play the story abruptly stops. they never go back to it like nba 2k.

I'd rather hav them just continue the story and miss the play by play call then to have that sudden cutoff.

# 7 pistolpete @ 03/09/12 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
The way I see it, it wouldn't be a 2K sports game without all those "Ugh" and "Huh?!" moments. That's half the charm of 2K and this series in many ways. My wife saw me playing 2K baseball the other night and did this double-take when she saw some of the player faces. She said they all look like zombies. I replied it's the zombie baseball game for those of us who can't afford living people baseball games, lol.
2k12 and it's "charm" kind of remind me of two things from TV/Movies. One is a Seinfeld episode when George finds a rubber band in his soup and says in a laughing way "ohh, that Pedro (or whoever) must be working today." Or in Night at the Roxbury when Mr. Zedar (or whatever his name is) constantly accuses his co-worker of grabbing his ***, and when his co-worked replies that from where he's standing it's impossible Mr. Zedar just says "I know your tricks".

If you can laugh your way through some of 2k12's ridiculousness you'll find a very nice/fun game.

# 8 Yeats @ 03/09/12 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
One is a Seinfeld episode when George finds a rubber band in his soup and says in a laughing way "ohh, that Pedro (or whoever) must be working today."

If you can laugh your way through some of 2k12's ridiculousness you'll find a very nice/fun game.
LOL! Exactly.

2K games are still the best, regardless of their quirks. They're just plain fun, that's how I see it. Or maybe I'm getting old and less particular or something, lol.

# 9 GrandMaster B @ 03/09/12 10:33 AM
I haven't seen many framerate issues. Few and far between. Are some of you playing on the old 360?

# 10 econoodle @ 03/09/12 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
2k12 and it's "charm" kind of remind me of two things from TV/Movies. One is a Seinfeld episode when George finds a rubber band in his soup and says in a laughing way "ohh, that Pedro (or whoever) must be working today." Or in Night at the Roxbury when Mr. Zedar (or whatever his name is) constantly accuses his co-worker of grabbing his ***, and when his co-worked replies that from where he's standing it's impossible Mr. Zedar just says "I know your tricks".

hahaha
yes!

# 11 Fiddy @ 03/09/12 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
I haven't seen many framerate issues. Few and far between. Are some of you playing on the old 360?
i know, its like the reviewer ignored the patch that was released on release day and fixed the frame rate issues.

# 12 MikeyBoy02NY02 @ 03/09/12 03:11 PM
Kinda pissed on how poor the game is.....Well I own the MLB: The Show 12 so I am ok

# 13 adayinthelife @ 03/09/12 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir28
I've been sitting on this game for the past three days, waiting for a review that would entice me to break the seal and take a crack at it instead of returning it for full value. I have yet to read one. The "fun factor" of 2K11 had too much "frustration factor" that negatively balanced itself out the more I played it. It seems like every year, the only sports games series I have hesitation on buying or opening once I purchase it is MLB 2K. The baseball Jones is a strong one, so I'll cave eventually.
I'm so confused as to why someone would purchase a game, then not open it and just... have it there, while having an internal debate about returning it. Why not just not buy it in the first place?

# 14 budsticky @ 03/09/12 04:54 PM
Wow...look at that first picture. The batter looks like he's about 50 yards away from the pitcher.

# 15 rudyjuly2 @ 03/09/12 05:37 PM
2K baseball is Jeckyll and Hyde. Both good and bad but the bad can be very frustrating and really hurt the experience.

# 16 kashmir28 @ 03/09/12 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I'm so confused as to why someone would purchase a game, then not open it and just... have it there, while having an internal debate about returning it. Why not just not buy it in the first place?
Can't justify it. I'm a baseball game addict. Since first playing baseball on Atari many, many years ago, I've been hooked. Sometimes you need your fix close at hand. I felt that I wasted money a few years in a row and waited until October before grabbing MLB 2K11 at a reduced price. Got MLB 2K12 for $35 at Gamestop after some trade-ins and credits that weren't going to any other games, so...

# 17 Skyboxer @ 03/09/12 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
i know, its like the reviewer ignored the patch that was released on release day and fixed the frame rate issues.
I personally feel reviews should be based on retail release and not take into account patches. Even release day ones.

Just my .02

# 18 PVarck31 @ 03/09/12 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I am reviewing the PS3 version. I can only report on what I see.

# 19 Fiddy @ 03/10/12 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I personally feel reviews should be based on retail release and not take into account patches. Even release day ones.

Just my .02
thats fine, i agree, BUT he mentions that the game needed a patch, and one was already released.

# 20 buckeyedawgtribe @ 03/10/12 01:49 PM
Gamespot gave 2K12 a 5.5 and the show 7.5. Pretty strict this year..Just listening to the players though it sounds like the show is a definite 9 and 2K probably falls in the 7 to 7.5 category.. I personally dont care what they say.2K runs smooth both online and off. I am loving it. I hope 2k does patch some things that the players are complaining about. Some people want some things patched that are honestly just cosmetic and I would really just want to see them focus on gameplay issues..One thing I do agree on is uniform colors.I mean if the yankees colors are off as they say this needs to be addressed.. My main issues are

1) players running with the heads up
2) I dont feel like I have enough control of the players on defense..moving, diving

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.