Home
Feature Article
Evaluating the NFL Draft for Madden NFL 13

1. What team as a whole has made themselves a better Madden team this offseason?

Dustin: It's hard to argue against the likes of the San Francisco 49ers. With the additions of Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James, this offense will be a force. Frank Gore has already established himself as a Madden runner who doesn't know how to hit the ground, so with four new weapons around him the Niners might find more success. James is my favorite piece here, because his ability in the screen game and the flats will be an online exploit in itself with that offensive line.

TD: The New York Jets. While the jury is still out on his real-life counterpart, Tim Tebow in Madden has always been a force to reckon with. Prepare to see a good amount of online teams employ a two-headed quarterback attack with Mark Sanchez taking snaps on passing downs and Tebow doing his thing in short-yardage/goal-line situations. Rookie WR Stephen Hill could also be the most explosive offensive rookie in Madden 13.

2. Which rookie will most likely be the one everyone trades for (realism set aside)?

TD: RG3 without question. Skillset aside, he's the most flashy and marketable rookie of this class, meaning he'll be heavily sought after by the large contingent of casual gamers.

Dustin: TD is right, this one place will freeze over if RG3 isn't the most popular rookie. But I'll drop another name into the mix: LaMichael James. James already had a huge following prior to the draft, and now that he's in Madden with his speed and flashy foot skills, looks for him to be taking hand offs from the No. 1 overall pick wherever they may be traded to.

Cam Newton has many old stick skills vets wrapped around his finger in a way only Mike Vick could.

3. Who will be used online the most: Redskins, Eagles or Panthers?

TD: Before I make my decision, let's break these down into three categories that I think matters most to online gamers.

QB skills

1. Panthers (Cam Newton)
2. Eagles (Michael Vick)
3. Redskins (Robert Griffin III)

Panthers win this category because Cam Newton simply has the best arm strength/speed combo. He's also bigger than both Mike Vick and RG3 making him more dangerous in the run game.

Weapons

1. Eagles (D-Jax, McCoy, DRC)
2. Panthers (Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams, Jon Beason)
3. Redskins (Santana Moss, Pierre Garcon, DeAngelo Hall)

With speedsters like DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin on the outside and the shifty Shady McCoy in the backfield, the Eagles' assets in skilled positions still reign supreme. Take into account DRC and Nnamdi on the defensive end and they might as well be the most talented Madden team for another year running.

Trending team

1. Panthers (#TeamCam)
2. Redskins (#RG3Fever)
3. Eagles (One year later, #NotSoDreamy)

This is based on the team that has the most buzz by the time Madden 13 drops. We're still months away, but right now I'll have my money on SuperCam and friends. Cam might not have won the Madden cover tourney, but his CAMpaign certainly endeared him to Madden gamers. #Fact

Overall, the Panthers should be the most used online team in Madden 13, followed by the Birds and the RG3-led Redskins not too far behind.

Dustin: Umm, yeah. I think TD covered all the bases plus some here. But my money is on the Eagles.

4. Which first round pick will have the smallest impact on its Madden roster?

TD: Justin Blackmon. While Blackmon promises to be a great young receiver, he doesn't exactly have blazing speed and at only 6-foot-1, he won't be able to exploit smaller cornerbacks in the game. Couple those gameplay disadvantages with Blaine Gabbert's ineffectiveness at QB and you have yourself a No. 5 overall draft pick who doesn't project a ton of impact for the Jaguars in Madden 13.

Dustin: The obvious choice has to be [insert defensive player here], but from an offensive stand point I would have to say San Francisco's A.J. Jenkins. It's no knock on Jenkins, but with Crabtree, Manningham and even Moss on the depth chart, it'll be hard to move up and see the field.

5. Does Andrew Luck make the Colts better than the Broncos?

Dustin: To be honest, I think both teams will have a lower-end team rating in Madden 13. Obviously the comparisons will run rampant between Denver and Indy, but in the end doesn't Denver get the edge? They have Peyton Manning, the best player on both teams combined, a unappreciated defense (Blame Tebow) and Ryan Clady, one of the best left tackles in the game. Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney can't match up with any of this. Sorry Indy fans, you're going to be staring up at the Titans, possibly even the Jaguars, all season long.

TD: Not sure if Luck makes the Colts better, but he certainly makes them trendier in my mind. Luck is the fresher choice, and given what else the Colts have done this offseason (selecting the two top tight ends and re-signing Reggie Wayne), Luck has a pretty solid supporting cast for gamers to utilize. As they always say, passing tight ends are a rookie quarterback's Madden gamer's best friend.

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DUDERMAN @ 05/16/12 11:27 AM
Somebody has a 49er bias...

# 2 Facts @ 05/16/12 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
Somebody has a 49er bias...
No he's right. With Josh Johnson and all that new speed, the Niners are the new cheese team. Just sad, I used them all the time to play online since Madden 10. I hate bandwagoners.

# 3 davidd @ 05/16/12 12:37 PM
i was waiting for somebody to write something like this. Thanks!

# 4 PGaither84 @ 05/16/12 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts
No he's right. With Josh Johnson and all that new speed, the Niners are the new cheese team. Just sad, I used them all the time to play online since Madden 10. I hate bandwagoners.
You're right. The 49ers weapons used to be Fank Gore and Vernon Davis only. People tried to cheese with Ted Ginn recently, but that's about it. I used to work Delanie Walker a ton after I forced people to respect Davis.

Now? With AJ Jenkins, Randy Moss, and Limichael James added to a team with Davis and Gore AND now the Alex Smith doesn't have terrible ratings... the 49ers are going to be one of the "cheese teams." It desn't help that they have one of the best defenses in the game as well.

I love that my 49ers are a good team. I hate how often people duck games now simply because the are good in real life. I used to ball with my 49ers and people never saw it coming. It's okay, what ever. I'm just happy my team is relevant. What is sad is seeing all these terrible 49ers player on YouTube.

# 5 PGaither84 @ 05/16/12 12:48 PM
Doesn't LMJ only have like 94 speed though? It isn't like we are talking 99 speed. Frank Gore has 94 speed, or at least had 94 speed in Madden 11. He might only have like 92 in M12.

I don't understand the comment that LMJ might be the number two most traded for rookie.

I know it shouldn't be a pass rusher as long as Madden's line interactions are still terrible. I don't know who #2 should be, but I agree RG3 will likely be #1.

I know that I tend to go after other underrated rookies when I do an unrealistic franchise for fun. For example, in Madden 11 I would add J. Murphy CB for the Rams. He had A potential and would become a 99 or so press and man coverage corner by year three, and was an easy steal.

# 6 DUDERMAN @ 05/16/12 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts
Not saying he was wrong, just found it comical that nearly every question he found a way to bring it back to the Niners. In fact, the only 2 questions he didn't mention the 49ers were about specific teams (Panthers, Redskins, Eagles and then about Colts vs Broncos).

Trust me, as an Eagles fan my whole life, I know all about bandwagon fans when it comes to Madden.

# 7 BezO @ 05/16/12 04:12 PM
Quote:
4. Which first round pick will have the smallest impact on its Madden roster?

Dustin: The obvious choice has to be [insert defensive player here], but from an offensive stand point...
This doesn't make me feel good at all.

# 8 newefan @ 05/16/12 04:17 PM
this is why i do a fantasy draft in franchise mode so i can get most of the best rookies so by year 3 my team is a beast but this all depends on if gameplay is solid enought where player ratings matter.

# 9 jagsrock95 @ 05/16/12 04:51 PM
how can he say Justin Blackmon will have little impact ! As a Jaguars User im familiar with using mediocre QB's. Just having a WR that can hold on to the ball is enough to elevate the Jags passing game, couple that with the other additions made at WR and the fact that Gabbert's rating will improve over the course of the season( and even if it doesn't and he's pulled the Jags QB rating shouldn't drop below 70) Blackmon's will give jags users a legit go to guy, which hasn't really been present for the Jags since Matt freakin jones(and not counting mercedes lewis). oh well I know for me personally it will be a huge impact haha.

# 10 Toneboy @ 05/16/12 05:32 PM
RG3 in Madden could be very exciting indeed. Quite how he'll match up to real-life performance, where there are likely to bumps along the road, will be another thing altogether.

# 11 StL_RamZ @ 05/16/12 09:40 PM
Sad that they still mention Speed as the only attubrute that means anything

# 12 Hova57 @ 05/17/12 01:38 AM
i hope they make shady a little faster, fumble less. Vick not to fumble as much and fixed awkard scramble to right

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.