Home
Feature Article
Could a Lockout Affect NHL 13's Sales?

Commissioner Gary Bettman and the NHL owners confirmed Thursday that the league is prepared to enter a lockout if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached by September 15, 2012.

With EA Sports' NHL 13 hitting stores September 11, 2012, it is becoming extremely likely that the sole surviving NHL video game franchise could release during a league-wide work stoppage which on the surface seems an exceedingly bad idea.

Could this lockout impact the sales of NHL 13? To decide, let's review a few recent league lockouts and see how their video game equivalents fared during those years.

**Sales data acquired from VGChartz, so use at your own peril for making truly accurate judgments.

2004–05 NHL Lockout (September 16, 2004 to July 22, 2005)

Year Before Lockout

NHL 2004 -- 0.97 (PlayStation 2), 0.18 (Xbox), 0.10 (Gamecube) = 1.25 million worldwide sales

Year Of Lockout

NHL 2005 -- 0.45 (PlayStation 2), 0.16 (Xbox), 0.07 (Gamecube) = 0.68 million worldwide sales

A 53% decline on the franchise's lead system (PlayStation 2) led to a massive drop in overall sales, despite the fairly steady performance on Xbox and Gamecube.

1998–99 NBA Lockout (July 1, 1998 to January 20, 1999)

Year Before Lockout

NBA Live 98 (PlayStation) = 1.51 million worldwide sales

Year Of Lockout

NBA Live 99 (PlayStation) = 1.22 million worldwide sales

The NBA Live series' PlayStation sales dropped 19%, despite the fact that NBA Live 99 faced less competition than it had the previous year. Sony's NBA ShootOut brand skipped the '99 video game season, returning the following year with NBA ShootOut 2000.

2011 NBA Lockout (July 1, 2011 to December 8, 2011)

Year Before Lockout

NBA 2K11 -- 2.02 (Xbox 360) + 1.69 (PlayStation 3) + 0.47 (Wii) + 0.38 (PSP) + 0.19 (PC) = 4.75 million worldwide sales

Year Of Lockout

NBA 2K12 -- 2.42 (Xbox 360) + 1.87 (PlayStation 3) + 0.28 (Wii) + 0.22 (PSP) + 0.14 (PC) = 4.93 million worldwide sales

Despite a slow start during the first month, Take Two's NBA 2K12 ultimately outperformed the previous year's game, scoring a 14% improvement in sales on the franchise's primary platforms (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3).

Conclusion

Considering the booming worldwide sales of 2005 sports games like Madden NFL 2005 (7.59 million), NFL 2K5 (4.26 million), NBA Live 2005 (3.93 million), NBA 2K5 (2.55 million) and MVP Baseball 2005 (2.80 million), EA Sports' NHL 2005 (0.68 million) was absolutely devastated by the NHL's most-recent lockout.

However, the NHL series' quality has improved tremendously since its run of uninspired, forgettable PlayStation 2 games. An argument could be made that the reason NBA 2K12 still sold well in the face of a lockout is the series' general perception as a high-quality sports franchise, much like EA's NHL brand.

Under that assumption, I believe NHL 13 will follow the pattern of Take Two's NBA 2K12, launching with an underperforming first month, then gradually exceeding the previous game's sales by a small margin over time.

NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 liberaluser @ 08/19/12 04:09 AM
If there's a lockout I can get my hockey fix with the new game. I don't see why some get so worked up at the NHL for their negotiations that they can't even bring themselves to play the yearly hockey game with its bells and whistles.

Let's all play the demo first.

# 22 DJ @ 08/20/12 02:38 PM
I went through this last year with NBA 2K12 and not only did it affect sales, but the lockout also directly affected the game itself as NBA Today was rendered meaningless because there were no games being played.

Here's the trickle-down effect with the Lockout and 2K12:
No NBA Today
No Roster Updates (yes, 2KShare had rosters, but no official roster updates)
No Accessory Updates
Depth Charts/Rotations inaccurate
Schedule was wrong (fixed in NBA Today but not for Association Mode)

I have to admit, I'm hesitant now about picking up NHL 13 at launch because a labor deal isn't in place yet. I think I may wait until all that shakes out before buying NHL 13.

# 23 HellJumper SK @ 08/24/12 01:42 PM
If anything a lockout makes me more likely to buy. I need to get my hockey fix.

# 24 Vikes1 @ 08/24/12 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzehrt24
I honestly think that if the lock-out happens, it may actually increase the number of copies sold. People who have even a slight interest in the NHL may go out and buy '13 simply for the fact that that's the only way to get any hockey at all this year.
Yep for me...if God forbid a lockout happens, I'll most likely be playing NHL '13' more often than normal. The time I would spend watching the real thing, will most likely be spent playing the game instead if there's a lockout.

# 25 kestrel @ 08/25/12 03:51 PM
I'm more concerned with how a potential lockout would affect contracts and players signing to their respective league players association/union. What will happen to having accurate rosters if there is a lockout?

On the flip side, my Be-a-GM becomes more fantasy than it already would be. While I try to stick to real world roster situations, with a lock out, I'm more likely to move players around where I want them regardless of where they are/would be in the real world.

# 26 bigbob @ 08/25/12 04:08 PM
I know for me, it's not going to affect me being the game. I but it specifically for EASHL and play probably 10-20 offline games a year.

# 27 TheNorm30 @ 08/31/12 09:59 PM
I don't think I'll purchase if there's a lockout (which is looking more and more likely after today). I can get my hockey fix from the college ranks, and maybe even check out one of the OHL teams that are close by. It's a bummer because the demo really has me curious about the game, but just going from previous experience for me I won't want to play the game much if the league isn't going on.

# 28 cepwin @ 09/01/12 07:30 PM
Honestly I would have pre-ordered NHL 13 had a lockout not been pending...instead I bought Madden. The main negotiators on *both* sides care nothing for the game, the fans or the people who work in NHL related jobs who aren't on big $$ like the players. I'm not giving them my $$ until they grow up and settle this thing!
I agree that Bettman is a disaster and Fehr has a history of being a negative force in any sport he stuck his paws into (I'm old enough to remember what he did to baseball years ago!!)

# 29 JaFFiTh @ 09/03/12 12:46 AM
I personally am not planning on buying NHL 13 if the lockout occurs. Gives me more time with my lil' one as he will be a year old in a month already , that and more time to work on the roster for The Show as I don't have much free time anymore lol. I didn't buy the game during the '04-'05 lockout either, feels better playing the game while the season is going on, season gets me hyped up, no season, I couldn't care less.

# 30 hhpanther2926 @ 09/08/12 09:23 PM
I still hope a lockout doesn't happen, still I plan on getting the game but it would be short lived if the entire season is lost especially since my Hurricanes got J. Staal & Semin in the offseason. Cannot wait for NHL 13 an I hope the NHL players & owners don't let another lockout occur b.c. the last one almost ended the NHL totally. Things that would suck during a lockout would be an outdate schedule, no roster updates, an lastly no hockey period. I praying for the NHL owners & players to get this crap figured out already b.c. if they lockout the players again I just don't know if hockey can survive it all over again at least with losing an entire season.

# 31 gomuherdclassof2k10 @ 09/10/12 08:40 AM
I will not buy it tomorrow, first time in ever not buying the game on release day. I honestly do not know if I will but it during the lockout. I spend hundreds of dollars on NHL related stuff like tickets and what not and this lockout will curb my spending to zero until things are better.

# 32 MMan @ 09/10/12 09:47 AM
Anyone have any idea if the "Stanley Cup Edition" will be in stores? Might sound like a dumb question but often these special editions are only available online.

# 33 FBeaule04 @ 09/10/12 10:55 AM
I will say it depends on the market. In Canada, I don't see a drop-off in sales. More than that, I wouldn't be surprise to see a gain in sales since there will be no hockey on tv to get our fix, so people will turn to the game to play a bit and experience the feeling. I would say it could be the same in Hockey market in the US we're the fan base is solid and sold.

On the other hand, I see a drop-off for non-hockey state where hockey is stuck between bowling, truck pulling and wood-chopper contest. No seeing hockey will make a huge difference because that's the way to recruit people who want to try it and play in on the console. Since there will be another sports to watch and care about, NHL 13 sales will suffer in those market.

# 34 FBeaule04 @ 09/10/12 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhpanther2926
I still hope a lockout doesn't happen, still I plan on getting the game but it would be short lived if the entire season is lost especially since my Hurricanes got J. Staal & Semin in the offseason. Cannot wait for NHL 13 an I hope the NHL players & owners don't let another lockout occur b.c. the last one almost ended the NHL totally. Things that would suck during a lockout would be an outdate schedule, no roster updates, an lastly no hockey period. I praying for the NHL owners & players to get this crap figured out already b.c. if they lockout the players again I just don't know if hockey can survive it all over again at least with losing an entire season.
Don't want to break your dream, but a lockout is inevitable and it will be a long one. Let's state it that way : Few years ago, you're wife told you that you have to get a ceiling on your depense for the sake of the familly. After you finally accept to grant is wish on a depense cap, she started making more revenues and spend much while your stuck. On top of that, she spend money on for some other members of the familly, and say to you : "Honey, we'll have to cut again it what you're getting since we have problems here and there. I know it's hard, but we'll lower the ceiling again and I'll ask you to spent less for yourself so that other can have more to live."

Between you and me, would you accept such kind of thing? I was all with the Owners last lock-out, but this time around, I'm behind the players. NHL is losing money? Poor owners, they spent for a team in Arizona who wouldn't attract more than 5000 people if the tickers we're so cheap and they gave away 10 000 free tickets.

Bettman can cry me a river all day long players are making too much money. Go see the clowns he's working for spending for contracts over 10 years for more than 100 millions on players. Owners want shorter contracts, but since we heard about it, they are giving 6 to 8 years contract. Just like bipolar people who say one thing and do the exact opposite after it.

I'm a hockey fan, I want hockey, but the players let go so much last time and Owners acted like idiots for the last few years that I can see a complete year stoppage while most players will earn money elsewhere in the meantime. It's not like the league is older, the core of the NHL players is young guys, who made money and will made money, and I'm in for a long, long, long stoppage!

# 35 Taku @ 09/10/12 11:13 AM
If there will be a lockout it just means i have to play more NHL13 since there's no games to watch from TV...

# 36 chrish4343 @ 09/10/12 03:11 PM
yeah! so the ahl will b like the nhl again whoooohooo!!!

# 37 bwiggy33 @ 11/15/12 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Not so much sales in my case, but I've lost the desire to play since October 10. Normally I'd watch a game then fire it up. No games = loss of itch to play.
100% describes me. I'm very partial on whether I like the game or not, but I can definitely say that the lockout is affecting me playing the game. I know I'd be playing it if the season was going on. Honestly even since the day I got it I haven't really had that long session of NHL where I don't want to put the controller down. This lockout is no doubt depressing though. It hit me last night how much I missed watching the NHL. There was nothing on TV. The Twolves were on but I don't watch any basketball besides the occasional college game. What's worse is ya there is college but that's only on two days a week. Luckily the Russian Super Series has been on NHL Network. After tonight though, that's over. Just sucks all around.

Also to add on I don't really think NHL lost many sales because of the lockout, but I do think that there are people out there that aren't playing the game due to the lockout. So very similar to myself. The lockout had absolutely no influence on my purchase though.

# 38 DJ @ 11/16/12 10:49 AM
Still haven't purchased the game, and I won't until the players are back on the ice. Looks like that could be a long while, sadly.

# 39 GlennN @ 11/16/12 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
100% describes me. I'm very partial on whether I like the game or not, but I can definitely say that the lockout is affecting me playing the game. I know I'd be playing it if the season was going on. Honestly even since the day I got it I haven't really had that long session of NHL where I don't want to put the controller down. This lockout is no doubt depressing though. It hit me last night how much I missed watching the NHL. There was nothing on TV. The Twolves were on but I don't watch any basketball besides the occasional college game. What's worse is ya there is college but that's only on two days a week. Luckily the Russian Super Series has been on NHL Network. After tonight though, that's over. Just sucks all around.

Also to add on I don't really think NHL lost many sales because of the lockout, but I do think that there are people out there that aren't playing the game due to the lockout. So very similar to myself. The lockout had absolutely no influence on my purchase though.
Yep, me too. I still play it some, but much less than in a normal season.

# 40 renojedi @ 11/17/12 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Still haven't purchased the game, and I won't until the players are back on the ice. Looks like that could be a long while, sadly.
Ditto. For me, no roster changes, no rating updates, no AHL updates, no new rookies, etc make this get stale just as much not being able to watch the games on TV. I know the game sold well initially. I'll be curious to see some updated numbers and see if it falls behind 12. Also, not seeing NHL 13 in any black Friday ads so maybe it is doing well enough not to discount. Time will tell.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.