Home
Feature Article
OS Roundtable: NBA Live's Digital Release a Good Idea?

Bishop Tart: Here's the quote from IRB Gamer: "It’s been almost 3 years since we’ve released an NBA title. The tactic is to get feedback from gamers. However, it’s a bit risky to not run it as the AAA title as thedecision has been made to NOT put the game on disc.

Live will be looking at a price point around $19.99."

EA and Tiburon are testing every single one of us this year. They're trying to see if there is any interest at all left in the series. If it does release as a downloadable game for $20 and only a few people purchase it, we can say goodbye to NBA Live.

I've read some of the comments on Operation Sports, and I think EA releasing NBA Live 13 for $19.99 is a GREAT idea. We all know the debacle that was NBA Elite, so EA trying to release a basketball game this year at a full $60 price-point is just absurd. Releasing it as a downloadable game at a cheap price means a low entry level and EA wants to get people to believe in the franchise again. This is the perfect way to do that. Now that would mean the game has to deliver. With NBA 2K pretty much owning the video game basketball world, EA and Tiburon know they can't have a half-assed game come out

People are also thinking EA will hold onto modes and features to release as DLC. That's possible, but NBA Live 13 will have Dynasty and online modes. It's an EA title, so of course, DLC will probably happen. But people panicking that DLC will be modes or features from previous iterations are being a bit paranoid.

I understand people are invested into the NBA 2K series, but there are a lot of basketball fans here on Operation Sports. Is spending $20 on NBA Live 13 going to really break the bank for fans of the sport?

While yes, that's not the only question most of us are asking, but until we get more solid information that's what I'm asking myself. I'm not making a decision based off a video from a pre-alpha build.

It's not that NBA Live 13 shouldn't be released, but who is going to care if the game isn't good?

Keni Glover: In my opinion it's not so much the $20 digital release that seals the fate of NBA Live; it's the resignation implied by this release that potentially dooms the franchise.

After a two year layoff, fans of the series had big expectations for Live 13 and even non-fans were at least curious to see what EA had cooking. It was a bit shocking to see how far the series actually digressed in the latest gameplay reveal, which granted wasn't official or even the latest build, but it was still ugly. The cancelled NBA Elite and NBA Live 10 both look superior in quality to Live 13 and it just doesn't seem that EA put significant resources behind this game.

Did EA resolve from the beginning of this project that NBA Live 13 was going to be a $20 digital release? Or, did they make this determination after they received critical feedback of what they allege to be a pre-alpha build of the game? If before, it might imply an intention to minimize overhead of the project, perhaps due to a lack of confidence that the game would be profitable. If after, it was an enlightened choice in that they realize Live 13 has little chance to be competitive this year, particularly with the bad press it has received to this point. Either way, its a bad omen for NBA Live.

The NBA Live franchise has a long way to go to be competitive in this genre. At this point, the popular NBA 2K franchise has a full head of steam while Live is still trapped in the starting gate. And considering the cancellation of NBA Elite last year and now this, it might only be a matter of time before EA quits on this series altogether.

The problem isn't the price point, it's the reasons behind why Live has to be $19.99.

Steve McPherson:  The price point itself isn't so much troubling as the reasons behind it being put out there at $19.99. There's a big difference between something that was designed around being a downloadable title—with tight focus, a lean, mean approach, and maybe a la carte DLC options—and one that has simply come up short and been shoved out to market at a discount. It's one thing to have two car options where one is a Lexus and one is a Corolla, and quite another when the second option is a Jaguar someone is selling cheap because it doesn't work.

The failure of EA to put together Elite and then to mothball the entire series until now doesn't speak well of this decision, and it would seem that the lateness of the announcement in relation to the release window indicates that this is an audible, not a designed play. In sports gaming, it seems like there's always the champ and the runner-up, and by making this move, EA is definitively placing themselves in the runner-up slot.

Now, do I think that Live might actually offer some interesting gameplay wrinkles? In fact, it could even do some stuff better than NBA2K13? It's theoretically possible, but that's where the price point hurts even more because by coming out at $20, EA is essentially asking us to take this game less seriously. Its successes will always be cast as being "good for a downloadable title" while its failures will be underlined by EA's decision to go discount bin with it right out of the gates.

Bottom line is EA might woo some consumers into giving it a spin, but it's not the way to build the brand back up. After all, what if it's a smashing success at $20 and they decide to bump it back up to a retail title at $60 next year? I can't see people standing for that.

Failure at this juncture could mean an end to the franchise.

Aaron Ondrey: Oh, how the mighty have fallen. NBA Live 13 will be released digitally in October, perhaps as the franchise's last-ditch effort for revival. I remember a time when NBA Live was the head honcho of basketball video gaming, and now, it will be a downloadable, $19.99 game.

From comments that I've seen on the Operation Sports forums, it seems like this may be the only option Live 13 has. Fans aren't happy, and the leaked footage wasn't impressive at all for a game that has been off of shelves for two years. A digital release gives off the impression from EA that they know they can't compete with 2k, and are hoping that dropping the price and creating an easy-access game via download can create some buzz.

I was always a fan of the NBA Live series. But as the franchise started to fall, I jumped ship. Personally, I would like nothing more than to see the series make a comeback and become relevant again. Nothing is better for fans of virtual hoops than to have both NBA Live and NBA 2k competing with each other again.

The question is, can NBA Live 13 even knock on the door to a comeback, or will that door be slammed shut for good?

What do you think OS'ers? Is the NBA Live franchise in trouble? Are you looking to buy the game at it's $20 price point? Sound off!

NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 fitzgerald434 @ 09/04/12 12:19 PM
Totally agree with you guys I dont mind the 20$ price at all and who wouldnt lol as long as its a decent game then I'll buy it but if its exactly what we saw in the leaked footage then I'll pass on the game. If the game isnt as good I think EA should stop making NBA games or at least let a different game company develop NBA Live because EA is ruining it.

# 2 mattsatx79 @ 09/04/12 12:22 PM
$20 for a basketball game is great! EA did the right thing with not putting this game out for a full $60. They want to get feedback from the gamers to see what they can do to make a better game. They will not ever reach the level of 2K, but $20 for a game for the people who do not like 2K is good.

# 3 nova91 @ 09/04/12 12:22 PM
I've stated before, I've got MS points to burn and if I can't find anything else to spend them on, I will give Live 13 a try. But on the other hand, they're doing this for feedback, we've been giving them feed back for years. It doesn't seem like they're listening to it at all.

# 4 NoTiCe_O @ 09/04/12 12:38 PM
"I'm not making a decision based off a video from a pre-alpha build." -Bishop Tart

I agree completely, and this is all I have been trying to say this whole time. Until I get some solid official info I'm not making any decisions. If the game is solid, I'll buy it, if the game is bad, I won't buy it. But I'm not gonna base my decision off of a leaked pre-alpha video.

It seems like just because the game is releasing for $20.00 people assume its terrible and not a full effort from the development teams. I don't believe that, I feel that this game could be a solid basketball game for a third of the price we pay for our other new games. I will continue to hold that opinion until something official from the NBA Live team shows me otherwise.

# 5 keator @ 09/04/12 12:41 PM
this will fail worse than the EURO 2012 DLC for Fifa12....

# 6 juicey79 @ 09/04/12 12:44 PM
They want feedback for $20 bucks feedback should be free.
If they truly want feedback make the dlc free...just use the old bulls vs lakers format.
Only make last years team available. That way we can give feedback at no cost to anyone.
But I know EA isn't just concerned with Feedback, more like $$$ is the priority.

# 7 23 @ 09/04/12 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
"I'm not making a decision based off a video from a pre-alpha build." -Bishop Tart

I agree completely, and this is all I have been trying to say this whole time. Until I get some solid official info I'm not making any decisions. If the game is solid, I'll buy it, if the game is bad, I won't buy it. But I'm not gonna base my decision off of a leaked pre-alpha video.

It seems like just because the game is releasing for $20.00 people assume its terrible and not a full effort from the development teams. I don't believe that, I feel that this game could be a solid basketball game for a third of the price we pay for our other new games. I will continue to hold that opinion until something official from the NBA Live team shows me otherwise.

Its time to stop beating that drum man

Quote:
My thought now is NBA LIVE 10 should've been pollished, fine tuned, tweaked, adjusted, and damn sure re-advancing the engine that can go NextGen instead of what I've been seeing. Next event... Who knows? I'm only saying this as a poster.

Hopefully I won't get shut down from my statement.. Because I am sharing this with you guys.

This is from a guy seeing the game as it is

You still want to continue to act like there should be some love thrown around for a less than standard of a game?

I have yet to see ONE person who has seen this game in any stage say anything positive about it.... NOTHING at all.

# 8 qbdaprizzle @ 09/04/12 01:00 PM
for $20 after the video i saw..and the failed years of nba elite...why not

# 9 Jadakiss88 @ 09/04/12 01:11 PM
IMHO it's better than nothing. If EA didn't release a basketball game they would have suffered the same fate as 2K Football games albeit for a different reason. EA is now run by corporations and investors long gone are the days where they looked to put out a quality game now it's only about the bottom line. IGN wrote a good piece on how Corporations are ruining video games. It's fairly obvious that EA is trying to reinvent the wheel with their Games starting with Madden. If they didn't release anything this year for basketball that would have been all she wrote for NBA Live.

# 10 AMYO @ 09/04/12 01:14 PM
They have are feedback already and know what is needed there doing this so they don't have to cancel the release again

# 11 ccoaxum @ 09/04/12 01:24 PM
you know i'm just shocked that we havent heard anything from anybody that was at the gamestop expo because it was stated that the game showcase their...so dang where are the comments from there or the videos?

# 12 TheLetterZ @ 09/04/12 01:24 PM
Is releasing a lousy game for $20 digitally a good idea? Hell no.

Is it a better idea than releasing the same lousy game for $60 on a disc? Probably.

# 13 Boilerbuzz @ 09/04/12 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoaxum
you know i'm just shocked that we havent heard anything from anybody that was at the gamestop expo because it was stated that the game showcase their...so dang where are the comments from there or the videos?
23 just quoted someone from the AC. Does that comment count?

# 14 ccoaxum @ 09/04/12 01:31 PM
i didn't really pay any attention to the fact that person was at the gamestop expo because it really say that in the quote and to answer your question no not really because he is just one person and everybody has their own opinion about things. So in other words i rather see screenshots or videos myself, so i can be my own judge..not a huge fan trying to go off of other ppl opinion about things.

# 15 23 @ 09/04/12 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Is releasing a lousy game for $20 digitally a good idea? Hell no.

Is it a better idea than releasing the same lousy game for $60 on a disc? Probably.
No sign is better than a bad sign

and the 30 people ready to sign up to pay for what we've been doing for years for free already leads me to one of two things

They're just telling you that just to get you to DL and wont really care about your feedback regardless

Two they'll use that to suck you in the next go round

Anyway, I dont see why some guys passed up on NBA 09 but are willing to throw this game a bone.

# 16 23 @ 09/04/12 01:34 PM
Quote:
i didn't really pay any attention to the fact that person was at the gamestop expo because it really say that in the quote and to answer your question no not really because he is just one person and everybody has their own opinion about things. So in other words i rather see screenshots or videos myself, so i can be my own judge..not a huge fan trying to go off of other ppl opinion about things.
Dude this isnt someone from some gamestop expo, this is one of their community guys who visits that place more than anyone you've heard from to this point

# 17 ccoaxum @ 09/04/12 01:36 PM
well dude like i said that comment was not clear on who the person was or where the heck he saw the game at. An again i rather see the game myself to judge...period don't care who the person is...am i wrong for wanting to see the game myself?

# 18 keator @ 09/04/12 01:36 PM
A lot of fifa head were excited too, when we first heard Euro2012 was going to be a DLC this year, than the game dropped......

# 19 23 @ 09/04/12 01:39 PM
Quote:
well dude like i said that comment was not clear on who the person was or where the heck he saw the game at. An again i rather see the game myself to judge...period don't care who the person is...am i wrong for wanting to see the game myself?
Well im clearing it up for you so that you wont be confused because you referenced a place that I did NOT.

I understand you're hopeful and all of that, but I just decided to post in reagards to the person still beating the same pre alpha drum

You can see and judge for yourself all you want. When I posted E LIte footage some people still wanted to see it even though Boozer and Bynum were jumping from the FT line

I feel you and all of that, im not telling you to buy or not, I just know what I will or will not do.

# 20 ccoaxum @ 09/04/12 01:54 PM
i know you didn't mention man...it wasnt you cause this it was boilerbuzz.. i was responding to what he said to me and he refer to one of your quotes so all i am doing is explaining where i was coming from. Thanks for letting me know more about that quote that you did put tho. By the way i never said rather or not i was hopeful about anything ..i just said i wanted to see it myself, far as the elite thing go hey you did i was on here when you but again everybody got the right to want play the game themeselves so all well just how life is ya know..sometimes you right and then sometimes you wrong.. you win some u lose some...lol hey in EA case they better hope they dont lose anymore smh. N thanks for not telling what to do with my money

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.