Home
Feature Article
Five Things That Will Make or Break NHL 13
Backskating Exploits

While NHL 13's true performance skating has dramatically improved the realism of player movement, the way it allows players to backskate through the offensive zone has unintentionally introduced a number of easy-to-repeat glitch goals.

A simple search of Youtube brings up a multitude of money goal tactics that rely on manipulating the goalie's positioning via backskating:

According to EA Sports' Community Manager, backskating exploits will be addressed in NHL 13's first tuner update, but it's impossible to know just how effective the update will be at exterminating all the goal exploits that have already popped up since the demo's August 21 release.

Given the "monkey see, monkey do" mentality of most online players, there is no doubt that backskating could potentially ruin NHL 13's online experience if it remains as exploitable as it currently is in the demo.

General Manager AI

For as exciting as online franchises can be, the reality is that most sports gaming is still done offline. If an offline franchise mode is going to remain engaging for multiple seasons, it needs to have computer AI teams who make intelligent decisions, both on and off the ice.

NHL 13's "GM Brain" claims to have drastically improved the CPU general mangers' decision making. GM Brain's premise is that all trades, draft picks and transactions are now evaluated for their immediate and long-term impact, not just one or the other. This could be a tremendous improvement over the old general manager behavior, which seemed unable to think long-term.

25 player roles have been added for NHL 13, such as "first line forward" or "top 4 defenseman." These new descriptors should help computer teams sign players who fit their specific needs, as previously, AI general managers could only judge a player on his position, age and overall rating. Player roles also impact salary negations, so now, just because a "tough guy" has a high overall rating, doesn't mean he will demand "top 6 forward" money.

Free agents will also raise or lower their asking price depending on market availability at their position. So if there's a lack of talented centers one off-season, some teams might overpay a mediocre player just to fill their position of need.

Player growth and salary cap creep have also been addressed, ensuring that highly rated, high-salary players don't flood the league in later years. General managers can now see when players' attributes have stopped growing thanks to a new color-coded, five-star potential scale, which means AI teams should be less likely to hand out huge contracts to older players who've peaked or are on the decline.

If all of these improvements function as advertised, EA's NHL series should finally have a franchise mode that can maintain league-wide realism beyond its initial seasons.

System Freezes And Server Stability

Few things are more frustrating than wanting to play a game but not being able to due to technical issues.

System freezes plagued all modes of play in NHL 12. Freezing occurred seemingly everywhere, whether in the main menus, inside the Be A Pro and Be A GM modes, during online lobbies or after online games.

The "Freezing Issues" thread from last year's game became one of the largest topics on the NHL forums, and if EA Canada fails to release a stable product this season, they could be losing many potential customers for this year and beyond.

Server instability has also hurt EA's NHL franchise as the online user base has grown. Random disconnections from the EA servers have become the norm in NHL games, as fans can probably recite from memory the errors, "You have lost connection to the EA Servers" or "The EA Servers are unavailable at this time. Please try again later."

Just a few weeks ago, my own EASHL club lost connection to the EA Servers during a fourth round playoff game, giving our team a "disconnect" loss and forfeiting any chance at capturing a playoff banner. It's situations like these that make people want to trade a game in and not buy the next year's version.

No matter how great a game plays or how many amazing features it offers, if you cannot play the game without it ending in a technical error, the development team has failed to do its job.

Skater AI

Creating intelligent computer behavior is the toughest part of sports game development, and EA's NHL series has traditionally been as guilty as most sports franchises when it comes to dumb AI players.

While EA Canada continues to push a strong marketing campaign for "Hockey IQ" and how it has revamped the way computer players behave, the NHL 13 demo shows CPU players still committing many of the same old mistakes.

Computer defenders remain far too passive, allowing the puck carrier to cross the blue line at will and skate through the offensive zone freely. With its poor containment principles, the AI defense routinely gives out free breakaways and odd-man rushes like they were tickets to a Phoenix Coyotes game.

Offensively, it's almost as if the NHL 13 demo discourages players from passing the puck, as getting your computer teammates to move into open space or simply cycle along the boards is an exercise in frustration. Why pass the puck when you can just as easily skate through the entire defense and score without being touched?

It's possible that gameplay sliders (not available in the demo) could address some of these AI issues, but based on NHL 13's demo, both sides of the ice still need some serious fixing if "Hockey IQ" is going to meet or exceed the hype.

GM Connected Mode

On paper, GM Connected has the potential to become one the biggest, greatest modes in sports gaming. After all, Be A GM was already the NHL series' most-played mode, and the addition of online multiplayer to the traditional franchise experience should make leagues much livelier.

Up to 24 players can join a single team, and with 30 total teams in the NHL, GM Connected can potentially support over 700 players in a single online franchise. Even if each team is comprised of only 6 players, that's still 180 players per league!

However, a few caveats have already emerged. There is no live drafting, as entry drafts are run automatically by the computer. Human teams can set up a draft board, ordering which prospects they'd like to take, but this process is a significant step back for online franchise modes, which have had live player drafts dating back to Madden NFL 10. Fantasy drafts are not possible, either, though a "roster scramble" feature is included, which will evenly reassign all the current NHL players to new teams.

Season length is another major issue, as all GM Connected seasons must be 82 games long. Anyone who's attempted to play a simple 19-game online franchise in the Madden NFL series can speak to the difficulty of maintaining a successful online league for less than 20 games, much less a full 80+ games schedule like NHL 13 is asking.

Coach mode fans, however, will be pleased to know that unlike Madden NFL 13, NHL 13's Connected Career mode does support user coaching. Coach mode lets the player pick line changes and alter team strategies on-the-fly, in addition to a "shoot" button that will tell whomever has the puck to fire on net.

Operation Sports will be running lots of GM Connected leagues once NHL 13 ships, so keep an eye on the NHL forums to see how this innovative feature fares after release.

NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 chickenhed @ 09/05/12 11:06 AM
"Coach mode fans, however, will be pleased to know that unlike Madden NFL 13, NHL 13's Connected Career mode does support user coaching. Coach mode lets the player pick line changes and alter team strategies on-the-fly, in addition to a "shoot" button that will tell whomever has the puck to fire on net."

I am one of those fans and yes, I am very very happy. Hopefully its as fun as it sounds.

# 2 Cletus @ 09/05/12 11:49 AM
I'm not excited at all about EASHL this year. I'll still play it but not the thousand plus games I have been. It's been getting more about stop the glitchers (even in 6 vs. 6) year after year. Hopefully the no super build this year will help, but people always find ways around it.

# 3 tfctillidie @ 09/05/12 12:09 PM
Can't imagine there's alot of Columbus Blue Jacket fans in the middle of Africa.

# 4 Rwings832 @ 09/05/12 12:28 PM
I am with you on the coach mode thing as well, but I am hoping this can be used in offline mode, not to crazy about doing an online league, although I wonder if we can start an online league but just play it as single players, and have the other teams be CPU controlled.

# 5 ocho cuatro @ 09/05/12 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfctillidie
Can't imagine there's alot of Columbus Blue Jacket fans in the middle of Africa.
Can't imagine there are a lot of Blue Jacket fans in the middle of Ohio.

# 6 tsp120 @ 09/05/12 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhed
"Coach mode fans, however, will be pleased to know that unlike Madden NFL 13, NHL 13's Connected Career mode does support user coaching. Coach mode lets the player pick line changes and alter team strategies on-the-fly, in addition to a "shoot" button that will tell whomever has the puck to fire on net."

I am one of those fans and yes, I am very very happy. Hopefully its as fun as it sounds.
I've always thought a coach mode would make sense for a hockey game, but never thought I'd see the day when a game would add it as an option given how few people like myself would actually be interested.

I am absolutely excited about coach mode. I've been playing the demo this way and despite not being allowed to make line changes, I'm having a lot of fun messing around with the different strategies.

Last night I was playing in coach mode with aggressive strategies and a NZ vs. FC biased way towards the forecheck and I watched the computer struggle to get out of their own zone a couple of times. At one point the CPU make a blind backwards pass to nobody and Brodeur had to come out of his net to the faceoff circles and gather the puck and pass it to a teammate. It was pretty cool.

# 7 drewst18 @ 09/05/12 01:46 PM
The glitch should not be mentioned, there will always be glitches unfortuantly but the ones in question EA has already addressed...

# 8 Vikes1 @ 09/05/12 03:06 PM
Good read.

But I do disagree a little about the AI's aggressiveness. I think it has certainly improved.

In my experience anyway on the higher levels, I've been cut off and checked into the boards more in my time with '13's demo...than all my time with NHL '12'. Again for me...I'm finding it quite a bit more difficult to skate around in the AI's zone because of the improved AI's aggression. Especially if your looking for a quality shot on goal. So overall, yeah...still a bit too easy to get through the zones at times. But imo....'13' seems like a nice improvement over '12'.

# 9 MetalCavs @ 09/05/12 03:36 PM
As always EA is targeting the youngsters with this years release, more arcade gameplay wrapped up in simulation looks. I'll save my scrilla as this series unfortunately has come down with a terminal case of FRANCHISE FATIGUE

# 10 chickenhed @ 09/05/12 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsp120
I've always thought a coach mode would make sense for a hockey game, but never thought I'd see the day when a game would add it as an option given how few people like myself would actually be interested.

I am absolutely excited about coach mode. I've been playing the demo this way and despite not being allowed to make line changes, I'm having a lot of fun messing around with the different strategies.

Last night I was playing in coach mode with aggressive strategies and a NZ vs. FC biased way towards the forecheck and I watched the computer struggle to get out of their own zone a couple of times. At one point the CPU make a blind backwards pass to nobody and Brodeur had to come out of his net to the faceoff circles and gather the puck and pass it to a teammate. It was pretty cool.
This makes me giddy.

# 11 plaidchuck @ 09/05/12 06:29 PM
well based on the demo the ai is as dismal as ever, especially with the defensemen. Yes I know good AI is hard to do but they still can't even defend the slot?

# 12 LighttheLamp @ 09/05/12 06:43 PM
if people play the game for fun and not for exploits, then everything should be ok. the problem is that people find ways to exploit the game. how is that fun?

# 13 THE YAMA @ 09/05/12 06:45 PM
I'm still on the fence about this game. Not sure how much play I'll get out of it with FIFA coming out two weeks after NHL.

# 14 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/05/12 08:14 PM
For GM Connected to not be a colossal failure, it needs to avoid the horrid mistakes that NBA 2k12 and Madden 13 made. No option for a reset or commissioner to assign a winner in the event of a network drop. This cannot happen in NHL 13.

# 15 Flyermania @ 09/05/12 10:41 PM
All good points, but for me one of the top items is penalties. In the past couple iterations, penalties were flat out broken. If the sliders truly work, this game could be something great. The lack of penalties/PP/PK is not realistic and is flat out not a true representation of the sport.

Fingers crossed!

# 16 piffbernd @ 09/06/12 12:02 AM
Very good read !

Most imported is that the freezing issue is gone. I hope for a balance GM AI, sometimes EA make it to tough, u can't trade what happened in reality.

# 17 Therion7 @ 09/06/12 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
All good points, but for me one of the top items is penalties. In the past couple iterations, penalties were flat out broken. If the sliders truly work, this game could be something great. The lack of penalties/PP/PK is not realistic and is flat out not a true representation of the sport.

Fingers crossed!
Agreed, I think things were slightly better in the demo, but they still had to be drawn by some stick dangling.

With the penalty slider and AI aggressive at max in 13 then the CPU should be boarding, charging and crosschecking the hell out of my players. I personally wouldn't play it that way, but that's how sliders should function!

# 18 canucksss @ 09/06/12 01:10 PM
Quote:

Fingers crossed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
Agreed, I think things were slightly better in the demo, but they still had to be drawn by some stick dangling.

With the penalty slider and AI aggressive at max in 13 then the CPU should be boarding, charging and crosschecking the hell out of my players. I personally wouldn't play it that way, but that's how sliders should function!
in 9 min per period in BaGM i would at least expect 4-6 penalties total for the entire game. i'll be happy and satisfied with that. i will be strongly disappointed if i see another back-to-back games with no penalties in AS hardcore setting.

# 19 BaylorBearBryant @ 09/07/12 01:48 AM
It's all about the EASHL and VGHL for me. That means stable connectivity is at the top of my list.

# 20 SlyBelle @ 09/07/12 06:17 AM
Quote:

Fingers crossed!
Exactly my thoughts too....to me this is the only concern for the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.