Home
Feature Article
Top Ten Most Anticipated Rookies And Their Signature Skills (Pt. 2)

Now that the first five rookies are out of the way, it's time to get to the rest.

Since my previous article was posted, the complete list of Signature Skills in NBA 2K13 has been revealed.

5. Terrence Ross (Toronto Raptors) – The 8th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, Ross’ impressive showings in team workouts and the Draft Combine turned the heads of several scouts. At 6’7, Ross has prototypical size for the shooting guard position though he’s a slender 197 pounds. Ross is an acrobat in the air, routinely finishing plays with highlight worthy dunks. He also shoots the three with accuracy and is a tenacious defender, having averaged 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted.

It will be exciting to utilize Ross on the new-look Raptors team. I expect that he’ll eventually start alongside Lowry and Derozan, forming quite a formidable backcourt offensively and defensively. Regarding his Signature Skills, the Highlight Film and Spot-Up Shooter are appropriate. Ross could also receive the Pick Pocket signature skill.

4. Jeremy Lamb (Houston Rockets) – The former running-mate of Kemba Walker, I was highly impressed with Jeremy Lamb in the 2011 NCAA Tournament. This young man in my opinion was the X-factor in the UCONN Huskies winning the National Championship. With Walker having left for the NBA at the end of that year, the keys were passed to Lamb and he answered by improving in several statistical categories, particularly scoring. Unfortunately however, the Huskies as a whole had a disappointing follow-up season and as a result, some of the excitement about Lamb as an NBA prospect cooled. People have short memories in sports and Lamb’s play this year might remind some teams why he was a projected top prospect coming into 2012.

The smooth nature of Lamb’s offensive game and his wiry build reminded me of Tracy McGrady in my initial impression. He can fill it up in a hurry offensively, with a terrific mid-range jumper, and the ability to create space for himself as well as efficiency in slashing to the basket. His floater is a weapon, having connected on 61 percent of them throughout the season.

Lamb’s greatest attribute is his scoring touch and ability to create offense. The Microwave and Shot Creator Signature Skills sound good here.

3. Damian Lillard (Portland Trailblazers) – Lillard is a scoring machine. He was the second leading scorer in the NCAA with an average of 24.5 points on only 15 shot attempts per game. He was also efficient at getting to the free-throw line, having averaged eight attempts per game in that category. Lillard has impressive quickness and speed to penetrate the lane and is an accurate 3-point shooter, having shot 41 percent last season in the NCAA. The biggest knock on Lillard was regarding his level of competition in college. He played in the Big Sky, and some scouts suggested that he might not shine so bright against better opposition. His performance in team workouts and the Draft Combine did much to allay those fears as his stock shot through the roof. He also seemed to play with a chip on his shoulder in the NBA Summer League where he averaged 27 points, five assists and four rebounds and shot 38 percent from 3-point range.

In a recent poll on NBA.com, 17.6 percent of rookie voters predicted Lillard as the 2012-13 Rookie of the Year, which was good for No. 2 on the list. And on a Portland Trail Blazers team where he is expected to start, Lillard will have plenty of opportunity to live up to that billing.

Lillard probably qualifies for the Microwave and Spot-Up Shooter Signature Skills. Lillard should also possess the Finisher attribute to reflect his ability to get to the free-throw line. He averaged seven free-throw attempts per game in the summer league.

2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Charlotte Bobcats) –Kidd-Gilchrist's game can be summed up in one word, relentless. Perhaps the most unique prospect in this year’s NBA Draft, Kidd-Gilchrist has the chance to be a special player in the NBA. He’s a terrific athlete, boasting both sprint and vertical leap measurements at the Draft Combine which mimic the NBA player he is often compared to; Andre Igoudala. What sets Kidd-Gilchrist apart however, are his intangibles. He plays with incredible intensity on each possession, and has the will and attitude of a winner Kidd-Gilchrist was the heart and soul of the National Champion Kentucky Wildcats. He is a lock-down, one-on-one defender, having limited opponents to 20 percent shooting on isolation situations, and an elite offensive rebounder at the SF position. He is also effective in the low post where he shot 56 percent and is a problem in transition. My one question mark for Kidd-Gilchrist was regarding his offensive game in the half court setting. But having seen him in limited time in Summer League, the same finishing and slashing ability he displayed in college was on full display, along with a jumper he seemed to shoot with more confidence.

Signature Skills in NBA 2K13 were made for guys like Kidd-Gilchrist. The impact he has on the floor goes so much further than that which ratings can capture. Besides the No. 1 guy on my list, this is the rookie I am most likely to start a My Player career with. Nobody seems to be mentioning Kidd-Gilchrist in the Rookie of the Year conversation right now, but I have a feeling that he’s going to make a case for it.

The challenge with Kidd-Gilchrist and his Signature Skills may be trying to decide which skill he DOESN'T deserve. Each player is allotted a maximum of five Signature Skills, but I imagine that no rookie will have more than three based on how cautiously they are rated in NBA 2K games. He is a Lockdown Defender, a great Finisher in transition, is one of the most intense Scrappers you will ever see and he gets a high number of Hustle Points as well. I look forward to seeing what they do with this guy.

1. Anthony Davis (New Orleans Hornets) – National Player of the Year, National Defensive Player of the Year, National Freshman of the Year, Most Outstanding Player of the 2012 NCAA Tournament, National Champion and Olympic gold medalist; Davis aka “The Brow,” comes to the NBA with an impressive resume for having only played a single year in college. Davis was easily the best player in college basketball this year and the consensus No. 1 pick among prognosticators in the 2012 NBA Draft. His incredible defensive instincts and shot-blocking ability reminisce of the 11-time NBA Champion Bill Russell. Davis, in fact, is one of the best shot blockers over the past decade, averaging an illogical 5.8 blocks per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He has outstanding hands for a big man, finishing above the rim on alley-oops and put-backs regularly.

A 6-foot-3 point guard in high school, Davis has above average ball handling ability for a 6"10' – 6"11' player, along with above average speed and quickness for a big man. He has a slim frame at 222 pounds which reminds me of a young Kevin Garnett, Davis’ favorite NBA player. Actually, with some improvement to his jump shot, face-up game and strength, Davis has the potential to surpass Garnett.

Davis is considered a shoe-in for Rookie of the Year by many analysts and a majority of his fellow rookies according to a recent poll on NBA.com. He is also my default pick for My-Player/Create a Legend mode in NBA 2K13. Unquestionably, Davis must at minimum have the Eraser and Defensive Anchor Signature Skills in the game. His NBA 2K13 rating was recently revealed to be an 80 overall, which sounds about right considering his defensive prowess. Once Davis develops that offensive game, watch out.

What rookies do you think should have made the list and what signature skills do you feel they deserve?

NBA 2K13 Videos