Home
Feature Article
Producer David Littman Talks NHL 14
Operation Sports recently had a chance to get an early glimpse of NHL 14, and senior franchise producer David Littman was there to give us the the lowdown on where the series has been up until now and where it will be headed with NHL 14.

“For NHL this console generation, it's been all about quality and innovation. When you look back at the generation, the NHL franchise really stands with the best of them,” said Littman. “We're really proud of that.”

Littman feels that year after year his NHL dev team has been staffed by people who live and breathe hockey, either from having played it or by being die-hard fans of the sport. He cites the lockout this year being a problem for all fans of hockey, including his dev team, but he feels that the NHL 13 product showed that his group still has the touch even when interest in the sport may seem to be waning in the public eye.

“It really just shows the fanbase we've built up. If they couldn't get real-life NHL, they could get it through our game,” said Littman.

A couple of stats were given to contextualize this passionate NHL 13 fanbase:
  • Over 1 million HUT “teams” were created
  • Nearly 500,000 users have played NHL Moments Live

In looking towards NHL 14, Littman said that he, alongside NHL series producer Sean Ramjagsingh, sat down with the entire NHL team and thought about the reach that EA Sports has a company, particularly since they have a deep pool of resources and technology that can be leveraged. Littman says that his team loves to play other EA Sports games, like Madden and FIFA, and that they share technology with those groups. “Being able to share that technology gives EA an advantage over other sports company out there,” he said.

The goal, according to Littman, was to search through the technology that EA had accrued over years and years of development and find the best in class, regardless of the team it came from. The other justification for this approach is apparently to allow accessibility for new users who may pick up NHL late in this console generation (much of what Littman said focused on this being “late in the generation,” indicating that a next-gen product is likely in development for next year). He feels that showing all the best of EA's technology in this final game gives late adopters a fulsome picture of what the NHL product is all about, which, one would assume, serves as a bridge into the next generation. Still, he cautioned that this accessibility doesn't mean it won't be a deep product for core gamers. “You never want to lose that piece,” said Littman.

For NHL 14, the mantra seems to be: speed, skill and aggression. This is what Littman refers to as “the hockey trifecta.” According to Littman, balancing these features is the key to everything. The core systems that inform this philosophy are:
  • Collision-physics Hitting System
  • Enforcer Engine
  • True Performance Skating 2.0
  • One-touch Deke System

Collision-physics Hitting System

Littman feels that NHL 13's hitting “wasn't up to par” with everything else in the game. He says that it was something identified by many reviewers of the game as well as by his own dev team. The issue, he believes, was with the input on the right stick as well as the inconsistency of the physics when a hit was initiated. Examples were shown of this, where players of significant size (such as Dustin Byfuglien) were unable to generate the expected impact, or where vulnerable players were unable to be taken down, even when shooting.

Littman spoke of the drive-through on hits being a necessity, which can now be handled by simply skating towards someone with the left stick and having the physics take care of the impact. Animations of the past were unable to accommodate the diversity of hitting that they're now striving for, which Littman feels has been achieved with this new system. The goal is to ensure that every limb is involved in a hit and that every hit looks different. Littman showed some examples, demonstrating shoulder-to-shoulder hits and the impact of a larger player hitting a smaller one.

NHL 14 is using the player impact engine from FIFA 13, where the size and strength of each player factored into the play on the pitch. “For FIFA, once they do a feature, they do it right,” said Littman. “What we can do now — which we couldn't do last year — is predict where a hit is going to take place.” This was shown in practice, where hitters will now “brace” for the impact they are about to deliver, and near-misses will result in proper partial impact, leg-on-leg collisions, and wobbled skaters. Littman stressed that the team is still working really hard to make sure that none of this starts to look too ridiculous, as unbridled physics can definitely get carried away. The team is able to regulate these physics by controlling pressure and impact points on each player and factoring that into collisions. Littman even joked that three members of his team have been just spending eight hours a day for the last three months hitting each other (in the game, of course) in order to get it right. They'll be doing this for the next three months as well.

Enforcer Engine

Fighting is something that is definitely unique to hockey, and there are very specific reasons it happens during a game. Littman feels that this is an aspect his team has yet to get right, and it's something they're putting some focus into this year.

In NHL 13, as Littman describes, fighting was a minigame that took you out of the experience. It didn't happen organically during a game, especially such as in the final minute of a contest, and that made it seem even more like a gimmick. Littman even acknowledged the goofiness of the fights taking place at centre ice, with no one on the ice or in the stands (something that always has looked really strange). He admitted that technological limits are a factor in this respect, but NHL 14 is looking to change that. He summarized fighting in NHL 13 this way: “It's a one-off, and nothing really comes out of it.”

With NHL 14, fights happen organically. If Pavel Datsyuk is run by an opposing player, someone on the Red Wings is going to come over and defend him, all in real-time. It might be a bigger defender or power forward, but the player initiating the fight will make sense based on the situation, which is a big key for the development team.

The fighting itself borrows liberally from EA's Fight Night series, where strength, speed and size differential were factored into punches and defense. “We were able to add clinching, jostling, maintaining balance and spinning each other around and really make it a hockey fight,” said Littman. He described how they tested out the Fight Night engine by staging goofy contests between players who had a significant height difference, and yet the punch targeting still worked. Much like in real-life, fights can end quickly, with the player who falls on top of the other being declared the winner (by the home crowd). Sticks, gloves, and players will be around the ice as it's happening, and one-punch knockouts are a possibility with some of the stronger players.

True Performance Skating 2.0

While Littman feels last year's skating engine was very strong, the team wanted to take it a step further, particularly on defense. “When there's a one-on-one on a defenseman, he wants to keep his 'facing direction' up ice at all times, even while he's moving side to side,” he said. To this end, they're adding the ability to “strafe” while falling back on defense, increasing the mobility and focus of defenders when dealing with the speedy forwards who benefited from last year's skating engine overhaul.

“In NHL 13, we couldn't get to what we wanted,” said Littman. “So there's a defenseman backing up, and he's not strafing. He would get a bit too far backwards, and he'd have to pivot and skate forwards. He's done all these extra moves that he shouldn't have to do.” By adjusting the crossovers and adding the strafing system, the defenders in NHL 14 can keep their facing direction and still be mobile. Much of the core offensive skating has remained similar to last year, but Littman seemed confident that his team had made the right changes to address lingering concerns about the system.

One-touch Deke System

For deking, Littman said the team wanted to address the complexity of loose-puck dekes. The feedback they have been receiving claims that they loose-puck dekes against defenders are too hard to pull off. Littman says that in NHL 13, it takes too long to execute a loose-puck deke, and the concept of reading and reacting, as done in the NHL by people like Evgeni Malkin, is lost.

In this year's game, the fancier dekes can be pulled off with just one button press, making the game accessible to people who haven't fully explored the depths of the skill stick. Admittedly, this seems like something that could lead to spamming, but Littman seems confident that the core gamers will enjoy the change as well. Since all dekes are now handled by pressing the left bumper, it means that even core players who couldn't quite do what they wanted last year will now have the time to do it, as several inputs have been eliminated.

“We haven't taken away anything from the depth,” said Littman. “If anyone wants to use the old dekes, it's still there.”

More to Come

Littman said that the team is also really excited about the “Live the Life” mode, which is the enhancement to Be-A-Pro, as well as bringing in the “online seasons” concept from FIFA to both HUT and EASHL. Littman also assured that goalies' side-to-side movement would be adjusted to properly reward two players setting up a great-looking goal. These features, as well as an ambiguous tease of the 20th anniversary of NHL '94, were left on the vine for further reveals in the coming months.

NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Fiddy @ 04/25/13 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmedges
Oh I've never played EASHL I was talking about offline be a gm mode. In that mode I feel there isn't many deflections or "dirty" goals, just a lot of cheap ones
well, the player types are obviously involved. how many of those players i mentioned on the ice together at the same time? ya know? but yeah, the lack of these types of goals in the game in general really sucks. bc a lot of goals happen via deflections, rebounds, etc. not much grinding it out in and around the crease.

# 42 addybojangles @ 04/25/13 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany
They better fix the AI teammates in EASHL. For 2 years straight now, the AI is horrible. How hard is it to have the AI know that if you are down a goal under 2 mins...but on the PK...to not dump the puck everytime. It's ridiculous.

EA has to realize that not every EASHL team has 6 humans. Most are 2 and 3 human teammates with the rest AI. As a winger, I should not have to immediately head back to my own net on every faceoff since the AI is going to give the puck up....

Here's hoping....
Oh, man. How this hasn't been addressed is one of the silliest things ever. I am constantly dumbfounded by CPU AI behavior in EASHL.

Here's something else: the weird tie-ups in front of the net. Give me an option to get out of the weird jostling animation, please.

# 43 onac22 @ 04/25/13 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addybojangles
Oh, man. How this hasn't been addressed is one of the silliest things ever. I am constantly dumbfounded by CPU AI behavior in EASHL.

Here's something else: the weird tie-ups in front of the net. Give me an option to get out of the weird jostling animation, please.
Yeah it sucks when the puck is in the corner and the game won't release the player. Same happens when a player gets by another on the boards only to be sucked back into a battle. Hopefully all the sucking animations are gone this year.

Edit: Ha! sucking animations. that just sounds like no good in any context.

# 44 Lindros88 @ 04/26/13 09:08 PM
NHL 13 was an obvious step in the right direction, but if they don't fix some of the glaring problems, 14 is going to be a complete bust. I like the direction they went in with the new skating engine in 13, but it is in need of some serious fine tuning. Being able to blow by entire teams with ease, on the hardest difficulty setting is completely unacceptable. Having uncontested entries into the offensive zone is another unforgivable flaw. The CPU players routinely choosing to pass instead of taking a shot when they have a clear shooting lane is another indication of poor programming.

The hits are also atrocious. Players getting hit and bouncing like basketballs and balancing on the tops of their heads is mental. Not being able to nail a player cruising through the neutral zone with his head down is infuriating. The hits have never been good in any NHL game if you ask me.

I'm ecstatic about NHL 14 because of the new fighting engine (been waiting for an authentic fighting engine since I was 11) and contact physics, but I hope it doesn't come at the expense of some much needed fine tuning in other aspects of the game.

# 45 CanuckJ @ 04/27/13 11:47 PM
how can I make my voice heard toward EA? I don't mind the way the game is now but I want create a team updated, just simple stuff, update all the available logos to reflect every team featured in the game and update all the available colors.

# 46 canucksss @ 04/29/13 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJ
how can I make my voice heard toward EA? I don't mind the way the game is now but I want create a team updated, just simple stuff, update all the available logos to reflect every team featured in the game and update all the available colors.
like you i did CAT and somehow disappointed that I am only limited in 2 uni's. why cant i have an alternate jersey/s?

# 47 CanuckJ @ 04/29/13 01:33 PM
Totally agree, but its just the options have been so limited since before they added the CHL, I just wish they would look at everything and not just add bells and whistles and release the game. CAT has so much potential they refuse to do anything about.

# 48 Reiny09 @ 04/30/13 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJ
how can I make my voice heard toward EA?
The answer to this question is part of the reason they were voted the worst company in the world for the second year in a row...You can't. Every year there is a wish list thread here with a ton of things that we want to see in the coming version but it seems like the list can pretty much be copied and pasted from year to year because none of it is ever addressed.

# 49 Sprtsgui @ 04/30/13 11:53 AM
I never post a comment usually just read others. But I must be compelled enough to give my thoughts. I have been a fan of EA since it started producing hockey games. Here is what EA should do with nhl 14!!!!

1. Improve overall presentation!! Look at last years madden game, HELLO?!!!! Have a broadcast team whomever they may be (gary thorne, bill clement) do a real life broadcast prior the the game starting just like in madden!! And also a little presentation in between periods!! I have heard Gary Thorne broadcast many hockey games in the past on espn and NBC etc., why isn't there more recordings of his voice showing his excitement when there is a late goal scored or an overtime goal?! Boring boring boring!!!! The broadcaster in any sports paints the picture of the game and makes it more exciting. If EA can't record more voice recordings of Gary Thorne or whoever the play by play broadcaster may be, don't bother having a broadcaster at all. Very disappointing here EA sorry!!

2. The fans are pathetic in the stands!!! The road team scores, and some of the fans with the home team jerseys lol are the ones standing cheering!! Are you joking me?! Also, it takes way too long for the fans or all fans to respond to a home team goal!!! It takes like an hr for the fan to grab the towel to wave!! Crowd is not loud enough!! The goal horns need to be a little louder in the game!!
Overall, fan authenticity needs to be better and animation needs to be more realistic to the game play events etc! Louder booing more booing and fans being up set in the crowd over a bad call or road goal!

When the home team scores a late goal to tie the game or to take the lead late in the game, or score in overtime, the fans should be louder and going a little more crazier with animated excitement then they do now!! It's really sad!!

3. Player acceleration needs to improve so hopefully what EA has mentioned regarding that feature, it really will improve!!

4. Referees need to be more precise on penalty calls!!

5. Please think twice about one button deking controls!

6. In game sound effects such as the puck hitting the post etc, needs to be more enhanced! And no it's noty sound system lol. I have awesome brand new energy speakers and sound bar and woofer which are an upscale model to the klipsch speakers!! And an LED tv so it's not my sound system!

Overall, just make nhl14 a more realistic game! More authentic and APPROPRIATE fan animation for home team and road team goals, penalties, etc!! Better more exciting broadcasting to actually go along with the game events!!! Overall sound quality , pucks hitting the post, goal horns, crowd booing or cheering louder and when appropriate, game presentation before the game starts and in between periods with real life game introduction from the broadcasters and game analyzation in between periods!

I hope EA reads these blogs!!!!!!!!!

Good luck EA! Please don't disappoint the hockey world!!

# 50 canucksss @ 04/30/13 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprtsgui
I never post a comment usually just read others. But I must be compelled enough to give my thoughts. I have been a fan of EA since it started producing hockey games. Here is what EA should do with nhl 14!!!!

1. Improve overall presentation!! Look at last years madden game, HELLO?!!!! Have a broadcast team whomever they may be (gary thorne, bill clement) do a real life broadcast prior the the game starting just like in madden!! And also a little presentation in between periods!! I have heard Gary Thorne broadcast many hockey games in the past on espn and NBC etc., why isn't there more recordings of his voice showing his excitement when there is a late goal scored or an overtime goal?! Boring boring boring!!!! The broadcaster in any sports paints the picture of the game and makes it more exciting. If EA can't record more voice recordings of Gary Thorne or whoever the play by play broadcaster may be, don't bother having a broadcaster at all. Very disappointing here EA sorry!!

2. The fans are pathetic in the stands!!! The road team scores, and some of the fans with the home team jerseys lol are the ones standing cheering!! Are you joking me?! Also, it takes way too long for the fans or all fans to respond to a home team goal!!! It takes like an hr for the fan to grab the towel to wave!! Crowd is not loud enough!! The goal horns need to be a little louder in the game!!
Overall, fan authenticity needs to be better and animation needs to be more realistic to the game play events etc! Louder booing more booing and fans being up set in the crowd over a bad call or road goal!

When the home team scores a late goal to tie the game or to take the lead late in the game, or score in overtime, the fans should be louder and going a little more crazier with animated excitement then they do now!! It's really sad!!

3. Player acceleration needs to improve so hopefully what EA has mentioned regarding that feature, it really will improve!!

4. Referees need to be more precise on penalty calls!!

5. Please think twice about one button deking controls!

6. In game sound effects such as the puck hitting the post etc, needs to be more enhanced! And no it's noty sound system lol. I have awesome brand new energy speakers and sound bar and woofer which are an upscale model to the klipsch speakers!! And an LED tv so it's not my sound system!

Overall, just make nhl14 a more realistic game! More authentic and APPROPRIATE fan animation for home team and road team goals, penalties, etc!! Better more exciting broadcasting to actually go along with the game events!!! Overall sound quality , pucks hitting the post, goal horns, crowd booing or cheering louder and when appropriate, game presentation before the game starts and in between periods with real life game introduction from the broadcasters and game analyzation in between periods!

I hope EA reads these blogs!!!!!!!!!

Good luck EA! Please don't disappoint the hockey world!!
great pointers!!! But I HIGHLY doubt EA read this in our board. Perhaps you could copy this and paste at EA Forums....oh wait....probably they will not read it at their own forum

# 51 Devmcdonnell @ 05/07/13 06:11 PM
NHL 13 was a HUGE disappointment, and it seems like NHL 14 is setting up to be yet another one.

True performance skating was a joke and is no where near representative of real skating (it achieves the opposite effect making game play more robotic). The physics engine was awful and I was excited to hear that they were working on it....then I read what they were fixing...they are making it easier to hit!? Players crumble to the ice like they are made of glass as it is, now you are going to make it easier for players to get knocked down?

I also have not heard one thing on any fixes to the GM Connected disaster from 13. This has the potential to be an amazing feature and they dropped the ball big time, yet there is no word on what they are doing with this.

It's ok though, EA is working on the fighting system in NHL 14, our prayers are answered.

For more points and things that DESPERATELY need fixing in NHL 14, check out my blog post of all the problems with NHL 13 - http://www.operationsports.com/Devmcdonnell/blog/21812-nhl-13-falls-short/

I don't know about you, but I'm gearing up for yet another disappointment by EA.

# 52 canucksss @ 05/08/13 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devmcdonnell
NHL 13 was a HUGE disappointment, and it seems like NHL 14 is setting up to be yet another one.

True performance skating was a joke and is no where near representative of real skating (it achieves the opposite effect making game play more robotic). The physics engine was awful and I was excited to hear that they were working on it....then I read what they were fixing...they are making it easier to hit!? Players crumble to the ice like they are made of glass as it is, now you are going to make it easier for players to get knocked down?

I also have not heard one thing on any fixes to the GM Connected disaster from 13. This has the potential to be an amazing feature and they dropped the ball big time, yet there is no word on what they are doing with this.

It's ok though, EA is working on the fighting system in NHL 14, our prayers are answered.

For more points and things that DESPERATELY need fixing in NHL 14, check out my blog post of all the problems with NHL 13 - http://www.operationsports.com/Devmc...3-falls-short/

I don't know about you, but I'm gearing up for yet another disappointment by EA.
one of the comments there was that this game is made to enjoy or having fun and not real. I guess EA cannot produce a game that is FUN and closely realistic.

i found myself being disappointed with EA after 08, yet i find myself buying every game after that. sure there were minor improvements but those things that were working in previous issues were removed and that adds to disappointment for most of us.

this time around, i'll not buy NHL 14 if there's no significant changes in the gameplay etc. yea, even if EA has the new conferences/divisions...i will not buy this game.

# 53 Money99 @ 05/10/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
one of the comments there was that this game is made to enjoy or having fun and not real. I guess EA cannot produce a game that is FUN and closely realistic.

i found myself being disappointed with EA after 08, yet i find myself buying every game after that. sure there were minor improvements but those things that were working in previous issues were removed and that adds to disappointment for most of us.

this time around, i'll not buy NHL 14 if there's no significant changes in the gameplay etc. yea, even if EA has the new conferences/divisions...i will not buy this game.
I haven't really played this series since NHL10. I did buy NHL11 and 12, but both were sold within a week and I haven't even rented NHL13.

I'm kind of hoping that being away for so many years will help me enjoy NHL14 more.
But that will depend on how many boosts the CPU gets and how dumb my AI teammates are.
If I see my CPU guys staring at the opponent while the AI rapes me anytime I look at the puck, and if the CPU is able to snipe goals with Colton Orr, then I know it'll be going on Ebay within a few days.
New physics won't be able to fix any of those things.

# 54 canucksss @ 05/10/13 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I haven't really played this series since NHL10. I did buy NHL11 and 12, but both were sold within a week and I haven't even rented NHL13.

I'm kind of hoping that being away for so many years will help me enjoy NHL14 more.
But that will depend on how many boosts the CPU gets and how dumb my AI teammates are.
If I see my CPU guys staring at the opponent while the AI rapes me anytime I look at the puck, and if the CPU is able to snipe goals with Colton Orr, then I know it'll be going on Ebay within a few days.
New physics won't be able to fix any of those things.
for me, since my time for playing games is limited due to work and family, i can only devote my playing time with one sports game plus other (RPG or Sim in PC). So i pick NHL everytime as compared to basketball etc. I dont have a choice since hockey is my #1 sports so I always buy EA since the demice of 2k.

This time around, I'll take my stand. The only reason why I have NHL 13 is because my wife gave it to me as a gift. If minimal changes were implemented in NHL 14 in regards to gameplay, presentations etc. I'll stay away from NHL 14.

# 55 Money99 @ 05/10/13 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
for me, since my time for playing games is limited due to work and family, i can only devote my playing time with one sports game plus other (RPG or Sim in PC). So i pick NHL everytime as compared to basketball etc. I dont have a choice since hockey is my #1 sports so I always buy EA since the demice of 2k.

This time around, I'll take my stand. The only reason why I have NHL 13 is because my wife gave it to me as a gift. If minimal changes were implemented in NHL 14 in regards to gameplay, presentations etc. I'll stay away from NHL 14.
I'm kind of in the same boat. A hockey game was always my sports choice.
But over the past 3 years, I've purchased basketball and baseball games to fill the void.
The NBA and MLB 2K series have been great fun for me (and The Show as well).

If NHL14 is status quo, I'll probably go with those games again, or possibly even the new EA UFC game.

# 56 unisol_us @ 05/27/13 06:32 AM
Whats up with the stupid broken glass all of the time?

# 57 ManiacMatt1782 @ 05/28/13 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
i would love if there was a mode similar to CC that we have in madden..thats the only thing keeping me from being a yearly buyer of NHL
GM connected was intoduced in 13. It is full out online franchise that also allows otp.

# 58 peter21 @ 05/28/13 06:08 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up for any drastic improvements to NHL 14 as it's the last year on the old consoles. Time and effort are going into the next gen where we may or may not get a good game.

I play EASHL with some friends and we have a love/hate relationship with the game. There are moments of great fun and utter frustration. I'm sure you all have similar feelings.

I think EA would be better served by splitting the NHL franchise into 2 games... one that focuses in the online stuff (EASHL) and another for the GM/Be A Pro lovers who enjoy that aspect. GM Connected kind of straddles this line, so I don't know where that fits in, but the marketing department can figure that out!

Rather than split their resources, they could create more effective games to try and satisfy both sides, because as it is they simply have too many features for one game to get them all right. The Be A GM and Be A Pro would normally be right up my alley, but they lack immersion and I find myself bored within a week of either.

Who knows, maybe this is a possibility down the line as the idea of gaming evolves away from physical discs to wholly downloadable content. Just an idea.

# 59 nyrangers81 @ 06/08/13 05:09 AM
Let me guess, still no stamina in a career mode?

# 60 THESHAMISASHAME @ 06/20/13 06:22 PM
The Funny thing with all the new NHL rules coming fighting will be gone in 3 or 4 years lol

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.