Home
Feature Article
Dave Thompson Interview: Talking NASCAR Gaming and the Future!

It’s been nearly six months since Eutechnyx released their latest NASCAR simulation, NASCAR The Game: Inside Line. As we approach Summer and the heart of the NASCAR season, we wanted to check in with Dave Thompson, lead developer of Inside Line, and find out what the plans for this title are moving forward.

It was just last month that fans were treated to the new Gen-6 car and weekly highlight races in a DLC package that Eutechnyx made available, and now Dave was kind enough to sit down with us, and let us know what fans can expect in the immediate future and beyond.

Operation Sports – Dave, obviously fans are excited about future DLC and retail versions of NASCAR, but how long Eutechnyxs plan on supporting the current title that is out?

Dave Thompson -We are supporting the 2013 season with DLC content; there are no current plans to release another patch.

OS - Is there any possibility of including the ability to race the 2013 Gen-6 cars in season or career mode for the current retail version?

DT - Unfortunately not in the console version of NTG:IL – this would require a complete remapping of the current game with the new car models and would essentially be a new game.

OS -  When do you feel we might see the Camping World and Nationwide series included, and can it be done via DLC? Or do we have to wait for the next disc version?

DT - In order to include the Camping World and Nationwide series we have to go through a massive and lengthy licensing process, having every sponsor, logo and decal signed off by respective brands/companies, it takes a long time to process and we simply would not be able to provide that content for NTG:IL. This is without the process of modeling and developing how the series’ would be incorporated into the game. However, it is again something we are looking into for future incarnations of the franchise.

OS – People love racing online, but sometimes a full lineup of people you trust is hard to come by. Dave, any chances we see the ability to incorporate AI drivers alongside user cars online in future titles?

DT - This is something that we have considered for future titles, we are working hard on improving the structure and gameplay that we already have to ensure that we can provide the best NASCAR experience there is on consoles

OS - Have you guys considered adding in a league mode online that will keep track of points and results for members who want to race in a league on a weekly basis?

DT - We know that the community and fans of our NASCAR games take leagues very seriously, and they play a big part in how the game is played. We are certainly looking into options whereby we can offer league players something that would make league management easier.

OS – We know it must feel like Inside Line just dropped, but can you talk about when fans might see the next retail version drop?

DT - We are in talks about the next game and we are more than likely looking at a 2014 release on current generation consoles.

OS - There are a lot of rumors floating around about a possible PC version being worked on, can you validate and expand on any of that?

DT - Yes, we have had a strong demand to bring NTG:IL to PC as there hasn’t been an officially licensed NASCAR game on the platform for a number of years. We are pleased to tell you that we are currently working hard to bring NTG:IL to the PC which will be delivered via Steam in the Summer, again we will have an official announcement soon giving you all the details, but I can say that there will be some extras that will keep fans happy.

OS- There has been limited information about a mobile app becoming available, would you care to share any more information about this?

DT - The mobile app will be a iOS and Android app released this Summer, it will be a touch reaction game getting you into the heart of the NASCAR action. There will be an official announcement coming soon.

OS – Dave, obviously there is a lot of buzz about the new consoles coming out, are you currently working on a title for the next-gen systems?

DT - We believe that there is still life in the current generation of consoles and we still have options to use that we can push to continue the development of the NTG series. It’s too early to solely concentrate on the next-gen cycle, so although we will be working on a next-gen title in the future, currently we are focusing our efforts on the current generation.

OS - We would like to thank Dave for taking the time to answer our questions and throw some exclusive nuggets to NASCAR fans!

As you can see there are lot of things to be excited about, and the fact that a PC version is in the works should make a lot fans happy. Most fans would have probably like to have seen a final patch for the current game, and the ability to include the Gen-6 cars in season or career mode.
However, with a mobile app, a PC version, a retail version in 2014, it makes sense that at some point you have to move forward. We would like to thank Dave for taking the time to chat with us, and hopefully answering all the question that most fans have been talking and wondering about. We will try and sit down with Dave as the PC version and mobile app are close to release, and see what new information might be available.

NASCAR The Game: Inside Line Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Mo @ 05/01/13 05:48 PM
Well done Bob on the possible PC game breaking news

# 2 Feldman011teen @ 05/01/13 06:59 PM
They don't deserve this title. The guy says there's no new patches expected, but they are working hard on their online interface? This game was a step backwards and it's completely broken.

# 3 Rules @ 05/01/13 07:26 PM
I think right now it doesn't make sense for the license to be handed off too soon. How many times can we afford to have a Nascar racing game started from scratch? They are learning so it is a process!

Personally, I would much rather they focus their attention on the next generation systems so that we really have a great game coming in the near future. I like what they are doing here folks..........opening it up on the PC. With this comes modding / additions / improvements.

They are understaffed and until they bring on more experienced hands on deck, it will be slow going over the next few years. There is only one company that I wish had the license but I am going to leave it at that so they can continue to focus on their F1 series

# 4 bigdoc85 @ 05/01/13 09:47 PM
I don't understand the lack of interest in next generation consoles for this game. Heck, I don't understand a lot of the decisions with this game. It's a great "foundation" but not supported at the level that many people are expecting.

# 5 brandon27 @ 05/01/13 10:04 PM
Really... a new release in 2014, that won't be on the next gen consoles?

Seriously, at that point, what's the point???

I did read that correctly right??

# 6 sketchy1 @ 05/01/13 10:52 PM
bla bla bla, we have no business making racing games and have no clue how to code them nor do we want to spend the money/time to support the products by fixing them, bla bla bla... no one give this company any $$$ and maybe they will go away.

# 7 bigdoc85 @ 05/02/13 03:22 AM
SMH

What the heck? It seems like everyone is interested in developing on the new consoles except them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Really... a new release in 2014, that won't be on the next gen consoles?

Seriously, at that point, what's the point???

I did read that correctly right??

# 8 Lieutenant Dan @ 05/02/13 01:04 PM
Thank you for the article, Bob! Nice writeup, as always my friend.

As to Dave's responses....hmmmmm. Based simply on the print, I have to agree with footballfan41. It's almost sounding like the air is going out of Dave's tires on this game/series.

Quite honestly if it weren't for our league, I am not sure I'd be playing Inside Line. It's quite fun in our league because of the good driving, respect, and banter. But offline it's still just too spotty, especially in comparison to another young driving series, F12012.

Granted that's Codemasters' third F1 title compared to Eutech's second NASCAR title, but Eutech has always seemed a bit lost compared to what Codies has done. Even if you go F12010 vs NASCAR: The Game the gulf between the two is enormous, especially from a SP point of view.

Eutech is going to have get it right in 2014. There will be no more room for 'close' or 'maybe one more year'. They need to deliver, especially in offline modes.

# 9 XMrAngryEyesxX @ 05/02/13 02:28 PM
Make a next gen title with consoles that have more capabilities? Nah... we'll just stick around the current gen for awhile.

# 10 celticfang @ 05/04/13 09:44 AM
How much of what he says is what the devs have been told to do by the publishers though?

# 11 bluengold34_OS @ 05/04/13 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfang
How much of what he says is what the devs have been told to do by the publishers though?
Good point Celtic. Dave has always been a straight shooter with me, but you never know how much publishers play a part in what in what they can say, or how they can say it.

# 12 celticfang @ 05/07/13 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Good point Celtic. Dave has always been a straight shooter with me, but you never know how much publishers play a part in what in what they can say, or how they can say it.
Don't forget it's Activision publishing it as well (or was for NTG), so it's very, very likely they could have set down PR rules for the interview and told him what he could say or couldn't say, that is something a big publisher would definitely do.

Based on how Dave's been when I've spoken to him and an ex-employee (let's call him Bob Smith), Bob confired that Dave's a straight talking, no nonesense guy who cares about his projects, which makes me think Activision did step in and start telling him what to do. That'd cause anyone to lose enthusiasm for what they are doing if they get jerked around by a major publisher.

I'm going to be very, very cynical here, so bear with me.

Activision has never published a PC NASCAR game before, and they want to make a good impression on PC users, so they could send Dave prepared PR statements to use in interviews. I'm willing to bet if you took him out for drinks, off the record, he'd say what he really thinks.

EDIT: By that I mean that isn't the Dave I recognize giving the interview, unless he's either got bad news to give, is being coached by a publisher, or just is generally upset with the way the series is going. I've a mind to head up to their offices if anyone wants a soundbite from the team, it'll be in quote form mind you as I can't exactly attach a whole dictaphone and expect it to work.

Though the impression I get from Dave's interview is this:

We want to do stuff but we're coming up against a brick wall. I'd love for Dave and Co to keep the license and build on it. As for this and people complaining about no more patches

Quote:
Dave Thompson -We are supporting the 2013 season with DLC content; there are no current plans to release another patch.
I'm not sure how it is for consoles,but don't the patches cost in terms of money? I think I read somewhere it's a sizeable fee to submit a patch and that it has to be a certain max size for the X360, then it has to be certified for both platforms and finally rolled out.

That is of course, if the publisher WANTS to patch the game. Not to bring Activision's certain other flagship franchise into this, but their record of patching games leaves a lot to be desired.

# 13 Kentucky_Wildcat23 @ 05/18/13 02:10 PM
Nascar games were one thing that EA was able to do a good job on and I had high hopes for the Nascar game when Activision took over, but now I'm just dissapointed. I really wish they would listen to the gamers and take our suggestions to add Camping World Series and Nationwide along with the Sprint Series. An online league mode would be great, but they have to fix all their online issues before they do that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.