Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 14 Recruiting Guide

This is a guest post from forum user JLoco11. Be sure to check him out on his arena page here on OS.

I did quite a bit of testing this weekend with recruiting and the skill tree to get an idea of how things will work when I do my normal dynasty (after the rosters are completed). I simmed multiple first seasons of dynasty with different level teams, progression rates and recruiting methods and gained a decent amount of knowledge in doing so.

Here’s a very early guide for those interested in some recruiting tips. As your skill tree changes, so will your need to choose different recruiting tactics.

Basics

Know the value of your team. Unlike other NCAA’s, ’14 puts an emphasis on school strengths AND coach strengths in terms of recruiting. A Sun Belt school isn’t going to land the top 15 recruits in year 1. Big name schools (USC, Texas, Bama, Ohio State) are going to have easier times in year 1 recruiting. If you take a mid-tier/3* star school, you will have to work harder to land coveted recruits.

Plan your depth chart. I can’t stress this enough, you need to balance out the amount of Seniors, Juniors, Redshirts, etc on your roster. If you go into a recruiting season with 23 seniors, you will have a hard time filling all those spots. Use redshirting wisely to balance out how many players will graduate (or potentially leave school early). 15-18 positions to fill is reasonable. 20+ will be much more difficult in your early years.

Target what you need. Getting all 25 scholarships in year 1 will be a challenge (except for the top schools). 12-15 targets is ideal to capture what you need. Replace outgoing Seniors, and plan ahead for star underclassmen that could leave for the draft.

Plan your coaching skill tree ahead. I will go into more detail on this later, but planning ahead on what recruiting boosts you will need is the ideal way to get an advantage over other schools.

Advanced

Location Location Location. It seems a large percentage of recruits value Proximity to Home in ’14… it’s quite a popular dealbreaker in the game. While you may have a pipeline across the country (Cali, Texas, Florida), you might see that a recruits priority is Proximity to Home, and you will not land that recruit. Ideally in your first year, go for recruits close to home, or those that do not have Proximity to Home as a requirement.

Higher Need = Higher Points. Goes without saying, but throw everything you can into your top recruits. The CPU does this every time. They max out points into the recruits they want, and schedule visits before you do (more on this later). Don’t be cheap on points with the absolute needed players.

Offer scholarships immediately. Only 1 school (Bama) has the insta commit skill available from the default settings. Unless you alter the skill trees, no school will get insta commits until you rank up your skill tree. That being said, offer scholarships immediately since there is no reason to wait. You want to jack up your point totals early, so if you want a recruit, give them a scholarship offer right away.

Use the filters!!! One of the additions to the point system is a filter that shows you the largest lead & deficit you have when recruiting. You can sort your recruits by these and it will show you how much ground you are ahead or behind, which can determine how many points you want to invest in a recruit. Late in the season, when visits are occurring and battles begin, this is imperative to use… no joke, you will thank me later.

The lonely recruit. If you get lucky, you will target someone that nobody wants. You will notice that after a few weeks, you gain a significant point advantage over other schools, and may notice no scholarships are offered to that student. If that is the case, REMOVE all points from him! You will be wasting valuable points on someone who will be heading to your school as long as you offered him a scholarship. Use the points somewhere else.

Bonus Points will help. You will notice each recruit receives automatic bonus point total each week, and this is NOT a random number. The bonus points are affected by how you play each week, from beating rivals to your play style. For example, Pocket Passing QB’s will get more bonus points the more yards you pass for. Scrambler QB’s will get more points for QB rushing yards. Balanced will benefit from both. This goes for all positions, and each tendency requires something different from your team. Pay attention to the bonuses.

CPU’s logic. Out of curiosity, I decided to make some coordinators mid-season to see how certain schools were recruiting. EVERY school goes after 10 players or so with max points. They don’t bother with partial points, they put the max into the positions they want. If they can put 550 points, they put 550 points into a recruit. If they can put 700, they put 700, there is no middle ground with the CPU. So if you find yourself in a battle with a school, remember that they put the max points every single week.

On Campus Visits

Visits now require strategy. In prior games your only worry was when to schedule visits. Now the on campus visit takes MUCH more priority and knowledge and essentially is the heart of recruiting. The first part of recruiting is getting enough points to earn a recruit visit. Since recruits will only make 5 visits, the importance is escalated even higher.

Get into the 5! I can’t stress this enough, you MUST get into a recruits top 5 choices to at least get an on campus visit. Visits can be worth over 1,000 points (some can go up to 1,500 points). If you miss out on being in a recruits top 5 for a campus visit, you might as well give up on him, since your chance of landing him becomes extremely minimal.

Complimentary & Competitive. In years past, you could schedule 3 QBs to visit in a week and there was no penalty. Now, the game tracks which recruits are visiting each week AND adds a compliment or competitive point total. Complimentary points measure players who mesh well, like QB WR, OL etc or DE, DT, MLB etc. You receive bonuses for complimentary visits. On the other hand, you receive Competitive deductions for schedule rival players, such as 2 Kickers or 4 WR’s. Avoid competitive visits by scheduling any competitive player during a different game. However, if you followed my original advice on managing the depth chart, you should do your best to avoid recruiting too many players at 1 position.

When to visit. This is the biggest gamble you will take. Scheduling a recruit later in the year means more points on the visit. BUT, if the CPU schedules just before you, they could actually steal away your recruit with a good visit. Scheduling early could give you an early lead that you can build off of, but if another team manages a solid late in the year visit, they could steal that recruit back. Unquestionably, this is the part of the game that will determine where a recruit will sign. You only get 1 visit, and will need to make it count.

CPU schedules first. 1 thing to note, if you and the CPU unlock enough interest for a visit at the same time, the CPU will schedule their visit before you do. They might take a week you want, and there is nothing you can do about that. This is why you need to get a lead quickly to get first dibs on your visit week. If you’re fighting with 5 teams, and all 6 of you unlock the visit interest… guess what, the 5 CPU schools will schedule their visits before you do. This puts an even bigger stress on how hard you recruit your players.

Pay attention to visit bonuses. When recruits visit, they will also pay attention to how your team plays when they arrive. If you have a TE visiting, you can get a 200 point bonus if you have a TE with 100 yards receiving. If you have a CB visiting, you will get a bonus for having 2 interceptions or 4 passes deflected. Each time recruits come to a game, make sure you hit their bonuses for more points on a visit.

The Yo-Yo Effect. When the CPU starts their visits, it's perfectly normal to fall behind by huge numbers. You will see 1,500 - 2,000 point swings in their favor. Depending on the time of year, this could be a small nuisance, or a huge roadblock. If this happens in earlier weeks, then you have a chance of passing them with your visit. If their visit happens later in the year, and if they have a successful visit, you could LOSE the recruit entirely, watching them commit to that school. Don't be alarmed if you see yourself fall behind after a CPU campus visit... but be wary of the schools that have late seasons visits.

Off Season

1 week to sign. EA shortened the final signing period to 1 day, where you have no limits on how many points you can put into 1 player. You can assign 1 recruit max level points (the highest is 15,000) or spread out your point total among your final players. This is your last chance to land the recruits you want and need, so make sure you land that recruit.

Expect heartbreak. If you made it this far, and have 8+ recruits that you’re battling for, expect to lose quite a few of them. The CPU logic is to throw all their points at some recruits, so if you’re fighting with XYZ school, expect XYZ school to throw all their points at that candidate. If you’re trying to space out your points among multiple recruits, chances are you won’t land many. Ideally, if you have only 2-3 recruits you want or need, that’s where to spend all your points. Whatever recruits you didn’t sign during the season, you will have a slimmer chance in the offseason to get all of them.

Transfer/Draft promises. It seems that promises for recruits are no longer available (unless I missed the screen they were located on, which I don’t think I did). The only promises you can make now, are for players who are leaving, who you can try to convince to stay. You can promise them getting a degree, or better draft position if they were to hold out another year before entering. If you promise someone they will be a first round draft pick, that becomes something they will hold you to. So be honest in your assessments of their talent.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 adamsjh @ 07/17/13 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
Didn't Ole Miss have a top 5 recruiting class this past year?
Depends on which rankings you look at. Some had them top 5. Everyone had them at least top 10.

# 42 kade742 @ 07/17/13 04:56 PM
I've had a decent lead on a recruit and had the cpu get sometimes nearly 1600+ point weeks on me when they didn't have a visit. Any ideas what this due to? These have happened when I am putting in max points and have a higher bonus as well.

# 43 TimLawNYC @ 07/26/13 01:13 PM
If I'm below the "Projected Cut Off Line" for a recruit, does that mean I'm locked out on that guy, even if it's only week 2 of my season? Or is there another step when the "Projected" line becomes "Official" later and that's when I'm locked out?

# 44 44drob @ 07/26/13 07:21 PM
saw this late good read

# 45 jarato @ 07/27/13 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLawNYC
If I'm below the "Projected Cut Off Line" for a recruit, does that mean I'm locked out on that guy, even if it's only week 2 of my season? Or is there another step when the "Projected" line becomes "Official" later and that's when I'm locked out?
There's still another step. Once it says 100% locked then its official.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 46 jasontoddwhitt @ 07/27/13 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kade742
I've had a decent lead on a recruit and had the cpu get sometimes nearly 1600+ point weeks on me when they didn't have a visit. Any ideas what this due to? These have happened when I am putting in max points and have a higher bonus as well.
Most likely, the CPU coach used his locksmith ability on the particular recruit.

# 47 sadetsky @ 10/02/13 11:44 PM
just a couple of questions for the beginning of each season: how many players should you have on your recruiting board at one time. and how many points should you give them. like should you have max players and evenly distribute points? or should you go just 10 at a time and give them max points? would it be okay to not give any points to some players.

# 48 jello1717 @ 10/03/13 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadetsky
just a couple of questions for the beginning of each season: how many players should you have on your recruiting board at one time. and how many points should you give them. like should you have max players and evenly distribute points? or should you go just 10 at a time and give them max points? would it be okay to not give any points to some players.
ALWAYS have 35 guys on your board. Even the ones you spend 0 points on gain bonus points every week and there is no downside (except for possibly lowering playing time pitches for guys that you are actively pursuing) to having them on your board.

How many points you spend per recruit depends on each individual recruit and how much other teams are pursuing them.

# 49 Dannyboy3323 @ 10/28/14 01:41 PM
Thanks for this. I have a question for everyone regarding starting as a new coach. The quickest way to level up I found was to set school records for passing and receiving in each game. What schools have the easiest records to set? I found that South Alabama is pretty easy with 360-passing yards, 2-rec. TDs, 140-Rec yards. All are school records which net 200 points. Please reach out if you have found an easier school to do this with.

# 50 wings95 @ 11/17/14 09:53 AM
Is there away in the offseason to get a recruit to visit when it says that certain recruit is ready?? Thanks

# 51 jbrew2411 @ 11/17/14 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy3323
Thanks for this. I have a question for everyone regarding starting as a new coach. The quickest way to level up I found was to set school records for passing and receiving in each game. What schools have the easiest records to set? I found that South Alabama is pretty easy with 360-passing yards, 2-rec. TDs, 140-Rec yards. All are school records which net 200 points. Please reach out if you have found an easier school to do this with.
I would assume that any of the "newly" added schools in 14 would be that way. I started one at UTSA awhile back and I remember setting a few records in my first season.

# 52 RogerDodger @ 09/05/16 03:46 PM
I just picked up a copy of NCAA 14 after trading it in a few years ago, the recruiting is impressive and this guide is excellent. Nice job putting this together.

# 53 NoleFan @ 10/16/16 09:52 PM
These are very good tips. Never really thought about using the filter to my advantage.

Don't know if it was on OS or not but saw a tip about going to all prospects later in the season and looking for kids with a low lock percentage who are essentially not being recruited. Tried that and found the #4 CB in the nation just hanging out. After one max point week, we're #2 on his list and down by less than 100 points.

These kinds of tips will help to start getting some talent at Akron to build a respectable program.

Thanks again!

# 54 R1zzo23 @ 10/16/16 10:03 PM
I never liked doing that as I find it very unrealistic that the #4 CB in a recruiting class would literally have his pick of schools across the country to choose from. But I'm also very harsh on myself and force realism in my dynasties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 55 NoleFan @ 10/17/16 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
I never liked doing that as I find it very unrealistic that the #4 CB in a recruiting class would literally have his pick of schools across the country to choose from. But I'm also very harsh on myself and force realism in my dynasties.

I used to use a lot of the restrictions that I read around the forums and while I like them, I'm a CPU vs CPU guy. That is all the handicap I need. Lol

# 56 foe84 @ 10/17/16 08:42 PM
how does school recruit interest work in terms of higher quality recruits?

Won national champion, have interest in mostly 3* and some 4*, 1 5*

I targeted some guys (4* and some 5's) who are below 17% lock and will try to see if I can get some commits. I'm starting out 500 pts behind or less more most.

I had the #1 recruiting class the year before, just odd bc i remember the old games the recruit level jumped one season to next quite significantly.

# 57 NoleFan @ 10/17/16 09:15 PM
So as a follow up... the #4 CB went to South Carolina and the #18 QB went to Florida State.

Learned a valuable lesson. I started out behind and ended the regular season with a substantial lead (1500+ points) heading into offseason recruiting. Off-season is definitely not to sign the last 3-4 guys.

I took my 10,000 points and evenly distributed them between the top 5 guys that I wanted to get. My CPU competition, as JLoco told us, must've went balls to the wall because I came away with nothing.

I now know off-season is to get that one guy that you've worked all season. [emoji30]

Quote:
Expect heartbreak. If you made it this far, and have 8+ recruits that you’re battling for, expect to lose quite a few of them. The CPU logic is to throw all their points at some recruits, so if you’re fighting with XYZ school, expect XYZ school to throw all their points at that candidate. If you’re trying to space out your points among multiple recruits, chances are you won’t land many. Ideally, if you have only 2-3 recruits you want or need, that’s where to spend all your points. Whatever recruits you didn’t sign during the season, you will have a slimmer chance in the offseason to get all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 58 utahjazzfan123 @ 11/11/16 06:59 PM
I really want to hear people's thoughts on how points work when unlocking a recruit. I often see myself leading a recruit, a CPU team is locked out, they use an unlock on the recruit, and then all of a sudden they gain 2,000-3,000 points in one week. Drives me nuts when other teams do that to me.

When a team unlocks a locked recruit, is there a systematic way that those unlock points are given? Why might one unlocked recruit jump up 1,800 points and another one jumps up 2,400? Is there a way to semi-accurately predict how far they will jump up?

I almost wonder if using locks could be an additional strategy for some of my own recruits. Why spend points on them when you could potentially use an unlock on them and climb back into the race just the same? I once heard a fellow dynasty member talk about how if you were in the recruit's top 5 at the beginning of season, then unlocked them, that is when you jump up high, but I haven't really tested out that theory for myself.

I have done many seasons of NCAA 14 dynasty, but still feel very inexperienced when it comes unlocking a locked recruit (cpu doing it or myself).

# 59 jello1717 @ 11/11/16 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahjazzfan123
I really want to hear people's thoughts on how points work when unlocking a recruit. I often see myself leading a recruit, a CPU team is locked out, they use an unlock on the recruit, and then all of a sudden they gain 2,000-3,000 points in one week. Drives me nuts when other teams do that to me.

When a team unlocks a locked recruit, is there a systematic way that those unlock points are given? Why might one unlocked recruit jump up 1,800 points and another one jumps up 2,400? Is there a way to semi-accurately predict how far they will jump up?

I almost wonder if using locks could be an additional strategy for some of my own recruits. Why spend points on them when you could potentially use an unlock on them and climb back into the race just the same? I once heard a fellow dynasty member talk about how if you were in the recruit's top 5 at the beginning of season, then unlocked them, that is when you jump up high, but I haven't really tested out that theory for myself.

I have done many seasons of NCAA 14 dynasty, but still feel very inexperienced when it comes unlocking a locked recruit (cpu doing it or myself).
Lockpicks are actually very simple to know how many points they give. The team using it will move exactly halfway between 1st and 2nd place. In order to use a lockpick the team needs to be locked out and within 2000 points of the last unlocked team.

IE1:
1st: --
2nd: -500
last: -1000
You: -2000 (locked out)

Using a lock pick will move you into 2nd place @ -250 (500/2) for a gain of 1750 (from -2000 to -250).

This is before the week's points are spent. If the unlocking team has a visit scheduled that week, then the jump can be huge. If 1st and 2nd are close (meaning that you'll only be trailing by a few after the pick) and last is a long ways out and you're a long ways from last, then the jump can also be huge.

IE2:
2nd: -10
last: -1600
you: -3500

After the lockpick, it'd look like this:
You: -5
3rd: -10 (former 2nd)
last: -1600

So in this example, you'd gain 3495 (from -3500 to -5) just from the lockpick itself. Add in a visit this week and it'd be an even bigger jump.

# 60 jayhawkfan11 @ 11/16/16 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foe84
how does school recruit interest work in terms of higher quality recruits?

Won national champion, have interest in mostly 3* and some 4*, 1 5*

I targeted some guys (4* and some 5's) who are below 17% lock and will try to see if I can get some commits. I'm starting out 500 pts behind or less more most.

I had the #1 recruiting class the year before, just odd bc i remember the old games the recruit level jumped one season to next quite significantly.
The default recruits that are interested in your team is mostly based on your Team Prestige rating. If you are a 6* vs 1* prestige you will drastically notice the talent of recruits interested in your program. Location/other recruiting ratings like play style can also dictate what type of recruits are interested but overall Team Prestige is the main driver.

However, as we all know a 1* prestige team can wait until week 3/4 to search for all recruits under 25% interest and simply load up on all the 4/5* ATH/other recruits the CPU doesn't look at which allows for user teams to get way overpowered very quickly if you don't have any house rules.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.