Home
Feature Article
OS Roundtable Review: NCAA Football 14

What is your review of NCAA Football 14?

Ben Vollmer: My experience with NCAA '14 thus far is actually pretty easy to describe: the game is fun to play for the first time in years. Ultimately, that's what it all comes down to for me. The fact of the matter is that the series has been incredibly frustrating since NCAA '06, and that has been heartbreaking to me as a huge fan of college football. It didn't need to be perfect, it just needed to be fun again.

There are a lot of improvements that I've really enjoyed thus far. The first of which is that just about every play actually works this year - at least offensively. Not only is this great for the replayability of NCAA '14, it helps the CPU give you a competitive game of football. When I think about college football, I think about opening up the playbook and getting it to your playmakers. That's exactly what my experience has been like thus far, and I'm loving being able to use every play and every formation in my playbook. Defensively, EA still needs to tighten up the zones a little bit. Especially when you're playing against the CPU, the middle seems too soft and can be a little too easy to exploit. Not to mention, the defensive back glitch has made its way over from NCAA '13 in a slightly less pronounced manner, so we should keep an eye on that as well.

NCAA Football still hasn't reached the heights of some of the more prestigious sports video games, but it has taken a few steps in the right direction. We're looking at a game that finally works in almost every aspect, and delivers on all of its promises. This is the first year where expectations have been exceeded for me, and I'd like to think EA can take that momentum into the next generation of consoles.  Thumbs Up

Matthew Coe: In limited time with NCAA Football 14, I've had great experiences initially. I have to say that I'm very pleased with this year's effort. I'm generally happy with the line play, new ball carrier moves, new spread option plays, and extremely adjustable difficulty settings. NCAA 14 is a really good game and the best since NCAA Football '06. This year's game just feels good to play and is a breath of fresh air.

One theme I have felt in playing this year's game however, is there is still room for improvement in NCAA.

This game is a great most of the time, but there are so many little things that could have made it an all-time instant classic. I'm still looking forward to the updates in the uniform store, still looking forward to (hopefully) seeing a patch to address aggressive defensive backs on All-American and Heisman difficulty, and I'm watching all of the slider threads on OS closely. In the past I've been guilty or tweaking sliders as much or more than I have played the game, and I don't want to let that happen again this year. I'm gonna try to find a decent set that fits my play style and roll with it. I hate to come back to it, but I see so much room for improvement in recruiting, roster management, AI decision making, presentation in dynasty mode (not just commentary) and so much more that I'm hoping to see in the next couple of iterations, especially on next-gen hardware. While I would say that I'm satisfied with this year's effort for the most part, I'd like a patch to address overly aggressive DB play, and I'd like a renewed focus on RTG mode and a overhaul of recruiting as well as an expansion of the skill trees next year.

For now, I'm happy with NCAA Football 14 and I see myself putting in a lot of hours this year with Infinity Engine 2.0 driving much of the gameplay. Overall, I'd give this year's game a big thumbs up so far! I'm playing the game more often and more frequently early on than any other NCAA Football game on this generation so far. Ultimate Team is a fun little addition too that I've spent quite some time with. Thumbs Up.

Chris Sanner: This year's NCAA Football has been released and I'm honestly pretty happy with this year's edition. There are some quirks which will probably not be fixed until next-gen, if then even, but this year's game seems to play the best version of NCAA Football yet on next-gen consoles.

The gameplay this year is about as good as this series has had, although I'm finding the defenses are sometimes powerless thanks to the variety of options (literally) the offense can employ. Defense needs serious attention in EA Football as a whole, if only to make it more fun and to put some power back into your hands -- zones just seem to be off still largely, despite huge advances in the past few years over the defensive AI.

Dynasty mode is good, the recruiting is good but different. You have to adjust your tactics to get the players you want. It's a good streamlined system, and I hope it's refined moreso than revamped in coming years.

While NCAA Football 14 can't be mistook for perfect, it's a solid game worthy of your attention. If you are a fan of the series, this is the best it's had to offer on this generation of consoles. You should buy it and enjoy it yourself before making the jump to next-gen football this winter. Thumbs Up.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 12:43 PM
Summary:

# 2 ShadowBoxxr @ 07/17/13 12:50 PM
Good idea - you guys should continue with it. And perhaps you add a user poll to go along with it.

# 3 ty5oke @ 07/17/13 12:51 PM
"NCAA 14 is a really good game and the best since NCAA Football '06. "
"but this year's game seems to play the best version of NCAA Football yet on next-gen console"

Seems like these quotes get tossed around every year with this game.

# 4 The_Wise_One @ 07/17/13 12:52 PM
Agree with Ben, the fun factor is finally back. That has made all the difference.

# 5 BigBadTom @ 07/17/13 02:50 PM
Seems more fun, but there are a ton of issues that are notorious in NCAA (commentary, presentation, lack of effort in player faces, poor o line/d line play, poor animation engine outside of the ball carrier, the QB still holds the ball by his waist (there isnt a qb on the planet who holds the ball that low) and a few other thousand issues to be addressed)

# 6 der juicen @ 07/17/13 03:28 PM
Once the defensive issues get ironed out, this WILL be one of the best, in general, football games in a long while.

# 7 skundy @ 07/17/13 03:47 PM
Give my slider set a try and you will be bamboozled with the how great the game is.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ncaa-football-sliders/642305-real-deal-gridiron-heisman-sliders.html

# 8 HenryClay1844 @ 07/17/13 05:25 PM
I'm real surprised to hear people say ncaa 06 was the gold standard, I remember hating that game with a passion and only playing it a handful of times. I always thought the one with Matt Lienhart was the best. This years is clearly the best I've ever played.

# 9 The JareBear @ 07/17/13 05:27 PM
Bottom line is game is fun as hell and hopefully keeps getting better

# 10 gatorsinRENO @ 07/17/13 08:04 PM
my fav was ncaa 04 with carson palmer on the cover. i remember it has the video tutorial on how to lead receivers on it, and then last year that was a "new feature" that was touted!

# 11 dat boi Q @ 07/17/13 08:30 PM
Is it the best this gen? Yes

But really is that saying much? No

If you are looking for a sim game do not buy. If you are looking for a fun game and can look past some hiccups here and there pick this game up.

# 12 SamDaMan_15 @ 07/18/13 02:40 AM
pretty good game but could of been a lot more balance

# 13 BDawg35 @ 07/19/13 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
"NCAA 14 is a really good game and the best since NCAA Football '06. "
"but this year's game seems to play the best version of NCAA Football yet on next-gen console"

Seems like these quotes get tossed around every year with this game.
Yep! And I hated NCAA 2006. I never understood why it has been hailed as the greatest NCAA by so many. I think that's when impact players were introduced and, as always with EA, this new feature was overblown. I spent less time with NCAA 2006 than any other version. The CPU would chuck deep balls on you with huge leads in the final minutes - and they were cash-money plays! I personally liked the next version, NCAA 2007, the best.

Even if NCAA 2014 is a big step forward (and I haven't played it enough yet to say), I doubt any momentum will carry into next-gen. In this generation, it seemed like EA took a few years to figure things out - and many of us would say they never really did.

# 14 MysteriousPanther @ 07/20/13 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDawg35
Yep! And I hated NCAA 2006. I never understood why it has been hailed as the greatest NCAA by so many. I think that's when impact players were introduced and, as always with EA, this new feature was overblown. I spent less time with NCAA 2006 than any other version. The CPU would chuck deep balls on you with huge leads in the final minutes - and they were cash-money plays! I personally liked the next version, NCAA 2007, the best.

Even if NCAA 2014 is a big step forward (and I haven't played it enough yet to say), I doubt any momentum will carry into next-gen. In this generation, it seemed like EA took a few years to figure things out - and many of us would say they never really did.
I didn't know NCAA Football 06 was the best college football game, period. I've heard different opinions about which game is the best. As for NCAA Football 14, I only played at least hour & an half of the demo. Its an improvement (running animations, less magnetic tackling, NIKE Trainer Skills mode & etc) & I hope I can rent the game to see if its the best or not.

# 15 BenGerman @ 07/20/13 03:35 PM
I'm watching College Football on ESPN U, and as someone who gave the game a good review, it's pretty apparent this game still has a long way to go to look like a game of college football.

Honestly, I think it's the perfect time for a next-gen title. NCAA '14 feels like a game that did the best it could with what was given. I think the way EA entered this current gen was a death sentence for the game these last few years. Now, the game gets some momentum going in the right direction, and gets to leave some of the legacy issues behind (hopefully).

# 16 CT Pitbull @ 07/21/13 08:56 PM
for the first time in YEARS I find myself playing back to back games. Instead of playing a game and then saying "ah, that's enough for today." I am really, really, REALLY LOVING the NO FUSS "Season Mode" as I don't really have time to get into recruiting and such. I like to concentrate on the on the field action along with checking the stats time to time. That mode really has been a great addition for me. I also LOVE the new ZOOM camera angle and pretty much its the only angle I play at. It's great for both the pass and especially the running game. What better way to show off improved line play than a zoom angle?

I would also like to see defense tightened up but that's not to say I haven't had defensive struggles at times. I have gone with Authentics slider set and really haven't changed anything. That set has provided shootouts as well as slobberknockers for me. the only thing I have really cut out of my playbook is the streak plays. I still call fades but just not 4 or 5 recievers all running streaks IMO that play shouldn't even be in the playbook. Well, maybe just Hail mary play in ONE formation. anyways im rambling on here.

NCAA14 is a BIG thumbs up in MOST aspects. the graphical upgrade (colors) is the icing on the cake for a lot of us as well

# 17 acarrero @ 07/22/13 12:14 AM
Playing exclusively with ZOOM camera myself, cannot go back to normal now.

# 18 buckeyedawgtribe @ 09/24/13 11:27 AM
Did they fix the freezing in dynasty. its the only reason I have not picked up the game yet? I have seen numerous complaints about this.

# 19 NYGIANTS44 @ 04/13/14 08:54 AM
Can you declare early after junior year in RTG?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.